Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
14 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Upgrade (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$12.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$24.00

Leave No Trace (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Disobedience (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Glass (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #121
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

Shrinking/closing down the Blu Ray section is huge mistake for best buy. Blu Ray discs drive sales of Blu Ray players, and home theater receivers and speakers.

Are people setting up Dolby Atmos home theaters to listen to compressed streaming audio?
I think Best Buy's bottom line says otherwise.

Falling sales of media is the the driving cause of BBY/B&M shrinking in-store inventory, not the cause of the falling sales.

I don't think they're setting up theaters to listen to compressed streaming audio, but I don't think very many are setting up HT for ATMOS with uncompressed audio either. Trying to increase sales of your items that account for 1% of your gross sales and trying to bump it to 1.5% of your sales in an error of falling worldwide doesn't seem like a prudent business move.

I'm nearly 100% sure that the forums idea that Home Media Foot traffic drive or increases BBY adjacent sales ("while I'm here, I'll buy that TV or phone or computer too") is just not reality.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #122

Dec 2016

My nearest best buy still has a full aisle of movies...even a 3.99 DVD bin. But...every time I go no one is there. Even on a Saturday afternoon.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #123

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
I think Best Buy's bottom line says otherwise.

Falling sales of media is the the driving cause of BBY/B&M shrinking in-store inventory, not the cause of the falling sales.

I don't think they're setting up theaters to listen to compressed streaming audio, but I don't think very many are setting up HT for ATMOS with uncompressed audio either. Trying to increase sales of your items that account for 1% of your gross sales and trying to bump it to 1.5% of your sales in an error of falling worldwide doesn't seem like a prudent business move.

I'm nearly 100% sure that the forums idea that Home Media Foot traffic drive or increases BBY adjacent sales ("while I'm here, I'll buy that TV or phone or computer too") is just not reality.
Sales are falling for Blu Rays, as I stated, because the prices have risen for new releases, as well as the several week advantage streaming media gets.

Best Buy has been beating expectations lately, driven by online sales, but their in store foot traffic continues to decline. Selling media at attractive prices to drive foot traffic has been a time tested strategy. Just look at all the black friday ads(across many stores) for the last 10 years.

Will concentrating on online while sacrificing in store foot traffic continue to be a winning strategy?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #124

Nov 2008
Florida

Physical media sales have declined the past 10+ years (Blu-ray past 5) & will be down around $600-$700 million this year. Disney+ will be a hit so that will only accelerate things even more. If Best Buy has an aisle for media in 3 or 4 years I'd be surprised.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #125
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflman View Post
Physical media sales have declined the past 10+ years (Blu-ray past 5) & will be down around $600-$700 million this year. Disney+ will be a hit so that will only accelerate things even more. If Best Buy has an aisle for media in 3 or 4 years I'd be surprised.
At this rate I'll be surprised if they have any physical media by the end of 2020.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #126

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
...I'm nearly 100% sure that the forums idea that Home Media Foot traffic drive or increases BBY adjacent sales ("while I'm here, I'll buy that TV or phone or computer too") is just not reality.
Well, this was definitely the reality for me. When Best Buy's Home Media section was thriving, I'd visit their store once or twice a week to look over the aisles, and while there I'd check out the other areas of the store, which would occasionally lead to my buying other products that I would not have otherwise. Nowadays, I can go weeks or even months between visits because the media selection has gotten to be so poor; consequently, my spending at Best Buy has gone down considerably.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #127

Oct 2015

I as well used to visit Best Buy by my work buying physical media which would have me buy other products. This location shrunk the physical media to almost none existence so now my patronage is none existent.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #128
Special Member

Aug 2017

It's more about being one of the ways the internet has changed the brick and mortar landscape. Similar to how so many independent electronics retailers now focus more on appliances; some have even started selling bedding. Even 60 inch TVs are MUCH smaller and more shippable than they once were.

I've felt like a loner whenever browsing BB's movie, music, AND game depts. for at least 10 years. Nothing has really changed there, they just carry less catalog titles in stores, which really isn't too surprising, especially now that they put a LOT more focus on online sells, something they really weren't doing before, they were just going through the motions online, as if they were just hoping it would drive people back to their physical stores.

New releases have been the primary seller in physical stores for a LONG time. Next to that would be special promotions, usually around the Holidays. And those are all usually conveniently located at checkout or near the door. The internet changed peoples movie buying behavior during the dvd era. Most collectors shop online for better prices and better selection than even most dedicated media-only stores could allocate. Though the fact that there are often a half dozen different versions of a movie out there makes the ability to research which is best before purchase appealing too.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #129
Special Member

Jan 2013

I will admit I rarely go into BB to browse for films anymore, most of the time, a waste of money for me to buy a film on release dates anyway. I do notice a healthy amount of people that shop for them on BF and other big sales though. Combined with so few places that even sell media anymore in my area, and you see how the landscape can change in regards to media sales.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #130
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

It finally started happening at my nearest Best Buy. I took this pic with my back to the movie section. There used to be two long displays full of Disney, family, TV and anime that would go to the other side of where the Google island is now, plus additional mini-racks of select titles to the side. Instead of being replaced with something else, they just moved all the other displays over. Now there's a lot more space between them. The Google island is the only new thing.

Those titles have been consolidated with the rest of the movie section, but there's very little room given to them, we're talking maybe 75% smaller. I assume they returned the majority of their inventory from this area.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #131
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
It finally started happening at my nearest Best Buy. I took this pic with my back to the movie section. There used to be two long displays full of Disney, family, TV and anime that would go to the other side of where the Google island is now, plus additional mini-racks of select titles to the side. Instead of being replaced with something else, they just moved all the other displays over. Now there's a lot more space between them. The Google island is the only new thing.

Those titles have been consolidated with the rest of the movie section, but there's very little room given to them, we're talking maybe 75% smaller. I assume they returned the majority of their inventory from this area.

That picture says it all. Sounds like the movie section is still a little bigger here, but the aisles are still just as empty. There are always a number of cars in the parking lot, but inside BB is always like an abandoned ghost town.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #132
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013
City of Angels

My BBY still has a few aisles the last time I went, with the new releases stand up front and a 4K stand near the HT section.

On another note, FYE has really shrunk their sections as well.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #133
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
My BBY still has a few aisles the last time I went, with the new releases stand up front and a 4K stand near the HT section.

On another note, FYE has really shrunk their sections as well.
If you're in LA and its suburbs, then it is still strong for media purchases and rentals. I'm not entirely sure if your City of Angels is your actual location.

Redbox has this entire area blanketed with kiosks (including 4k discs) at every grocery store and Walmart. San Francisco on the other hand has a few Redboxes at Safeway and select Walgreens, but its not anything near like it is here.

Most of the Best Buys have a decent media selection, and even though it is not like what it was before say 2005, it's still nice to even have a media section at all.
Thanks given by:
jdw89 (07-22-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping