Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
4 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
22 hrs ago
Titans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.38
4 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.51
20 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$110.92

The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #1

May 2018
Default Panasonic UHD450 help

Hi

I have recently purchased the Panasonic UHD player (DP-UB450). I specifically purchased this as it had HDR10+ and my tv (Panasonic EX750) has recently had the HDR10+ update too. The EX750 was the last TV that had 3D enabled with a 4K HDR set. Therefore the 3D element is very important to me.

I also have a Denon AVR2500 that although can pass 4K and HDR signals, I do not think it can pass HDR10+ signals thus the need to purchase a UHD Blu ray player with twin HDMI slots - That will ensure that I can view UHD's in HDR10+ and I cave the Hi-Def audio too (atmos and DTSX). This UHD Blu ray player made a perfect choice based on affordability and features.

I therefore set the system up correctly with the HDMI cable for video/audio going to the TV into its HDMI1 slot and the second audio only HDMI output going into the Denon AVR.

I made sure the settings are all correct that 4K is enabled and it works a treat. I tested out the film Ready Player One and indeed I had full 4K resolution with HDR enabled. (I don't have any HDR10+ UHD's at the moment, but the recent update to my TV suggests it will work no problem). The audio (from the audio HDMI output) was working fine as well being sent from the player to AVR.

This is where the problem starts as I wanted to test out a 3D blu ray. For reasons I do not understand, the UHD will not play a 3D blu ray with the existing HDMI cable set up. I put in a 3D blu ray (Frozen), a message pops up and says "do you want to view this in 3D?" I say, yes, but instead it plays it in 2D. Quite clever technology to do this, but not what I wanted. I have played around with the 3D settings and ensured that under them the player reads it as "original" (off the disc). But no matter what I tried, the player will continue to play 3D content in 2D.

Someone then suggested unplugging the audio only HDMI cable and play it directly through the TV. And it worked - 3D playback was enabled no problems at all. But this of course then means I am unable to access the higher definition audio off the disc, relying only on Dolby Digital and DTS through ARC. This is not satisfactory.

I question why this is happening however. By virtue of a full 4K HDR signal being picked up through the video/audio HDMI slot it means I have all the correct cables. This requires HDMI 2.0a - 3D signal is 1.4 so it will work. Equally the fact that it works with the same HDMI cable in place (but the audio HDMI cable unplugged) proves the cabelling is fine.

Equally confusing is that the audio HDMI output is also working. I also tested out Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (UHD) which as DTS:X encoded and that worked fine.

Everything works fine, as intended, the player just seems to have issues when playing a 3D disc, it is plays it in 2D if there is an audio HDMI cable plugged in. And yes, the audio plays through this it is just that the image is in 2D when it should be 3D.

I have the latest firmwire for this player (1.09) but I am at a loss as to what to do here.

In the player menu option - there is no separate HDMI (AUDIO) OUT option to specifically tell the player to direct audio only out of that HDMI cable. It does seem to do this on it's own. It is only when it is connected does the image suddenly display in 2D and not 3D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

1 Press [HOME].
2 Select Setup.
3 Select Player Settings.
4 Select Picture.
5 Select HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode.

Then try Video Only, bear in mind that when you have your AVR off you won't have any audio.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
1 Press [HOME].
2 Select Setup.
3 Select Player Settings.
4 Select Picture.
5 Select HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode.

Then try Video Only, bear in mind that when you have your AVR off you won't have any audio.
Hi, unfortunately this did not work. The player is defaulted to be in video mode anyway under automatic. tweaking it did not make any difference, still playing 3D material in 2D.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 AM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endol View Post
Hi, unfortunately this did not work. The player is defaulted to be in video mode anyway under automatic. tweaking it did not make any difference, still playing 3D material in 2D.
The 3D glasses are turned on? The Panasonic's 3D is an active system.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
The 3D glasses are turned on? The Panasonic's 3D is an active system.
Yep, all present and correct. Simply put with exactly the same settings, if I unplug the audio HDMI cable then the 3D playback works fine. Put it back in and start again, the image reverts back to 2D (on a 3D disc I might add!)

I have contacted Panasonic about this, but it would appear that by having an audio only HDMI outlet in use, this seeminly prevents the 3D signal from being sent direct to the TV through the video HDMI.

Although conversely have the same set up does NOT prevent the 4K HDR signal from being sent. So, so strange.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Yep, all present and correct. Simply put with exactly the same settings, if I unplug the audio HDMI cable then the 3D playback works fine. Put it back in and start again, the image reverts back to 2D (on a 3D disc I might add!)

I have contacted Panasonic about this, but it would appear that by having an audio only HDMI outlet in use, this seemingly prevents the 3D signal from being sent direct to the TV through the video HDMI.

Although conversely have the same set up does NOT prevent the 4K HDR signal from being sent. So, so strange.
I'll try my set-up later, I don't do 3D, but when I've tested it there haven't been any issues, but my Panasonic allows AV from both HDMI outputs.

You could try a splitter, which should work, but you'd have to make sure you get one which doesn't down-convert signals.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Tried my player the other night, no issues.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #8

May 2018

I'm at a total loss then. I've been in contact with Panasonic so will see what they say . Initially they said it doesn't support 3D but when I corrected them, it's been looked into further.

For now I have unplugged the audio HDMI and just have the one HDMI go through my AVR. Plays 3D and 4k HDR fine. Seeing as I do not have any HDR10+ Blu Rays at present I'm not.missing out. Still, I perhaps might have gone for a cheaper model with one HDMI output of I knew this was an issue.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I'm at a total loss then. I've been in contact with Panasonic so will see what they say . Initially they said it doesn't support 3D but when I corrected them, it's been looked into further.

For now I have unplugged the audio HDMI and just have the one HDMI go through my AVR. Plays 3D and 4k HDR fine. Seeing as I do not have any HDR10+ Blu Rays at present I'm not.missing out. Still, I perhaps might have gone for a cheaper model with one HDMI output of I knew this was an issue.
I think it's something that they may have corrected with the models that have two HDMIs that can both handle video.

Have you tried outputting the audio through the digital co-axial to see if that disables the 3D as well?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders