Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Hitman's Bodyguard 4K (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Explorers (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$20.99
8 hrs ago
The Blob (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$16.19
1 hr ago
The [REC] Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
7 hrs ago
Smokey and the Bandit 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
The Hand (Blu-ray)
$19.79
4 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.59
2 hrs ago
Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #1

Mar 2016
Default No video with OPPO BDP-83 and recent Arrow blu-rays

I am experiencing some issues with playback of Arrow blu-rays on my old, reliable BDP-83. I am only experiencing this issue with recently published Arrow titles.

What is happening is that the copyright disclaimer plays normally, the Arrow logo plays normally, and then the main video stream goes black. I can see the menu elements and hear audio, but there is no video. When playing the main feature or bonus features, I can hear audio, I can see subtitles and see the the player's menu overlays, but there is no video. If I start playback from a saved position, then instead of the video being black, I see the player's logo screen. It is as if the video stream is being dropped or ignored going into the overlay mixer.

I only see this on recent Arrow titles. The discs appear to be physically fine, and work fine on other players. I originally noticed this on "Warning from Space" (and posted about it in the thread), but I am also seeing it on "Switchblade Sisters" and "Giants & Toys." I don't see this issue on older Arrow releases.

I am running the latest official OPPO firmware. I have tried resetting the player to factory default settings and clearing the persistent storage. I have turned off all video processing, and reset the output to "Source Direct".

So, my questions are these. Does anybody have a workaround for playing newer Arrow titles on older OPPO hardware, and if so, what is it? And does anybody know if Arrow is using some newer encoding or playback profile that may be incompatible with my device?

Thank you for your help and feedback.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Are you running a region mod? are the BDs from your own region? have you tried playing the discs with the component or composite cables?

When the screen is blank does the OSD display when you press the remote (if it does what does it say)? there' no issues with other discs?

Are you straight into your display or an AVR?
Old 05-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #3

Mar 2016

The player does have a region mod. The player is currently set for Region A. The discs are US-released Arrow titles labeled as Region A. Just to test it, I switched the player to Region B and put in "Switchblade Sisters". The disc loaded, but just as before, there was no video.

I do not have straight component cables to test with, but I did test with composite cables and I got the same result. Audio, menu items, player OSD, and no video.

The player's OSD is working, and I get the menu prompts for things like disc information, subtitle settings, play/pause button indicators.

I do not have this problem with any other discs. The issue is unique to Arrow blu-ray titles.

The player is usually connected directly to the TV using an HDMI cable.

I checked a few more titles to see if I could isolate the problem.

(In release order)
One Missed Call Trilogy: All disks work
The Mad Fox (Arrow Academy): Works
Black Test Car + The Black Report: Does not work

It definitely seems as though Arrow changed something in their authoring last summer. I have not been able to play any Arrow titles since their Black Test Car release. I have a few more titles I could try, although they are premium box sets that I am not yet ready to unseal.

EDIT: I didn't answer one of your questions. I used the "info" OSD on the remote to see what the player thinks of the disk. It says AVC video profile, but only 1.2 Mbps data rate, so it's clearly not pulling up any video data from the disk, only audio and subtitles.

Last edited by Alastor; 05-18-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

Nov 2010
Charlottesville VA

I know a BDP 83 user over on Quadraphonicquad.com has reported some music BDs won't play on his 83 while they do on other decks. It seems those players may be getting so long in the tooth that some newer discs won't play- and given their age and the fact that Oppo no longer manufactures anything, it's unlikely they'll get a firmware upgrade that would fix the issue.

Good that you have other players to use.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Have you tried contacting OPPO? unfortunately the last firmware update was in 2014. The UHD players had one in 2019.

Like JWgrayhawk posted, you may just have to use a second player.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

There is nothing you can do as Chip75 says, this player was the very first Oppo BD player and its not the first example of something that didn't play on it. It was released to the public back in June 30, 2009. Mediatek has abandoned support of the SoC involved many years ago.

As others suggested, I would just acquire another player to play content that doesn't work because of some BDJava issue.

IF you have some electrical/mechanical issue OOPO can still service it.

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=1
Thanks given by:
chip75 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #7

Mar 2016

Thank you all for the replies.

That is what I was afraid of. I've been ready to pick up something new with 4k support for a long time now, but the BDP-83 has been a reliable workhorse for so long I've been able to put that off until now. I wish I had grabbed a UDP-203 or Cambridge CXUHD back when they were still in production.

I'll jump over to the recommend hardware thread and see what new deck people can point me to.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

Nov 2014
Milano, Italy

Have same problem with Eureka releases: I can see the menus, I can play some extras but main contents are just a black screen with audio. Must change my beloved Oppo...
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Thank you all for the replies.

That is what I was afraid of. I've been ready to pick up something new with 4k support for a long time now, but the BDP-83 has been a reliable workhorse for so long I've been able to put that off until now. I wish I had grabbed a UDP-203 or Cambridge CXUHD back when they were still in production.

I'll jump over to the recommend hardware thread and see what new deck people can point me to.
Have you listened to it playing SACD?
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #10

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
Have you listened to it playing SACD?
I don't think I own any SACD to try.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders