Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Outer Limits: Season Two $32.72 (19 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Shin Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.24

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$71.13

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Glass (Blu-ray)
$11.99

It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$24.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 08-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #581
Special Member

Aug 2013
Sugar Land, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
You need to have your oled calibrated man. With all motion effects turned off there is 0 soap opera effect. You are completely wrong.
It could also be issues with HDMI cables and settings. When I initially upgraded, I had all sorts of problems like ghosting during high motion scenes, audio lip sync issues, excessively dark video for certain discs, etc. It came down to replacing HDMI cables and changing settings on the TV and receiver. It's really annoying how some receivers require you to enable "Enhanced" 4K to get HDR passthrough to work (why?!), yet other receivers passthrough HDR without changing any settings.

Even now, I still have issues with certain devices. Tried to watch a video file on my Western Digital media player and it has really annoying audio lip sync issues that I never experienced on my old Panny Plasma.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #582

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
I'll say this about my LG B8 OLED...coming from a plasma, I was very concerned that changing to a different screen technology would result in an artificial looking picture and motion handling issues, but that hasn't proven to be the case. Skin tones look spot on, there's more detail in the picture but it doesn't look artificially sharpened or processed, and the colours all look natural, at least to my eyes. The only negative so far is mild banding issues.
Looks like your LG is one of the nicer, upper level models from them... how do you find the motion is presented on it??
Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #583
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
You need to have your oled calibrated man. With all motion effects turned off there is 0 soap opera effect. You are completely wrong.
I went back and re-looked at it apparently I was unaware that on the Sony you calibrate each individual input which is kinda cool. HDX, HDR, HDMI 1/2/3/4 now that I have done this you are correct there is no longer any soap opera effect. Now yes I can say how smooth and lifelike it is. The picture no longer looks fake which is what i wanted. 1 week later I still love this TV. the picture is smooth colors are crisp and watching tv its almost like you were there at the game if its sports. Tested it out with Ghostbusters My god the movie never looked so good. Intended grains from the film show up but my god does the picture behind the grains pop after the remaster.

Amending my original review after re calibration of each input and option, definitely OLED is the way to go after your plasma's die but make sure you understand how the TV works before posting initial reviews lol.

Last edited by R3P0; 08-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Thanks given by:
(W)KRP (08-31-2019), panasonicst60 (08-11-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #584

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Looks like your LG is one of the nicer, upper level models from them... how do you find the motion is presented on it??
Excellent. It handles all content beautifully, even DVDs which I was expecting to look like mud. I am very sensitive to motion issues and have seen absolutely none so far. I have Real Cinema enabled and pretty much everything else switched off.

The one thing I am unhappy about is the vertical banding which was never an issue with the plasma. I am actually going back to the store to discuss an exchange or refund tomorrow morning as my set has some very obvious banding which is far too distracting when viewing scenes with low lighting. First noticed it recently while watching BLAIR WITCH.

Other than that, I am really happy with OLED. If you can get a set without the banding problems, you're on to a winner.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #585

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
Excellent. It handles all content beautifully, even DVDs which I was expecting to look like mud. I am very sensitive to motion issues and have seen absolutely none so far. I have Real Cinema enabled and pretty much everything else switched off.

The one thing I am unhappy about is the vertical banding which was never an issue with the plasma. I am actually going back to the store to discuss an exchange or refund tomorrow morning as my set has some very obvious banding which is far too distracting when viewing scenes with low lighting. First noticed it recently while watching BLAIR WITCH.

Other than that, I am really happy with OLED. If you can get a set without the banding problems, you're on to a winner.
Hmmm... interesting. I still haven't ever personally seen a TV with motion as good as my plasma, but I suppose maybe with some of these newer upper level OLED, calibrated and settings tuned in properly, they may come pretty close.

I think I will still check local classified ads for another Panny plasma when mine dies... but if that doesn't work out I may just give a nice juicy OLED a try, haha
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #586
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Hmmm... interesting. I still haven't ever personally seen a TV with motion as good as my plasma, but I suppose maybe with some of these newer upper level OLED, calibrated and settings tuned in properly, they may come pretty close.

I think I will still check local classified ads for another Panny plasma when mine dies... but if that doesn't work out I may just give a nice juicy OLED a try, haha
Once you turn off all the motion flow crap it is just as good as a plasma. Granted it is not the 600hz refresh rate but the higher end OLED are awesome.
Thanks given by:
Shemp (08-16-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 03:31 AM   #587

Jul 2009
Florence Y'all
Lightbulb This is why I'm called (W)KRP

Back in 2009, I watched everything on my 36" Sony 36XBR400 tube TV. I was waiting on the 10th generation (10G) Kuros to come out, for a bigger screen and perfect black, but unfortunately Pioneer announced they were getting out of the business. Consumers were hoping that some of the people going from Pioneer to Panasonic would bring some 10G secret-sauce with them, but it never happened. So I picked up the last of the 9G Kuros, the KRP-600M for $3,000 in July 2009. Our friend Robert did not have any, but I did get a beautiful oval BDI stand from him for non-Kuro use. I appreciated his shootouts. Shout out to Robert!

I have watched the development of OLED intensely, and I have seen every Vincent Teo video the last couple of years.

If I am going to get a new monitor, I have to get something considerably bigger than my 60" Kuro, and I have heard really good things about 3D in 4K. I am considering getting a Sony 75Z9D for 4K/3D. It does not seem likely that a 70-inch or greater 2016 3D OLED will be available any time soon at a realistic price on the 'bay. I have 50 3D discs that I never get to watch.

I watch mostly sports on cable @ 1080i (football, basketball, boxing). I occasionally watch blu-ray movies and old TV series.

This thread shows that I am not alone in holding on to my plasma. I was surprised to learn in a linked video on this thread that plasma peak brightness is lower than OLED. I never heard of peak brightness before watching Vincent's videos.

...That and the fact that I'm in Cincinnati.

[Show spoiler]

Plasma Concepts.jpg

Last edited by (W)KRP; 09-01-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:02 AM   #588
Expert Member

Jan 2011

I just bought a minty ST60 plasma on CL for dirt cheap to finally try the plasma game firsthand with a higher end panel to go alongside my cherished XBR960 hdcrt.
So far each is better than anything I've seen available today despite their quirks and since I can't afford the cost of a higher end OLED currently this will have to do.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs