Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Hoop Dreams (Blu-ray)
£9.99
8 hrs ago
The Ring Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99

4K Ultra HD: 4 Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99
6 hrs ago
He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
£39.99

In the Line of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99
6 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£59.99
1 hr ago
Police Academy: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
£12.99
1 day ago
Brain Dead (Blu-ray)
£9.99
3 hrs ago
The Complete Sartana (Blu-ray)
£19.99

The Krays (Blu-ray)
£23.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.40

Wonder Woman 1984 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #1681
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drush9999 View Post
I remember that, must have been 1990 or so, because it was great seeing it before T2 came out the following year.
Yep, it was about then.
From the old version of Terminator I had recorded this looked like 4k
Old 06-09-2021, 10:04 PM   #1682

Aug 2018

There's a longer version of the Moviedrome intro to Terminator that includes the continuity announcement before it and that mentions that the screening is edited for television. Even BBC2 considered it a bit much to show uncut back in those heady days. Moviedrome was a bit unpredictable like that - some stuff got through uncut, some didn't. I remember Rumblefish was intact, but Brazil had its single use of the f-word removed.

I also remember when BBC1 had a policy of pretty much no f-words at all at any time unless they were showing something really acclaimed - only two I remember off the top of my head were One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Network. First film I remember seeing when they revised their policy wasn't some critically-lauded thriller, it was Face/Off screening around 2000. Shortly afterwards they showed Planes, Trains and Automobiles with a warning in the Radio Times that it contained a scene previously edited for extensive use of strong language!

In general, the BBC were less likely to use US network TV versions than ITV, which were always ghastly as in addition to the editing, they were NTSC-PAL conversions.

Have a look at some of the old BBC Film Club intros on YouTube - they showed stuff in the 80s like Blood Simple and Heaven's Gate with the host announcing strong language and violence.

But aye, remarkable that even the trashiest film showing post-watershed these days is most likely to be uncut on network TV, let alone that they show stuff like The Exorcist, A Clockwork Orange and Texas Chain Saw Massacre without anyone blinking an eye. I also tend to agree that pre-watershed material tends to be more edited than it used to be. Kinda like the BBFC erring on the side of caution these days by slapping a 12 on most things that would be a hard PG back in the 80s.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:41 AM   #1683
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Meteor View Post
The BBC2 screening of DAWN OF THE DEAD in Feb 2000 was the Cannes version (which had recently been released to UK DVD with small cuts) but a lot of the gore was missing, presumbly in line with the older BBFC cuts to the theatrical version.
I seem to recall hearing at the time that there were viewer compaints about the volume of cuts and the BBC admitted they mistakenly screen an overly cut version and intended to screen it uncut or as near as.

Bravo (defunct cable channel) did screen it uncut a short time later.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #1684
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail74 View Post
I also remember when BBC1 had a policy of pretty much no f-words at all at any time unless they were showing something really acclaimed - only two I remember off the top of my head were One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Network. First film I remember seeing when they revised their policy wasn't some critically-lauded thriller, it was Face/Off screening around 2000. Shortly afterwards they showed Planes, Trains and Automobiles with a warning in the Radio Times that it contained a scene previously edited for extensive use of strong language!
First film I remember on BBC1 with f-words intact was Patriot Games, screened circa 1997. At first, I thought they made a mistake. But then other films followed signalling a change in policy.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #1685
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
First film I remember on BBC1 with f-words intact was Patriot Games, screened circa 1997. At first, I thought they made a mistake. But then other films followed signalling a change in policy.
I think that was the same year when they showed 48 hours in all it's f - word glory as well. I always thought cutting films was silly. However ITV were just as bad I remember films like Lethal Weapon 1-3, Predator 2 and Alien 3 getting cut to peices as well.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #1686
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2014
Glasgow

I remember seeing the Terminator in its unedited version (probably on moviedrome) and the TV version within the same year.

The hotel room scene had Arnie just looking over his shoulder at the door and then back to the note book when the cleaner is banging on it asking if there's a dead cat in there.

My recollection is that ITV were much worse than BBC for dubbing and editing things.

I believe ITV still uses this weird strobing effect that they've employed for the past 10 years or so to sort of muddle the intensity of certain shots if they are broadcasting before or near the watershed.

Last edited by Martoto; 06-10-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Thanks given by:
Agent Kay (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #1687

Sep 2013

I remember watching the premiere of Seven on BBC1 and it was cut to shreds! All bad language was removed, rendering a scene in which Morgan Freeman says something about Brad Pitt expressing his anger (as he says F you in the uncut version) incomprehensible! The film was ruined.

I also recall watching that aforementioned Sunday afternoon showing of Beverly Hills Cop on BBC1. I recall enjoying that though as I was oblivious to cuts at that young age.

Lethal Weapon was shown in a weird TV version on ITV in the late 90s or early 00s and was rendered completely worthless. I can vividly recall an utterance of "Flipping hell!" and also "I'm too old for this stuff!"
Old 06-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #1688

Nov 2007

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57419263

Well how's that working out for ya'?

People are using more strong language in everyday life. No shit Sherlock!

Parents don't want age ratings weakened on dvd's etc. Well diddums, I think you'll find that the kids will know some 'rude words' that mummy and daddy may not have heard.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #1689
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

Quote:
There's a longer version of the Moviedrome intro to Terminator that includes the continuity announcement before it and that mentions that the screening is edited for television. Even BBC2 considered it a bit much to show uncut back in those heady days. Moviedrome was a bit unpredictable like that - some stuff got through uncut, some didn't. I remember Rumblefish was intact, but Brazil had its single use of the f-word removed.

BBC2 Moviedrome & Closedown 1990 - YouTube

In general, the BBC were less likely to use US network TV versions than ITV, which were always ghastly as in addition to the editing, they were NTSC-PAL conversions.

Have a look at some of the old BBC Film Club intros on YouTube - they showed stuff in the 80s like Blood Simple and Heaven's Gate with the host announcing strong language and violence.

But aye, remarkable that even the trashiest film showing post-watershed these days is most likely to be uncut on network TV, let alone that they show stuff like The Exorcist, A Clockwork Orange and Texas Chain Saw Massacre without anyone blinking an eye. I also tend to agree that pre-watershed material tends to be more edited than it used to be. Kinda like the BBFC erring on the side of caution these days by slapping a 12 on most things that would be a hard PG back in the 80s.
I remember it uncut for some reason
Old 06-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #1690

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSBOY View Post
Parents don't want age ratings weakened on dvd's etc. Well diddums, I think you'll find that the kids will know some 'rude words' that mummy and daddy may not have heard.
This is something I never get. Do some people get amnesia when they have children? The place I encountered with consistently the most bad language used was my secondary school. A grammar school in a fairly well off area, so you'd think it would have had a higher than average number of sheltered kids. Sure, you don't want much swearing in U and PG rated stuff, but secondary school age kids have heard it all already. If parents are actually doing the parenting thing and teaching their kids good (or at least situationally appropriate) manners, what do they think their kids need protecting from?

What really gets me is this quote:

Quote:
The BBFC also said it would treat acronyms such as "WTF" as though the full swear words had been spelt out, because the meaning was so widely recognised.
This is utterly ridiculous. Maybe they should start classifying words like "frick" higher, because we all know what's really intended /s

Last edited by Silanda; 06-10-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #1691

Nov 2007

Big
Bunch
F×××××g
C×××s

I know, but I'm bored.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #1692
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2014
Glasgow

I think the BBFC has a thankless task in trying to gauge the public mood and tastes, while satisfying their role in informing parents. It's not their fault that parents allow their kids unsupervised access to youtube and social media, which employ almost no ratings. You can bet thought that those same parents would complain about the BBFC not properly informing them if they classified the same content as suitable on the basis that parents do not complain to their mobile phone, internet provider or social media platform about it.

Let's be honest. If parents can't reasonably find someone else to blame for their inadequate parenting, then that parenting becomes perfectly adequate. And nobody has any right to tell them differently.

Last edited by Martoto; 06-11-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #1693
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

I'm so jaded I never notice if someone swears (unless in anger). But I find people more and more being "polite" in the workplace and avoiding it. My first post Uni proper job in the late 90s, it was an f word inserted at least 3 or 4 times per sentence, someone kept a spreadsheet of the number of swears per person per day, I was pleased to come second one month. So I find it strange if we supposedly swear more nowadays.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #1694
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012

Quote:

s.
That's reminded me of the first time they showed The Deer Hunter and made a big fuss of how they allowed two F-words to remain in the film. The bit where a drunk De Niro encounters the soldier at the bar and asks him about Vietnam. I can't remember what else was cut, I was safe with my Thorn EMI ex-rental copy. Which I still have and still has THE best cover for the movie.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #1695
Expert Member

Nov 2013
Japan

As a parent, I love what the bbfc do but let me explain. I grew up through the video nasty era and all the outrage and hysterics. It practically drove me to horror. My dad borrowed a vcr from work and a bunch of bootleg tapes doing the rounds including The Evil Dead. I fell in love with The Beyond et al and I remember showing my mum gory stills in Fangoria and explaining how they were ridiculously censored from tapes (yes, it was okay to see them in a mag but not in the movie). My house is now of course full of movies and books on the subject and my 10year old loves watching movies but something happens as a parent. It's not about shielding them from the world, or pretending language and violence doesn't exist or even that sex and violence can be entertaining in a movie. For me it's about setting good moral standards and trying to be a responsible parent. I want them to enjoy the movies and share the experience with the kids.

Even with my broad tastes and enormous library, I can easily forget specific content that isn't ideal. I would rather my kids didn't swear and they know that it's the refuge of the inarticulate so I'm the worst offender here, but they are not scandalised when they hear it. What I love about the bbfc is they place helpful guidelines beside their cert; really helpful for parents that are simply looking for guidance on whether the child is ready for the movie. 15 is such a broad category so it can be a struggle to match the movie with the child. My 10 year old watches the Universal movies but also Jaws and Lake Placid and Piranha. Kung fu movies like Iron Monkey are viable because of the "fantastic" setting but similarly categorised films like John Wick are not. It comes down to their movie education and taking continual feedback about their interpretation of what they just watched.

The irony is that while I like bbfc ratings because they help me pick movies that are appropriate, I live in Ireland so our own ratings have to go on top of the uk ones, usually as stickers. The hilarious issue is they cover over the content guideline on the bbfc label so I can't often determine the reason for the rating.

They've come a long way from the censorious days that encouraged me to collect import tapes for extra seconds of Seagal or gore. And while I still loathe censorship of adult material generally I do value descriptive classification.

Last edited by Eibon; 06-10-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (06-10-2021), CelestialAgent (06-10-2021), eddyw78 (06-11-2021), LeftHandedGuitarist (06-10-2021), Martoto (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:12 AM   #1696
Expert Member

Mar 2011

The BBFC are a joke. Their job is to classify films, instead they make money by meddling in the editing to help studios cut their films down to lower ratings, so British viewers have to watch censored crap.

Who dictates what those ratings are? The BBFC.

Do the BBFC ever ask the public whether we want censored crap? No. Such things are conveniently left out of their ‘public surveys’.

Slap a certificate on a film then get the hell out. Instead they live up to their original name - the British Board of Film Censorship.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #1697
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
The BBFC are a joke. Their job is to classify films, instead they make money by meddling in the editing to help studios cut their films down to lower ratings, so British viewers have to watch censored crap.

Who dictates what those ratings are? The BBFC.

Do the BBFC ever ask the public whether we want censored crap? No. Such things are conveniently left out of their ‘public surveys’.

Slap a certificate on a film then get the hell out. Instead they live up to their original name - the British Board of Film Censorship.
Well sometimes the studio already have a rating that they want they will then ask what they would have to cut to get said rating. If you look at say Taken 3 I think it was a 12 right. Chances are it was Fox who wanted a 12 rating slapped on it to make more money.
Thanks given by:
Martoto (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #1698
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz View Post
Well sometimes the studio already have a rating that they want they will then ask what they would have to cut to get said rating. If you look at say Taken 3 I think it was a 12 right. Chances are it was Fox who wanted a 12 rating slapped on it to make more money.
Yes but my point is that the BBFC:
a) set the criteria for what content is allowed in what rating, and
b) offer a service, for money, where they tell the studio what to cut.

Whereas in France, say, the equivalent body doesn’t - they slap a certificate on the film and that’s the end of it. No meddling, no cuts.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #1699
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2014
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
Yes but my point is that the BBFC:
a) set the criteria for what content is allowed in what rating, and
b) offer a service, for money, where they tell the studio what to cut.

Whereas in France, say, the equivalent body doesn’t - they slap a certificate on the film and that’s the end of it. No meddling, no cuts.
The criteria are guidelines which the distributors can adhere to in order to get their desired rating. Or they can just submit it as they like and await the review to determine if anything needs cut. It's not just a box ticking or quota meeting exercise.

For international (english language) releases, France probably gets movies that are almost always already cut (or not) in order to obtain their desired MPAA and/or BBFC rating. So there's no need to request cuts.

BBFC rating is something that 99% of the time the distributors, if not the director, actually wants.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (06-11-2021), Eibon (06-11-2021), Geoff D (06-12-2021), Gizz (06-11-2021), LeftHandedGuitarist (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #1700

Aug 2018

French ratings are also generally much more lenient. Lots of blockbuster commercial stuff that would be 12 or 15 here get the equivalent of a U over there, so there aren't many circumstances where cutting a film there would increase its commercial viability.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland