Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Full Metal Jacket 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
13 hrs ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$53.99
11 hrs ago
Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Swamp Thing: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Brides of Dracula (Blu-ray)
$25.99
7 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$16.50

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club Help choose 85Ē TV for UHD BD

Hi,

I Am considering replacing my 4K projector with a direct view 4K 85” TV
I’ve used projectors since 1999 and know almost nothing about TVs and I’m seeking help choosing one.

The goal is accurate reproduction of UHD BDs.

I won’t consider OLED due to the image retention, power consumption, small screen, relative high cost and low light output. So, I’m leaning more LCD, LED ect.

Budget is under $3000. I have seen a few from Samsung and LG that seem to be potentials.

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 07-17-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

May 2010
Canada

Just realize that not all of the Brands are equal. For instance Samsung does not support the Dolby Vision flavor of HDR, which in My opinion is the best version of it. So try to find a set that supports, HDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision. Also since you are replacing a projector many of the VA panels are lousy at off Axis viewing. And also understand that your 4k player will have to support all of the different flavors of HDR as well. Well good luck!!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I would avoid Samsung for the lack of Dolby Vision alone. I think it is ridiculous that they are the ONLY major TV manufacturer that does not support it. A lot of those 4K discs that you prize offer Dolby Vision and with Samsung, you won't be benefiting from it.

Anecdotally, I have friends in their 80s who needed a Samsung TV replaced while still under the warranty and it took Samsung nearly three months to get it done; they stonewalled them constantly. So, as far as I am concerned, f*** Samsung! Their customer service in this instance was beyond horrendous.

I am very happy with my 2018 model Sony 85X900F TV; you might like one of their newer models, but I think that they now all incorporate that extra wide angle viewing feature that comes at the expenses of other aspects of picture quality. They might be a bit over $3000, too.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-17-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
slm (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

Feb 2008
Default Sony 85" 900F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Hi,

I Am considering replacing my 4K projector with a direct view 4K 85Ē TV
Iíve used projectors since 1999 and know almost nothing about TVs and Iím seeking help choosing one.

I wonít consider OLED due to the image retention, power consumption, small screen, relative high cost and low light output. So, Iím leaning more LCD, LED ect.

Budget is under $3000. I have seen a few from Samsung and LG that seem to be potentials.

-Brian
I got a Sony XBR900F 85" in Feb. from Best Buy $2799. very very happy with it. Using it with a Oppo 203 & a Panasonic 9000 both 4K players. Very well rated, great blacks.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLAY View Post
I got a Sony XBR900F 85" in Feb. from Best Buy $2799. very very happy with it. Using it with a Oppo 203 & a Panasonic 9000 both 4K players. Very well rated, great blacks.
I have the same TV and I am extremely pleased with it. Between it and my Oppo 203 I am well served; even DVDs look surprisingly good on it.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2010
San Diego, CA

I would suggest waiting for the fall when the 85Ē 2021 Vizio Quantum X is getting released. Itís exactly $3000 MRSP and itís supposed to have improved processing compared to the previous models along with pretty much all the bells and whistles that are currently available for LCD TVs. High number of dimming zones (~800), high color volume, really good gaming specs, support of all HDR formats (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG), HDMI 2.1, eARC, really high brightness, etc.

I would suggest staying away from Samsung and LG. LGís LCD TVs have terrible contrast which is what you need the most for 4K / HDR content. Samsung has also been dropping contrast in favor of wider viewing angles and less dimming zones, so again, not good when you want to watch HDR content which is really the actual upgrade that 4K brings to the higher format.

Honestly, even a TCL 8 Series would look better (I believe they also announced an 85Ē model for later this year, but thereís no clear information on it yet), but Iíd suggest waiting for that Vizio as it is a brand new model with all the new stuff and itís right at your budget.

Last edited by samlop10; 07-17-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-17-2020), slm (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Thanks guys. Will keep all these in mind.

I do like Sony.

I am certainly waiting until at least fall
Thanks given by:
samlop10 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

I would look at the Sony X950H and X900H, both available in 85".

Both are fairly recent sets, so obviously the price will drop over time. The 85" X950H is currently closer to $4,000, while the 85" X900H is already within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am very happy with my 2018 model Sony 85X900F TV; you might like one of their newer models, but I think that they now all incorporate that extra wide angle viewing feature that comes at the expenses of other aspects of picture quality. They might be a bit over $3000, too.
The X950H has X-Wide Angle (though improved from 2018, it should be mentioned), while the X900H does not.
Thanks given by:
slm (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

What's your UHD BD diet like? Mostly new theatricals? Catalog? If the latter, it's likely that many of the discs you spin won't have DV. IMO it's worth looking at what "flavor" discs make up most of your viewing before eliminating Samsung on the basis of their not supporting DV (because they have their own admittedly less popular HDR10+).

I'm looking at a 2019 Samsung QN85Q70RA. QLED. A salesman is holding one (and some money) for me. In 2020, full array back lighting was moved up into the Q80 series. More expensive. These displays fall just at/above your pricing threshold.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Thanks guys. Will keep all these in mind.

I do like Sony.

I am certainly waiting until at least fall
If you like Sony and always felt confident about their products, then your instinct is telling you to stick with Sony.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
If you like Sony and always felt confident about their products, then your instinct is telling you to stick with Sony.
Yes. Since 1999 Iíve been using projectors and most of them were from Sony. One was from Canadian brand Electrohome.

I figured TVs were very different. And it seems Samsung and LG and TCL are all compelling in different ways.

my neighbor wanted to replace her vintage (720p) LCD and I thought I had her convinced to buy a TCL series 5. Then she just gave up and decided to wait more... which is fine.

My projector only does hdr10 and being a projector it does not have a high dynamic range anyway so I do tone mapping. These compromises are kind of my inspiration for moving from. Projector to direct view.

Yesterday though, I watched a few things that were 2.40:1 (trolls and the hunt) and I realize Iím going to miss having the ability to watch those things using the whole screen. My projector doesnít have lens memory and I have to zoom manually but for the moment I still like the fact that scope movies are bigger on my screen than else. Really seems thatís the way it should be. I wish there were 2.40:1 TVs coming soon.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

BHampton:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
What's your UHD BD diet like? Mostly new theatricals? Catalog?
Just remembered that we can view your collection. You've already got more UHD BDs than I have 1080s. LOL. Including lots of new theatricals. So maybe DV will be a significant factor in your calculus.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

While Iím waiting for fall to buy a TV, I noticed a 50Ē TCL series 4 new at BJs For $168 and my neighbor needed a new tv. For the price she wanted it right away.

She bought it and I set it up and seems like a great deal. It even has ATV app so I was able to add my 1000+ iTunes movies to her setup.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #14

Jan 2019
Singapore

I would choose Sony every time. They are more expensive than other brands, but I believe the extra spend saves you money in the long run.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I would choose Sony every time. They are more expensive than other brands, but I believe the extra spend saves you money in the long run.
Some LG TVs cost more than the Sony. It depends on the model.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #16

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Some LG TVs cost more than the Sony. It depends on the model.
Yes that is true. However in Singapore Sony TV's are more expensive than the equivalent LG model. I realise that this may not be the case in other countries.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Though maybe it’s crazy,...

I’m considering Samsung’s The Wall.

It seems lovely and maybe I can get it in 2.40:1 and maybe keep my 127” screen size

It would be the most expensive thing I ever buy but could be exactly what I want

I don’t know just how astronomical the price is yet.

Edit I asked Samsung for a quote just for information ..... they haven’t responded.

Last edited by bhampton; 07-29-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 AM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Quote:
Hi,

I Am considering replacing my 4K projector with a direct view 4K 85Ē TV
Iíve used projectors since 1999 and know almost nothing about TVs and Iím seeking help choosing one.

I wonít consider OLED due to the image retention, power consumption, small screen, relative high cost and low light output. So, Iím leaning more LCD, LED ect.

-Brian

Quote:
Though maybe itís crazy,...

Iím considering Samsungís The Wall.

It seems lovely and maybe I can get it in 2.40:1 and maybe keep my 127Ē screen size

It would be the most expensive thing I ever buy but could be exactly what I want

I donít know just how astronomical the price is yet.

Edit I asked Samsung for a quote just for information ..... they havenít responded.
You're not getting The Wall for under $3K. Unless it's the Pink Floyd CD. A guy on another forum was one of the first to get The Wall installed and it cost him $400K for the 146" diagonal version (4K). It's really cool tho.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You're not getting The Wall for under $3K. Unless it's the Pink Floyd CD. A guy on another forum was one of the first to get The Wall installed and it cost him $400K for the 146" diagonal version (4K). It's really cool tho.
I didn’t think I would. I’m wealthy and was thinking of a combination of saving up and financing it. (At that price I would also be looking to insure it obviously.) if the price is around 400,000 then it’s going to get cheaper faster than I save up for it but maybe the two will converge in my lifetime.

I’d pay for a Blu Ray copy of the Wall or a SACD but I already have the cds and dvd. RIP Alan Parker.

I got a call back from Samsung and returned the call. We are in phone tag mode now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microled-c...irst-line-try/

If someone else brings micro led to market at prices for mortals that would also be an option. And this is possible. I think Sony had one for $70,000 currently.

I’m quite happy with my projector at the moment but I realize it does not do hdr the way a direct view does. I’ve done a lot more tuning and enjoying my home theater this year and so while I want to move to a direct view set I can also wait for one that is better than the sets currently available. One great feature that could make me update right away would be a 2.40:1 screen.

I’m not interested in OLED (see attached photo) so I’m thinking of getting an LED/LCD type of thing. I’ll wait for micro LED if I can.

My bjs club now carries a Samsung 85” lcd for $1800 and I could get that for now and give my interest in Mirco LED time to come to mass market prices. I could replace my game system tv with one of those and keep the theater as is in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0E3F133-A89C-4B4B-BF62-FDE50E0BB79A.jpg (13.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by bhampton; 08-01-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Quote:
I didnít think I would. Iím wealthy and was thinking of a combination of saving up and financing it. (At that price I would also be looking to insure it obviously.) if the price is around 400,000 then itís going to get cheaper faster than I save up for it but maybe the two will converge in my lifetime.

Iíd pay for a Blu Ray copy of the Wall or a SACD but I already have the cds and dvd. RIP Alan Parker.

I got a call back from Samsung and returned the call. We are in phone tag mode now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microled-c...irst-line-try/

If someone else brings micro led to market at prices for mortals that would also be an option. And this is possible. I think Sony had one for $70,000 currently.

Iím quite happy with my projector at the moment but I realize it does not do hdr the way a direct view does. Iíve done a lot more tuning and enjoying my home theater this year and so while I want to move to a direct view set I can also wait for one that is better than the sets currently available. One great feature that could make me update right away would be a 2.40:1 screen.

Iím not interested in OLED (see attached photo) so Iím thinking of getting an LED/LCD type of thing. Iíll wait for micro LED if I can.

My bjs club now carries a Samsung 85Ē lcd for $1800 and I could get that for now and give my interest in Mirco LED time to come to mass market prices. I could replace my game system tv with one of those and keep the theater as is in the meantime.
I say go for it! I think it's way cool. The guy who had it installed has it motorized to rise out of the floor. It's so f*cking awesome. Here's a gif and pic he posted. Makes me get funny down there like climbing a rope in gym class.
[Show spoiler]

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion