Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50
58 min ago
Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$74.94

The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
The Revenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
6 hrs ago
Annabelle Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$70.97
1 day ago
Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$32.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #2741

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIWilson View Post
I've always loved this trailer myself. The first time I saw it was for the advertising of ST6. It was included in the collection of previews on the initial VHS release of Godfather III in 91. Excellent trailer.
I think there is a very similar trailer on the opening of the VHS that uses the imagery here but adds on the bits from the Next Generation. I will try and find on YouTube, my vhs is in a box in the garage somewhere I think ��

Edit: it doesn't use the montage across the Enterprise my mistake, but still cool ��

Last edited by david_blu; 06-10-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #2742
Expert Member

Sep 2020
Canada

The trailer that always sticks in my mind is the one on North American Trek tapes circa 1997/98 with clips from TOS/TNG/DS9 and the movies played to Ride of the Valkyries. I must have seen that hundreds of times.

Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (06-11-2021), david_blu (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #2743

Jul 2011

I have never seen that one before, it may not appeared on UK vhs but fun nonetheless 😀
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #2744
Expert Member

Sep 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_blu View Post
I have never seen that one before, it may not appeared on UK vhs but fun nonetheless 😀
Yes, I'm thinking it was probably just North American tapes
Old 06-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #2745
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattmanAlpha View Post
A bit before that even. The first article I saw where Shatner talked about Paramount shutting him down came right on the heels of the DC of TMP. He tried to capitalize on that momentum and quoted them a budget somewhere around $400,000 (I think).
Give it to him. I want a DC of that.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #2746
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
Give it to him. I want a DC of that.
Are you coughing up the $400 grand?

BTW: that was 20 years ago now, and for SD, so double that figure since they would be doing it for 4K (and inflation).
Old 06-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #2747
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

I remember that very well because after the release of Star Trek the motion picture director's Edition they announced in at least one Star Trek or science-fiction magazine the forthcoming 2 disc DVD sets and the advertisement said "with director's cuts if the director wishes" -- obviously not an exact quote but definitely an indication that there might be more director's Cuts coming if the director was interested in doing so. Then of course what did we get the director's edition of Star Trek II officially released for the first time. At that point Shatner went in to Paramount and requested a modest budget for upgraded special effects and re-editing the movie. They said no to the special effects and then he requested and even more modest budget for simply re-editing the movie and they said no. And from the way he was quoted afterward he was pretty pissed off. I don't blame him after he had been their lead actor in a cash cow franchise for 35 years at that point.
And how completely disingenuous of the studio to say that there would be forthcoming director's Cuts if the director wished it and then completely shutting down Shatner when he requested it. And then after that they allowed Nicholas Meyer probably a very very tiny budget to Tinker with the Undiscovered Country for the second time.
I think most would agree that Star Trek 5 needed more of a facelift then Star Trek 6 did.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (06-11-2021), Hasslein Curve (06-11-2021), JohnCarpenterLives (06-10-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (06-11-2021), natori (06-10-2021), Panama Jack (06-10-2021), RegressiveScan (06-10-2021), Spasmo (06-10-2021), SpazeBlue (06-10-2021), The Fallen Deity (06-12-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #2748
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
Yep yep and yep. I only became a Trek convert in the past few years and got all the blus. Watched tos and went to the films box...and immediately was like what happened? I actually stopped before watching TMP and found an awesome lot with minty letterbox LD copies of 1-5 (already had 6) and watched them that way a week or so later with original audio and enjoyed the heck out of it. Then last year I found the big se dvd box with the TNG films included for $5.

The problem with the blus is that they used the masters for the redone dvd reissue and that’s where the color/sound tomfoolery happened. They seemed to have them hit them with extra DNR and such for the jump to hd. A lot of these later dvd era “remastered restored” transfers did all kinds of damage and were made all the more obvious when they were recycled for HD release. (cough Lowry Bond titles cough) Add in the remixed sound and I think they’re unwatchable.
The lbx LDs are great for LD, the first DVDs are pretty good for early dvd, the se DVDs are good and then you get to this master...
The lone exception is the remaster of Khan.

Audio wise it’s LD all the way on 1-5. I’ve already said TMP sounds incredible in spite of not having discrete audio. 2-4 really show their lower budget origins in their sound mixes but each improves upon the last and I prefer having the original audio in any case. 5 is a big leap forward sonically and the LD replicates that beautifully and yes does kick the butt of later releases. 6 was the Dolby digital test film and thus the later discrete releases have the edge-but the matrix LD audio is a very good sounding old school sound demo disc and is what everyone else would have heard on the theatrical release.
I don't have the room/ernergy/money to figure out how to enjoy LD with my setup. In terms of PQ are the DVDs as good as the LDs you are referring to? If so...which ST: Original Motion Picture Series dvd set is worth getting?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #2749
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

What I think is very strange is the fact that virtually every Star Trek movie after the motion picture used stock special-effects footage of the Enterprise. And plenty of the shots in Star Trek 5 could have simply used shots from the previous movies instead of the atrocious work that ended up on the screen. So if Shatner has been allowed to re-edit the movie without using any new special effects he could have at least swiped from shots from previous movies and made the movie look a little bit better than it did.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #2750

Nov 2012
Santiago, Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
That Amazon.it link is still working for me… the title says, “4 Originals Film II: Wrath of Khan III: In Search of Spock + Star Trek IV: Return to Earth [4K Ultra HD].”

The release date is September 8, 2021. Interesting.
was the title in Italy "return to earth"?
Becaus in LATAM it was "Mission Save Earth (Misión Salvar la Tierra)" so it's also probable that on Italy it had another undertitle different from original one "The Voyage Home"
Old 06-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #2751
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Are you coughing up the $400 grand?

BTW: that was 20 years ago now, and for SD, so double that figure since they would be doing it for 4K (and inflation).
I said give it to him. I didn't say I'LL give it to him! Honestly doesn't seem like much for a studio. Stick that on 4k set if it happens and it would probably see a return on the investment.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #2752
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
They said no to the special effects and then he requested and even more modest budget for simply re-editing the movie and they said no. And from the way he was quoted afterward he was pretty pissed off. I don't blame him after he had been their lead actor in a cash cow franchise for 35 years at that point.
And how completely disingenuous of the studio to say that there would be forthcoming director's Cuts if the director wished it and then completely shutting down Shatner when he requested it.
Probably because Shatner was the reason the movie lost so much money. Not only was the story his concept - he spent money like there was no tomorrow on the desert location shoots and other things.

Paramount wasn't being disingenuous - they simply didn't trust him and no amount of editing would really change it. Having an actual rock monster wouldn't change the preceding 90 min beforehand.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #2753
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIWilson View Post
I've always loved this trailer myself. The first time I saw it was for the advertising of ST6. It was included in the collection of previews on the initial VHS release of Godfather III in 91. Excellent trailer.
Yep! That’s exactly where I saw it. I remember those gold VHS cassettes well. I’d wager you remember those ads before the movie with the couple who send to their dog to get the movie off the shelf so they can watch it? LOL “Now to get The Godfather, Part THREE”. Haha I’ve been trying to find those forever on YouTube and they seem to be lost to time.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #2754
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
I don't have the room/ernergy/money to figure out how to enjoy LD with my setup. In terms of PQ are the DVDs as good as the LDs you are referring to? If so...which ST: Original Motion Picture Series dvd set is worth getting?
Is it this one?

Or this one?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #2755
Expert Member

Jun 2011
SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Probably because Shatner was the reason the movie lost so much money. Not only was the story his concept - he spent money like there was no tomorrow on the desert location shoots and other things.

Paramount wasn't being disingenuous - they simply didn't trust him and no amount of editing would really change it. Having an actual rock monster wouldn't change the preceding 90 min beforehand.
They still should have let him do it. Okay, even though the general story was admittedly bleh, the special effects are bad, but that wasn't necessarily Shatner's fault due to the strike going on at the time.

Even so, some of the character moments with the big three in the film are among the best in the series. So if you could get those moments and better SFX and a new tighter edit, which would have provided a good marketing angle to generate some more interest in the title, then why not let him do it? The way Paramount seemingly always cheaped out on the classic Trek films except TWOK is so confusing to me. But alas...
Thanks given by:
Bolty (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #2756
Expert Member

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
What I think is very strange is the fact that virtually every Star Trek movie after the motion picture used stock special-effects footage of the Enterprise. And plenty of the shots in Star Trek 5 could have simply used shots from the previous movies instead of the atrocious work that ended up on the screen. So if Shatner has been allowed to re-edit the movie without using any new special effects he could have at least swiped from shots from previous movies and made the movie look a little bit better than it did.
I wrote a whole book chapter about precisely this for an edited collection on Trek!

I made the point that Trek V's "God" seems equally fascinated with ships: "Bring me the ship...I must have the ship! Now...Give me what I want!" feels like a giant in-joke to the film franchise's history and its near-fetishization of the Enterprise!!
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (06-11-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #2757
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
the special effects are bad, but that wasn't necessarily Shatner's fault due to the strike going on at the time.
The VFX were terrible because they hired a company based on the fact Producer Ralph Winter felt "ripped off" by ILM on IV (besides, the reality was that he was butthurt about the "Co-Produced by Industrial Light & Magic" credit at the end of IV and Explorers which he also produced). The old wives' tale of ILM being "too busy" was a lie.

Anyway, the producers had a "bake off" of VFX companies to show their "God" effect. After showing an innovative effect - Associates and Ferren ended up putting a guy in a column of light - which is what the producers didn't want in the first place...and why companies like Apogee and Boss Film lost out! They outsourced their motion control, because they didn't have experience with pre-built models like the Enterprise and Bird of Prey. It was just a cluster----. Needless to say they found the money for ILM for Undiscovered Country, even with the budget whittled to the bare minimum.
Thanks given by:
ShellBeacher (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #2758
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
I said give it to him. I didn't say I'LL give it to him! Honestly doesn't seem like much for a studio. Stick that on 4k set if it happens and it would probably see a return on the investment.
It would have to be on a set - but for all their whining and complaining, a LOT of TREK fans are tight fisted with the money. If they weren't - we'd have DS9 in HD already.

Gawd, you don't remember the squawking about having to pay $6 a month for CBS All Access to watch the new shows?
Old 06-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #2759

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark83 View Post
The other day when I was reciting Star Trek VI's dialogue, I noticed something during Valeris's questioning after she got caught in sickbay:

"Did you not wish Gorkon dead? Let them die you said."

Now, Kirk uttered "Let them die!" at the start of the film after the briefing, there were no recording devices in the room, so how would Valeris know he said that?
She was in the room.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #2760
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

No she wasn't. That was the aide-de-camp to the commander in chief of Starfleet

Last edited by Bolty; 06-10-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America