Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96
15 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
22 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #1

Feb 2009
Unhappy Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack Discussion Thread

I have found more and more Blu-ray discs are being sold with the Digital disc included. I do not want or need the Digital disc, so why should I have to buy it, and probably pay more. Now, we are seeing BD, and DVD, combo discs, appearing more often. I can't imagine why on earth I would want or need a Blu-ray disc and a DVD, at the same time, much-the-less the useless Digital disc. When I buy a Blu-ray disc why can't I get that without all the extra junk!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

It's appeal to the people who haven't converted to Blu-ray yet. I like the digital discs myself since I do travel and I have an iPod.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

The digital copy isn't adding a signifigant increase to the price.
In fact, if you look at those films released without one.... there is no difference.

And I guess you don't have kids. And must have a Blu-Ray player in every room.

Because parents have kids that want to watch their favorite movies in the Van or in their room.

Most people just have one Blu-Ray player in the Living Room. But may want to watch a DVD in the bedroom.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008

Why can't McDonalds & Carl's Jr. just be like Bakers & Wendy's and let me pick my side order? Sometimes I don't want fries with my burger and would prefer a baked potato or a parfait. Hell, why can't these four food joints offer dessert as a side option like Yoshinoya.

I want a choice because the price is the same regardless of what you bundle or do not bundle with it.

Oh, and Disney heard the cries so you can get the Blu-ray only for The Princess and The Frog but the price difference in stores might be at most four bucks.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #5

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
The digital copy isn't adding a signifigant increase to the price.
In fact, if you look at those films released without one.... there is no difference.

And I guess you don't have kids. And must have a Blu-Ray player in every room.

Because parents have kids that want to watch their favorite movies in the Van or in their room.

Most people just have one Blu-Ray player in the Living Room. But may want to watch a DVD in the bedroom.
Good point, no kids any more (too old), however I still do not like 2 sided discs BD and DVD.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Oh, and Disney heard the cries so you can get the Blu-ray only for The Princess and The Frog but the price difference in stores might be at most four bucks.
Yeah, Ponyo is only Blu-ray and DVD, no Digital Copy. No worries about that, I made a digital copy off of my Japanese DVD.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
Special Member

Dec 2009
Oregon
Send a message via MSN to jjbsn5192

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Why can't McDonalds & Carl's Jr. just be like Bakers & Wendy's and let me pick my side order? Sometimes I don't want fries with my burger and would prefer a baked potato or a parfait. Hell, why can't these four food joints offer dessert as a side option like Yoshinoya.

I want a choice because the price is the same regardless of what you bundle or do not bundle with it.

you my friend

have won the comedy award of the night

exactly!!!

let's pay the price, when it's the same anyway's
and not have the Digital Copy

and then later be wishing we had Digital Copies with each Blu Bought! or the select Blu's which is more then half that come with Digital Copies.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berting View Post
Good point, no kids any more (too old), however I still do not like 2 sided discs BD and DVD.
The 2-Sided ones I don't like as a general rule. But I didn't like double sided DVDs either.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
Yeah, Ponyo is only Blu-ray and DVD, no Digital Copy. No worries about that, I made a digital copy off of my Japanese DVD.
Sorry, I was not clear enough:

Disney will have two SKUs for The Princess and The Frog:

Blu-ray Disc only with a retail price of $39.99 US

Blu-ray Disc/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack with a retail price of $44.99 US.

The actual price difference between the two releases in stores will be at most four bucks and I'm betting that during the first week, the difference will be $0-$1.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berting View Post
And let's just pray it's only staying on the Bourne Trilogy.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Default Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Packs Cheaper?

Was just at Wal-Mart today and was looking at some of the cheaper blu-rays...

im a big Arnold fan so was looking at Commando and Running Man (these are both $9.99 titles at Future Shop and BB, but $14.83 at Wal-Mart)

then i saw a rack of Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Packs for only $10 each. I picked up Commando and Planet of the Apes for $20 combined, but it would have cost $30 to get them each as a standalone blu-ray.

is there any reason these combos are cheaper or is it just an oversight in the pricing. I really wont be using the DVD and would prefer the blu-ray cases over the DVD ones, but hey, i saved $10! at least i can watch either movie on my laptop now.

both of the blu-rays have the same extras (next to nothing lol) in the combo and by themselves so nothing missing there. the DVDs are both missing the extras however. Perhaps if I was to point this out to a clerk they would give me the $10 price on the blu-ray... but i was just wondering if there was any known reason for the price difference or if anyone has had a similar experience...
Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Banned

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
Was just at Wal-Mart today and was looking at some of the cheaper blu-rays...

im a big Arnold fan so was looking at Commando and Running Man (these are both $9.99 titles at Future Shop and BB, but $14.83 at Wal-Mart)

then i saw a rack of Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Packs for only $10 each. I picked up Commando and Planet of the Apes for $20 combined, but it would have cost $30 to get them each as a standalone blu-ray.

is there any reason these combos are cheaper or is it just an oversight in the pricing. I really wont be using the DVD and would prefer the blu-ray cases over the DVD ones, but hey, i saved $10! at least i can watch either movie on my laptop now.

both of the blu-rays have the same extras (next to nothing lol) in the combo and by themselves so nothing missing there. the DVDs are both missing the extras however. Perhaps if I was to point this out to a clerk they would give me the $10 price on the blu-ray... but i was just wondering if there was any known reason for the price difference or if anyone has had a similar experience...
probably because there packaged with dvd's
Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

I think they're just trying to lure people into the next format who are on the fence. Having these options could entice some.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

makes sense about bringing people over who are on the fence...

but it just seems odd that you pay $4 more to NOT get a copy of the movie on DVD
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
Default Are Blu-ray/DVD Combi packs really useless or a good idea? (NA)

I don't know if this has been asked anywhere else before, but I haven't seen a thread, so I guess it's alright.

So are they good or bad, for me I think it souly depends on the movie and audience it is being targeted at. But also you have to remember that not everyone still has a BD player so the DVD copy does mean you can watch in about 75% of the places you visit, wether it be holiday, friends house, car, kids' room...

Two good examples on for and against it are these two:-

For
Disney/Pixar Movies - I think in this case these the combi packs are a great idea, because most families would only be able to afford one BD player. So if you watch say Snow White as a family you'd watch on the big screen in Hi-Def, but if the kids want to watch it in their room before they go to bed for example they can watch the DVD.

Against
Avatar - This really is just pointless on the whole, because Cameron and Fox keep saying how they want the best PQ an AQ on their release, yet they through in a DVD, why? Because in this case it is not the same scenario as Disney movies, as Avatar is for an older audience and needs to be seen on a big screen and wouldn't be watch in a car, bedroom or really anywhere else.

So what is your take on Blu-ray/DVD combi packs, are they useful or a waste of time where the DVD should be left for the DVD consumers?

(Oh and I have set up 2 threads for this, one for NA and one UK, just so I can get two different views as I couldn't find a forum page to accomodate of countries).

Last edited by Jezza; 04-14-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I'm for them. I prefer BDs for their quality and extras, but I still can't use them in every player I own (namely, my laptop and PC only have DVD drives ). So having a spare DVD for my favorite movies will help me watch them on the go in the laptop (digital copies would be fine too, but they take up memory and I really hate the way these files are protected). Come to think of it, having the DVDs may also allow me to lend out one copy and keep another for myself just in case something happens (or in case I want to see that same film).

I imagine that the combo packs are helpful for others, especially folks who have families, so their kids can have a copy of a movie for their rooms while the parents retain a second copy. It would also help consumers who still don't know whether or not they want to invest in BDs; they can just get a combo pack and future-proof themselves.

I say, go for it.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

I think it's stupid especially if done like how Universal has been doing them lately. But really though don't see a need for the dvd and just becomes a wasted disc. I say just give an option of Blu-ray disc only or dvd copy included and/or digital copy.

Of course if I have one like say my Ponyo release, i'm not going to ever use the dvd but to me it's like oh whatever as long as I can enjoy the Blu-ray.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Alabama

Personally, I like them. I bought combo packs atleast a year before I ever had any intention of buying a Blu-ray player. I also like the added security, unless Blu-ray players go way down to $50, if my player breaks I won't be able to just go out and get another one, so then any Blu-ray movie I have will be unwatchable and that's where a DVD copy is helpful.

I say give me combo packs, get rid of the digital copy discs. now THOSE are a waste of a disc. I don't use my digital copies, mainly because I don't have anything to play them on, but even then I'd never watch them on a small ipod/phone/whatever screen. Digital copies should be just that, digital, a slip of paper in the case that directs you to a website with a code to enter. No need for the disc.

I think they should get go exclusively with combo packs and stop releasing all these seperate Blu-ray and DVD releases then they'd save a lot of money on packaging resources. Even if they didn't do combo packs exclusively, just doing them in general would most likely make more people buy the Blu-ray copies because most people nowadays know they'll upgrade to Blu-ray eventually, so then they'll have movies already and still be able to watch them before they get a Blu-ray player.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
I think they should get go exclusively with combo packs and stop releasing all these seperate Blu-ray and DVD releases then they'd save a lot of money on packaging resources.
The only real probably with that idea is what happens with TV boxsets that contain possibly 6 BD discs, which means they would have to double that to add the DVDs, so that's 12 discs.

But for movies yes, because if the reduced the price enough on BD, consumers would buy them as future proofing, so once 90% of consumers have gone Blu they could stop them.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Special Member

Jan 2010
Smile

I agree with Kevin and Clone Trooper because it will save money.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America