Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Swamp Thing: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$12.99
19 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
19 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$8.99
5 hrs ago
Bloodline (Blu-ray)
$3.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #421
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default The Space Saving Rotating CD/DVD Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
How about this one!?

Created for Hammacher Schlemmer, this is the spinning media storage tower that holds over 1,000 CDs and up to 832 Blu-rays, 476 DVDs, or 280 VHS cassettes in less than 4' sq. of floor space. It occupies just a 26 1/2" diam. footprint and rotates 360į on 11 stainless steel ball bearings to provide convenient access on all four sides. Ideal for those with large CD or DVD collections, the rotating DVD storage tower has 28 adjustable 5 1/4" deep shelves that can be raised or lowered allowing you to create custom storage configurations. Constructed from engineered wood with a laminate finish, itís balanced for smooth rotation and features an unobtrusive profile. Assembly required. Black. 50" H x 26 1/2" Diam. (49 3/4 lbs.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfan73 View Post
That looks fantastic as someone that wants to take back so much of the square footage of my house dedicated to 3,000 + movies on disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Never found spinner saved a lot of space. They're shaped differently so may fit into certain spaces better, but they often take up more sq footage/disc than a typical wall unit
I owned a couple units similar to these. Had them stacked in a spot where your typical wall unit wasn't an option. These bad boys are 50" tall though. No stacking these puppies unless you have cathedral ceilings.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #422
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I owned a couple units similar to these. Had them stacked in a spot where your typical wall unit wasn't an option. These bad boys are 50" tall though. No stacking these puppies unless you have cathedral ceilings.
Typically you're not suppose to stack rotating media racks anyway, and the manufacturer do not recommend it because it's unsafe. The top rack can lose its balance when it's being rotated and tip over, and the weight will eventually weaken the bottom rack overtime and collapse. If they're not made to be stackable I wouldn't stack them.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #423
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Typically you're not suppose to stack rotating media racks anyway, and the manufacturer do not recommend it because it's unsafe. The top rack can lose its balance when it's being rotated and tip over, and the weight will eventually weaken the bottom rack overtime and collapse. If they're not made to be stackable I wouldn't stack them.
It's about exercising good judgement. The ones I had were extremely stable, very well made. They were stacked the entire time I owned them, 15 years or so. They were just as solid the day I sold them as when I had bought them new. You could jump up and down right next to them and they wouldn't budge. There's was absolutely no tippping them over short of tackling them. Again, it's all about exercising good judgement. Not everyone needs their hand held.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #424
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
For large collections, I still highly recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Maxs.../dp/B000A0FXCK

I have 12 currently, and of all of the different types I've tried, I keep coming back. Not the best looking, unfortunately, but the "12 tier" size buys you so much more storage than the traditional "4-5 shelf" ones you find in stores. It's worth noting that with Blu or DVD cases, you only get 10 usable shelves, each holding roughly 50 discs..

The most interesting part I've found, and I don't think it's suggested by the manufacturer, is that you can link them together by sharing the end-pieces across 2 stands.

For instance, 4 poles = 1 stand, but you can use 6 poles and create 2 stands out of it.. this saves some space and creates a much sturdier wall. You can even use this to bend around corners easily. Saves about 3-4" of gap between shelves.

I've tried the pre-pac stuff, the bookcases, the spinners, the plastic shelves, the wooden shelves, the wood + metal shelves, but in the end, these were the best bet. 500+ discs of storage for under $100? Best value I've found.

The big benefit is the height and sheer number of shelves (without them being "extra deep" like the Billy's)
Someone asked for some photos -- here's a quick look at how they link together.

The one downside of it is that because you're using 1 pole to hold shelves for 2 stands, they do have to offset eachother, so it looks a bit like:
---___---___---

For me, the added stability of them (linked together) and the space saved (several inches between each stand) was worth it. Each stand holds about 500 Blu-Rays (10 shelves x 50 discs each). The nice thing is that you can get 10 DVD-Sized shelves out of it also. Most shelving will cut the DVD shelves down quite a bit (I have some 6-shelf ones that only hold 4 shelves if set to DVD size)
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (06-08-2020), gwfb5 (06-21-2020), SlayersCouncil (06-09-2020), slm (06-08-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #425

Aug 2019
Utah
Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
I just stumbled upon this. I don't know if they are new but they are cheap, black and nearly the same size.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnby-...lack-10261129/

Anyone have the Finnby? I'm thinking I'd want at least 3-4 but I wonder how many movies they'd fit?
FINNBY owner here. Once my anime DVD collection started reaching a critical mass, I had to go and upgrade my shelving solution.

(Circa late 2018. Awful set-up lol)
[Show spoiler]

I originally was going to get the Billy over the Finnby, but I decided to get the Finnby instead for these main reasons;

- Finnby has a smaller shelf depth (9 1/2 inches) which means a tighter profile against the wall/smaller footprint.
- The Billy...is so damn high... (80 inches) If you live in an apartment/condo, your collection is gonna borderline scrape the ceiling if you're like me and stack a line of BD's on the very top. The Finnby is at a much more modest and organizable height at 70 inches.
- The Finnby is $30 flat rate. The Billy is $80 for all colors except White. (which is obviously because white doesn't look good in ANY house decor so they don't sell, which is why they're $20 cheaper than other colors)
- The price of an extra shelf on the Billy is $15. The Finnby doesn't have the option of additional shelves at IKEA... But that doesn't matter - just buy another Finnby unit at $30 and you get three shelves out of it! Wahzing!

Now there are a couple downsides to the Finnby...

- Not as wide as the Billy, meaning less space.
- The left and right side of the Billy has pre-drilled holes for any desired/position of additional shelves. The Finnby's second shelf from the bottom is required/part of the foundation and has gaps on the left/right side that are in between drilled holes, which makes additional shelf placement... awkward... (You'll see what I mean in pictures below)

free pic hosting

The Finnby's are really light. I was afraid that they'd be super wobbly. (I don't have them fastened to the wall) My state recently went through an earthquake tho, and the Finnby's particle board didn't crack or splint. I also recently moved to a new place, and while moving them I didn't encounter any flimsiness or wobbling. I'm sure I could make them crack if I wanted to, but day-to-day stuff doesn't break them down - which is a good thing.

Overall, I'm happy with my Finnby's. Despite the awkward shelf placing, they look quite nice. They're very well recieved by customers so I think they'll be around for a while at IKEA. We'll see what happens years down the road. But right now, they put a smile on my face.

And the black finish matches my new condo Here's a picture of my Finnby's that's just a few weeks old;

(My Custom Seven Slot Finnby's)
upload pictures online

Last edited by The Collector FX; 06-11-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (06-11-2020), dcx4610 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #426

May 2020
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwopkenobi62 View Post
Hey theree have you thought about building your own shelf? You can check mine in my gallery. My dad and I did the whole thing for 110.00 and it will hold up to 1,500 blus. Fairly easy to build and is pretty low profile. We cut the floor moulding and chair rail out so it could be right against the wall. Took us a about half a day to do it.
Your dad did an excellent job on those shelves. They look great.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #427

May 2020
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny80 View Post
I made my own shelves using some black iron gas piping and some 1x10x4 pine. I sanded and oiled the pine. The 1x10 is actually about 9.25" in width, you could get away with a 1x8 but we wanted these shelves for more things then movies. They are used for books, pictures, etc. I just built them the other day and am really happy with how they turned out. They are still pretty bare and I only have about 20 movies but with 4 of these i'd guesstimate it would hold about 400 blurays if that was all that I had on them. I have them spaced out 12" apart and with 2" pipes for aestehics but you could easily convert them to 1" pipe and space them 8" apart if bluray was the only purpose.
I've been considering going that route using custom metal brackets mounted into the wall (at the studs) with wooden shelves. In my case, however, my shelves would be at least twice your length. My concern is that the cumulative weight might become an issue.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #428
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
As you continue to buy more movies, you're going to need a media rack not a case. For $24.00 you can get nice rack that will hold a lot more movies, not a case that only hold 28 movies.
Hmm, didn't get notification of your reply so I missed it. Yup, I was using media racks until one broke then I decided to try another approach. I love the fact that it compartmentalizes everything so you can move them easily just by carrying one case, de-stacking and then restacking them. I moved my sub the other day and it took like 30 seconds to move 350 movies, all still racked I like the way they look, too, all symmetrical and everything and you just lower the magnetic flap, grab a movie, then raise it again and it holds movies in there snugly. I see what you are saying, though, I had racks for years. Now I'm trying to buy only movies that I really, really want in 4K and screen other things on Netflix and Prime like Knives Out, for example. I don't see it growing that fast but we'll see. I have a lot more wall space but you can only stack them three or four high until it looks unstable. I have accumulated about 350 movies over 12 years so we'll see. Some of you guys have A LOT of movies WOW! Here's a pic that gives you an idea of what they look like. It just shows a corner, though. I'll post other pics in my gallery once I get everything setup. (Now I use the good rack to hold my really large collector's editions like Blade Runner and Bond 50. 5 collections, 5 shelves )

Last edited by BluLobsta; 06-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #429

Dec 2007
NH

Quote:

The one downside of it is that because you're using 1 pole to hold shelves for 2 stands, they do have to offset eachother, so it looks a bit like:
---___---___---

For me, the added stability of them (linked together) and the space saved (several inches between each stand) was worth it. Each stand holds about 500 Blu-Rays (10 shelves x 50 discs each). The nice thing is that you can get 10 DVD-Sized shelves out of it also. Most shelving will cut the DVD shelves down quite a bit (I have some 6-shelf ones that only hold 4 shelves if set to DVD size)
That looks really great!
Old 07-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #430

Nov 2013
Default Atlantic blu ray shelves

[QUOTE=SPIDERone;17727688]Someone asked for some photos -- here's a quick look at how they link together.

Taking advantage of SPIDERone's linking idea, I took six of the Atlantic Maxsteel 8 tier units, linked them four bays wide and stacked two high. I connected the top and bottom units by flipping the bottom one over, and screwing a 1/4"-20 threaded rod into the footpad sockets. Rubber caps replaced the footpads.

Stacked like that, the units are definitely wobbly so I screwed 1x4s into the wall studs, and strapped the shelf units to the 1x4s with pipe straps.

The setup provides eleven shelves tall enough for DVD cases, with two of the top 12th shelves tall enough for CDs. So about 88 linear feet of DVD shelf space and 4 linear feet for CDs with the four-bay-wide arrangement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0471D.jpg (16.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0458D.jpg (12.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.jpg (8.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by dprevett; 07-01-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #431
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

[quote=dprevett;17808746]
Quote:

Taking advantage of SPIDERone's linking idea, I took six of the Atlantic Maxsteel 8 tier units, linked them four bays wide and stacked two high. I connected the top and bottom units by flipping the bottom one over, and screwing a 1/4"-20 threaded rod into the footpad sockets. Rubber caps replaced the footpads.

Stacked like that, the units are definitely wobbly so I screwed 1x4s into the wall studs, and strapped the shelf units to the 1x4s with pipe straps.

The setup provides eleven shelves tall enough for DVD cases, with two of the top 12th shelves tall enough for CDs. So about 88 linear feet of DVD shelf space and 4 linear feet for CDs with the four-bay-wide arrangement.
Nice! As tall as the 12-tier ones are (10 usable shelves for DVD or Blu-Ray), I always wish they made them just a bit higher! The big value in these shelves are being able to compact them into so little room (each shelf holds about 55 discs).

One thing I did on one of my walls (with 5 connected together) to increase stability, is to have it corner around the room. I did this by connecting just 1 leg between 2 racks on the final shelf, and tilting it at a bit of an angle (so it doesn't go perfectly straight -- it has a bit of a bend at the end. This seems to keep it stable by not allowing it to fall forwards (or backwards), Something like _ _ _ / or _ _ _| if against a corner/wall.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #432
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

All my discs simply have to be stored in units with doors now. (Ikea Billy with doors)

Several years ago one of my cats took to urinating on the lower shelf. That was delightful, it really was! Those in amarays mostly survived as it hadn't soaked into the insert, but slips, digipacks, etc were gonners. I threw some, and kept some that were salvageable, so I have a few urine stained digipacks left. I wince to look at them....

Mind you, I'd happily swap Blu-rays to have the little cow back now.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #433

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
All my discs simply have to be stored in units with doors now. (Ikea Billy with doors)

Several years ago one of my cats took to urinating on the lower shelf. That was delightful, it really was! Those in amarays mostly survived as it hadn't soaked into the insert, but slips, digipacks, etc were gonners. I threw some, and kept some that were salvageable, so I have a few urine stained digipacks left. I wince to look at them....

Mind you, I'd happily swap Blu-rays to have the little cow back now.
awww...they are such special creatures.
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #434
Special Member

Feb 2008
Norwich - UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
My personal preference is to keep my BD collection concealed/out of site as much as possible. Iíve never really been a fan of the open bookshelf format as book shelves in general donít appeal to me because I donít like clutter. So my collection stays behind closed doors.

These are old pics and the cabinets are much more full now but it holds my entire collection of over 800 BDs with room to spare and occupies a more reasonable footprint than most other options Iíve seen.

I bought these on amazon years back for around $200 a piece and IIRC theyíre rated to hold around 450 BDs each. Shelves are adjustable, they can be locked to keep kids out, lighting was installed by me using LED light strips from IKEA and are activated by voice command via an Echo Dot.

Completely agree with keeping them out of sight.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #435

Sep 2009

I Just finished building my own blu-ray shelf. Used poplar and a dark grey stain from Minwax and then finished with a matte finish.

Itís 74Ē x 48Ē x 5 1/2Ē. The shelves are 7 3/4Ē in height. Just enough room to fit a DVD case.

This should be able to hold upwards of 800 blurays. I have about 478 at the moment, plus the TV series at the top. I kept that top shelf open to accommodate larger cases.

IMG_1732.jpg
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (07-30-2020), CtrlCtrlFast (07-31-2020), postmodel (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #436

Jan 2020
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaFive View Post
I'm putting the finishing touches on my new home theater. I decided to go with IKEA's classic Billy shelves. In order to minimize wasted space, I added an extra two shelves per bookshelf. I bought the glass doors to match but am uncertain whether I'll use them or not.

I am really pleased with how everything's coming along

They do have the advantage the shelve sizes are adjustable as well, if you've got some larger boxsets.
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #437
Power Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

The wife has always loved working with wood, and has finally gotten around to knocking up the Blu-ray storage unit we planned about a year ago. The wood has been laying up the stars for just as long, but it's all on the way now.

It will have the capacity for about 500 discs, designed to be a metre tall, and 240" in length. To be stained with a matte finish to prevent reflection in a completely blacked-out room, we are calling it: "The Cedric".

If Ikea can come up with dopey names for a couple of bits of wood stuck together, I'm damn sure we can.

unit.jpg
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (07-31-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction