Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Swamp Thing: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$12.99
19 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
19 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$8.99
5 hrs ago
Bloodline (Blu-ray)
$3.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #81
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I think better than a lawsuit would be to stop buying Samsung products.
Each person can make that free choice for themselves, and for the benefit of everyone else.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #82

Aug 2018

So do we contact zabookings@samsung.com (Repair Follow-Ups), tellus@samsung.com (Technical Enquiries), or what other email in order to get the Blu-ray player replaced or fixed? I have a BD-J5700 (Not region free) that just broke down last week and I heard that a lot of other BD-J5700s are breaking down too. But, I just want to confirm if we contact zabookings@samsung.com in order to replace the player with a fixed one or do we have to go to tellus@samsung.com in order to tell them about the situation and replace it. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #83
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNical View Post
So do we contact zabookings@samsung.com (Repair Follow-Ups), tellus@samsung.com (Technical Enquiries), or what other email in order to get the Blu-ray player replaced or fixed? I have a BD-J5700 (Not region free) that just broke down last week and I heard that a lot of other BD-J5700s are breaking down too. But, I just want to confirm if we contact zabookings@samsung.com in order to replace the player with a fixed one or do we have to go to tellus@samsung.com in order to tell them about the situation and replace it. Thanks in advance!
you may as well contact both.
Thanks given by:
NeoNical (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #84
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
There should be a lawsuit. Regardless of what the player owners get, Samsung shouldn't get away scott-free from this. If they don't do something to get the players fixed, then it should be fully prosecutable.
In a sense, I agree. They should be held liable. But, the thing with class action lawsuits is once a sum is agreed upon or imposed by a court, it is evenly distributed amongst people who file a claim. Look at the PS3/Linux lawsuit for example. They were ordered to pay up to 3.75 million dollars to claimants. I was one of those and you know what I got? A check for 3 dollars. I'd rather them fix the problem or send me a new, unaffected player because 3 dollars is shit.

And for anyone out there keeping up with this, my Pops also had one get "stuck in the loop" but, for anyone who has a player they haven't turned on yet that could possibly be affected, there is a solution. My Pops' girlfriend has the same player in her bedroom so he turned off the Wi-Fi, turned her player on, disconnected it from the internet, turned it off, flipped the Wi-Fi back on and turned her player on again, and it was completely unaffected.
Thanks given by:
stratford (08-01-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #85
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
I think better than a lawsuit would be to stop buying Samsung products.
Each person can make that free choice for themselves, and for the benefit of everyone else.
In defense of Samsung as a brand their smartphones and tablets are amazing, some of their laptops are ok, their appliances are good. The TV's they make are also really good. The only thing they were bad at was making disc players imo. I liked some of their disc players like the HD-DVD/BD combo player and their 4K UHD players. Their DVD and Blu-ray players they made are just basically meh. Some were ok and others just disposable.

Only buy a Samsung disc player if it's a UHD model and cheap enough otherwise it's the only Samsung product to really avoid imo.

What's going on with their disc players bricking though with no fault to the user is just highly unacceptable. It's also another reason to avoid the one Samsung product that is no good, their disc players. However they are very popular well known brand so people will keep buying Samsung products, even their used disc players.

Only buy their UHD disc players, stay clear from all other Samsung disc players even DVD unless the price is really cheap like garage sale cheap.

Last edited by danny24; 07-02-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #86
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
In defense of Samsung as a brand their smartphones and tablets are amazing, some of their laptops are ok, their appliances are good. The TV's they make are also really good. The only thing they were bad at was making disc players imo. I liked some of their disc players like the HD-DVD/BD combo player and their 4K UHD players. Their DVD and Blu-ray players they made are just basically meh. Some were ok and others just disposable.

Only buy a Samsung disc player if it's a UHD model and cheap enough otherwise it's the only Samsung product to really avoid imo.

What's going on with their disc players bricking though with no fault to the user is just highly unacceptable. It's also another reason to avoid the one Samsung product that is no good, their disc players. However they are very popular well known brand so people will keep buying Samsung products, even their used disc players.

Only buy their UHD disc players, stay clear from all other Samsung disc players even DVD unless the price is really cheap like garage sale cheap.
I'm happy with my BD player, it has a lot of support for formats that other makes don't bother with, including VCD and digitial formats, and has a decent selection of settings. I've seen players from 'more respectable' makes that offer none of this.

Anyone in the UK with a bricked j5500, please don;t chuck it. Mine still works as it wasn't online when this happened. I'd be interested in buying your dead machine for parts to keep mine going over time if possible.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #87
Special Member

Oct 2010

Apparently, we missed it, but Samsung is doing free repairs for the boot loop issue, according to their support forum. Just contact them and make arrangements to mail it in.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-06-2020), stratford (08-01-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #88
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Apparently, we missed it, but Samsung is doing free repairs for the boot loop issue, according to their support forum. Just contact them and make arrangements to mail it in.
If you're in the UK they'll collect and repair the devices.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #89

Jun 2018
S-Central IN

"chatted" with Samsung today - the whole process took 20 mins (must have been busy). I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience, but...

Now to box it up and take it to UPS.

I just wonder what I'm going to do with it once it's 'healed' -- already replaced it and much happier with its Sony 4k replacement.

I wonder what "they did" that requires a service send in and why Samsung isn't just lol'ing at people (out of warranty, no longer updated).

Edit: for some infernal reason Chrome would not open the dialogue box to print, instead I had to use the craptastic Edge grrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by PoorCampBlu; 07-06-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Chrome
Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #90
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
If you're in the UK they'll collect and repair the devices.
Wonder how this will affect chipped machines. Would they remove the ICOS chip? Refuse to do it because it was modded?

On another note, are they safe to cnnect to the internet again?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #91
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Wonder how this will affect chipped machines. Would they remove the ICOS chip? Refuse to do it because it was modded?

On another note, are they safe to connect to the internet again?
I wouldn't connect them at the moment, you'd probably have to ask.

As to modifications, again you'd probably have to ask (to make sure they don't remove them), but all their players are out of warranty as they haven't made them for a while (unless you bought old/new stock).
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 AM   #92

Jun 2013

Worked for me. I had two of the same Samsung model, but only one was ever connected to the internet. Now it's a just blob of plastic and metal. But the never-connected one still works perfectly. No more Samsung for me, though.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #93
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbaxter View Post
Worked for me. I had two of the same Samsung model, but only one was ever connected to the internet. Now it's a just blob of plastic and metal. But the never-connected one still works perfectly. No more Samsung for me, though.
I don't think you will have that problem because Samsung exited the BD/UHD player market in early 2019. You can't walk into a store and buy one new anymore, it's all second hand.

If you can find one of their UHD players used or new cheap they are not that bad, just leave the internet off, lol.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #94
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Players likely bricked because of an invalid XML file pushed by Samsung.
https://www.technadu.com/expired-cer...t-loop/147615/

Samsung has since replaced the XML file to prevent players from getting bricked if they were not connected to the internet during all of this. Offering to repair bricked players for free because this is all their fault.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #95
Expert Member

Aug 2009

the place I bought mine from thought that it was a bodged update to BBC Iplayer, but I can't see that as only UK machines have iPlayer.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #96

Jun 2018
S-Central IN

Mine has returned and seems perfectly fine. And it came home all polished it up.

I do have mine connected to the internet - it's the way I do my Vudu

I guess I'm satisfied, maybe not totally happy, but it could have been much worse.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #97
Special Member

Aug 2009

samsung look to have done the right thing, high 5 to them
Old 08-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #98
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
samsung look to have done the right thing, high 5 to them
They have no choice but to do the right thing. Their purchasing influence with consumers depends heavily on their brand recognition and there is still a massive amount of Samsung disc players in retail channels, being sold at full price, even though the company does not manufacture them anymore. In order to sell their smaller TVs in global markets, they have to have people willing to buy their disc players, which are still essential to their bottom line profits.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 AM   #99
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

They caused peoples players to brick it was their fault. So yeah they have to honor repairs free of charge. Some people might also try to sue them I wouldn't be surprised. Glad people are sending them in and getting them back, what a mess this was for Samsung. They have to clean it up now.

Last edited by danny24; 08-03-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders