Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
4 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
44 min ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
2 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72
22 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ultraman Orb (Blu-ray)
$21.72
22 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$55.29
2 hrs ago
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #321
Kevinicus Kevinicus is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Kevinicus's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
38
225
2
27
Default

Does anyone know of a good shelf that is 30" or shorter? Preferably with 3 shelves. I also need a depth no greater than 8" (the base can be deeper). I have several towers that would be perfect, except they are too tall and not as wide as I'd like. I have a space on a wall underneath a poster that is next to my existing in-wall shelf. Everything I see for media is tall, and usually too narrow. Bookshelves are too deep and usually waste space and have less shelves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #322
mattyl149 mattyl149 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mattyl149's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
173
7669
2057
133
1
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149
Default

I've currently got custom made shelves, and while I've got quite a lot, I've basically run out of room

I also had some shelves going part ways up a staircase, but I've had to sacrifice these, so now I have even less room. What I currently can't do is double stack and while I'd rather not go this route, I feel I have little choice. I have a lot of DVDs I'm not too bothered being on display which I can put behind Blu-rays

I have quite a few crates with films in as well which is also not ideal. What I'm looking for are shelves where I can double stack so a depth of about 30cm is preferable and length isn't really an issue, although I'd need them to be quite tall. I do have a couple of things to take into consideration such as one side I have a radiator, so I'll probably have to have less tall shelves. Also, I have had issues with damp on the floor on the other side in a couple of places, but I can use plastic sheeting under the shelves or try to find a way to fix it

I've seen the large 210 Billy bookcases but with needing at least four of them, it's going to end up costing 840. Can anyone suggest an alternative which is a bit cheaper? If they're not as long then it's fine, as I can put more in to make up for this, but I still want to stick within a tight budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #323
samadams12pack samadams12pack is offline
Member
 
Feb 2016
1
Default

Been looking at these shelves recently. How many DVDs and Blu-rays do you think I could fit on this shelf?

https://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Multim.../dp/B001KW0BEC
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #324
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Jun 2010
28
Default

Threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.

DVD+Blu


2019-07-29_12-07-18 by Barry, on Flickr



CD (Funny how this pic shows up properly on Flickr, but rotated here)


2019-07-29_12-07-32 by Barry, on Flickr

Last edited by Barry_NJ; 08-05-2019 at 01:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (08-16-2019), CtrlCtrlFast (08-12-2019), f451 (09-13-2019), FragnitoM (08-05-2019), ghostsofjoy (08-16-2019), hagios (09-11-2019), SlayersCouncil (08-08-2019), SleazyForWeasley (08-05-2019), Starchild (08-16-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #325
SleazyForWeasley SleazyForWeasley is offline
Expert Member
 
SleazyForWeasley's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
330-hio
49
616
147
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
Threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.

DVD+Blu


2019-07-29_12-07-18 by Barry, on Flickr



CD (Funny how this pic shows up properly on Flickr, but rotated here)


2019-07-29_12-07-32 by Barry, on Flickr
These look great!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #326
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Jun 2010
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyForWeasley View Post
These look great!!!
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #327
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Central Florida
23
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
Threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.

DVD+Blu


2019-07-29_12-07-18 by Barry, on Flickr



CD


2019-07-29_12-07-32 by Barry, on Flickr
Great job. I like it!

Last edited by AmishParadise; 08-16-2019 at 01:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #328
BDougherty BDougherty is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
Missouri
243
281
1
Default

I just bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



I've got another shelf off to the other side, it's a cheap walmart one that I got years ago. Nothing fancy.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (08-25-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #329
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Jun 2010
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Great job. I like it!

Thanks!

How'd you do that
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #330
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
151
3901
3672
3
2
Default

I can not abide particle board. Shelves that bend and bow under weight are unacceptable.

My late father used to build shelves for me out of solid birch, but since his passing I buy storage units from a company that builds racks and shelves out of solid oak.

https://hillwoodshed.com/index.php?route=common/home

They are not cheap, but I would rather pay more, even a lot more, for something solid and well built.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ran94 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #331
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Jun 2010
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I can not abide particle board. Shelves that bend and bow under weight are unacceptable.
No particle board, 5/8" threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.
After over a decade, 4' shelves barely bend under the weight of vinyl
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #332
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
151
3901
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
No particle board, 5/8" threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.
After over a decade, 4' shelves barely bend under the weight of vinyl
Plywood is good, but never sawdust and glue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #333
Phillip c. Niethe Phillip c. Niethe is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)
121
121
1
2
Default

[QUOTE=Barry_NJ;16698267]Threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.[QUOTE]
The order of the first 16 films amuses me, I get the Numbering in front of the "A" section but the Bond series as "007" would drive me nuts on my shelves lol... Unless of course Bond was my absolute favorite and wanted it right at the start for easy retrieval
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #334
Phillip c. Niethe Phillip c. Niethe is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)
121
121
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
No particle board, 5/8" threaded rod, and 1" furniture grade ply-wood.
After over a decade, 4' shelves barely bend under the weight of vinyl
I had this same issue! I took a 1 inch strip of that same furniture grade plywood and liquid nailed it the length of each of my shelves dead center underneath and it no longer bends in the slightest
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #335
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
167
1466
1365
3
Default

Does anyone know of any shelving/bookcases that roughly meet the following criteria?

-Has door to close up so you don't see what is inside (no glass that you can see through). While I like looking at my collection, my plan it to have several bookcases on either side of my TV, and I really don't want all of the spines of all of my movies being visible at all times.

-Has adjustable shelves to customize space in between them, preferably with compatible extra shelves being reasonably easy to obtain, to maximize how much can be stored in it.

-Is as tall as possible (preferably at least 6 feet or more).

-and the kicker: isn't overly expensive.


I know that what is or isn't "overly expensive" can be subjective. It's just that any options that I see that have doors, or for which doors can be purchased (i.e. Ikea) adds up VERY quickly. And I'm potentially looking to get 6 to 8 applicable bookcases. I'm hoping to not have to spend over $1,000 if it can be avoided.


Any advice on this, as close to these criteria as possible (if it is not exact, I'm still open to suggestions that are in the ballpark of what I'm looking for) would be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #336
Hellboy Hellboy is offline
Active Member
 
Hellboy's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Portland, OR
855
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Does anyone know of any shelving/bookcases that roughly meet the following criteria?

-Has door to close up so you don't see what is inside (no glass that you can see through). While I like looking at my collection, my plan it to have several bookcases on either side of my TV, and I really don't want all of the spines of all of my movies being visible at all times.

-Has adjustable shelves to customize space in between them, preferably with compatible extra shelves being reasonably easy to obtain, to maximize how much can be stored in it.

-Is as tall as possible (preferably at least 6 feet or more).

-and the kicker: isn't overly expensive.


I know that what is or isn't "overly expensive" can be subjective. It's just that any options that I see that have doors, or for which doors can be purchased (i.e. Ikea) adds up VERY quickly. And I'm potentially looking to get 6 to 8 applicable bookcases. I'm hoping to not have to spend over $1,000 if it can be avoided.


Any advice on this, as close to these criteria as possible (if it is not exact, I'm still open to suggestions that are in the ballpark of what I'm looking for) would be appreciated.
Basically sounds like what I was looking for. Posted my pics a while back but included them again below if you want to have a look. They’re Prepac Deluxe Media storage racks. Holds around 650 BDs each. Paid roughly $250 a piece for my pair. Doors lock too, which is great if you have kids. Measurements are 64"H x 24"W x 14.5"D. I installed the LED lighting.

[Show spoiler]




  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #337
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
167
1466
1365
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Basically sounds like what I was looking for. Posted my pics a while back but included them again below if you want to have a look. They’re Prepac Deluxe Media storage racks. Holds around 650 BDs each. Paid roughly $250 a piece for my pair. Doors lock too, which is great if you have kids. Measurements are 64"H x 24"W x 14.5"D. I installed the LED lighting.

[Show spoiler]




Thank you for the suggestion.

I would otherwise love something like those (I like that more can be stored on the inside of the doors). I've actually seen things like this before in my searches. But only problem is that with how they open, they can't be lined up directly next to each other. I wouldn't like the look of having gaps in between each media case to accommodate opening the doors.

I've seen some shorter ones that have storage on the doors, and open in such a way that it would be possible to line them up side by side (or very close to it). But I haven't seen any taller ones like that, probably because of the weight that all of the discs would add to the doors.


Edit:
Although, I am now having an idea that might make these work.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 09-13-2019 at 02:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.