Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The War of the Worlds 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Mr. Wong Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
Enter the Video Store: Empire of Screams (Blu-ray)
$70.59
1 day ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.49
13 hrs ago
The Great Train Robbery (Blu-ray)
$12.49
13 hrs ago
A Douglas Fairbanks Double Feature: Robin Hood / The Black Pirate (Blu-ray)
$17.99
13 hrs ago
The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
3 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
The Bridges at Toko-Ri (Blu-ray)
$12.49
13 hrs ago
Hackers 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Batman: The Complete Television Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
3 hrs ago
Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #12001
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
523
4706
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You really think that’s in the same league as the snark I get?
Only top tier snark for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #12002
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
1
547
3
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
[Show spoiler]The Hal 9000 reference was partly due to my pondering the purchase of the upcoming 4K release of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Talk of central servers, artificial intelligence, and the recent invoking of the future depicted in Rollerball further reminded me of Hal. I thought it was slightly funny to mention him, nothing more consciously involved than that.


I have not had enough thyme to determine if you are a sage, but I find your posts to be mostly well seasoned while occasionally spicy.
[Show spoiler]You have a sharp wit applied with surgical skill. If I did not agree with you on something the first time it is perfectly possible I continued to disagree with you subsequent times and for the same initial reason. Different arguments, different responses; same argument, same responses. We ALL repeat ourselves here, especially when the same topics resurface.
I see what you did there... I both respect AND appreciate it!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-20-2018), Vilya (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #12003
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

I see Netflix are possibly about to offer a cheaper streaming option. Cheaper than £5.99 apparently. First in India I read then possible everywhere.
Now that says to me two things. First we are getting a mobile only, SD package, or secondly we are getting ads for the cheaper package. I think it will be the first option and another small piece of the ĎSteedeel future predictions for digitalí machine clicks into place.

Expect the following headline on tech sites in 6-7 years.

Netflix and rivals are now 85% watched on mobile devices
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #12004
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

Why are you so caught up with how people stream Steedeel? You make it sound like the only way to watch is on a mobile device. It is a port, no different than a BD player, smart TV, gaming console etc. So whatís up with this constant madness prediction on the future? Nothing youíve predicted has ever come true that wasnít always on place
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #12005
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Why are you so caught up with how people stream Steedeel? You make it sound like the only way to watch is on a mobile device. It is a port, no different than a BD player, smart TV, gaming console etc. So what’s up with this constant madness prediction on the future? Nothing you’ve predicted has ever come true that wasn’t always on place
What others do has direct impact on tech. Availability, options etc.,
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #12006
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
267
1727
1531
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
What others do has direct impact on tech. Availability, options etc.,
That's right. So stop buying games digitally that are available physically!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #12007
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
That's right. So stop buying games digitally that are available physically!
I would if I could swap discs with a headset on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #12008
Groot Groot is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2015
Thanos Cock
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I would if I could swap discs with a headset on.
Wireless headsets, bro!

I am so lame I game in these:



I have his full size helmet, but that's a little much.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
octagon (10-20-2018), Steedeel (10-20-2018), The_Donster (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #12009
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
92
2550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I see Netflix are possibly about to offer a cheaper streaming option. Cheaper than £5.99 apparently. First in India I read then possible everywhere.
Did the article you read mention that Netflix is currently charging about about six times as much in India as Amazon Prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Now that says to me two things. First we are getting a mobile only, SD package, or secondly we are getting ads for the cheaper package. I think it will be the first option and another small piece of the ‘Steedeel future predictions for digital’ machine clicks into place.
All this says to me is that somebody at Netflix must have cracked an Econ book at some point in his or her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I would if I could swap discs with a headset on.
So you prefer digital games because they're more convenient than discs?

That seems reasonable enough.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #12010
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Did the article you read mention that Netflix is currently charging about about six times as much in India as Amazon Prime?



All this says to me is that somebody at Netflix must have cracked an Econ book at some point in his or her career.



So you prefer digital games because they're more convenient than discs?

That seems reasonable enough.
It’s not so much convenience as awkward to swap discs with a VR contraction on my heed!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #12011
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Wireless headsets, bro!

I am so lame I game in these:



I have his full size helmet, but that's a little much.
Iím talking VR though Groot. A different level of trickiness my friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #12012
Groot Groot is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2015
Thanos Cock
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Iím talking VR though Groot. A different level of trickiness my friend.
Ahhhh, aren't most of those games digital only to begin with? A bunch I've watched play-throughs on are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #12013
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
92
2550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It’s not so much convenience as awkward to swap discs with a VR contraction on my heed!
con∑ven∑ient

/kənˈvēnyənt/
adjective
adjective: convenient
  • fitting in well with a person's needs, activities, and plans.
    "I phoned your office to confirm that this date is convenient"
    synonyms: suitable, appropriate, fitting, fit, suited, opportune, timely,
  • well timed, favorable, advantageous, seasonable, expedient
    "a convenient time"
  • involving little trouble or effort.
    "the new parking lot will make shopping much more convenient"
  • situated so as to allow easy access to.
    "the 34-story building is convenient to downtown"
  • synonyms: near (to), close to, within easy reach of, well situated for, handy for, not far from, just around the corner from; More
  • occurring in a place or at a time that is useful.
    "put the blame on a convenient scapegoat"
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #12014
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Ahhhh, aren't most of those games digital only to begin with? A bunch I've watched play-throughs on are.
Yes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #12015
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
con∑ven∑ient

/kənˈvēnyənt/
adjective
adjective: convenient
  • fitting in well with a person's needs, activities, and plans.
    "I phoned your office to confirm that this date is convenient"
    synonyms: suitable, appropriate, fitting, fit, suited, opportune, timely,
  • well timed, favorable, advantageous, seasonable, expedient
    "a convenient time"
  • involving little trouble or effort.
    "the new parking lot will make shopping much more convenient"
  • situated so as to allow easy access to.
    "the 34-story building is convenient to downtown"
  • synonyms: near (to), close to, within easy reach of, well situated for, handy for, not far from, just around the corner from; More
  • occurring in a place or at a time that is useful.
    "put the blame on a convenient scapegoat"
Yep, but films are films. My passion, my love, my escape.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #12016
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
92
2550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yep, but films are films. My passion, my love, my escape.
That's fine. You have every right to apply your standards to your purchasing decisions. You're also perfectly free to apply different standards to different purchases. You can say 'toilet paper is toilet paper' and just grab whatever's cheapest but pore over articles and reviews and agonize over the slightest detail when buying a keyboard or an HDMI cable. That's all fine.

But shouldn't other people be free to do the exact same thing when they make their purchasing decisions?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #12017
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
523
4706
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It’s not so much convenience as awkward to swap discs with a VR contraction on my heed!
I am worried about that VR contracting your skull. Pressure on the brain can cause all kinds of hallucinations, or, what you prefer to call "predictions." You should "heed" my concerns and stop contracting your head with that unholy contraption.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #12018
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am worried about that VR contracting your skull. Pressure on the brain can cause all kinds of hallucinations, or, what you prefer to call "predictions." You should "heed" my concerns and stop contracting your head with that unholy contraption.
Itís incredibly comfortable on my heed. You should try it, VR is amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #12019
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
523
4706
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Itís incredibly comfortable on my heed. You should try it, VR is amazing.
I am afeared to; I might not ever take it off.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #12020
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
523
4706
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I see Netflix are possibly about to offer a cheaper streaming option. Cheaper than £5.99 apparently. First in India I read then possible everywhere.
Now that says to me two things. First we are getting a mobile only, SD package, or secondly we are getting ads for the cheaper package. I think it will be the first option and another small piece of the ‘Steedeel future predictions for digital’ machine clicks into place.

Expect the following headline on tech sites in 6-7 years.

Netflix and rivals are now 85% watched on mobile devices
A company "possibly" offers a lower price for a tier of their services and you, naturally, see that as a bad thing? Most people welcome price drops.

Maybe it is just a marketing tactic to get more people to try Netflix and then they can try to upsell them? The "foot in the door" strategy, eh? Maybe they are trying to compete more favorably with Amazon Prime and other services?

No worries for me regardless as A): I am not a subscriber and B): you will worry enough for ALL of us.

I predict that 85% of Netflix customers will watch via cerebral implants that function as wireless network adapters directly connected to the optic and auditory nerves. Even then, they will only get, at most, 16 Mbps bitrates, with skull thickness being a limiting factor.

Last edited by Vilya; 10-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (10-21-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.