Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
20 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
Kill Butterfly Kill & American Commando 6 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
Herzog: The Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$45.99
20 hrs ago
Streets of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
20 hrs ago
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Summer School (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (Blu-ray)
$13.99
20 hrs ago
The Flash 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Silver Bullet 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.00
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 11:13 PM   #41941
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
It was well documented that it would be this expensive. Like I say, itís more for developers and well off tech enthusiasts. Nobody bats an eyelid when 100 inch Micro LED walls are priced in the high thousands after all. This will be filtered down to a more mainstream device in 3-4 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:55 PM   #41942
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

It’s not even wireless.
Surely the next version will be.

Last edited by bhampton; 06-06-2023 at 12:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (06-06-2023), Steedeel (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:25 AM   #41943
crutzulee crutzulee is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
crutzulee's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
Toronto
18
Default

I know that I'm in the minority on this thread about streaming's ability to one day catch up with current physical media quality, but I don't think I'll ever come around to the idea of watching a movie with a headset...

My most magical movie memories were introducing my kids to certain movies and looking over to sneak a peek at their faces at the critical reveal points...

I'll never forget those moments in movies like T2 and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK...I was so fortunate to experience these moments twice as they became age appropriate at different times.... more recently, when my daughter and I experience films together for the first time, there is nothing better than we both stop and look at each other on amazement when something unexpectedly cool happens up on the screen... I know, i know we're supposed to be focused on the movie... but those moments are pure magic... and would be totally lost if we were wearing our own individual headsets...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-06-2023), Ender14 (06-06-2023), gotmule (06-06-2023), russweiss1 (06-06-2023), Steedeel (06-06-2023), Vilya (06-18-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:40 AM   #41944
Better in Blu Better in Blu is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2010
North Palm Beach
649
1355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
I know that I'm in the minority on this thread about streaming's ability to one day catch up with current physical media quality, but I don't think I'll ever come around to the idea of watching a movie with a headset...

My most magical movie memories were introducing my kids to certain movies and looking over to sneak a peek at their faces at the critical reveal points...

I'll never forget those moments in movies like T2 and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK...I was so fortunate to experience these moments twice as they became age appropriate at different times.... more recently, when my daughter and I experience films together for the first time, there is nothing better than we both stop and look at each other on amazement when something unexpectedly cool happens up on the screen... I know, i know we're supposed to be focused on the movie... but those moments are pure magic... and would be totally lost if we were wearing our own individual headsets...
Hence the reason 3D is basically gone. No one wants to wear bulky glasses or headsets to watch a movie. I had a 3D Plasma with multiple sets of glasses, and my friends would try it once, but it was like a novelty for them.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:46 AM   #41945
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Iím glad my system supports 3D but no one I know wants to watch anything in 3D.

I do like VR and have the PSVR and Oculus Go but I would not use either for a full hour.

It will be interesting to see how well Apple does with the Vision Pro.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:51 AM   #41946
crutzulee crutzulee is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
crutzulee's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
Toronto
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better in Blu View Post
Hence the reason 3D is basically gone. No one wants to wear bulky glasses or headsets to watch a movie. I had a 3D Plasma with multiple sets of glasses, and my friends would try it once, but it was like a novelty for them.
... well, we do still watch the odd 3D movie together. We both loved the original Avatar and will definitely watch the sequel after my son muxes the ATMOS track from the 4K to the 3D video from the blu... if memory serves, my daughter and I shared a mouth agape moment watching Friday the 13th in 3D...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:49 AM   #41947
cheez avenger cheez avenger is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
424
1101
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
In case anyone missed the keynote, here is a showcase of the future.

Introducing Apple Vision Pro - YouTube


Rich and broke rich people's plaything. Great concept as usual, but that price is beyond ridiculous. In my area sales tax is 10.25%, so it puts it at almost $4,000. GTFO with that noise. lol
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-06-2023), Ender14 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #41948
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Looking more into the Apple Vision Pro, what I see is a race against time to market this before people realize they won't want it.

Will it be allowed on planes - I don't think so. Vr is not currently allowed on planes and that's where I would want it most.
Will it be used for computing - I don't think so ... MS Word with this is awkward.
Will it be used for porn - absolutely
Will it be bad for you eyes - absolutely
Will it be good for subjecting people to ads -absolutely

I have Apple everything - Mac Mini, Watch, ATV4K, iPhone, airpods and Apple One subscription. I'm pretty enthusiastic but I think the moment for VR has passed.

Spiderman's Multiverse is awesome
Facebook's Metaverse is a dud.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #41949
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
I know that I'm in the minority on this thread about streaming's ability to one day catch up with current physical media quality, but I don't think I'll ever come around to the idea of watching a movie with a headset...

My most magical movie memories were introducing my kids to certain movies and looking over to sneak a peek at their faces at the critical reveal points...

I'll never forget those moments in movies like T2 and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK...I was so fortunate to experience these moments twice as they became age appropriate at different times.... more recently, when my daughter and I experience films together for the first time, there is nothing better than we both stop and look at each other on amazement when something unexpectedly cool happens up on the screen... I know, i know we're supposed to be focused on the movie... but those moments are pure magic... and would be totally lost if we were wearing our own individual headsets...
To your first point, it’s not that streaming can’t eventually match Blu-Ray and UHD for bit rates and lack of artefacts, it’s the desire to do so isn’t there. Data centres are under pressure to cut energy use, 4K and full HD is very doable at low bit rates due to new codecs and compression tech, large bit rates are not necessary for the masses who are perfectly happy with ‘watchable’, even when it comes to HD.
For streaming services, shaving bit rates is the priority, not the opposite. That’s not going to change in a world where excessive energy use is scrutinised. High bit rate 4K isn’t going to cut it, the target will be getting decent looking 4K in the single digits on a consistent basis with 720p HD now possible at former SD bit rates, acting as the basic offering across the board.

Your point about movie watching, this is not the endgame. I doubt even Apple think a pair of sexy ski goggles is the future of spatial computing and entertainment.
They want to learn and shape AR, eventually getting this tech in a pair of glasses. AR has the ability to lock computer generated objects in place, play a game of chess with a AR board and ultra realistic chess pieces, the tech will remember where you are at and position everything as it was when you left it, including the board if you had it on a table or floating in your living room.
That will apply to displays. Lock it to your wall and it will be there when you next walk into that room. Your whole family will be able to view that display and will be able to see each other clearly through the glasses.

Last edited by Steedeel; 06-06-2023 at 11:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #41950
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Looking more into the Apple Vision Pro, what I see is a race against time to market this before people realize they won't want it.

Will it be allowed on planes - I don't think so. Vr is not currently allowed on planes and that's where I would want it most.
Will it be used for computing - I don't think so ... MS Word with this is awkward.
Will it be used for porn - absolutely
Will it be bad for you eyes - absolutely
Will it be good for subjecting people to ads -absolutely

I have Apple everything - Mac Mini, Watch, ATV4K, iPhone, airpods and Apple One subscription. I'm pretty enthusiastic but I think the moment for VR has passed.

Spiderman's Multiverse is awesome
Facebook's Metaverse is a dud.
Itís not VR Brian. Itís a mixed reality/Augmented reality headset for spatial computing and entertainment.
Apple is saying we will interact with apps and screens via touch and moving our eyes. Itís a whole new way of interacting that they see taking shape over the next decade. We are still thinking of current computer interactions.

Obviously, AR glasses would be allowed on planes. Floating 100 inch screen with discrete spatial audio. Too big? Go down to 50 inches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #41951
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Obviously, AR glasses would be allowed on planes. Floating 100 inch screen with discrete spatial audio. Too big? Go down to 50 inches.
Time will tell. I would love VR on a plane but I donít think itís currently allowed
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #41952
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Rich and broke rich people's plaything. Great concept as usual, but that price is beyond ridiculous. In my area sales tax is 10.25%, so it puts it at almost $4,000. GTFO with that noise. lol
I might be getting one and Iím not rich!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #41953
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
We both loved the original Avatar and will definitely watch the sequel after my son muxes the ATMOS track from the 4K to the 3D video from the blu
Do you know what tools he uses to do this?

I have used MKVToolNix to mux a couple of Blu-ray video and DVD audio together. I would like a tool where I could see if the lip sync was correct before muxing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:47 PM   #41954
Warm Gun Warm Gun is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Warm Gun's Avatar
 
Dec 2020
103
589
103
2
10
Default

You would just compare frames in your media player of choice. MPC has a high precision option if you right-click on the timer. To make it easier, pick a frame immediately before transition to another shot.



4794
-3160
=1634 milliseconds

BD audio needs a -1634 ms delay. Obviously, you wanna check once near the beginning of the movie and once near the end to make sure it's consistent.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #41955
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
My dedicated HT also has a 7.2.4 ATMOS speaker setup with room correction and sound treatments of course.
Have you had a chance to check out several immersive audio movie titles yet? Top immersive favorites?

Rebecca Ferguson - PBS had a three part Wild Scandinavia and she did the narration.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-06-2023), Steedeel (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 08:11 PM   #41956
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
673
2208
49
5
18
Default

Everything is better because even 7.1 mixes are better now that the surrounds are lower and i have the rear speakers.

I have a lot of music related Blu Rays like from Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, ect .. and the 5.1 music mixes are greatly improved by the new speaker placement. I also played some Taylor Swift for my daughter in ATMOS on Apple Music.

I really enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons and Kubo and the Two Strings
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gotmule (06-06-2023), Steedeel (06-06-2023), Vilya (06-18-2023), Wendell R. Breland (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:07 PM   #41957
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Have you had a chance to check out several immersive audio movie titles yet? Top immersive favorites?

Rebecca Ferguson - PBS had a three part Wild Scandinavia and she did the narration.
If I can hijack your question, so far, my most immersive audio titles would be as follows:-

Old:
Highlight: clever use of surrounds with channels complimenting the cameraís swooping, sweeping and freezing with directional travel of ambient sound while the children play Tag.

Top Gun: Maverick
Highlight: Any cockpit dogfight or exercise, although the whole film is standout.

Matrix:Resurrections
Highlight: dive bombing, high rise swarms and bike escape. Enough said

Dr Sleep (recently mentioned)
The true knot shootout but so many other high points too.

Many other contenders, but thatís what springs to mind.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (06-07-2023), gotmule (06-06-2023), Wendell R. Breland (06-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #41958
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default Kdenlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
You would just compare frames in your media player of choice. MPC has a high precision option if you right-click on the timer. To make it easier, pick a frame immediately before transition to another shot.
Not sure what the last 3 digits mean. For a very long time for me, Time Code has been HH:MM:SS:FF (hours, minutes, seconds and frames). Our Ampex AVR-1 (below) used neon nixie tubes to display tape time or time code.

My VideoReDo software will open a MKV of a Blu-ray or DVD, have not tried a MKV of a UHD Blu-ray. It displays time code as usual.

Intend to checkout Kdenlive.

[Show spoiler]

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:01 AM   #41959
Warm Gun Warm Gun is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Warm Gun's Avatar
 
Dec 2020
103
589
103
2
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Not sure what the last 3 digits mean. For a very long time for me, Time Code has been HH:MM:SS:FF (hours, minutes, seconds and frames). Our Ampex AVR-1 (below) used neon nixie tubes to display tape time or time code.

My VideoReDo software will open a MKV of a Blu-ray or DVD, have not tried a MKV of a UHD Blu-ray. It displays time code as usual.

Intend to checkout Kdenlive.

[Show spoiler]


Wha...? It's all milliseconds. That timer at the bottom of my media player is HH:MM:SS:MS. I don't measure frames when I'm muxing with delays in MKVToolNix. When I said frames, I only meant finding the same picture in each version of the movie by frame-stepping with Ctrl + Left/Right and then subtracting one timecode from the other, not which numbered frame of the movie it is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:30 AM   #41960
cgpublic cgpublic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Gotham
473
1852
51
359
91
455
43
7
Default About The Future (It's Right There In The Thread Title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
I know, i know we're supposed to be focused on the movie... but those moments are pure magic... and would be totally lost if we were wearing our own individual headsets...
Not necessarily.

Consider a future where new 180-degree 3D Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, Dune or LotR franchise offerings are created from the ground up in 8K & Spatial Audio, and watchers, regardless of their location, can not just look, but interact with each other using FaceTime SharePlay.

The great thing about the future is the wealth of opportunities to experience something new and create lasting memories with those you love.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.