Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

$14.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.62

Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Up 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.36
23 hrs ago
Abominable 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.00

Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.36

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.87

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #41

Jul 2017
Default Retired Flyer

I have 2 2016 LG OLEDs that are perfect for 3d. I've asked LG several times to please start manufacturing them again and get no answer. If I had multi billion$ I'd try to buy LG's 3d technology and build a 3d tv factory somewhere. Bet I could get James Cameron to do the commercials. There's a demand for 3d tvs at a fair price so that anyone looking for a new tv could afford it. My LG OLEDs were VERY expensive and by now, there must be a way to lower the cost of LG's passive technology.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (11-18-2019), robtadrian (12-01-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #42

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Flyer View Post
I have 2 2016 LG OLEDs that are perfect for 3d. I've asked LG several times to please start manufacturing them again and get no answer. If I had multi billion$ I'd try to buy LG's 3d technology and build a 3d tv factory somewhere. Bet I could get James Cameron to do the commercials. There's a demand for 3d tvs at a fair price so that anyone looking for a new tv could afford it. My LG OLEDs were VERY expensive and by now, there must be a way to lower the cost of LG's passive technology.
The yield rate on LG OLED panels is between 55 and 60%. That means between 45 and 40% of the panels they make have to be thrown out.

Now you understand why LG's OLED TVs are so expensive as compared to LCD TVs where the yield rate is close to 99%.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #43

Sep 2013

What does not make sense is that the software was already written , all they had to do was leave it in the sets (like projectors do )except for the passive sets that had a film on the panel. and what about all the employees in the companies that got discounts on sets up to high level managers who probably bought them for friends and family members. Think maybe they would want the sales to continue. Seems strange that these CEOs and board members that go home to enjoy the 3d would want it to go away. Makes no sense.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #44

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
What does not make sense is that the software was already written , all they had to do was leave it in the sets (like projectors do )except for the passive sets that had a film on the panel. and what about all the employees in the companies that got discounts on sets up to high level managers who probably bought them for friends and family members. Think maybe they would want the sales to continue. Seems strange that these CEOs and board members that go home to enjoy the 3d would want it to go away. Makes no sense.
Whenever you do television manufacturing for the masses you have to take into account how your product is being used versus what it is costing you to provide an extra feature like 3D.

Between the royalties, licensing fees, hardware and software the cost for passive 3D was more than $50 per TV. For shutter glasses style 3D it was approaching $100.

3D for the home went up like a skyrocket . . . super fast . . . then BANG . . . it disappeared. Consumers found that watching 3D in theaters is not the same as 3D in their homes. Too many distractions at home that most consumers consider normal: lying down on the couch, lights on, talking/searching on their cell phone, talking with others in the room, reading newspapers and magazines. All next to impossible while wearing 3D glasses.

It cost money to get 3D on their TV. There was no free 3D content like there is for HD (OTA). You had to get a new BD player. You had to buy 3D discs. Too expensive for Joe Sixpack.

So Joe simply didn't use the 3D feature on his HDTV. And manufacturers who are always looking to save a buck realized this so saving $50 to $100 was a BIG deal to them when you are making millions of TVs. That coupled with declining 3D ticket sales in theaters (which continues today) put an end to 3D TVs
Old 11-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

The comments about people multitasking are pretty spot on. People seem to think I'm weird for wanting silence while watching a movie at home. Most folks seem to treat movie watching like a tailgate party where it's fair game to talk about anything under the sun unrelated to the film as it's playing or basically treat it like a MS3TK session. And I know plenty of people who will 'watch a movie' basically as background noise where they'll half pay attention as they're doing house chores or on Facebook, etc.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (11-26-2019), DJR662 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #46
Power Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Whenever you do television manufacturing for the masses you have to take into account how your product is being used versus what it is costing you to provide an extra feature like 3D.

Between the royalties, licensing fees, hardware and software the cost for passive 3D was more than $50 per TV. For shutter glasses style 3D it was approaching $100.

3D for the home went up like a skyrocket . . . super fast . . . then BANG . . . it disappeared. Consumers found that watching 3D in theaters is not the same as 3D in their homes. Too many distractions at home that most consumers consider normal: lying down on the couch, lights on, talking/searching on their cell phone, talking with others in the room, reading newspapers and magazines. All next to impossible while wearing 3D glasses.

It cost money to get 3D on their TV. There was no free 3D content like there is for HD (OTA). You had to get a new BD player. You had to buy 3D discs. Too expensive for Joe Sixpack.

So Joe simply didn't use the 3D feature on his HDTV. And manufacturers who are always looking to save a buck realized this so saving $50 to $100 was a BIG deal to them when you are making millions of TVs. That coupled with declining 3D ticket sales in theaters (which continues today) put an end to 3D TVs
I lay down all the time when watching 3D movies. Just have to adjust your head a little bit.

But the rest of your points are very valid
Old 11-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #47
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
The comments about people multitasking are pretty spot on. People seem to think I'm weird for wanting silence while watching a movie at home. Most folks seem to treat movie watching like a tailgate party where it's fair game to talk about anything under the sun unrelated to the film as it's playing or basically treat it like a MS3TK session. And I know plenty of people who will 'watch a movie' basically as background noise where they'll half pay attention as they're doing house chores or on Facebook, etc.
Those people arenít film fans though. Casuals at best.

Having said that, I know many people who are like me and want silence when watching a film. (Especially a highly anticipated one).
Thanks given by:
bavanut (11-26-2019), GreatGreg (11-26-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
4k3d, broadcast, external processor, resurrection