Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
15 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
16 hrs ago
They Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
1 day ago
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
15 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Gattaca 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.59
15 hrs ago
The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.60
14 hrs ago
Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
3 hrs ago
Smokey and the Bandit 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-23-2021, 02:12 AM   #1241
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

It's a shame, perhaps the added cost of doing separate encodes/authoring for international editions is a reason.

As for The Godfather it will likely not have burned-in subtitles because they went back to the original negatives for many of those sections for the 4K restoration, however the subtitles on the Blu-ray were styled so hopefully they'll do the same for the UHD release. If they were anything like the theatrical subtitles I don't know, but at least they look better than the usual generic ones.
Thanks given by:
happydood (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #1242
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

I'm wondering if my player is faulty if it can't automatically pull up the subtitles on the intro without me manually turning them on. I have no problems on Close Encounters- another Sony title- it generates them automatically.

Edit: Well... weird. I know folks talk about their various players having occasional bugs and freezing and having to be rebooted. My new older model Sony has played everything I've thrown at it with no issue until now. And then I checked it again this morning and it played the subtitles properly. Dunno what gives but I'll give the disc a proper spin tonite, I reckon.

Last edited by happydood; 01-23-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #1243
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
It's a shame, perhaps the added cost of doing separate encodes/authoring for international editions is a reason.

As for The Godfather it will likely not have burned-in subtitles because they went back to the original negatives for many of those sections for the 4K restoration, however the subtitles on the Blu-ray were styled so hopefully they'll do the same for the UHD release. If they were anything like the theatrical subtitles I don't know, but at least they look better than the usual generic ones.
IIRC they scanned the original subtitle elements (in 6K) for the 4K resto of the Godfathers and for versions with burnt-in subs eg prints or DCPs then they composited them into the 1st gen image as you say. For the Blu then they used player generated ones, but styled to emulate those OG ones. So they're the proper subs but not the original optical, it demonstrates that Coppola's quest to redo the opticals in Godfather Coda isn't a new obsession of his. Forgot how good the numerous dissolves looked in the Godfathers, I don't know whether it had an A/B roll neg cut originally or Coppola had them redone for the restoration but they look naice regardless.

But yes, Sony have had this 'international disc' mindset since the BD days, DVD days even, they're one of the worst culprits for removing OG subs and replacing them with generic player generated stuff. They still remaster those scenes with the stylised subs included (though not like as described above, they don't often do digital rebuilds though the credits to Karate Kid come to mind), as proven by the streaming 4K version of Bram Stoker's, but they rarely use that version on disc. Universal also do this a lot, but at least Uni put the proper subs on the US version and leave the player generated ones for the international disc so we've got the option, whereas Sony will just press one disc for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
I'm wondering if my player is faulty if it can't automatically pull up the subtitles on the intro without me manually turning them on. I have no problems on Close Encounters- another Sony title- it generates them automatically.

Edit: Well... weird. I know folks talk about their various players having occasional bugs and freezing and having to be rebooted. My new older model Sony has played everything I've thrown at it with no issue until now. And then I checked it again this morning and it played the subtitles properly. Dunno what gives but I'll give the disc a proper spin tonite, I reckon.
Other folks have had these issues with Sony UHDs before, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, sometimes it just doesn't run the proper sub track. If you want to make sure they'll be activated before playing then I seem to remember that going into the audio options and clicking on the English audio (even if it's already highlighted by default) did the trick.
Thanks given by:
happydood (01-24-2021), Pyoko (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #1244
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Thank for the tip. Yeah, it played without a hitch last night, but I hope this doesn't crop up with other titles....
Old 02-27-2021, 02:01 AM   #1245

Jun 2020

Don't know if this has been discussed here, but the pictures of the case all show a digital copy. Just got mine from Amazon, and it doesn't have a digital copy included. Re-examined the back covers that's available to see and sure enough, no mention of a digital copy included. Has anyone else had one included or is this normal? The info available here in the review definitely shows a digital copy on the front. Any suggestions? Not a deal breaker because I wanted the movie anyway.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 AM   #1246

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac11 View Post
Don't know if this has been discussed here, but the pictures of the case all show a digital copy. Just got mine from Amazon, and it doesn't have a digital copy included. Re-examined the back covers that's available to see and sure enough, no mention of a digital copy included. Has anyone else had one included or is this normal? The info available here in the review definitely shows a digital copy on the front. Any suggestions? Not a deal breaker because I wanted the movie anyway.
It appears that Sony has been re-releasing 4K titles without the digital copy from initial pressings. I noticed it when I repurchased "The Bridge on the River Kwai" that had additional 2.0 audio track--that the cover didn't mention the digital copy that the initial pressing did, nor had a code.

Are there any other non-commentary English language tracks on your copy of "Dracula" other than the Dolby Atmos/Dolby 7.1 track? I wondered based on "Kwai" that Sony was going back to including original theatrical audio tracks to 4K discs that initially didn't have them, and if not advertising a digital copy on the cover meant a repressing to include such.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #1247

Nov 2011

Thanks given by:
Gizz (06-11-2021), Humungus (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #1248
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

I hate their stuff of late, but did watch this as it wasn't them shitting all over it
Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #1249
Power Member

Feb 2015

It's 30th anniversary next year. So... Dolby Vision? New extras?
Old 06-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #1250
Expert Member

Apr 2008
Pacific NW

That's what I'm counting on. Had the 4K with slipcover that I sold for good profit anticipating a new release down the road. If Sony can do it for Labyrinth, can justify Dolby Vision on this one also.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #1251
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mierzwiak View Post
...better framing?
Old 06-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #1252
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Texas

Recently watched my 4K and it looks great to me.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #1253
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
...better framing?
Even in the Laserdisc days, there was controversy over the framing of this film on different releases. Columbia released their own LD at the same time as the big Criterion box set, but used their own master that was supervised by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, and it looked different and was framed differently (as I recall, brighter image and looser framing with more image on all sides) then the Criterion transfer which was supervised by Coppola's son.

Chris

Last edited by Christian Muth; 06-11-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
happydood (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 PM   #1254
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mierzwiak View Post
That would be awesome!
Old 06-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #1255

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
I hate their stuff of late, but did watch this as it wasn't them shitting all over it
Their re:View segments donít shit all over the movies and are also less jokey. They tend to be about their favorite films, more seriously discussed.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #1256
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
The Macroverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonday View Post
Their re:View segments donít shit all over the movies and are also less jokey. They tend to be about their favorite films, more seriously discussed.
I dunno, dude. I'm still traumatised from their video on Blade Runner.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #1257
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonday View Post
It's not the jokes, it's their (Mike's) views on some things
Old 06-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #1258
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
...better framing?
Some things really do never die
Old 06-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #1259
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2016
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I dunno, dude. I'm still traumatised from their video on Blade Runner.
They hated Blade Runner? Monsters!
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #1260
Power Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
They hated Blade Runner? Monsters!
It's more like, they respect the technical aspects but don't get involved in the story.

So, they're pretty much monsters.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (06-11-2021), Geoff D (06-12-2021), Jason One (06-12-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies