Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00
5 hrs ago
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
5 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
4 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
5 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$48.74
1 hr ago
My Bloody Valentine (Blu-ray)
$27.86
4 hrs ago
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Blu-ray)
$6.00
3 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Electronics Deals

Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2012
In and out of a lot of places. So glad I stream now.
Default Vudu Spark

Saw Vudu spark Walmart for 24.96 with a $20 Vudu credit that's spread over 4 months so $5 a month.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkash View Post
Saw Vudu spark Walmart for 24.96 with a $20 Vudu credit that's spread over 4 months so $5 a month.
i'll be the 1st idiot and ask what that is? a subscription service like Hulu Plus or Netflix? Not a movie that I could find.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2010
Florida

I would also like to know how to spark Walmart.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
-

Yes, I have no idea what this is.

I guess I could Google it, but I think I'll just wait here until someone posts.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Just found out ...
The Vudu Spark, an upcoming stick from Walmart, takes the opposite tack: Instead of offering hundreds of streaming options, it offers only one and does it really, really well. The Vudu Spark is a streaming stick that plays Vudu, and nothing but.
What we do know is what the Spark does, how it works and who's responsible for it. The Vudu Spark connects to a user's Wi-Fi network, prompts him or her to sign into a Vudu account (or create one) and functions via a remote control (which uses Zigbee RF, a smarthome wireless protocol, rather than Wi-Fi, for whatever reason).

For those not familiar with Vudu, it's an -la-carte streaming service, owned by Walmart, that allows users to buy or rent TV and movies in SD or HD formats. It's a decent choice in a crowded market, but there's otherwise not really much to it.

It's also not clear why a user would select a Vudu Spark rather than a Chromecast or a Roku, both of which support the Vudu service perfectly well. Perhaps if the Vudu Spark turns out to be extremely cheap -- it would have to be less than $20, as a Chromecast is only $35 -- and the customer doesn't own a smartphone or computer reliable enough to power a Chromecast, then the Vudu Spark might be a reasonable alternative.

Otherwise, while Vudu is a pretty good service, buying a stick with no other channels seems like a tough sell.
What we do know is what the Spark does, how it works and who's responsible for it. The Vudu Spark connects to a user's Wi-Fi network, prompts him or her to sign into a Vudu account (or create one) and functions via a remote control (which uses Zigbee RF, a smarthome wireless protocol, rather than Wi-Fi, for whatever reason).

For those not familiar with Vudu, it's an -la-carte streaming service, owned by Walmart, that allows users to buy or rent TV and movies in SD or HD formats. It's a decent choice in a crowded market, but there's otherwise not really much to it.

It's also not clear why a user would select a Vudu Spark rather than a Chromecast or a Roku, both of which support the Vudu service perfectly well. Perhaps if the Vudu Spark turns out to be extremely cheap -- it would have to be less than $20, as a Chromecast is only $35 -- and the customer doesn't own a smartphone or computer reliable enough to power a Chromecast, then the Vudu Spark might be a reasonable alternative.

Otherwise, while Vudu is a pretty good service, buying a stick with no other channels seems like a tough sell.

with all the Smart TVs and BD players with all kinds of services, it sounds like Walmart is trying to get the confused public to buy more junk they don't need and may never figure out how to use. I'll stick with selecting it from my TV menu without spending another $25 for this.
Thanks given by:
michaeljoo (12-20-2014), oly (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #6

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlinmeyer View Post
i'll be the 1st idiot and ask what that is? a subscription service like Hulu Plus or Netflix? Not a movie that I could find.
Vudu is a streaming service operating on a rental/purchase model, and a major Ultraviolet compatible retailer.The Spark is a stand alone device for non-smart TVs, that does nothing but Vudu. There is really no reason for this thing to exist except for someone trying to save a buck by not getting a Roku or other multi purpose device.

http://www.vudu.com/spark.html
Thanks given by:
RBBrittain (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

Jun 2014
Portland, OR

No thanks, love my Roku too much. Snagged an Amazon stick when they were $20 and that little thing rocks too.
Thanks given by:
solovoyager (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlinmeyer View Post

That shouldn't be an issue. With Chromecast, you only need a device & app that supports casting and can open the movie (even in SD); Vudu supports that from PC browsers and both iOS & Android apps. Except for screen mirroring (not used by Vudu), the stream goes directly to the Chromecast, not your device; once it casts, your device merely controls the Chromecast over your Wi-Fi network. Unless you don't have another device to control a Chromecast, it should do everything a Vudu Spark can, and more. (Same for a Roku Streaming Stick, except it doesn't need another device.)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Banned

Nov 2013
-
-
-
-

Just wondering, what's the point in having a Roku/Chromecast/Fire stick if you own a gaming console? Is it worth getting one if you own a PS4?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

This seems a little pointless. Better to have a stick with multiple apps than just one
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

this sounds exactly like the Vudu app that I have on my TV for free lol
Thanks given by:
Adam_WM (12-19-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecrackker View Post
Just wondering, what's the point in having a Roku/Chromecast/Fire stick if you own a gaming console? Is it worth getting one if you own a PS4?
With one of those you won't have to fire up your higher-wattage PS4 (or in my case, PS3) just to stream movies. They also offer streaming options not found on gaming consoles, especially Wii & Wii U (which don't have Vudu apps like PS3, PS4, X360 & Xbone).
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
this sounds exactly like the Vudu app that I have on my TV for free lol
Me too, but not everyone has a smart TV.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
Me too, but not everyone has a smart TV.
Yeah, some of us are stuck with those old dumb TVs that are like, only good for watching TV and stuff.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

May 2011
Parts Unknown - because I blabbed about Mars!
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkash View Post
The credit essentially makes the Spark a $5 purchase, which is really what it should be priced at IMO. Not a bad deal, honestly.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #16

Sep 2011
Boise, ID, USA

Quote:
I bought one when it was introduced at $19.99 for Prime members, and here is what made the decision for me:

Benefits of Amazon FireStick (Chromecast would fit this list as well as far as I know ... although I've never used one)

1. Extremely low power usage
2. Far less chance of a hardware failure (flash memory/small logic board vs power supply/dust collection/hard drive/large logic board)
3. Way more portable (take it to school, work, on vacation, etc. ... your subscriptions follow you)
4. Amazon Prime Music access (as far as I know based on zero research this is the only way to get access to this service through a direct TV connection). This was the primary decision point for me.

I have it plugged into my a/v system through a front aux HDMI connection. Works well, no boot up time, horrible remote. Pretty pleased and imagine it'll get better over time. Wish it had HBO Go and Starz Play, but I'll forgive them for that.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Depends I guess.

In my case, I just bought a PS4 and moved my Roku 3 to the bedroom. I had my PS3 in the bedroom and moved that to the living room as well. To be honest, I kind of miss using my Roku 3 for streaming.

I don't like using the PS4 because it does not have a remote control. I do not like using the gaming controller.

My PS3 does have a remote control, so I primarily use it for my streaming purposes while in the living room. But, it is kind of slow when navigating the menus of streaming apps in comparison to the Roku 3.

But the primary reason that I miss my Roku 3 is that the PS4 and PS3 are missing some of the apps that I enjoyed on my Roku 3. Primarily, I miss the PBS app.

I am kind of tempted to buy a Roku stick for the living room now but I also want a PSTV box at some point for the bedroom. I am just waiting for it to drop further in price and for some of the kinks to get worked out of it (not being able to use a PS4 controller being the main one). If I do pick up a PSTV box I will probably sell the Roku 3 and buy a Roku stick.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Buffalo NY

Can anyone that has bought this please tell me if it has subtitles available?

I currently use my Sony blu-Ray player but the subtitles have never worked on it and I would gladly pay for this if it did. I would prefer to use Vudu for my uv collection and with the credit it is a no brainer for me if it has subtitles....
Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Buffalo NY

Can anyone help with the question above?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

May 2011
Parts Unknown - because I blabbed about Mars!
-
-

I honestly don't know if the Spark has subtitles, but VUDU on the Roku 3 definitely does. I assume it's a software feature, and I also assume it's dependent on the movie. Your Sony Blu-Ray player is probably running an outdated version of VUDU. Sadly, a lot of these devices fall through the cracks and don't get updated. I don't see that being an issue with VUDU's own device, however. But I can't say for sure. Only way to know is to buy one. It's Walmart, so you could probably return it if it doesn't have subs.
Thanks given by:
hedliniv (12-20-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Electronics Deals