Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Metropolis $13.99 (5 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
18 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
7 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
7 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #3401

Apr 2008
The Boro,TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Go at least 5.1.4 and have the four overheads on the side walls rather than the front and rear walls in the standard 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos overhead layout.

Just slide the ceiling overheads to the side walls at the ceiling/wall juncture - a better compromise than using the Height speaker layout.

Good ones to use for that are SVS Prime Elevations.

What do you set the receiver to for side height speakers when your options are only Front/rear heights or top on the receiver?
Old 12-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #3402
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldheart View Post
What do you set the receiver to for side height speakers when your options are only Front/rear heights or top on the receiver?
For that position... Top Front, Top Rear.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #3403

Apr 2008
The Boro,TN.

Quote:
For that position... Top Front, Top Rear.
ok,thanks.....
Old 12-24-2018, 02:57 AM   #3404
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
Well Iíve been listening to the Audyssey Reference curve for over a month now listening to quite a few Atmos mixes and Iíve reverted back to the Flat curve. The Midrange Compensation seems to choke that extra bit of detail and clarity from my RPís. Both older and new titles in Atmos just sound much better and clearer with Flat EQ in my room.
Never tried a flat curve so I might give it a shot. Just got 2 new amps so I have to recalibrate everything anyways. But I do love the reference one.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #3405
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Never tried a flat curve so I might give it a shot. Just got 2 new amps so I have to recalibrate everything anyways. But I do love the reference one.
Give it a go. Toggle between Flat and Reference. Reference sounds great but I find the Midrange Compensation and high frequency roll off useless now for new mixes and remixes since all mixes are mixed for the home. Midrange compensation shouldn’t be used on accurate speakers anyway. When I switch to Flat my speakers sound much more detailed and alive. Especially in dialogue from my center. Your speakers are behind a screen also so I bet you’ll appreciate the extra crispness from the Flat curve. You also have reference speakers that are very accurate so the Flat might be better suited. I went back and fourth for about a month and preferred the Flat curve for everything.
Thanks given by:
gates70 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #3406
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia
Default Atmos & DV animated short film Demo's!

these are not new videos, just a year or so old, but, I think they are nicely made and help to show off and further the mission of Dolby, enjoy.

see the little girl in this first video

she's a teenager in this video! they used the same model, aged her and continued her line.
Imogen Heap creates the soundtrack with her original song "Magic Me"

if you have a tv that supports DV and it can pass DD+/ATMOS via ARC download the Dolby Demo app and you can see and hear these two amazing short films that demo DV/ATMOS they are both beautiful to watch and listen too. I checked them out on my HT's 65" TCL 4K DV 7.1.4 setup and WOW! I am a fan of 3D modeling and animation, so, this was a treat!

your kids (and possibly you) will enjoy both videos. best enjoyed with DV & ATMOS!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #3407
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Also the theater in "Silent" appears to be the same one from the "Helicopter" Dolby Digital trailer.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (06-27-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #3408
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
Give it a go. Toggle between Flat and Reference. Reference sounds great but I find the Midrange Compensation and high frequency roll off useless now for new mixes and remixes since all mixes are mixed for the home. Midrange compensation shouldnít be used on accurate speakers anyway. When I switch to Flat my speakers sound much more detailed and alive. Especially in dialogue from my center. Your speakers are behind a screen also so I bet youíll appreciate the extra crispness from the Flat curve. You also have reference speakers that are very accurate so the Flat might be better suited. I went back and fourth for about a month and preferred the Flat curve for everything.
Calibrated and gave it a go but I prefer Reference. I'll play with it a bit more and maybe I'll change my mind.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #3409
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Calibrated and gave it a go but I prefer Reference. I'll play with it a bit more and maybe I'll change my mind.
I think most people prefer the Reference curve with the high frequency roll Off. All that matters is what you like in your room.
Thanks given by:
bakntim (12-29-2018), gates70 (01-02-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #3410
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Staines-upon-Thames: UK
Send a message via MSN to Blu-Boy in BKK Send a message via Skype™ to Blu-Boy in BKK

I ditched my Onkyo SKH-410 in favour of Polk Audio Ceiling Speakers and the difference is phenomenal. Overheads actually sound like overheads. Rain, wind and aircraft sound superb and itís definitely more enveloping. Watched Fear The Walking Dead and zombies came out of everywhere and that wasnít even an Atmos soundtrack.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #3411
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I've struggled with deciding to do reference or flat on my Denon 2500 with Focal Sib 5.1.2 speakers.

Doesn't seem to make much difference either way for me, but that might be something to do with my having DRC set to light with slight boosting of the centre channel level (thin walls).

Can anyone suggest any good demo material to hear any difference between the two curves?

Last edited by oddbox83; 06-28-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #3412
Expert Member

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I've struggled with deciding to do reference of flat on my Denon 2500 with Focal Sib 5.1.2 speakers.

Doesn't seem to make much difference either way for me, but that might be something to do with my having DRC set to light with slight boosting of the centre channel level (thin walls).

Can anyone suggest any good demo material to hear any difference between the two curves?
What would a demo that highlights the difference do?

You don't listen to demo stuff all the time do you? If you can't hear a difference with the normal content you listen/watch then I would say it doesn't matter which one you choose. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be. Other than the tweak addiction that we all have with home theater stuff
Old 06-28-2019, 01:01 AM   #3413
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I hear you. But you know what we are like, we like to know we are listening at the best quality we can even if we can't always tell.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #3414

Jun 2018

Could someone please explain how Atmos/X work in context? I know they both utilize a 7.1 bed track, as well as metadata which make the decoder pan sound objects between normal and overhead speakers to add a "third dimension", but how are sound effects separated from musical/vocal bleed? If, say, a surround channel in a regular 7.1 mix plays an orchestral bleed and the sound of debris from an explosion, how is that re-mapped to 11 or 13 speakers?

1) Are the sounds actually isolated from the music in an object-based mix?
2) Is there some kind of EQ happening in order to isolate the SFX from the music and then pan them, leaving the music as-is? (that would be silly, since it would ruin the sound quality, but I'm still theorizing)
3) Is information simply panned? Like, will a ricochet affect the music and make it move in the same 3D position?

Apologies if the questions seem dumb. SurroundSensei has yet to become an ObjectBasedSensei...
Old 07-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #3415
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundSensei View Post
Could someone please explain how Atmos/X work in context? I know they both utilize a 7.1 bed track, as well as metadata which make the decoder pan sound objects between normal and overhead speakers to add a "third dimension", but how are sound effects separated from musical/vocal bleed? If, say, a surround channel in a regular 7.1 mix plays an orchestral bleed and the sound of debris from an explosion, how is that re-mapped to 11 or 13 speakers?

1) Are the sounds actually isolated from the music in an object-based mix?
2) Is there some kind of EQ happening in order to isolate the SFX from the music and then pan them, leaving the music as-is? (that would be silly, since it would ruin the sound quality, but I'm still theorizing)
3) Is information simply panned? Like, will a ricochet affect the music and make it move in the same 3D position?

Apologies if the questions seem dumb. SurroundSensei has yet to become an ObjectBasedSensei...
Think of objects like individual sound files that can be moved in 3D (x/y/z) pannable space by a renderer reading panning and sizing metadata tags for each object (in the consumer version up to 16 discrete objects are available at any one point in time, with two of those acting like fixed overhead bed channels from the theatrical mix as the professional bed count is 9.1 and the object count is up to 118, with any extra beyond those 16 being zoned to the nearest discrete object with spatial compression).

Music is normally left in the bed channels and any special instrument or instrument grouping that is to be moveable in 3D space beyond the normal 9.1 fixed speaker array locations is set as an object with metadata attached.

How a home Atmos mix can be backwards compatible to 7.1, or 5.1, or even stereo is a relatively complex procedure. The TrueHD lossless codec works with a "core + extension" file structure to make that magic happen.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 07-05-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
SurroundSensei (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #3416

Jun 2018

Quote:
Think of objects like individual sound files that can be moved in 3D (x/y/z) pannable space by a renderer reading panning and sizing metadata tags for each object (in the consumer version up to 16 discrete objects are available at any one point in time, with two of those acting like fixed overhead bed channels from the theatrical mix as the professional bed count is 9.1 and the object count is up to 118, with any extra beyond those 16 being zoned to the nearest discrete object with spatial compression).

Music is normally left in the bed channels and any special instrument or instrument grouping that is to be moveable in 3D space beyond the normal 9.1 fixed speaker array locations is set as an object with metadata attached.

How a home Atmos mix can be backwards compatible to 7.1, or 5.1, or even stereo is a relatively complex procedure. The TrueHD lossless codec works with a "core + extension" file structure to make that magic happen.
Wow, thank you for this explanation, it's really eye-opening! BRB, gonna go change my username :P
Old 07-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #3417
Expert Member

Sep 2007
vermont
Send a message via Yahoo to tvine2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundSensei View Post
Wow, thank you for this explanation, it's really eye-opening! BRB, gonna go change my username :P
Does Atmos work in the home theater? yes ,however there is a big difference between the Atmos demo disc and how actual movies are mixed. The demo disc is mixed to show off Atmos. Movies however with all that goes on in for example a action movie is very hard for the ears to grasp what's going on.Sometimes things sound like a bluror a wall of sound. With the music and sound effects going on at the same time separation like I said becomes a blur. Sometimes things move so fast like a plane flying overhead you just don't hear it. But from what I understand the more speakers like 7.1.4 or 11.1.4 sets ups you will get different results since Atmos adapts to how many speakers you have. Then again the atmos disc works really well with just a 5.1.4 setup. One thing really good about atmos is a wider soundstage, you can't not hear that.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #3418
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post
Does Atmos work in the home theater? yes ,however there is a big difference between the Atmos demo disc and how actual movies are mixed. The demo disc is mixed to show off Atmos. Movies however with all that goes on in for example a action movie is very hard for the ears to grasp what's going on.Sometimes things sound like a bluror a wall of sound. With the music and sound effects going on at the same time separation like I said becomes a blur. Sometimes things move so fast like a plane flying overhead you just don't hear it. But from what I understand the more speakers like 7.1.4 or 11.1.4 sets ups you will get different results since Atmos adapts to how many speakers you have. Then again the atmos disc works really well with just a 5.1.4 setup. One thing really good about atmos is a wider soundstage, you can't not hear that.
If your speakers are placed properly, you shouldn't have a blur.
Thanks given by:
SurroundSensei (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #3419
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I personally find 7.1 the problematic one where space is limited, and it can't be tweaked in the same way as Atmos for speaker placement. It's far easier to correctly place 5.1 than 7.1. I have no regrets ditching 7.1 in preference to 5.1.2, it just works so much better for me in a smaller room with awkward rear positioning. 7.1 in my space was like a "wall of sound" at the back where it was all muddled. I can tell my receiver where my speakers are for Atmos and it places everything properly.

Atmos isn't just about thinking sound is coming overhead. It works with the core channels to create a bubble where it sounds as if it's moving within said bubble and not just a set speaker roaring away. In my modest 5.1.2 setup good Atmos mixes have me hearing things flying all around even where there aren't speakers. That's because the receiver is placing the metadata appropriately and as it moves different speakers are in use at different levels so you get a true panning effect where the ears are properly deceived.

Last edited by oddbox83; 07-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
SurroundSensei (07-09-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion