Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Swamp Thing: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$12.99
20 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
20 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$8.99
5 hrs ago
Bloodline (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #25521
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I am going to attempt to cut my own hair today! I haz a barber kit. This is going to be hilarious!
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-30-2020), octagon (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #25522
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am going to attempt to cut my own hair today! I haz a barber kit. This is going to be hilarious!
Just don’t wear any pants. Or, don’t mention them. Or something
Thanks given by:
octagon (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #25523
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

There are audiophiles and writers that truly believe they are missing something with digital audio because it is sampled. Because it is sampled (chopped up in their terms) they think the audio signal can not be faithfully reproduced. Harry Nyquist figured out quite sometime back you can faithfully reproduce a signal if you followed some mathematical rules.

They do look bewildered when I tell them the exact same thing happens with digital video, the signal from a camera sensor is analog, sampled and processed just like audio from a microphone. So I ask, “do you see hairs that are chopped into little pieces or one continuous hair.”
Thanks given by:
Ectropy (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #25524
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Just don’t wear any pants. Or, don’t mention them. Or something
Well, naturally. Who wants to wind up with hairy pants?

All done. Now I haz crop circles on my head; it's a Signs of the times.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #25525
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Well, naturally. Who wants to wind up with hairy pants?
You could have done a Moe Howard haircut, all that you would need is a large bowl and clippers. With the disc size of yours it would follow you have the big head and hence the large bowl size.

Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #25526
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
You could have done a Moe Howard haircut, all that you would need is a large bowl and clippers. With the disc size of yours it would follow you have the big head and hence the large bowl size.

[Show spoiler]
I am sure that I have no idea what you mean.

Moe was one stylish stooge and his haircut came out better than mine did.
Thanks given by:
octagon (07-30-2020), Wendell R. Breland (07-30-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #25527
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Hmm Vilya as Moe. He does tend to slap at people, when teased!

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 PM   #25528
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Hmm Vilya as Moe. He does tend to slap at people, when teased!

The Three Stooges - Moe Slap Happy - YouTube
Love taps, nothing more. All done with love.

It is hard not be a Moe when there are so many Curly's around here.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-31-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #25529
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Another Spartacus UHD Blu-ray review here. This reviewer believes this is a “Must Own” version. Gave it high marks for the HDR video and DTS:X sound track. Have not watched my copy yet.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #25530
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Another Spartacus UHD Blu-ray review here. This reviewer believes this is a “Must Own” version. Gave it high marks for the HDR video and DTS:X sound track. Have not watched my copy yet.
I got my copy. I have no idea when I will watch it, though.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #25531
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
Seems like there were some misunderstandings/misconceptions earlier too. One being that you need your whole Kaleidescape library stored locally. You really don't.

A Strato 6TB is a complete Kaleidescape system that can serve all your needs regardless of how much content you own. Your store purchases are kept in your account, and you can freely download/redownload. A 6TB Strato will hold 100+ 4k titles. Plenty of space to store a lot of favorites, then you can just cycle content as you see fit. 100+ titles is plenty to choose from on any given night, and that Strato can download a 4k movie in ~45 minutes or less.

You only need a Terra and all the extra storage if you have a specific reason or because you want it and you have the money to buy it. So, don't discount using a Kaleidescape because of storage costs or limits.

I'm happy to answer questions here, so ask away. I run an Apple TV and a Kaleidescape system in my theater (plus gaming hardware). No more discs and no more ripping for me.

Thanks for your feedback and glad you like it.

That being said I don't think it is about misunderstanding but difference in point of view.

we did discuss what happens if something happens to the machine and that you can re-download them. I think to most of us what you said was taken for granted. But like you said some of us don't see it as a viable option.

I am a bit of a r dichotomy, in many stuff I am a minimalist, but I love books and films so I have huge collections. I am very patient in most stuff, but not when it comes to films and games.

Vilya gave one very good reason why he would prefer local storage. And I agree with it (and let's face it K has filed for bankruptcy collection and closed down temporarily more than once).

Back in the 80's I worked next to rental place, there was an other rental place a few blocks from my home my co-workers could not grasp why I wasted my money on films when "you can just go next door rent a film bring it home and bring it back when you come in to work the next day" my parents thought " the rental place is 5 minutes away, why don't you just rent instead of waste your money". For me it was (and is) simple buying films buys me the luxury of deciding at the last second "I want to watch X".

I get that it does not take a long time to re-Dl a film from K, but for me anything less then instantaneous is too long. I don't collect films to say I have a bunch of them, I collect them so that I can say "I have free time Now this second and I just decided I want to watch X" and I can dio that in the best quality possible.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #25532
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Even if you do everything right, vinyl degrades with each playing. Make ONE mistake handling vinyl, by you or by someone else in your home, and, oops, it is scratched and ruined. Vinyl warps pretty easily, too; it was fun watching the tonearm rise and fall as it surfed the "waves" of a warped disc. Anyone miss the delightful sound resulting from the tonearm being dropped accidentally and having it bounce and/or skate across the album? Even the most careful adult can find his albums ruined after kids get their grubby little hands on them.

I never liked having to clean vinyl and styli, either; a pain in the caboose. Remember removing the little clumps of dust that collected on the stylus? Vinyl is too fragile, requires too much routine maintenance, and it does not even sound better. "Snap, Crackle, & Pop" sounds nice only with Rice Krispies cereal, not with my music.

All I miss about vinyl is that many albums had awesome cover art.
I don’t disagree with a lot of the negatives with vinyl mentioned so far, but I will challenge the notion that it doesn’t sound better. It does however require a certain level of investment in equipment and vinyl to get to a level where there is a discernible difference. You can’t buy a used copy of something for $5.99 and throw it on a $100 turntable and expect to be blown away.

More importantly to me, there is a definite nostalgia involved and a connection with the music. I bought my first album when I was 10 yrs old (Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams) and built up a modest collection of 1000 albums by the time I graduated college. None of these see my turntable now as I didn’t take care of them properly because I was enjoying the college life. I only play new copies, usually remastered 180g pressings.

I am a tactile person and appreciate the process of playing an album, and actually sitting down to listen to it in its entirety, not jumping around from song to song. I love the artwork and reading liner notes about every detail. I am still to this day pulling out the liner notes of CDs in my car quizzing myself if I remember who was in a certain band, or who produced the album amongst other details. Music is more of a passion for me, maybe even more than movies, as I listen to about two hours of music a day and dissect each note because that is how I am wired.

The way music is acquired today doesn’t provide the same experience or discovery compared to the way the industry used to be. The romanticism I speak about was going to a store on release day to pick up an album or two just released that day, where you have not heard anything from the album, but it is a band you like. You go home, open it up, and put in on the turntable reading the sleeve and everything about it, and discover the music for the first time. There is a connection there that you do not get by opening up iTunes or Spotify and downloading something you have already heard a couple of songs from. It is not the same.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great bands making music today, and I buy their CDs and go see them live whenever they come to town, so this is not some old guy saying music was better when I was young. I simply appreciate the industry the way it used to be.

Last edited by gotmule; 08-01-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (08-02-2020), Wendell R. Breland (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #25533
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I don’t disagree with a lot of the negatives with vinyl mentioned so far, but I will challenge the notion that it doesn’t sound better. It does however require a certain level of investment in equipment and vinyl to get to a level where there is a discernible difference. You can’t buy a used copy of something for $5.99 and throw it on a $100 turntable and expect to be blown away.

More importantly to me, there is a definite nostalgia involved and a connection with the music. I bought my first album when I was 10 yrs old (Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams) and built up a modest collection of 1000 albums by the time I graduated college. None of these see my turntable now as I didn’t take care of them properly because I was enjoying the college life. I only play new copies, usually remastered 180g pressings.

I am a tactile person and appreciate the process of playing an album, and actually sitting down to listen to it in its entirety, not jumping around from song to song. I love the artwork and reading liner notes about every detail. I am still to this day pulling out the liner notes of CDs in my car quizzing myself if I remember who was in a certain band, or who produced the album amongst other details. Music is more of a passion for me, maybe even more than movies, as I listen to about two hours of music a day and dissect each note because that is how I am wired.

The way music is acquired today doesn’t provide the same experience or discovery compared to the way the industry used to be. The romanticism I speak about was going to a store on release day to pick up an album or two just released that day, where you have not heard anything from the album, but it is a band you like. You go home, open it up, and put in on the turntable reading the sleeve and everything about it, and discover the music for the first time. There is a connection there that you do not get by opening up iTunes or Spotify and downloading something you have already heard a couple of songs from. It is not the same.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great bands making music today, and I buy their CDs and go see them live whenever they come to town, so this is not some old guy saying music was better when I was young. I simply appreciate the industry the way it used to be.
Every album I ever played had some degree of noise associated with it, some amount of "snap, crackle, & pop" was always heard, and for that reason alone they do not sound better in my opinion.

I remember all of that nostalgia as well, but no amount of "new album smell" makes me want to return to the ordeal that maintaining a vinyl collection entailed. Done all that already and I won't ever do it again.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (08-01-2020), Misioon_Odisea (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #25534
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

My first album was Destroyer (I was 6 or 7 at the time)

First concert was also Kiss in 76, I believe it was the Alive II tour.

My post wasn’t supposed to be about vinyl but lossless audio.

I listen to 5.1 high res audio from a computer (Mac mini) and I don’t believe vinyl of any weight could compete. But, maybe... I just dont Believe it. Some vinyl had quad and I have a few of those quad mixes in high res also but newer 5.1 remasters are just amazing.

Of course it’s easy to get lossless audio now but it doesn’t come from streaming video. And, I donT know if wireless headphones can do it either.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #25535
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Every album I ever played had some degree of noise associated with it, some amount of "snap, crackle, & pop" was always heard, and for that reason alone they do not sound better in my opinion.

I remember all of that nostalgia as well, but no amount of "new album smell" makes me want to return to the ordeal that maintaining a vinyl collection entailed. Done all that already and I won't ever do it again.
That’s fair and I can definitely respect that.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #25536
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

How did I miss this release?!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-H...lu-ray/265702/

I love this movie and the old DVD looks like sh**. Must. order. now. and damn the insane shipping cost.

Last edited by Vilya; 08-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #25537
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
My first album was Destroyer (I was 6 or 7 at the time)

First concert was also Kiss in 76, I believe it was the Alive II tour.

My post wasn’t supposed to be about vinyl but lossless audio.

I listen to 5.1 high res audio from a computer (Mac mini) and I don’t believe vinyl of any weight could compete. But, maybe... I just dont Believe it. Some vinyl had quad and I have a few of those quad mixes in high res also but newer 5.1 remasters are just amazing.

Of course it’s easy to get lossless audio now but it doesn’t come from streaming video. And, I donT know if wireless headphones can do it either.
I bought both Destroyer and Alive II when I was 11. It made sense at that age to like that band, but I can’t stand listening to Paul Stanley sing nowadays. In fact the reason I bought Destroyer (along with Foghat Live) was I was with my older cousin in NYC with our parents and we stopped in a record store. He bought those two albums and we opened them up back at my house listening to them. I bought them within a few months after that. I am wondering if someone will remember when they downloaded something some 40 yrs later.

I have a friend who is a big vinyl guy with a Naim, Dynaudio, REL system. He also has a Mac with all lossless music on it hooked up to his system with a pair of $5000 Transparent interconnects, so he is slightly into it. We spent an afternoon a couple of years ago going back and forth between vinyl and the lossless file of the same album. There is no way to do this as a blind test, so there is no science involved, but it was still a cool way to kill a couple of hours. Lossless can definitely rival a killer analog setup is where we ended up, but then again, there were some cocktails involved so the judges might have been distracted.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #25538
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
How did I miss this release?!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-H...lu-ray/265702/

I love this movie and the DVD looks like arse crack. Must. order. now. and damn the insane shipping cost.
The tug of war scene is brutal.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #25539
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
Default These are the Best Movies for 2020....So Far

Here are the top 10 Movies for 2020 according to the Arizona Republic in the USA Today Network, that my Newspaper The Spectrum ran the Article too.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ar/5434853002/

All of them came out on Streaming, except for two that came or coming out on BD. First Cow coming out in September and The Lodge came out in May. I saw Da 5 Bloods and The Lodge, both good Movies.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #25540
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Here are the top 10 Movies for 2020 according to the Arizona Republic in the USA Today Network, that my Newspaper The Spectrum ran the Article too.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ar/5434853002/

All of them came out on Streaming, except for two that came or coming out on BD. First Cow coming out in September and The Lodge came out in May. I saw Da 5 Bloods and The Lodge, both good Movies.
Your link requires that I turn off my ad blocker, and that's not going to happen, so I can't read their list.

I own The Lodge on blu-ray; I might watch that tonight.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology