Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Grimm's Snow White (Blu-ray)
$2.78

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Once Upon a Deadpool (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Kung Fu Panda: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #2241
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS Channel 13:Amity View Post
The digital HD version is 2:1 which is Nick Meyerís intended aspect ratio for the film.
It was always intended to be 2.35 - 2:1 is the limit he can open it up without totally ruining the compositions and cropping the VFX.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #2242
Special Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Vudu has it in 1.78. I've never seen it in anything other than that, 1.33 VHS, and 2.35.
When I watched it on Vudu, it was 2:1. Pretty sure it was from the same master used for the 2003 DVD (although it seemed to be missing an audio layer during the extended interrogation scene).

I don't think I've ever seen the DC (or even the "first" extended cut) at 1.78:1. As far as I know, TV airings have usually been the theatrical cut.

To be honest, I wonder what Meyer would say at this point about the ratio. I very seriously doubt he intended 2:1 when he originally shot it in 1991 (and I also wonder what Hiro Narita thinks about the 2:1 framing).

Last edited by BNex99; 01-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #2243

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Well, they could probably get away with some effects shots in SD on a blu-ray, probably not so much on a UHD. That is if it's just the effects that are 480p, so long as there is an actual film master to use that they could for that cut from which to strike a high quality scan (even if at 2K) with some decent consistency. I actually don't really like the "new" effects on the TOS seasons, I prefer the original effects. Of course I assume those were "HD" rather than 480p, but they were still some pretty heavy opticals with noise and grain, so they weren't "clean", but they still just worked for me alot better than the overly clean newly minted CGI effects.

I'd totally take that, UHD from native 4K scans of the OCN for the theatrical cuts, and just make an effort for a good 2K blu-ray on the directors cuts (which I don't believe I've seen anyway).
I've heard a rumor that the original artist who did a lot of the CG effects for the Director's cut knew that Paramount was making a big mistake going 480P so kept the digital files, which could be properly uprezzed at some future date. Probably not quite 4K quality, but it sounded like 2K was doable.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #2244
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
When I watched it on Vudu, it was 2:1. Pretty sure it was from the same master used for the 2003 DVD (although it seemed to be missing an audio layer during the extended interrogation scene).

It's a different master, it doesn't have the cheesy "gong" shots.
Gamma level is still WAYYY too high. Spock's "candlelit quarters" look like a day at the beach.

Quote:
To be honest, I wonder what Meyer would say at this point about the ratio. I very seriously doubt he intended 2:1 when he originally shot it in 1991 (and I also wonder what Hiro Narita thinks about the 2:1 framing).
It was safe framing for video, and the only TREK film shot in Super35.
Thanks given by:
SeaFox (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #2245
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLad View Post
Any news on HD or 4K masters?
Wrath of Khan is available in 4K on I believe AppleTV and Meyer confirmed in 2016 he had supervised an HDR pass but as to whether Paramount have already scanned the others I would say if they havenít already itís only a matter of time.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #2246
Special Member

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
I think the HD version of TMP : DE is just a pipedream (I know of a fan attempt to recreate it in HD but haven't viewed it yet)

I'd be happy with a 4K restoration of the theatrical cut and perhaps a 480p edition of the DE as an extra on the disc (better compression and encoding would be a benefit)
Hell, at this point I'd simply welcome a 2K scan of the 1983 ABC television cut with open arms, since all they'd even have to do is just scan the existing negative (or IP). Wouldn't cost them an extra cent in terms of having to recomposite completely-new HD effects like redoing the 2001 Director's Edition would, and both the 1979 and 1983 versions could be included on the same disc via seamless branching. And a 4K scan would be incredible.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #2247
Special Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It's a different master, it doesn't have the cheesy "gong" shots.
Like I said, it seemed to be missing an audio layer in that one scene. Picture-wise, it looked exactly the same as the 2003 DVD, just in HD instead of SD, right down to the FX glitch on the far right during the final shot of the Enterprise flying away.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #2248
Blu-ray Guru

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Horsepackage View Post
Hell, at this point I'd simply welcome a 2K scan of the 1983 ABC television cut with open arms
I'd be happy with that.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 AM   #2249

Mar 2012
Boulder

Quote: Originally Posted by Michael24

By any chance, does this set...
...contain the remastered Star Trek II?
No it doesn't.

-----

Oh, geez. Why the ... heck not?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #2250

Apr 2011
Michigan

Regarding the Director's Cut of the first movie, David C. Fein, the producer, addressed the internet rumor about the effects only being rendered in SD, as well as many other things about the movie in a thread on the stevehoffman forum a while back. He stated that they have everything they need to make a proper transfer of the Director's Cut on blu-ray, but Paramount has not greenlit the project yet.

This is what he said regarding the effects and models:

"All of the shots in the film were created with HD in mind so the quality of the models and elements were much higher than the SD renderings. We have everything, and when the time is right, we'll use them. Again, there is no truth that anything is missing."

His full post is about halfway down the page:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa....542907/page-2
Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (01-11-2019), IronWaffle (Yesterday), startrekkin58 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 AM   #2251

Oct 2012
Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
Regarding the Director's Cut of the first movie, David C. Fein, the producer, addressed the internet rumor about the effects only being rendered in SD, as well as many other things about the movie in a thread on the stevehoffman forum a while back. He stated that they have everything they need to make a proper transfer of the Director's Cut on blu-ray, but Paramount has not greenlit the project yet.

"All of the shots in the film were created with HD in mind so the quality of the models and elements were much higher than the SD renderings. We have everything, and when the time is right, we'll use them. Again, there is no truth that anything is missing."

That's good news. I've been waiting for a HD release (blu ray and/or 4K UHD) of Robert Wise's director cut of TMP for several years. It's the last piece in my Star Trek film collection.
Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #2252
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Michael24

By any chance, does this set...
...contain the remastered Star Trek II?
No it doesn't.

-----

Oh, geez. Why the ... heck not?

Because the set came out before that remaster?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:23 AM   #2253

Oct 2018

Quote:

I have the director's cut on DVD and have always liked this version.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #2254

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:

The 'no missing elements' thing is something he has been claiming for awhile that seemed to fly in the face of the stories that Trumbull and Dykstra kept holding the VFX elements for a few years and after Paramount didn't claim them, they tossed them. Recently an old Dykstra/Apogee reel turned up online showing unused angles and longer versions of takes from the film, which again suggests that the 'restoration' folks on TMP-DE did not have access to everything, because Paramount doesn't have everything, and never did.

EDIT ADDON: link added to TMP unused fx reel - https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/unus...-found.297562/

One big problem with any kind of BLADE RUNNER level restoration on TMP is not being able to recomp the original elements, and if there are no original elements, that pretty much limits how good the work can possibly be. Not that I imagine Paramount would spend BLADE RUNNER money on anything ...

EDIT ADDON: Regarding Trek 6 TUC, Meyer liked s35 because he wanted to be able to open the frame up rather than P&S the widescreen image for 4:3 tv, he said as much in interviews at the time of the film's release (it's funny, because I remember trying to watch the movie on PPV, and instead of running the opened up version, they pan & scanned the theatrical, destroying the primary and secondary compositions). I think the DP was okay with s35 because it gave him a wider range of lens choices, but for all I know they may have just been breathing what James Cameron was smoking since he was the big gun on S35 at the time.

Last edited by trevanian; 01-11-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Meyer TUC stuff plus TMP VFX unused
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (Yesterday)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #2255

Aug 2008

Quote:

Well, I stand corrected. In all my years of following a Trek news and stories, Iíve never heard this before. Thanks for sharing it
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America