Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Shazam! (iTunes)
$9.99

Shazam / Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.98

Blade Runner 2049 (iTunes)
$7.99

Fever Pitch (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Aviator (iTunes)
$4.99

Black Mass (iTunes)
$4.99

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford (iTunes)
$4.99

A Beautiful Mind (iTunes)
$4.99

Hacksaw Ridge (iTunes)
$4.99

Mad Max: Fury Road (iTunes)
$7.99

Holmes & Watson / Step Brothers / Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (iTunes)
$19.99

Amadeus (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2008
Default Same movie, different quality on different services

I recently bought UHD codes for the Burton-Schumacher Batman films (at a GREAT price from Ninjakyon ) because I wanted to see the new 4K restorations since reviews and screenshots show there's a difference even on my 1080p system. The weird thing is that all my services connected to my MoviesAnywhere say I have the 4K version but only Google Play has the new versions. Now, I don't mean to rage against the non-Goggle services but has anyone noticed this as well with any other movies other than 89 Batman?

Side note (note: I only watched the shootout at AXIS Chemicals the preceded Joker's introduction): While I'm not a huge fan of some of the color temperature changes in the 1989 Batman, I don't mind them too horribly and they do seem to fit the tone and design of the film. The sound effects didn't sound too different. I'll reply again if my opinion changes after a whole viewing but for now, I'm cautiously ok with it. The details and contrast are way better, in any case.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #2

Mar 2012

confused by what you mean by "new" . if you redeemed or bought the UHD version, its the same version on all services. I know there are some quality differences between services but it should still be the new 4K version across all.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2008

It's not. I know what the color on the new 4K versions look and, except for Google, the streamers look like the 2013 Blu-rays.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
It's not. I know what the color on the new 4K versions look and, except for Google, the streamers look like the 2013 Blu-rays.
Vudu, Fandango, MA and itunes all have the new 4K versions and all play in 4K. GP is the only one i cannot watch in 4k since i dont have a device that will work for it , but all the others definitely play them in their new 4K versions. is your device capable of streaming 4K from those services on other titles or is it just batman?

Last edited by kannibaliztik; 10-21-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Your initial post is not clear. But after reading a few times I understand this:
You only have an HD (1080p) system (i.e. TV) and are streaming the movies
You obtained the Batman 4K movies, with the purpose of obtaining the new scan from the 4K versions (and so in some cases, the HD "1080p" version also gets a new version scan (not always the case, but I think it was the case with these Batman movies)

If that is the case, then usually movies like the Batman movies (being MA) should port the new HD scan through, but not always. Sometimes the older HD scan is retained in one or more services despite getting the new 4K version, sometimes the new HD scan gets added (sometimes added even when you did not redeem/purchase the 4K version with a new HD scan).
Thanks given by:
jbloggs (10-22-2019), sea2000 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2008

My mistake. Yes, I only have a 1080p setup. I just thought the 1080p version would be remastered or 4K downscaled. I'm just mostly surprise some services have the new versions and others dont.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Here's what I meant. Both were screenshot on my non 4K laptop (not even set at 1080p). They look the same playing through the same service on Roku. See how, even though neither has be playing on a 4K system, Google has the new transfer.

My question was if anyone noticed the same phenomenon on any other movies.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
Here's what I meant. Both were screenshot on my non 4K laptop (not even set at 1080p). They look the same playing through the same service on Roku. See how, even though neither has be playing on a 4K system, Google has the new transfer.

My question was if anyone noticed the same phenomenon on any other movies.

Similar....but not "the same"
I have "gripes" with Vudu, and I left them know about it too.

One of my "favorite" (it's like how do you pick your favorite child?) John Wayne movies is "Hondo". I have the blu-ray, and I play the heck out of it. It's actually one of the "few" Paramount/Warner dual releases you can "disc-to-digital" which is what I did.

What I "got" was a 4:3 normal screen SD release "upconverted" to HDX. I guess I "shouldn't" complain cause it's "only 2 bucks"....but I did. I "expected" the HDX copy to "mirror" the BD disc....which IS in 16:9 format, way better color and well.....beautiful scenery. Upcon SD to HDX is like lipstick on a pig....and keeping the 4:3 format....the Vudu print looks like a "syndicated" TV movie of the week....while the disc looks pristine. LSS, Vudu "refuses" to refund/credit me $2. I filed a complaint in June, they closed it in July. That same month, iTunes had a "double-bundle" of both "Hondo" & "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" for $9.99. The iTunes version of Hondo......widescreen......16:9......pristine..... ....nearly an exact duplicate of the BD version.

So NOW October rolls around, scary movies and horror themes abound right. Vudu offers the Vincent Price/Poe classic "Tomb of Ligeia".....strangely, they are the ONLY digital retailer to offer this title. MGM, so its NOT a MA title. Again they want $4.99 for HDX, sounds reasonable right. Again, I have the title on BD disc.....twice actually. VP vol II from Scream/Shout Factory and its also on a collection of VP movies on region-free discs issued in Australia (which I bought as an alternative to the OOP VP Vol I from Scream/Shout).

Nearly the SAME issue on Vudu as I had with Hondo, a 4:3 transfer, looked to be a "TV print" of the film, both copies I have on BD disc are in HD with 16:9 ratio again with excellent color. Vudu's copy, faded, worn, reduced to a SD upcon to HDX. I immediately complained, referenced the SAME previous issue with Hondo. Voiced my extreme displeasure and demanded my $5 refunded and "Tomb Of Ligeia" removed. They complied the following day.

But NOW I'm extra cautious, I found a ton of SIMILAR titles also featuring Vincent Price....ONLY available on the Vudu service...with no "preview" available to "judge" before I buy. Of course in BOTH cases Vudu advertises these in SD & HDX and even with "Hondo" their HDX says "widescreen" even though its not.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

At this point, I would say that Vudu is the lowest quality, just in terms of offering the most, the earliest, and so having the most scans/transfers as detailed above: older scans, that are probably the broadcast version, that have the wrong aspect ratio and/or upconverted and presented as an "HD" version.

Often you can view these same movies ported via MA (and formally UV) to other services, and those other services have the proper scan/version in place in their system (so FandangoNow, MA, Amazon, iTunes, all seem to have the better/correct version in most cases).

The case if differing scans when it comes to a new 4K/HDR scan that then gets a new HD version replacing the previous HD version: yes it happens (so yes I've noticed it), and yes it can still vary from service to service, with Vudu sometimes getting the new scans, but as I detail above, having too many movies that need correction, and so not really getting everything changed quickly or at all.
Thanks given by:
sea2000 (10-29-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies