Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy (Blu-ray)
$51.96
20 hrs ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66

A Wind Named Amnesia (Blu-ray)
$19.82
13 hrs ago
One Piece Film: Red (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Kodocha: The Complete Second Series (Blu-ray)
$44.82

Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.89

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Blu-ray)
$16.19

Restaurant to Another World: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Horimiya: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Belle (Blu-ray)
$13.34
20 hrs ago
Patlabor: The Mobile Police - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.92

Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.62
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #421
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1313 View Post
The funny thing with media mail, it was intended to ship educational material at a discount. The post office actually loses money for anything shipped that way. Business like Rightstuf actually shouldn't be using it.
Wow. It's a damn shame that media mail is the only good deal the USPS offers, as everything else is too high for me (I sell stuff on eBay, and $6+ for a BD/DVD/Game sized package normally vs the sub $3 of media mail... wonder what I use).
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (10-18-2020), MattmanAlpha (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #422
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

I'm just saying, efforts to hinder mail-in voting affected USPS as a whole (the sorting machines handled more than mail-in ballots), and the current Postmaster General wants to sabotage the USPS, meaning, affecting the service which in turn affects delivery times and also, pricing.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #423

Mar 2011
The Greatest State in the Union, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
I'm just saying, efforts to hinder mail-in voting affected USPS as a whole (the sorting machines handled more than mail-in ballots), and the current Postmaster General wants to sabotage the USPS, meaning, affecting the service which in turn affects delivery times and also, pricing.
1000% disagree that the postal service is being sabotaged. The recent conspiracy theories (i.e. running out of money, cutting overtime and removing boxes to interfere with ballots, etc.) are easily debunked when scrutinized.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #424
Expert Member

Oct 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
I guess making us all cheap anime buyers is bad apparently from all the comments I have seen around other pages lol.
I bet all those people who commented that the increase is no big deal are probably getting subsidized in some way. Like, they must get an allowance or spend money frivolously. (Seen plenty of instances in my profession like this one elderly lady living on pension and social security was cool with her granddaughter spending $50 every day for a mobile game.) I don't have many bills but I live in one of the most expensive states and get paid less than everyone I know so I have to be cheap.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (10-19-2020), MattmanAlpha (10-18-2020), neoz (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #425
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Wow. It's a damn shame that media mail is the only good deal the USPS offers, as everything else is too high for me (I sell stuff on eBay, and $6+ for a BD/DVD/Game sized package normally vs the sub $3 of media mail... wonder what I use).
For sure. First class can be a good deal for a single Bluray or Game, as long as it's under 12oz (Might be 14oz) which is the first class weight limit and the location isn't that far, but for anything heavy media mail is the only non expensive option.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #426
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State

With Media Mail
For $2.80 I can routinely ship out Boxes larger than one's that fit these ......
I've been surprised many times when I thought I'd have to pay more becuase of the size/weight of the box, but no...
Still only $2.80

Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 PM   #427
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1313 View Post
I noticed this pandemic has been a nice catch-all to explain away anything negative a company does. To my knowledge media mail prices haven't gone up, so I see no justification for this.
If they used first class mail I'd understand but as you said, media mail hasn't gone up. There's really no reason for this.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (10-18-2020), neoz (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #428

Feb 2013

Canada ripped off again, what else is new.

I remember when it used to be $150 for free shipping and it was changed to $250 that all existing orders wouldn't be affected but here I'm guessing that won't be the case...

I have an order that won't ship until December so maybe I should cancel it and start over (contains an Aniplex title so free US shipping anyway)

I've read mixed reviews about skypaxus, does anyone know of any good forwarding services? Would be great if they're like zenmarket where you can undervalue the price of the parcel or maybe declare it as a gift and avoid paying Canadian HST.

How much would it cost to forward a $75 (former $50) parcel? Size and weight for 3 standard Blu-ray cases or 1 boxset?

What really stings is Shawne himself said in his ANN livechat that 2020 has been the company's best selling year ever but seems indifferent or tone deaf to the idea of any sort of compromise. "We still need to keep the lights on." Scoffs at the idea of reducing any profit margin (just a little) that would increase shipping expenses on the company's own end. Greed might backfire. Might lose even more customers when Amazon Air is fully running and steals more customers because of faster and cheaper shipping for non-prime members.

No offense to any Canadian who doesn't live in a big city but there should honestly be different rates. I once read a half joking comment saying US companies should only ship to Toronto and Vancouver. But instead these companies seem to think they need to always travel across an enormous country to the Arctic territories or maritime provinces which costs more fuel instead of near the border. Doubt there are that many buyers in those regions.

The distance to Toronto or Vancouver is shorter than shipping something to certain US cities/states. Makes perfect sense...

I made the decision a while ago to cutback and try to stop overpaying on shipping and in USD so WOW HD Canada and Amazon Canada will be getting more of my money. Even Funimation Shop offers free shipping to Canadian streaming subscriptions of certain tiers and still has free shipping at $50+ for US non-members.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind waiting 2 weeks for something to arrive as long as it's safe and shipping was cheap or free. Better packaging doesn't guarantee you won't get a damaged disc before it was even sent.

P.S. Shawne apparently learned nothing from last time. You can read the old ANN thread where fans called him out for no advanced warning. History repeats itself.

Last edited by Jackson_H; 10-18-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (10-18-2020), mcorre (10-18-2020), neoz (10-18-2020), professorwho (10-19-2020), zenpai (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 PM   #429

Nov 2010

I placed an item in my cart and it said that I was missing X amount for free shipping. So it seems that free shipping to Canada with $250 purchase is still working... for now.

I didn't place an order so it could still fail when you actually pay.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #430

Dec 2009

Remember when they were going to offer more extras for being an Got Anime member?
I mean if Amazon can offer 2 day free shipping for $100 a year or x amount a month. I would think RS might be competitive. I mean even Best Buy offer pretty cheap shipping if you don't make the threshold irrc.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (10-18-2020), psychopuppet (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #431
Special Member

Oct 2011

I’m going to have wait longer on my ordering things then . Could start combining manga and Blu-ray orders ,but because of the way their partial shipping works that’d mean it’d take forever to get complete orders fulfilled .

Might be actually shopping more at Amazon and Target for non-limited editions . LE’s I’ll get ,but I’ll have to wait things out to some other studios slate hits or save Discotek titles for free shipping filler .

Most companies would have offered a yearly membership with points to be used on stuff that gave a better or free shipping fee by now .
Old 10-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #432
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattmanAlpha View Post
1000% disagree that the postal service is being sabotaged. The recent conspiracy theories (i.e. running out of money, cutting overtime and removing boxes to interfere with ballots, etc.) are easily debunked when scrutinized.
There's been efforts for decades to privatize the USPS, with the most successful effort being the bill that was passed in 2006 requiring the USPS to fund 75 years worth of health benefits in advance which crippled them. Private companies like FedEx and UPS have lobbied for stuff like this as privatization would benefit them. The fact said bill also never got repealed regardless of which party controlled the government should say something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal...nhancement_Act

The current Postmaster General had money invested in USPS competitors, and Trump has consistently attacked mail-in voting as they again tend to favor Democrats. It's not hard to connect the dots, they want to stop mail-in voting to increase the likelihood they win the election, and to also make people lose faith in the USPS to further push privatization. In any case, things have drastically changed for the USPS this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if the changes that came into effect in June along with how COVID has impacted the volume of mail could lead to a cost increase, which RightStuf would have to apply to make free shipping still profitable. When you try to stop one thing (mail-in ballots), it ends up affecting the whole system as the USPS handles so much stuff. Like medicine was subject to the delivery delays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Remember when they were going to offer more extras for being an Got Anime member?
I mean if Amazon can offer 2 day free shipping for $100 a year or x amount a month. I would think RS might be competitive. I mean even Best Buy offer pretty cheap shipping if you don't make the threshold irrc.
Amazon doesn't make money off of Prime, and they're more than just an online retailer so they can take the hit. Their main source of profit is Amazon Web Services which controls more than 30% of the cloud and powers Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Crunchyroll (they switched to AWS last year), and even at one point, the CIA (yes, really). It wouldn't be cost-effective for RightStuf or really any retailer that's not a behemoth to offer something like that as Prime was never designed to be profitable, it was to get people to use only Amazon.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #433

May 2020

It may or may not be the case that Postal Service media mail rates may or may not go up in the future (I'm not gonna weigh in on that ).

But I highly doubt that has much relevance to RS's descision here. If a company as relatively small as RS had some inside knowledge about the USPS raising prices in the future, enough other parties would also know that it would be front-page news everywhere; this is a very popular news subject. RS just wants some more money, I think
Old 10-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #434

Dec 2009

Yeah I'll be voting in person anyway. But that is besides the point. RS should offer free shipping for GA members. I'm willing to pay a little more for free shipping it were a benefit included with GA.
Thanks given by:
lunamaria87 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #435
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
There's been efforts for decades to privatize the USPS, with the most successful effort being the bill that was passed in 2006 requiring the USPS to fund 75 years worth of health benefits in advance which crippled them. Private companies like FedEx and UPS have lobbied for stuff like this as privatization would benefit them. The fact said bill also never got repealed regardless of which party controlled the government should say something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal...nhancement_Act

The current Postmaster General had money invested in USPS competitors, and Trump has consistently attacked mail-in voting as they again tend to favor Democrats. It's not hard to connect the dots, they want to stop mail-in voting to increase the likelihood they win the election, and to also make people lose faith in the USPS to further push privatization. In any case, things have drastically changed for the USPS this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if the changes that came into effect in June along with how COVID has impacted the volume of mail could lead to a cost increase, which RightStuf would have to apply to make free shipping still profitable. When you try to stop one thing (mail-in ballots), it ends up affecting the whole system as the USPS handles so much stuff.
Title of the thread Rightstuf Customer Service: Issues & Problems, not Airing Political Grievances. You want to treat political speculation and partisan accusations as absolute fact, have at it, but this is not the place to do it.

And people lost faith in USPS decades ago, by their own incompetence, they can't even turn a profit during a online sales boom, that theory doesn't make sense.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (10-19-2020), neoz (10-19-2020), professorwho (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #436
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009

This is the final nail in the coffin for me. They raised the price of GotAnime with the promise of "new features" that never materialized. I've had nothing but CS issues with them since the pandemic started. I just received a damaged art book in my last order (cover was irreparably bent) but I'm not going to even bother to try to get a replacement after they made me ship back my last damaged item on my own dime and wait nearly half a year for the replacement. And now this. If anyone from RightStuf reads these forums (and I know they do) they have just lost a loyal customer of over ten years. I'm purchasing far less anime these days anyways, so I'll just stick with Amazon or BestBuy.

P.S.
Did Discotek say they weren't selling through Amazon anymore? If that's the case I'll just have to order direct from their eBay store from now on.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (10-19-2020), neoz (10-19-2020), zenpai (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:32 AM   #437
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
P.S.
Did Discotek say they weren't selling through Amazon anymore? If that's the case I'll just have to order direct from their eBay store from now on.
Discotek stuff hasn't been appearing on Amazon Canada for a while is what's been going on. Their stuff is still on Amazon US, but the distribution mess they're recovering from still causes stocking issues.
Thanks given by:
kevers7290 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:04 AM   #438
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014
Southern California

The new tier sucks though it could be more than just USPS potentially raising prices. We run an algorithm at my work to determine the dollar amount per order needed to make up for the shipping charge though we use Priority Mail/Ground for everything. RS also pays for custom packaging and box inserts that most other companies don't use that could have had a price increase as well.

As for the Canada stuff I am not sure if RS always used FedEx but all USPS International mail has been really screwed since COVID started. We have had things take 2 months to get delivered and it is hard to tell customers to keep waiting when tracking hasn't updated for 6 weeks. FedEx/UPS Ground to Canada is cheap but the customer gets hit with a huge brokerage fee upon receipt usually. FedEx Economy/Priority International covers brokerage but the price can jump up pretty high depending what part of Canada the customer is in.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #439
Power Member

Jul 2016

In Japan the post office was privatized and it went from awful to fantastic, so I might be biased as a Japanese American But I’m all for privatizing USPS.

Unrelated but right now almost all I ever get from them, aside from packages, is junk mail. And yes, all should vote in person, especially if red, but either way, it’s safer this time in my opinion.

Last edited by Nori; 10-19-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (10-19-2020), El3mental (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #440
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
This is the final nail in the coffin for me. They raised the price of GotAnime with the promise of "new features" that never materialized.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Pretty soon the only benefit of having Got Anime Membership will be the 10% off price tag. Here's the issue with that though...

Amazon prices, in most cases, are better than Rightstuf's even with the 10% off applied. Not all, but most. Every now and then a Funimation Part 1 LE will be 5 - 7 bucks cheaper on RS.

Consumer retail market is always competitive, and Rightstuf is gonna have to step up their game if they want the lions share in anime Blu Ray/DVD purchases when ever they're not hosting a deep sale like Black Friday and what not.

I love Rightstuf, but they need give members a staple benefit because the 10% off just isn't a staple anymore.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (10-19-2020), kevers7290 (10-19-2020), zenpai (10-19-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime