Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Critters Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.47
1 hr ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #2001
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Can anyone confirm in The Rescuers Down Under was sourced digitally for the Blu-ray? It was the first CAPS film, but from the review screenshots it looks like there is grain. I don't dislike grain, but I was hoping the sequel would be sourced from the original files, if available, much like the other 90's Disney films on Blu-ray.
You just read my mind.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #2002
Expert Member

Oct 2009
U.K

Quote:
Can anyone confirm in The Rescuers Down Under was sourced digitally for the Blu-ray? It was the first CAPS film, but from the review screenshots it looks like there is grain. I don't dislike grain, but I was hoping the sequel would be sourced from the original files, if available, much like the other 90's Disney films on Blu-ray.
It was CAPS, but the source is film.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #2003
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
It was CAPS, but the source is film.
Again?

Well, guess I dial down my excitement for the release, because I've been waiting for a digital-to-digital transfer for the movie since they began using the tech for DVD over 12 years ago.

I have to say, though, those screen grabs for RDU look stunning compared to the last "Gold Collection" DVD from 1999 or so.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 08-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #2004
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

I don't know what to make of the Rescuers Down Under. It's clean but there's definitely something in the picture.. It doesn't look like grain like we're used to it. Maybe it's digital grain?

It's definitely much better than the old DVd and I didn't notice problems like aliasing or scratches etc..
Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #2005

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I don't know what to make of the Rescuers Down Under. It's clean but there's definitely something in the picture.. It doesn't look like grain like we're used to it. Maybe it's digital grain?

It's definitely much better than the old DVd and I didn't notice problems like aliasing or scratches etc..
yeah I agree with you - it's not as crisp but still looks great
Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #2006
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
USA

Is it at all possible that since this was the first CAPS film, and up until then they had never relied on digital masters, that Disney discarded and no longer has the digital files?

You would think it would be easier to source from the digital file than to scan film. I would like to beleive there was a reason behind the choice rather than assuming they were being "lazy."
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #2007
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Is it at all possible that since this was the first CAPS film, and up until then they had never relied on digital masters, that Disney discarded and no longer has the digital files?

You would think it would be easier to source from the digital file than to scan film. I would like to beleive there was a reason behind the choice rather than assuming they were being "lazy."
I don't think Disney is "lazy" (hardly) but the good people are given a budget and they have to make do with what they're given. Frankly, I don't know how expensive it is to source a new Blu-Ray from 22-year-old CAPS files, re-color-time it, etc., but I imagine money - not sloth - would be the reason for not returning to digital source for the film (if that is indeed what has happened).
Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #2008
Special Member

Nov 2009
UK

Using decade old extras is not lazy, not at all.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #2009
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

I have to say that, based on these reviews, I'm very satisfied with the treatment Disney has given to these titles. Sure the bonus material is scarce in all of them but as long as they give me quality transfers and good sound, I can overlook that. I'm very happy with the results for Pocahontas, The Aristocats, The Rescuers Down Under and especially The Rescuers which had a horrible (and I mean HORRIBLE) DVD transfer and now has a very good upgrade. I can't wait for them to arrive on Tuesday!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #2010
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Ok, I just read the reviews and I'm pleased with the scores Ken Brown gave the films. The only thing I disagree with is the rating for Pocahontas which is a personal favorite but aside from that they seem to be very worthwhile releases. Even Aristocats which was the center of controversy a while back has "stunning" picture, so everything is good.
Same here. I adore Pocahontas and remember when it was shown in Central Park during its premiere.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #2011
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:

Yeah but from where did they create the film master? And some CG models I checked did not show aliasing which means they had them re-rendered.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #2012

Feb 2011

So I've been watching the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection recently and while I know they're a different vintage, it still pains me to see how much grain has been taken out of The Aristocats. And unlike other Disney "restorations", the image looks way too soft. I have to strongly disagree with the 5 star rating; it looks more like a 3 or 2.5 just from those screen caps (and I find screen caps to be GREAT indicators of how the image will look in motion on my TV).

I have to say though, The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under both look really good. The Rescuers looks like it has some good grain and sharpness considering it's age (really glad they didn't blast it with DNR or used it judiciously). Down Under definitely looks like it's been print sourced as opposed to a digital source but, aside from the colors being a bit dull, it also looks darn good. Glad I used the $8 off coupon from Amazon a while back; now if they'd price match Best Buy everything will be gravy.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #2013
Power Member

Apr 2008

Overall I feel the quality has definitely taken a turn for the worse lately. Rescuers Down Under is clearly not a digital-to-digital transfer. The Rescuers is far from a Lowry restoration, in fact it seems fairly untouched, which would have been fine by me but it doesn't look like a particularly recent scan. The Aristocats look like they tried to do emulate the Lowry look but without doing the higher quality 4K scan beforehand hence the blurriness. Even the digital movies like Tarzan and Home on the Range seem to have been dumped straight from whatever HD master they had, complete with existing artifacts.

Most of them aren't bad, just not very impressive. Pocahontas is the only title that really seems to fully live up to the expectations and potential.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #2014
Power Member

Nov 2009
USA

Animation should not have grain. Cheap film scans without restoration produce grain. Almost makes me want to skip these releases because I do not want to support Fox and the Hound type releases.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #2015
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

I definitely prefer The Rescuers' restoration in comparison to the Aristocats. the minute i watched it I thought "if Aristocats looked like this, it would be perfect". No need to cry foul over that one. It's the sequel that's gotten me upset. How long should we wait for a digital transfer?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2016
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
Animation should not have grain. Cheap film scans without restoration produce grain. Almost makes me want to skip these releases because I do not want to support Fox and the Hound type releases.
All older movies have grain unless you have a digital transfer, you can't help it, of course you don't want it to be distracting, but I would much rather have a little bit of grain than have them mess with painting over details while trying to clean up movies to look like they're brand new.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #2017

Nov 2009
Southern Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
All of these will be available for $22.99 at Best Buy and I'm going to assume that this price will work for both DVD and Blu-Ray packaging.

We also get $10 off when we buy 2 of them so I'd say that's a pretty good deal
Amazon also has the "Buy 2 Get $10 off" deal. I just saw it on the Rescuers Amazon page. It's the same 6 movies shown on the slip cover mentioned earlier. I wonder if you can get this deal if you've already pre-ordered with the $8 off coupons.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #2018
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I definitely prefer The Rescuers' restoration in comparison to the Aristocats. the minute i watched it I thought "if Aristocats looked like this, it would be perfect". No need to cry foul over that one. It's the sequel that's gotten me upset. How long should we wait for a digital transfer?
Unfortunately, I fear it will be a very very long wait.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #2019
Power Member

Nov 2009
USA

This is where we disagree. I LOVE how Disney restored all of the classics - this latest batch that has had little to no effort spent on them are true disappointments....when the artists drew the frames there was not grain. Grain is not a part of animation - it is an issue that was added due to the film medium. Not desired but residual due to no choice (in the past) now that they can eliminate it, they should. Please remember this statement is directed towards animation only and not films in general. I do respect a light detail grain in most films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
All older movies have grain unless you have a digital transfer, you can't help it, of course you don't want it to be distracting, but I would much rather have a little bit of grain than have them mess with painting over details while trying to clean up movies to look like they're brand new.

Last edited by hedliniv; 08-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2020
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
Of course animated films have grain -- those shot on actual film, that is. Grain gives life and density to static backgrounds, for instance. The original look of Bambi, in particular, is a perfect example of how grain added to classic animation.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America