Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
$39.99
9 hrs ago
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (Switch)
$39.99

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Switch)
$49.99

NBA 2K21 (Switch)
$49.95

Balan Wonderworld (Switch)
$29.99
1 day ago
Borderlands Legendary Collection (Switch)
$19.99
1 day ago
XCOM 2 Collection (Switch)
$14.99
1 day ago
PGA Tour 2K21 (Switch)
$19.99

Subnautica + Subnautica: Below Zero (Switch)
$49.94

New Pokémon Snap (Switch)
$59.18

Hellpoint (Switch)
$24.99

Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (Switch)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 06-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #9901
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It’s a tough one to call until they make it official we don’t really know how much of a performance difference it will have.

The Handhelds for example were constantly updated, the DS to DSi saw improved hardware spec and similar with the 3DS to the new3DS. They even had some games that wouldn’t work on the older versions so we could see that with the new Switch.

Home consoles had redesigns too but I’m not sure if they did anything other than change the design up. We had the new design NES and the SNES

The Wii also had 2 redesigns first losing the GameCube support and controller ports and then the Wii Mini.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #9902

Oct 2019
Manchester, England

Sorry, if this is the wrong place to post this but I had a Tetris 99 question. Couldn't see a T99 thread or an answer to this anywhere else.

I've been playing Tetris 99 since December but today I've ordered the physical version so I can play it offline too. Does anyone know if I put the card in my Switch, will I lose all my current progress with the game or will it just add the other modes to it?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #9903
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
It’s a tough one to call until they make it official we don’t really know how much of a performance difference it will have.

The Handhelds for example were constantly updated, the DS to DSi saw improved hardware spec and similar with the 3DS to the new3DS. They even had some games that wouldn’t work on the older versions so we could see that with the new Switch.

Home consoles had redesigns too but I’m not sure if they did anything other than change the design up. We had the new design NES and the SNES

The Wii also had 2 redesigns first losing the GameCube support and controller ports and then the Wii Mini.
No Nintendo home console “improved” the performance or resolution. They did change the look of the consoles late yes & made accessory tweaks which didn’t do very well & some took away features as you mentioned like the Wii.

Wii U wasn’t a Wii.

So it’ll be interesting seeing if Nintendo “repeats” the Switch design, name etc for their 9th gen system. “The New Switch”
Old 06-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #9904
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Please hold off, Nintendo. You're about to repeat Wii U's mistake of expensive/clunky new hardware sinking the current lineup.
0% chance the Switch Pro ends up the Wii U.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #9905
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I'm not buying another piece of Nintendo hardware until they get their software issues straightened out.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #9906
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanchestergamer View Post
Sorry, if this is the wrong place to post this but I had a Tetris 99 question. Couldn't see a T99 thread or an answer to this anywhere else.

I've been playing Tetris 99 since December but today I've ordered the physical version so I can play it offline too. Does anyone know if I put the card in my Switch, will I lose all my current progress with the game or will it just add the other modes to it?

Thanks in advance
Your progress is saved for the game, digital or physical won't matter.
Thanks given by:
themanchestergamer (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #9907
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
No Nintendo home console “improved” the performance or resolution. They did change the look of the consoles late yes & made accessory tweaks which didn’t do very well & some took away features as you mentioned like the Wii.

Wii U wasn’t a Wii.

So it’ll be interesting seeing if Nintendo “repeats” the Switch design, name etc for their 9th gen system. “The New Switch”
Is the Switch even a home console? It can be connected to a TV, but you can pick it up and take it anywhere you see fit and continue playing. Wii U had similarities, but the Wii U GamePad had to be within a certain distance from the actual home console, which had to be, at the very least, connected to a power source. If you really wanted to manage the logistics, I'm sure you could've stuffed a Wii U in your carryon and found an outlet on a plane to keep playing. That wouldn't be very practical, whereas the ability to use it basically anywhere is the intended way to play NS.

It seems inevitable Nintendo will upgrade the Switch, and it definitely appears to be the path they used for handheld devices. 3DS had the less capable sibling 2DS, just like Switch has the less capable sibling Switch Lite. The next step is the improved model.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #9908
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I'm not buying another piece of Nintendo hardware until they get their software issues straightened out.
Same, done with Nintendo for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #9909

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Same, done with Nintendo for the foreseeable future.
What Software issues did you experience? I have my switch since late 2017 and had none issues so far, none regarding software, none regarding hardware. Worked perfectly and literally thousands of hours so far. But I only play docked and with a ProController.

I had way more issues with my PS5 so far; nothing mayor, but once a week I have to restart the console, because it just had frozen and lost any contact to the controller or games are crashing. Not often, but each game I played on it so far crashed at least once. Never happened to me with a Switch Game so far. Not once.

Last edited by mep; 06-09-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #9910
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
What Software issues did you experience? I have my switch since late 2017 and had none issues so far, none regarding software, none regarding hardware. Worked perfectly and literally thousands of hours so far. But I only play docked and with a ProController.

I had way more issues with my PS5 so far; nothing mayor, but once a week I have to restart the console, because it just had frozen and lost any contact to the controller or games are crashing. Not often, but each game I played on it so far crashed at least once. Never happened to me with a Switch Game so far. Not once.
Nintendo needs to drastically expand their 1st party output. They are nowhere near prolific enough and they don't have enough 3rd party support to supplement it. They've done a fair job of masking it on Switch with all of their Wii and Wii U ports but if you take all those away and ONLY look at the games that were made ground up for Switch, the Switch library is kind of crap. Yes there are some gems here and there but it's way too few and far between.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (06-09-2021), mep (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #9911
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:

Steelmaker summed it up for me.
Thanks given by:
mep (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 05:23 PM   #9912

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Nintendo needs to drastically expand their 1st party output. They are nowhere near prolific enough and they don't have enough 3rd party support to supplement it. They've done a fair job of masking it on Switch with all of their Wii and Wii U ports but if you take all those away and ONLY look at the games that were made ground up for Switch, the Switch library is kind of crap. Yes there are some gems here and there but it's way too few and far between.
Ah, OK. So it’s kind of a personal quality issue. I had not really a Wii U, therefor I‘m fine with ports and I literally had a ‚new‘ Nintendo Game almost each month. I bought the Switch only for Mario Odyssey, personally I didn’t expect to use it as much as I did in the last four years. For me the output is fine. I would also be OK with much more ports, especially former 3DS titles. And hopefully more backcatalog titles besides the Online Subscription Service. After the N64 I personally never had a Nintendo System again, because I always went with Sony and I thought for the longest time, one gaming system would be enough. But Odyssey just looked so, so good. Had to buy the Switch. And personally I‘m now using the Switch way more than my PS5...
Old 06-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #9913
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Ah, OK. So it’s kind of a personal quality issue. I had not really a Wii U, therefor I‘m fine with ports and I literally had a ‚new‘ Nintendo Game almost each month. I bought the Switch only for Mario Odyssey, personally I didn’t expect to use it as much as I did in the last four years. For me the output is fine. I would also be OK with much more ports, especially former 3DS titles. And hopefully more backcatalog titles besides the Online Subscription Service. After the N64 I personally never had a Nintendo System again, because I always went with Sony and I thought for the longest time, one gaming system would be enough. But Odyssey just looked so, so good. Had to buy the Switch. And personally I‘m now using the Switch way more than my PS5...
I'm just concerned that now all the Wii and Wii U ports are drying up, how is Nintendo going to be able to maintain any kind of cadence of releases at an acceptable pace? It's bad enough already. Is it going to be like the Wii U days again where it's maybe one new game a year? I can't deal with that.

Another thing I would like to see Nintendo do is start investing in NEW IP's again and ones that don't involve some goofy, gimmicky concept like Arms. How about a new adventure game NOT named Zelda? How about a new RPG? What about a new platformer starring a brand new character? Anything for Christ's sake!

And finally, I wish they would come off of their wallets a little and make more bigger budget games. I'm expecting Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 to be showpieces for the Switch Pro. But beyond those what else are we going to get? Another mediocre Kirby side scroller? Another mediocre Yoshi game? Another mediocre Mario Party? I want more consistency with the quality of their releases. Not 5 low budget, glorified 3DS games for every 1 true AAA game.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (06-10-2021), mep (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #9914

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
I'm just concerned that now all the Wii and Wii U ports are drying up, how is Nintendo going to be able to maintain any kind of cadence of releases at an acceptable pace? It's bad enough already. Is it going to be like the Wii U days again where it's maybe one new game a year? I can't deal with that.

Another thing I would like to see Nintendo do is start investing in NEW IP's again and ones that don't involve some goofy, gimmicky concept like Arms. How about a new adventure game NOT named Zelda? How about a new RPG? What about a new platformer starring a brand new character? Anything for Christ's sake!

And finally, I wish they would come off of their wallets a little and make more bigger budget games. I'm expecting Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 to be showpieces for the Switch Pro. But beyond those what else are we going to get? Another mediocre Kirby side scroller? Another mediocre Yoshi game? Another mediocre Mario Party? I want more consistency with the quality of their releases. Not 5 low budget, glorified 3DS games for every 1 true AAA game.
Fair enough. To me Nintendo is actually putting out way more interesting new titles as I expected. And it’s way more steady than Sony. For me personal there is maybe one or two Sony exclusive titles I‘m interested in a year. But I‘m easy to please; I even enjoyed the last Yoshi Game. In a way maybe even more, than I enjoyed Death Stranding...
Old 06-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #9915
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Fair enough. To me Nintendo is actually putting out way more interesting new titles as I expected. And it’s way more steady than Sony. For me personal there is maybe one or two Sony exclusive titles I‘m interested in a year. But I‘m easy to please; I even enjoyed the last Yoshi Game. In a way maybe even more, than I enjoyed Death Stranding...
You have GOT to be joking!
Old 06-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #9916
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

Nintendo has put out more 1st/2nd Party games since 2017 than Sony. Even if you exclude ports/remasters. They easily are the highest volume output of the big three because they have to be. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.

They also have done several new IPs in the last few years and are allegedly working on a few more currently. Xenoblade 2 and Bravely Default 2 were great entries in the anthology RPG series like a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

Two or three Switch games would probably rank in my Top 15 games of all time and I’ve clocked over 1,000 hours on my Switch so I have more than gotten my money’s worth this gen. Could they do better still though? Oh absolutely yes. Breath of the Wild 2 taking 5 years when the engine and most of the assets were already built is excessive. They definitely need to improve efficiency.

Last edited by Diesel; 06-10-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
mep (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #9917
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Nintendo is actually putting out way more interesting new titles as I expected.

Where?
All they are doing is porting over Wii U games and I already own and played those years ago, except for a sprinkle of 1 new game here and there.
It's actually worse than on Wii U.
In fact on Wii U Nintendo first party was totally fine and awesome.
On Switch even the lazy ports get updates, which is ridiculous.
The controllers are also crap and they can't be bothered to fix the drift issues. Iwata would be ashamed if he was still alive.

Right now they even broke update downloads. 2123-1502
At least phone support was briefed and didn't tell me to change DNS and oter crap on my end.

Switch Nintendo is worst Nintendo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Nintendo has put out more 1st/2nd Party games since 2017 than Sony. Even if you exclude ports/remasters.
Sony is also laughable, I'm glad I never got a PS4. I mean on PS3 people got 3 Uncharted games, on PS4 there was 1 and a half.
Doesn't excuse the performance of Nintendo. Remember: They filled Wii U with exclusives WHILE they also had 3DS going and supported that one too. Now they dropped both of these and their output is way worse than before, their quality also went downhill. They obviously don't give a shit anymore about QA.

Last edited by jimidini; 06-11-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #9918
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Seeing lots of rumours about a new Mario Rabbids game. First one was pretty fun.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #9919
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

M + R didn’t grab me at all, I think I only beat World 1, and didn’t have the motivation to continue
Old 06-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #9920
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

I actually thought it was enjoyable. I'd play a second one for the typical Ubisoft $19.99.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Tags
nintendo, switch™