Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Les Misťrables 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
15 hrs ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
 
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Package (Blu-ray)
$12.49
15 hrs ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
 
Hustle (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Battlestar Galactica 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Marathon Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Usual Suspects 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie (After You've Seen It)
6 25.00%
1 4.17%
4 16.67%
8 33.33%
5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #201
Spencer_Kain92 Spencer_Kain92 is offline
Power Member
 
Spencer_Kain92's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Texas
27
1903
14
157
Default

Unfortunate to hear they kind of just abandoned this. I’m predicting it’ll be on D+ by Christmas
 
Old 11-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #202
kylor kylor is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
kylor's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
The past.. or the future.
649
7029
620
1030
2058
3
Default

Damn, a B score? It's a Strange World we're living in.
 
Old 11-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #203
avs commenter avs commenter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2018
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Kain92 View Post
Unfortunate to hear they kind of just abandoned this. Iím predicting itíll be on D+ by Christmas
I hope so
 
Old 11-24-2022, 10:20 PM   #204
Deadend45 Deadend45 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Mar 2019
Canada
-
-
Default

The market flooded with CG animation and the disney formula writing bores people now including with Marble.
 
Old 11-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #205
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Mar 2008
-
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylor View Post
Damn, a B score? It's a Strange World we're living in.
 
Old 11-24-2022, 11:20 PM   #206
drn211 drn211 is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2009
283
788
275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Kain92 View Post
Is there a short film attached?
No
 
Old 11-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #207
sandman slim sandman slim is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
sandman slim's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
TN
181
5320
170
3
3
8
Default

Bombing hard here. Wakanda, Glass Onion & Devotion are all nearly sold out for the 7pm shows, Fablemans has sold 10, The Menu about 20... Strange World has sold five tix.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 02:46 AM   #208
brooks101189 brooks101189 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
brooks101189's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
My Home
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
The Iron Giant (WB), Titan A.E. (Fox) and Lightyear also under-performed..., but then you have Lilo and Stitch, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Wall*E. Disney was able to market those as event entertainment. Strange World seems destined as Disney+ content, nothing about the marketing yet says "event". Maybe because it isn't one.
True, but Lilo and Stitch wasn't hard sci-fi and was marketing much more as a comedy, Big Hero 6 is a superhero movie with Marvel connections that was brilliant in its use of Baymax in the marketing and Wall-E came out when Pixar films were treated much more as big movie events.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 03:39 AM   #209
ImBlu_DaBaDee ImBlu_DaBaDee is offline
Power Member
 
ImBlu_DaBaDee's Avatar
 
Nov 2018
209
394
17
Default

Only tracking to do 20 million for the 5 DAY opening, only 15 million for the 3 day. How embarrassing!
 
Old 11-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #210
Hardback247 Hardback247 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Mar 2013
4
Default

Someone said this in a forum post on DVDizzy about Disney's animated output over the past decade, and I'm frankly shocked at how much he's oversimplifying and generifying their stories like this:

Quote:
Disney needs to diversify the stories they tell. For the past decade every story can be basically narrowed down to a protagonist who lives in a world that is in danger from an unknown danger and has to go on a quest to figure out what is wrong and save their family and world. It's the basic premise of Big Hero Six, Zootopia, Moana, Frozen, Frozen 2, Raya, Encanto and now Strange World. They all have sub plots woven through it, but many films lack an actual antagonist, shy away from love stories. They all start to feel like the same story, in a different setting.

Last edited by Hardback247; 11-25-2022 at 10:45 AM.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #211
Ruined Ruined is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
1
1
Default

Since no one has said it I will

This movie wasn't abandoned by Disney because of Disney+. Disney wouldn't have released in theaters if Disney+ was all they cared about.

This movie wasn't abandoned by Disney because it was a bad movie. History is shown that some of the worst movies in the world can perform really well with good marketing.

In my opinion this movie was abandoned because of the Lightyear effect. Disney's brand suffered immense damage because of Lightyear with certain segments of the population who did not want movies for kids with overt LGBTQIA+ plot points. The money lost by ensuring most people never even knew this movie came out is far smaller than the additional brand damage that would be incurred if another movie like Lightyear was released. Not to mention Disney went all-in on marketing light year and it still was the worst performing Pixar movie of all time - still without that marketing it would have done even worse. This movie's initial marketing was tracking the same with the gay teen romance being a centerpiece part of the initial media coverage.

Things are not fine and dandy with Disney, which is why their stock tanked and CEO was changed. Disney needs to get back to the spot where they used to be, where all parents from all walks of life felt comfortable taking their child to Disney movie without researching it first to see if it had elements they felt were highly inappropriate for their children. The reason this movie was released in theaters at all was likely to satisfy internal staff who worked on it and not create a new controversy with internal staff for canceling its theatrical run.
 
Thanks given by:
D00mM4r1n3 (11-27-2022), dpf37 (11-28-2022), Eschenpod (11-26-2022), fighthefutureofhd (11-29-2022), Lacrimosa (12-01-2022), Monterey Jack (11-25-2022), moviebuffed (11-25-2022), OnlyJapantown (11-26-2022), Rzzzz (11-25-2022), s2mikey (11-25-2022), terp_fan99 (11-25-2022), Tony208 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #212
Mikezilla3k Mikezilla3k is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2019
Richmond, CA
8
195
236
50
15
1
Default

Or maybe it's just because people are getting sick of bland CG films nowadays? Hell, even The Mitchells vs The Machines sucked.

Doesn't have to do with random plot points or marketing, they can't change that Animated films in general now for years have sucked. Only one that was legit good was Into The Spider-Verse
 
Old 11-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #213
Hardback247 Hardback247 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Mar 2013
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
In my opinion this movie was abandoned because of the Lightyear effect. Disney's brand suffered immense damage because of Lightyear with certain segments of the population who did not want movies for kids with overt LGBTQIA+ plot points. The money lost by ensuring most people never even knew this movie came out is far smaller than the additional brand damage that would be incurred if another movie like Lightyear was released. Not to mention Disney went all-in on marketing light year and it still was the worst performing Pixar movie of all time - still without that marketing it would have done even worse. This movie's initial marketing was tracking the same with the gay teen romance being a centerpiece part of the initial media coverage.
I give Disney brownie points for LGBTQIA+ representation, but the problem is that the Disney company's success has always been about being inclusive and accessible to pretty much every audience possible. Unfortunately, even though things have gotten better in certain parts, queer people are still a very taboo subject. It's probably still too soon for something like that in a Disney animated feature.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #214
Monterey Jack Monterey Jack is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Monterey Jack's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
I give Disney brownie points for LGBTQIA+ representation, but the problem is that the Disney company's success has always been about being inclusive and accessible to pretty much every audience possible. Unfortunately, even though things have gotten better in certain parts, queer people are still a very taboo subject. It's probably still too soon for something like that in a Disney animated feature.
It's that Disney keeps patting themselves on the back for being "Inclusive!" in all of the social media marketing materials for months on end prior to the movies' releases that rankle people. Whether it's gay representation, POC characters or "Girl Power!", they spend too much time puffing their chests out with pride about their "Groundbreaking!" casting/storyline choices (while chastising anyone who gets annoyed by this as being a "troll", even inserting commentary about them into the movies and shows themselves!), instead of just telling a good story with likable characters. It wasn't like this even as little as a decade ago. It's gotten tiresome.
 
Thanks given by:
Bugg (11-25-2022), dpf37 (11-28-2022), fighthefutureofhd (11-29-2022), Havenbull (11-25-2022), MassiveMovieBuff (11-30-2022), moviebuffed (11-25-2022), Rzzzz (11-25-2022), s2mikey (11-25-2022), terp_fan99 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #215
Ruined Ruined is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k View Post
Or maybe it's just because people are getting sick of bland CG films nowadays? Hell, even The Mitchells vs The Machines sucked.

Doesn't have to do with random plot points or marketing, they can't change that Animated films in general now for years have sucked. Only one that was legit good was Into The Spider-Verse
If that were the case minions would have tanked because that movie was nothing special but made gangbusters money
 
Old 11-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #216
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Mar 2008
-
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k View Post
Or maybe it's just because people are getting sick of bland CG films nowadays? Hell, even The Mitchells vs The Machines sucked.

Doesn't have to do with random plot points or marketing, they can't change that Animated films in general now for years have sucked. Only one that was legit good was Into The Spider-Verse
If they do Frozen again, and that makes money then the brand wars will start again. Every time people claim they want something new, the market says otherwise. Another year of Remakes and Sequels on top of the charts.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #217
avs commenter avs commenter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2018
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
It's that Disney keeps patting themselves on the back for being "Inclusive!" in all of the social media marketing materials for months on end prior to the movies' releases that rankle people. Whether it's gay representation, POC characters or "Girl Power!", they spend too much time puffing their chests out with pride about their "Groundbreaking!" casting/storyline choices (while chastising anyone who gets annoyed by this as being a "troll", even inserting commentary about them into the movies and shows themselves!), instead of just telling a good story with likable characters. It wasn't like this even as little as a decade ago. It's gotten tiresome.
Making up stuff again? Are you going to prove it and post evidence of Disney promoting this film for being inclusive?
 
Thanks given by:
dancerslegs (11-25-2022), mwynn (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #218
Kuja Kuja is offline
Active Member
 
Kuja's Avatar
 
Jul 2019
Default

Exactly. The LGBT character wasn't heavily marketed at all...

This film always looked like a flop to most longtime Disney fans because WDAS were clearly imitating previous flops from the company like Treasure Planet and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I have a feeling Disney knew the risks and still went ahead anyway not really caring if it flopped, because they didn't market it as much as past films. That may also be why they placed it beside a safe hit like Wakanda Forever to balance out this film's loss.

WDAS will be fine. Wish is coming out next year and I'd be very surprised if that flops. And then of course they still have Frozen III on the way. An existential crisis would be more deserved if Wish performs poorly than a film like this one.
 
Old 11-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #219
Havenbull Havenbull is offline
Senior Member
 
Havenbull's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Maryland
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
Exactly. T

WDAS will be fine. Wish is coming out next year and I'd be very surprised if that flops. And then of course they still have Frozen III on the way. An existential crisis would be more deserved if Wish performs poorly than a film like this one.
Wish will flop. I assure you. It was made during a time when Disney was (and still might be) listening to the wokesters in creative, and not to the general pulse of the money-spending public.
 
Thanks given by:
OnlyJapantown (11-26-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #220
Hardback247 Hardback247 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Mar 2013
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbull View Post
Wish will flop. I assure you. It was made during a time when Disney was (and still might be) listening to the wokesters in creative, and not to the general pulse of the money-spending public.
How do you know that? We barely know anything about it so far, and we donít even have a trailer yet!
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 AM.