Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Saw: The Final Chapter 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.86
13 hrs ago
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Green Hornet 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Those Redheads from Seattle 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.35
20 hrs ago
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.25
20 hrs ago
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.11
18 hrs ago
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pixels 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.44

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.58

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
Post 3D Auto-Conversion Discussion Thread (Auto Conversion of 2D Content to 3D)

Isn't it the same?
So when you have Avatar for example the 3D tv can convert it to 3D why does they make 3D blu rays when the tv can convert all 2D material to 3D?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
3D Moderator

Jul 2007
Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place...

2D to 3D conversion is similar to the comparison from Blu-ray to DVD upconversion. True Hd quality on Blu-ray is vastly superior to upconverted DVD's. 2D to 3D conversion is often downright awful at times, and isn't available on several 3D TV's from Panasonic and LG. Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
2D to 3D conversion is similar to the comparison from Blu-ray to DVD upconversion. True Hd quality on Blu-ray is vastly superior to upconverted DVD's. 2D to 3D conversion is often downright awful at times, and isn't available on several 3D TV's from Panasonic and LG. Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth.
Ok thanks so when you have a samsung 3D tv you don't have to buy 3D movies because they convert 2D blu rays to 3D quite good
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Ok thanks so when you have a samsung 3D tv you don't have to buy 3D movies because they convert 2D blu rays to 3D quite good
Wow boy do you have a unique ability to selectively read. So much so I wonder if your trolling.

Comparing realtime upconverted 3D to real 3D is like comparing Blu-Ray to VHS. There is no comparison. Converters only make the movie look different and next to a native 3D presentation, that can only be achieved from a real 3D source, are an absolute joke.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

I call troll.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Wow boy do you have a unique ability to selectively read. So much so I wonder if your trolling.

Comparing realtime upconverted 3D to real 3D is like comparing Blu-Ray to VHS. There is no comparison. Converters only make the movie look different and next to a native 3D presentation, that can only be achieved from a real 3D source, are an absolute joke.
Hey i am not trolling i am an avid member and new to this whole 3D and when i saw a 3D can convert 2D to 3D i got curious

The guy wrote this "Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth. "

That sounds like samsung and sharp provide "some" 3D illusion but of course i guess its not the same as a real 3D blu ray
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Hey i am not trolling i am an avid member and new to this whole 3D and when i saw a 3D can convert 2D to 3D i got curious

The guy wrote this "Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth. "

That sounds like samsung and sharp provide "some" 3D illusion but of course i guess its not the same as a real 3D blu ray
In all honesty 2d to 3d real-time conversions (whilst fun for a few minutes), are not a good way to watch a film. To convert 2d to 3d well takes many months and millions of dollars for a single film, and even then nothing has come close to bieng as good as something shot nagtivly in 3d.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
In all honesty 2d to 3d real-time conversions (whilst fun for a few minutes), are not a good way to watch a film. To convert 2d to 3d well takes many months and millions of dollars for a single film, and even then nothing has come close to bieng as good as something shot nagtivly in 3d.
I posted a while ago when I stated I actually liked Toy story 3 coverted from 2D to fake 3D. It was the first time I actually watched an entire movie in this manner. I DO NOT suggest in any way that this is the way to go. I bought early with the thought there would be more titles and with better quality by now. But that hasn't happened. So I was bored and actually wanted to test the quality and to see if I would get any of the side effects everyone seems to be talking about. No issues, except I actually watched the entire film in an upconverted 2D to 3D format. LOL. Still..........it was pretty cool becaue there's not too much content. There is "no" comparison to a movie shot in native 3D versus an upconverted fake 3D image. I like the above comparison..... watching an upconverted 3D image and thinking it looks just like native 3D is like watching an upconverted DVD (stated VHS) and thinking it's as good as watching a blu. Pretty spot on. It's better if you want "something" but not even close when comparing apples to apples. To the OP, you absolutely need a 3D TV and content shot in it's native 3D form to get the most out of the experience....plus you need a 3D blu ray player, receiver, etc.

Last edited by koover; 11-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
If anything is a gimmick, it's just that. I have a Samsung 3D set and by no means is this the case. I think this feature is for people like me that want "something" to get by on.....every once in a while. It's OK (and I say this meekly) in moderation if you want a quick fix, but not for regular viewing.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
I posted a while ago when I stated I actually liked Toy story 3 coverted from 2D to fake 3D. It was the first time I actually watched an entire movie in this manner. I DO NOT suggest in any way that this is the way to go. I bought early with the thought there would be more titles and with better quality by now. But that hasn't happened. So I was bored and actually wanted to test the quality and to see if I would get any of the side effects everyone seems to be talking about. No issues, except I actually watched the entire film in an upconverted 2D to 3D format. LOL. Still..........it was pretty cool becaue there's not too much content. There is "no" comparison to a movie shot in native 3D versus an upconverted fake 3D image. I like the above comparison..... watching an upconverted 3D image and thinking it looks just like native 3D is like watching an upconverted DVD (stated VHS) and thinking it's as good as watching a blu. Pretty spot on. It's better if you want "something" but not even close when comparing apples to apples. To the OP, you absolutely need a 3D TV and content shot in it's native 3D form to get the most out of the experience....plus you need a 3D blu ray player, receiver, etc.
Fair enough, with Toy Story 3 i'm just going to wait for the inevetable 3d release. One issue with these on the fly convertors is they always remove detail.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Fair enough, with Toy Story 3 i'm just going to wait for the inevetable 3d release. One issue with these on the fly convertors is they always remove detail.
Exactly. Some compare artificial 3D with DVD upconversion. I don't think its a fair comparison. Upconversion for DVDs may never bring DVDs to the level of true high definition but they do genuinely improve the picture. On the other hand real time upconverted 3D improves nothing. The artificial depth they create sometimes works but most of the time looks strange and unnatural. I think real time 3D is more comparible with stretch o vision then DVD upconversion. Some prefer to watch 4:3 movies stretched to fill the screen but all serious home theater fans understand that pillarboxing is the best way to go. 4:3 movies are meant to be watched in 4:3 just like 2D movies are meant to be watched in 2D.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Here's a good rule

If it's HD, and you're converting one thing to another in real time, and you can afford it, it's pretty much worthless.

Any equipment that has a shot of doing a decent job will run you 5 figures, by itself, and a decent 2D-3D? 6 figures.

It takes 6-9 months to do a 2D to 3D conversion using professional tools and engineers. If a machine is doing it in 6-9 milliseconds......
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2007

My Sony does a pretty good 2d to 3d job. I was watching star wars a new hope and it gives quite a bit of depth specially during the trench attack sequence. 3d animation is where the 2 to 3d feature really shines.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #14

Oct 2010
St. Louis, Mo

some ps3 games look decent up converted as well. God of War 3 almost looks native.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

I had a samsung and it is just a gimmick to me , not even close to a real 3d movie at all .
Old 11-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #16

Nov 2010

How do you know which tv's upconvert and which ones don't. Ive been looking for a 3d tv and wanted the option. I know the 7000 and 8000 series of Samsung have the option, but would the PN58C680? Ive been looking online, but few ads state whether they do or not. Someone said that a few LG's don't upconvert, anyone know if the LG 55LX6500 will? What about DLPs?

Thanks for any help. I have been searching everywhere and most people say that 3d conversion isn't even possible.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #17

Oct 2010

2d to 3D conversion doesn't really exist, and isn't worth your time. Any one who tells you otherwise is probably just new to the 3D scene and excited.

Once someone understand how 3D works I expect they will arrive at the conclusion that IF software ever becomes available it won't be for a very long time.

Set top boxes like the Realeyes 3D have been around for a very long time and these tvs basically do the same. Essentially what's going on is a single 2D image is displayed twice, only the two images are offset by a fixed or variable amount. While watching this is weird and interesting I would not consider it a feature worthy of purchase and it is not creating the 2 different images needed for 3D.

2D-3D conversion really lies in the world of cgi where a second "camera" can be inserted too capture the second view point. Recent advancements within the cgi world (like the young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy) give hope to 2D - 3D conversions of older movies. This will definatly be expensive and time consuming and if any film ever does it well I suspect it will be the Star Wars films.

If your looking for a good tv don't let this be the deciding force. Your not likely to see many tvs better than the 65" Panasonic so use that as a good starting point. If anyone is still unsure why conversion is so complicated try holding your hands one behind the other while in front of your face. Close one eye then the other and you'll see two distinct images. To recreate this missing image is near impossible and rest assured these tvs don't do it.

Lastly you could always compare a "converted" film to the actual 3D version. I'm sure your local Best Buy will let you try it out. Just make sure you compare what you see with your left eye to your right.

3D Hardcore
Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #18

Nov 2010

I know that 3d conversion isn't as good, and some things come out horrible when you upconvert. I played some computer games (regular 2d) that were hooked up to a 3d tv at comic-con, and I am trying to get this feature at home. I don't really plan on watching many 3d movies, but need a new tv anyway and figure with 3d becoming more popular it is dumb not to get one.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #19

Oct 2010

3D PC games have been around for a while and most games are not really conversions, two separate views are actually generated.

Here is an old setup

http://www.edimensional.com/product_...products_id=28

you can also check out nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

Just be cautious when buying older 3D equipment as there are many faked 3D items out there and you really need to do your research.

3D Hardcore
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Talking 3D autoconversion - TVs / players converting 2D movies to 3D

Like with DVD to HD Upconverts on Blu-Ray Players, will a 3D-BD Player (in my case PS3) upconvert 2D BDs to 3D(I suppose it would be more simulated). It'd be interesting to see RE1-3 in 3d along with afterlife.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology