Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$20.89

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Victor Crowley (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Electronics Deals

Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California
Amazon Harmony 650 Remote for $52.99

For those of you who missed out on the BBY Harmony 700 deal, here's another good one for the 650. It's on Amazon for $52.99 w/ free shipping.

Honestly, I don't know how you can keep your sanity if you have an AVR system without one of these remotes, plus they're a breeze to program.

LINK

Old 02-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

Jul 2015

I've never owned a Harmony remote. Is this a good one to start out with? will it control things like the Amazon firestick? Thanks
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Angle View Post
I've never owned a Harmony remote. Is this a good one to start out with? will it control things like the Amazon firestick? Thanks
I'm not certain for that particular device, but I believe their website has a device compatibility section. To work this device, you'll need a computer to download the software, then you hook up the Harmony to your computer. It will go through a series of questions through its Wizard setup and configure your remote to control your devices (I can't remember how many, but I think it's either 6 or eight devices). The thing that makes these remotes so invaluable is that it simplifies how you watch TV. It will turn on your devices in the proper sequence or inversely turn them off in proper sequence. You not only can control your individual devices through the remote, but you can press a button for an activity like to watch TV or watch a movie or turn on your Xbox, etc.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

If you do not want to pull your hair out from line of site issues, and having to click help 100x a day, I recommend you wait for this to go back on sale for $70, like it was Monday ( I have owned both of these)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...&skuId=8574049

Happens at least once every other month, or you can grab a refurb model off of groupon with a coupon for $60 or so like me. (Once a week for that)

Better since it uses IR so no line of site issues, and you can connect from most smartphones and tablets via Harmony App.

Only downside is no screen on the remote, but you get a way better experience IMO.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett9 View Post
If you do not want to pull your hair out from line of site issues, and having to click help 100x a day, I recommend you wait for this to go back on sale for $70, like it was Monday ( I have owned both of these)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...&skuId=8574049

Happens at least once every other month, or you can grab a refurb model off of groupon with a coupon for $60 or so like me. (Once a week for that)

Better since it uses IR so no line of site issues, and you can connect from most smartphones and tablets via Harmony App.

Only downside is no screen on the remote, but you get a way better experience IMO.

What sort? As it is, I think my room has a Verizon cable box, my HDTV, my Blu-Ray player...and the room's pretty small. What sort of range and operation angle does it need?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMann View Post
What sort? As it is, I think my room has a Verizon cable box, my HDTV, my Blu-Ray player...and the room's pretty small. What sort of range and operation angle does it need?
By line of site I mean for instance if you are trying to turn the TV on for cable, it needs to be able to see the tv, the cable box, and the sound system (if you have one) head on when you point it at TV and you need to hold the remote up for several seconds. (and I have nothing walled off or in a cabinet, 90% of the time I was within 5-7 feet of my system)

The $70 one I was suggesting you can have it in your pocket or under a blanket and it will work no matter what. and you can click it once and just do other stuff in mean time while it all boots up.

Also while most people push off the smartphone tablet app at first (like me) you end up using it alot more since you can set up a favorite channel list for cable tv and just it the channel icon for it to switch and have it programmed to the HD channels so you don't have to go hunting for them or remember the HD channel #s.

Some official cable boxes auto switch to HD, mine does not sadly since I use a cable card and a samsung box I personally bought so that I would only have to pay $4 rental fee for the card vs, a $15 one for their box. But with my new remote I don't really care plus it plays media from my USB which is a plus for home videos and pics

---
The one nice thing about 650 is that you can key over into device specific remote to get at functions not on the main keys and access them via the screen interface, you can do the same with the $70 system, but you need to use a smartphone or tablet to get that interface you cant do it via the given remote.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Most remotes that come with your equipment require line of sight to operate, so if that doesn't bother you, the 650 / 700 Harmony will work just like your other OE remotes. I think having the color screen on the remote is a big deal, because you can program your favorite channels and have the network logos displayed on your remote screen instead of memorizing channels. I know my favorite channels by heart, but my wife and daughter don't, so it's a no-brainer when you have network icons displayed on the screen to access their favorite channels. The macros (activities like turning on your TV and AV equipment in the proper sequence) are incredibly convenient and easy to set up with the Harmony software. My wife swears by this remote and she isn't tech savvy at all. Again, you also have complete control and functionality of all of your AV equipment in one remote by selecting the device on the remote's screen you want to access as well as activity macros.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Electronics Deals