Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rambo 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
15 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.47
 
3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Blu-ray)
$20.00
13 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
3 from Hell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
From Beyond the Grave (Blu-ray)
$17.97
9 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (Blu-ray)
$20.00
13 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (Blu-ray)
$20.00
13 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$33.03
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 AM   #4581
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
I'm waiting for a paperback edition of House of X before I read.
You have to read both House and Powers of X to understand the story. Hopefully they'll reprint them in one book in sequential order, because you can't just read one series straight through without switching between certain issues of the other series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #4582
CyberpunkCentral CyberpunkCentral is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
CyberpunkCentral's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
You have to read both House and Powers of X to understand the story. Hopefully they'll reprint them in one book in sequential order, because you can't just read one series straight through without switching between certain issues of the other series.
Yeah, that's something Marvel does a lot. Going to go to Amazon and add it on my wishlist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:49 AM   #4583
Gacivory Gacivory is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gacivory's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
California
58
1139
198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
You have to read both House and Powers of X to understand the story. Hopefully they'll reprint them in one book in sequential order, because you can't just read one series straight through without switching between certain issues of the other series.
Thereís an Amazon listing for House and Powers collected in one edition in December.

Iíve been reading week to week and Iíve enjoyed so far. Wasnít that sold on Powers 1, but loved House 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #4584
CyberpunkCentral CyberpunkCentral is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
CyberpunkCentral's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
Thereís an Amazon listing for House and Powers collected in one edition in December.
Is this it?...

https://www.amazon.com/House-X-Jonat...gateway&sr=8-1
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 AM   #4585
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
Thereís an Amazon listing for House and Powers collected in one edition in December.

Yes, I just now saw that they have the hardcover edition listed. It is only going by the title House of X, but the description does state that it collects both House of X 1-6 and Powers of X 1-6.

https://www.amazon.com/House-X-Jonathan-Hickman/dp/1302915703/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=house+of+x&qid=1565747352&s=ga teway&sr=8-3
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (08-14-2019), Gacivory (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 AM   #4586
Gacivory Gacivory is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gacivory's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
California
58
1139
198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
Yep!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (08-14-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #4587
CyberpunkCentral CyberpunkCentral is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
CyberpunkCentral's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
6
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #4588
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Powers of X #3 was great!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Meta Jon (08-22-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #4589
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
131
40
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Powers of X #3 was great!
I picked up a copy an hour ago but haven't read it yet. I've been reading House of X as it releases but not Powers of X. I snagged a copy of the connecting variant for Powers #1 for .99 cents on eBay (couldn't believe it), then a copy of #2 yesterday. I made the mistake of not buying each issue on release day, thinking that I'd stick with House of X only. Thankfully I'll be all caught up with first print runs once my copies arrive in the mail.

I assumed that the second connecting variant would the cover for House of X #2 but it turned out to be Powers #1. I didn't wanna spend $20 to grab a copy, so I'm through the roof that I got an NM copy for MSRP after shipping fees.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #4590
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

You have to read House of X and Powers of X together as they come out. You can't read each series separately. It's one big story. It jumps around in time, but there is a specific reading order to make sense of it.

So far, it's:

1. House of X #1
2. Powers of X #1
3. House of X #2
4. Powers of X #2
5. Powers of X#3
Next week: House of X #3
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #4591
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
131
40
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
You have to read House of X and Powers of X together as they come out. The story jumps around in time, but there is a specific reading order to make sense of it.

So far, it's:

1. House of X #1
2. Powers of X #1
3. House of X #2
4. Powers of X #2
5. Powers of X#3
Next week: House of X #3
Originally I was passing on Powers of X because I wasn't convinced it would be vital to the overall story. I bought some of the bonus issues during The Amazing Spider-Man's Hunted story and felt they were a waste of money. I was assuming it'd be something like that, but I was definitely wrong lol.

At this point I'm considering continuing to buy all of the issues weekly and waiting until October to read all 12 in one sitting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #4592
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

I totally understand. Massive multi-series crossovers are what drove me away from comics. But I had to give this a chance as an X-Men fan, because of all the talk, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it. I just look at House and Powers as companion series that make up one big limited series. It's 12 weekly issues. I'm not sure I'm all that interested in what they've solicited so far to follow, though. None of the regular series this all sets up look all that good to me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #4593
Havok83 Havok83 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
147
6
Default

I really dont get why they seperated these into two seperated mini series instead of one. I thought originally present day would take place exclusively in HoX and the future stuff would be PoX but thats not the case. There doesnt really seem to be a consistent theme. Even the last issue of PoX didnt jump between the 4 time periods as the first two did. Its like Hickman couldnt decide which name he wanted to go with, so decided to use both
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #4594
CyberpunkCentral CyberpunkCentral is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
CyberpunkCentral's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I really dont get why they seperated these into two seperated mini series instead of one.
Hasn't this been the X-Men model for decades? Marvel would always tell one story, yet have multiple X-Men teams with their own comics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #4595
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I really dont get why they seperated these into two seperated mini series instead of one. I thought originally present day would take place exclusively in HoX and the future stuff would be PoX but thats not the case. There doesnt really seem to be a consistent theme. Even the last issue of PoX didnt jump between the 4 time periods as the first two did. Its like Hickman couldnt decide which name he wanted to go with, so decided to use both
I had thought the same thing originally -- that one takes place in the present and the other in the future, and that does seem to predominantly be the case, and yet both series appear to be juggling four different time periods within the story. When it comes down to it, it's one story and they probably just split it into two separate series just to have two different artists work on it and get it out in a more timely manner. The logistics of comic book storytelling never seems simple anymore. It's all about selling as many issues as the publisher can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #4596
Havok83 Havok83 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
147
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
Hasn't this been the X-Men model for decades? Marvel would always tell one story, yet have multiple X-Men teams with their own comics.
No it hasnt. Marvel has never released two mini-series like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
I had thought the same thing originally -- that one takes place in the present and the other in the future, and that does seem to predominantly be the case, and yet both series appear to be juggling four different time periods within the story. When it comes down to it, it's one story and they probably just split it into two separate series just to have two different artists work on it and get it out in a more timely manner. The logistics of comic book storytelling never seems simple anymore. It's all about selling as many issues as the publisher can.
I guess but thats unnecesary as they always put multiple artists on one book and its not that big of a deal. Look at Uncanny X-men Dissassembled? It rotated between the same set of artists every week.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #4597
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No it hasnt. Marvel has never released two mini-series like this
I think he means there have always been multiple titles that cross over to make one story. This is only two, but ever since the 80s they've done storylines that could have been contained in one book with only one creative team, but they instead force you to buy and read several books. Only two titles is actually very restrained for them.



Quote:
I guess but thats unnecesary as they always put multiple artists on one book and its not that big of a deal. Look at Uncanny X-men Dissassembled? It rotated between the same set of artists every week.
Right. It is unnecessary, but not to publishers who can get the books out faster and make more money.

Last edited by Darkstream; 08-22-2019 at 03:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #4598
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
131
40
15
Default

House of X 1 and 2 are already receiving a third printing, so the sales must be great for it. Prices on eBay are crazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #4599
Havok83 Havok83 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
147
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
I think he means there have always been multiple titles that cross over to make one story. This is only two, but ever since the 80s they've done storylines that could have been contained in one book with only one creative team, but they instead force you to buy and read several books. Only two titles is actually very restrained for them.
Again this is not the same thing. These arent ongoing series that cross over with each other. These are two new mini series created to tell a specific story but instead of being one mini-series as Marvel has done in the past, they've split them up into two minis. Its not a crossover but one continuous story so it doesnt make sense why its not launched as one.


Look at Disassembled last year. It would be like if they launched it as Uncanny X-men 1-5 and X-men 1-5 and tried to present them as two different yet related things instead of what they actually did (Uncanny X-men 1-10) which made more sense since it was one story that flowed from one issue to the next weekly
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #4600
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
3
76
96
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Again this is not the same thing. These arent ongoing series that cross over with each other. These are two new mini series created to tell a specific story but instead of being one mini-series as Marvel has done in the past, they've split them up into two minis. Its not a crossover but one continuous story so it doesnt make sense why its not launched as one.


Look at Disassembled last year. It would be like if they launched it as Uncanny X-men 1-5 and X-men 1-5 and tried to present them as two different yet related things instead of what they actually did (Uncanny X-men 1-10) which made more sense since it was one story that flowed from one issue to the next weekly


I don't see much difference, really. Whenever Marvel have a supposedly "stand alone limited series" it still usually crosses over with regular monthly books too -- and they're not just side stories, they become essential chapters. Avengers vs. X-Men, Secret Wars, you name it. Is it unnecessary? Definitely! I totally agree with you. But not surprising. This is actually mild compared to what we usually have to deal with.

Actually, I would say this is more in line with when Bendis relaunched Uncanny X-Men post-AVX as a companion series to All-New X-Men. Except, both those titles were ongoing series, instead of limited, but they still went back and forth with each other and probably could have been contained within just one series. Yeah, they were supposed to be two different teams of characters, but in the end it was one big story that forced the reader to buy both titles.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 PM.