Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
5 hrs ago
Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
13 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
5 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #21761

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
I would only buy them again if they came out with the unaltered original cuts in 4K.
I don't think that's ever gonna happen. They'll have only remastered these versions and it will be the last home video release (in terms of resolution / HDR.) They will re-release them in steelbooks / individually but it will be this transfer.

It sucks that Disney couldn't be bothered releasing the films in Dolby Vision / HDR10+ and even downgraded TLJ to HDR10.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #21762
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Those Star Wars UHD discs have to sound awesome with Dolby Atmos 7.1. Those seem like titles that would benefit from immersive audio. Weren't those titles some of the first that came out on DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX? I know my Star Wars Ep 1 DVD had DD 5.1 EX.
Yup. Episode 1 was the first movie ever in Dolby Digital 5.1 EX (adding mono 6th channel, not discrete but a derivative of surround L and Surround R aíla centre channel in Pro Logic)
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #21763
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLee View Post
Titles available on HDR10+ not many at all vs Dolby Vision.
Not taking a side here but that could change with time. It has been said that HDR10+ licensing (here) is much less than DV, have not looked into DV licensing fees. The adopters list (here) is a lot bigger than the last time I looked which was many months ago.

I am going to see what Stacey Spears (of Spears and Munsil, here) has to say on the subject.
Thanks given by:
SCLee (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #21764

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Not taking a side here but that could change with time. It has been said that HDR10+ licensing (here) is much less than DV, have not looked into DV licensing fees. The adopters list (here) is a lot bigger than the last time I looked which was many months ago.

I am going to see what Stacey Spears (of Spears and Munsil, here) has to say on the subject.
Thanks for the links. Once my new player comes I'll have access to both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision and it will be interesting to compare them.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #21765

Feb 2010

Quote:
Those Star Wars UHD discs have to sound awesome with Dolby Atmos 7.1. Those seem like titles that would benefit from immersive audio. Weren't those titles some of the first that came out on DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX? I know my Star Wars Ep 1 DVD had DD 5.1 EX.
Early reviews are saying that they got the audio right aside from having to turn up the volume a bit. I held off on the set because my OCD didnít like the way it would sit in my collection, so I am going with individual discs.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #21766

Nov 2013

There are some 4K titles on Disney+ that are not on UHD Disc like The Black Cauldron. I wonder if it's scheduled for a physical release? Most of the titles are in HD if they're only available on Blu Ray. Ones that have an UHD disc release are in 4K.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #21767
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Once my new player comes I'll have access to both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision and it will be interesting to compare them.
What player did you purchase?

When your display was calibrated did the person doing the calibration provide you with a PQ curve? If so, was it center screen, % of screen and all of screen?
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #21768
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Rise just killed my interest cold. Just the originals for me. The rest donít exist in my mind anymore.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #21769

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Rise just killed my interest cold. Just the originals for me. The rest donít exist in my mind anymore.
Rise is a bit of a mess and a ROTJ rip-off (still, I've only seen it once, and I wasn't in the best of moods when I did.) I like TFA's but it could be better.

I was bitterly disappointed when I left the cinema after seeing TLJ because I liked TFA's so much. But TLJ has grown on me, minus that horrible 'on hold' joke which never will.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #21770

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
What player did you purchase?

When your display was calibrated did the person doing the calibration provide you with a PQ curve? If so, was it center screen, % of screen and all of screen?
I bought the Panasonic UB150EB because it has HDR10+ there is no bitrate reader, but oh well. I could buy an expensive one now (the 9000) but that might be more for people with fancy surround sound systems and bigger TV's. If I had an 85 inch TV (which I never will) I'd probably buy that. I may still get a high end model, later on, but I'm not sure the 9000 has DV or HDR10+ anyway.

I've read some reviews today and they say that the DP-UB820EB is better than the 150 because it has HCX but it also says, benefits will be more noticeable on a 65 inch and above screen. That was £325. I went for the 150. Remember that this player is only for the bedroom.

As for the calibration, I don't know! I wasn't at home at the time (working) and it was six months ago.

Last edited by SCLee; Yesterday at 11:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #21771

Nov 2013

Brass Tax has released a review for the original trilogy on youTube.

He says there isn't that much of a difference between the Disney+ versions and the disc versions. He says the discs vary in quality and while they are better than streaming, it's not a huge difference, slightly better resolution, slightly better colours. He also said, it depends on your equipment and if you sit further back from a smaller set, you might not notice any difference in resolution. He did say he might pick up the discs now because even with the minimal difference, the discs are better.

The question is: is that difference worth £200 / $250? For me, probably, because I want the boxset on the shelf and the extras (that I'll likely never watch!) Plus I wanna see them with my own two eyes and make up my own mind. This set will likely hold its value and so I could always sell it on.

Last edited by SCLee; Yesterday at 11:58 PM. Reason: Bad English
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #21772
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I would only buy them again if they came out with the unaltered original cuts in 4K.
It is a ritual now; I have been buying Star Wars movies on every format since VHS. I am a well trained consumer.

When George Lucas dies, we might see a release of the original unaltered trilogy. Disney, like most of the major studios, loves reselling us the same titles over and over.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #21773
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I bought the Panasonic UB150EB because it has HDR10+ there is no bitrate reader, but oh well. I could buy an expensive one now (the 9000) but that might be more for people with fancy surround sound systems and bigger TV's. If I had an 85 inch TV (which I never will) I'd probably buy that. I may still get a high end model, later on, but I'm not sure the 9000 has DV or HDR10+ anyway.

I've read some reviews today and they say that the DP-UB820EB is better than the 150 because it has HCX but it also says, benefits will be more noticeable on a 65 inch and above screen. That was £325. I went for the 150. Remember that this player is only for the bedroom.

As for the calibration, I don't know! I wasn't at home at the time (working) and it was six months ago.
Congratulations on your new 4K disc player; I hope that you are very happy with it despite the lack of a bitrate readout.

I am pretty certain that the Panasonic flagship 4K disc player, the UB 9000, supports Dolby Vision. I am not sure about HDR10+, but I wouldn't be surprised if it supported that also.

If there is one thing that I have learned with this hobby is never to say never. Just one year ago and I, too, would have thought that an 85" TV was out of my reach. TVs are bigger and more affordable than ever before and that made it possible for a fixed income retiree like me to be able to have one.
Thanks given by:
SCLee (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #21774

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Congratulations on your new 4K disc player; I hope that you are very happy with it despite the lack of a bitrate readout.

I am pretty certain that the Panasonic flagship 4K disc player, the UB 9000, supports Dolby Vision. I am not sure about HDR10+, but I wouldn't be surprised if it supported that also.

If there is one thing that I have learned with this hobby is never to say never. Just one year ago and I, too, would have thought that an 85" TV was out of my reach. TVs are bigger and more affordable than ever before and that made it possible for a fixed income retiree like me to be able to have one.
It's not that though, it's space and how silly it would look in the available space, if I went higher. Also, once you go OLED... and as you said the 85 inch OLED is 30K out of my reach now and forever!

The 9000 is 2 years old though, are you sure it supports DV?
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #21775

Nov 2013

Quote:
It is a ritual now; I have been buying Star Wars movies on every format since VHS. I am a well trained consumer.

When George Lucas dies, we might see a release of the original unaltered trilogy. Disney, like most of the major studios, loves reselling us the same titles over and over.
Let's make a $10 bet. LOL. I doubt the films will see another release, transfer wise, either the new or older versions. I think this will be it for physical media. Disney can't even be bothered to add DV / HDR10+ I think they see this release as hassle and a necessary evil.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #21776
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:

Good luck with that thought. The whole original trilogy has been digital enhanced to not distract from the prequel trilogy as wiki says.

Quote:
The first significant changes were made in 1997 with the release of a Special Edition remaster in commemoration of the franchise's twentieth anniversary. These changes were largely made as visual effects tests for the forthcoming prequel trilogy. Additional notable changes were made when the original trilogy was released on DVD in 2004, in an attempt to create more consistency with the prequel trilogy after the release of Attack of the Clones and in anticipation of Revenge of the Sith. More changes were made to the films for their Blu-ray release in 2011, and for their Disney+ release in 2019.
George Lucas and Disney is only interested in making sure all movies are being consistent to each other. Where are those people that would be complaining about recent changes also?

Last edited by JohnAV; Today at 12:50 AM.
Old Today, 02:45 AM   #21777
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
It's not that though, it's space and how silly it would look in the available space, if I went higher. Also, once you go OLED... and as you said the 85 inch OLED is 30K out of my reach now and forever!

The 9000 is 2 years old though, are you sure it supports DV?
The Panasonic UB 9000 supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision:

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consume...000.specs.html

^Scroll down to the "High Quality Picture" section.
Old Today, 02:47 AM   #21778
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Good luck with that thought. The whole original trilogy has been digital enhanced to not distract from the prequel trilogy as wiki says.

George Lucas and Disney is only interested in making sure all movies are being consistent to each other. Where are those people that would be complaining about recent changes also?
I have my unaltered laserdiscs of the original trilogy backed up to DVD and there are other avenues to obtain far higher quality sources, but that topic is taboo.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 03:01 AM.
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #21779
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Let's make a $10 bet. LOL. I doubt the films will see another release, transfer wise, either the new or older versions. I think this will be it for physical media. Disney can't even be bothered to add DV / HDR10+ I think they see this release as hassle and a necessary evil.
I'm on a fixed income; $10 is too risky for me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology