Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
15 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
16 hrs ago
They Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
1 day ago
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
15 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Gattaca 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.59
15 hrs ago
The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.60
14 hrs ago
Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
3 hrs ago
Smokey and the Bandit 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2021, 02:12 AM   #1241
Pyoko Pyoko is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Pyoko's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
151
722
Default

It's a shame, perhaps the added cost of doing separate encodes/authoring for international editions is a reason.

As for The Godfather it will likely not have burned-in subtitles because they went back to the original negatives for many of those sections for the 4K restoration, however the subtitles on the Blu-ray were styled so hopefully they'll do the same for the UHD release. If they were anything like the theatrical subtitles I don't know, but at least they look better than the usual generic ones.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
happydood (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #1242
happydood happydood is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
happydood's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Los Angeles
34
612
52
Default

I'm wondering if my player is faulty if it can't automatically pull up the subtitles on the intro without me manually turning them on. I have no problems on Close Encounters- another Sony title- it generates them automatically.

Edit: Well... weird. I know folks talk about their various players having occasional bugs and freezing and having to be rebooted. My new older model Sony has played everything I've thrown at it with no issue until now. And then I checked it again this morning and it played the subtitles properly. Dunno what gives but I'll give the disc a proper spin tonite, I reckon.

Last edited by happydood; 01-23-2021 at 04:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #1243
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
697
2016
5
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
It's a shame, perhaps the added cost of doing separate encodes/authoring for international editions is a reason.

As for The Godfather it will likely not have burned-in subtitles because they went back to the original negatives for many of those sections for the 4K restoration, however the subtitles on the Blu-ray were styled so hopefully they'll do the same for the UHD release. If they were anything like the theatrical subtitles I don't know, but at least they look better than the usual generic ones.
IIRC they scanned the original subtitle elements (in 6K) for the 4K resto of the Godfathers and for versions with burnt-in subs eg prints or DCPs then they composited them into the 1st gen image as you say. For the Blu then they used player generated ones, but styled to emulate those OG ones. So they're the proper subs but not the original optical, it demonstrates that Coppola's quest to redo the opticals in Godfather Coda isn't a new obsession of his. Forgot how good the numerous dissolves looked in the Godfathers, I don't know whether it had an A/B roll neg cut originally or Coppola had them redone for the restoration but they look naice regardless.

But yes, Sony have had this 'international disc' mindset since the BD days, DVD days even, they're one of the worst culprits for removing OG subs and replacing them with generic player generated stuff. They still remaster those scenes with the stylised subs included (though not like as described above, they don't often do digital rebuilds though the credits to Karate Kid come to mind), as proven by the streaming 4K version of Bram Stoker's, but they rarely use that version on disc. Universal also do this a lot, but at least Uni put the proper subs on the US version and leave the player generated ones for the international disc so we've got the option, whereas Sony will just press one disc for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
I'm wondering if my player is faulty if it can't automatically pull up the subtitles on the intro without me manually turning them on. I have no problems on Close Encounters- another Sony title- it generates them automatically.

Edit: Well... weird. I know folks talk about their various players having occasional bugs and freezing and having to be rebooted. My new older model Sony has played everything I've thrown at it with no issue until now. And then I checked it again this morning and it played the subtitles properly. Dunno what gives but I'll give the disc a proper spin tonite, I reckon.
Other folks have had these issues with Sony UHDs before, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, sometimes it just doesn't run the proper sub track. If you want to make sure they'll be activated before playing then I seem to remember that going into the audio options and clicking on the English audio (even if it's already highlighted by default) did the trick.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
happydood (01-24-2021), Pyoko (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #1244
happydood happydood is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
happydood's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Los Angeles
34
612
52
Default

Thank for the tip. Yeah, it played without a hitch last night, but I hope this doesn't crop up with other titles....
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:01 AM   #1245
Caniac11 Caniac11 is offline
New Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Don't know if this has been discussed here, but the pictures of the case all show a digital copy. Just got mine from Amazon, and it doesn't have a digital copy included. Re-examined the back covers that's available to see and sure enough, no mention of a digital copy included. Has anyone else had one included or is this normal? The info available here in the review definitely shows a digital copy on the front. Any suggestions? Not a deal breaker because I wanted the movie anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 AM   #1246
Brosef78 Brosef78 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac11 View Post
Don't know if this has been discussed here, but the pictures of the case all show a digital copy. Just got mine from Amazon, and it doesn't have a digital copy included. Re-examined the back covers that's available to see and sure enough, no mention of a digital copy included. Has anyone else had one included or is this normal? The info available here in the review definitely shows a digital copy on the front. Any suggestions? Not a deal breaker because I wanted the movie anyway.
It appears that Sony has been re-releasing 4K titles without the digital copy from initial pressings. I noticed it when I repurchased "The Bridge on the River Kwai" that had additional 2.0 audio track--that the cover didn't mention the digital copy that the initial pressing did, nor had a code.

Are there any other non-commentary English language tracks on your copy of "Dracula" other than the Dolby Atmos/Dolby 7.1 track? I wondered based on "Kwai" that Sony was going back to including original theatrical audio tracks to 4K discs that initially didn't have them, and if not advertising a digital copy on the cover meant a repressing to include such.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #1247
BluMonday BluMonday is online now
Senior Member
 
BluMonday's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
14
52
4
Default

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Gizz (06-11-2021), Humungus (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #1248
Agent Kay Agent Kay is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

I hate their stuff of late, but did watch this as it wasn't them shitting all over it
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #1249
Mierzwiak Mierzwiak is online now
Power Member
 
Mierzwiak's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
171
288
Default

It's 30th anniversary next year. So... Dolby Vision? New extras?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #1250
rexinnih rexinnih is offline
Expert Member
 
Apr 2008
Pacific NW
282
980
3
196
Default

That's what I'm counting on. Had the 4K with slipcover that I sold for good profit anticipating a new release down the road. If Sony can do it for Labyrinth, can justify Dolby Vision on this one also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #1251
JohnCarpenterLives JohnCarpenterLives is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
JohnCarpenterLives's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
64
806
403
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mierzwiak View Post
It's 30th anniversary next year. So... Dolby Vision? New extras?
...better framing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #1252
BluPat BluPat is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
BluPat's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Texas
67
1160
74
2
Default

Recently watched my 4K and it looks great to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #1253
Christian Muth Christian Muth is online now
Power Member
 
Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
...better framing?
Even in the Laserdisc days, there was controversy over the framing of this film on different releases. Columbia released their own LD at the same time as the big Criterion box set, but used their own master that was supervised by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, and it looked different and was framed differently (as I recall, brighter image and looser framing with more image on all sides) then the Criterion transfer which was supervised by Coppola's son.

Chris

Last edited by Christian Muth; 06-11-2021 at 12:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
happydood (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 PM   #1254
sfmarine sfmarine is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
sfmarine's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
9
249
1389
276
461
492
529
6
39
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mierzwiak View Post
It's 30th anniversary next year. So... Dolby Vision? New extras?
That would be awesome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #1255
BluMonday BluMonday is online now
Senior Member
 
BluMonday's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
14
52
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
I hate their stuff of late, but did watch this as it wasn't them shitting all over it
Their re:View segments donít shit all over the movies and are also less jokey. They tend to be about their favorite films, more seriously discussed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #1256
dallywhitty dallywhitty is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
dallywhitty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
The Macroverse
101
1210
188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonday View Post
Their re:View segments donít shit all over the movies and are also less jokey. They tend to be about their favorite films, more seriously discussed.
I dunno, dude. I'm still traumatised from their video on Blade Runner.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #1257
Agent Kay Agent Kay is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonday View Post
Their re:View segments donít shit all over the movies and are also less jokey. They tend to be about their favorite films, more seriously discussed.
It's not the jokes, it's their (Mike's) views on some things
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #1258
Agent Kay Agent Kay is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
...better framing?
Some things really do never die
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #1259
Gacivory Gacivory is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Gacivory's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
Los Angeles, California
271
1951
144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I dunno, dude. I'm still traumatised from their video on Blade Runner.
They hated Blade Runner? Monsters!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #1260
dvining dvining is online now
Power Member
 
dvining's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
56
893
174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
They hated Blade Runner? Monsters!
It's more like, they respect the technical aspects but don't get involved in the story.

So, they're pretty much monsters.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (06-11-2021), Geoff D (06-12-2021), Jason One (06-12-2021)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 PM.