Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Grimm's Snow White (Blu-ray)
$2.78
 
Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
Once Upon a Deadpool (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
The Nun (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Kung Fu Panda: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


View Poll Results: Rate the movie (only after you have seen it)
One Star 19 3.94%
Two Stars 51 10.58%
Three Stars 120 24.90%
Four Stars 224 46.47%
Five Stars 68 14.11%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #5681
wonderer99 wonderer99 is offline
Expert Member
 
wonderer99's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
In the new film all he wanted to do was kill in general. Laurie is the one who remained obsessed with him.
I'm trying to remember how he got to Laurie's house at the end. Wasn't he actively seeking her out? I dunno, I must have been too busy being disappointed in it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mredman (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #5682
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
In the new film all he wanted to do was kill in general. Laurie is the one who remained obsessed with him.
He didn’t have a obsession with her. He just remembered her and wanted to finish off the job. Laurie knew he would return to Haddonfield. It is, after all, the location of his first kill (his sister). He wants to kill again and get the twisted thrill he got that night.

I’m agreeing with you by the way, just adding my views.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
trans8010 (Yesterday)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #5683
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Just glad to have another great Halloween movie after Resurrection and the horrible RZ Halloween II.
I agree with the Resurrection bit.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #5684
Darth Maher Darth Maher is offline
Active Member
 
Darth Maher's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Chicagoland
345
597
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post
I'm trying to remember how he got to Laurie's house at the end. Wasn't he actively seeking her out? I dunno, I must have been too busy being disappointed in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
He didnít have a obsession with her. He just remembered her and wanted to finish off the job. Laurie knew he would return to Haddonfield. It is, after all, the location of his first kill (his sister). He wants to kill again and get the twisted thrill he got that night.

Iím agreeing with you by the way, just adding my views.
Yeah, wasn't it
[Show spoiler]New Loomis that delivered her to Laurie's fortress of solitude
?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #5685
trans8010 trans8010 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2009
North Carolina USA
702
5
Default

Are we still on this?

Good God, people, Michael Myers targets Laurie Strode because she walked on his doorstep. He became obsessed with her, then her friends as each one either sexually excited him, or pissed him off. Laurie was special. He wanted her because of how much she reminded him of his sister. Michael was recreating the crime over n over. There was no sister or family ties as motivation.

John Carpenter did not want to do Halloween II, and if it wasn't for his blunder, by promising "The Fog" to both Yablans and new employer AVCO, he wouldn't have been forced to do the sequel. Since he was forced to do Halloween II, he had no idea how to progress the story in ways that included both Loomis and Laurie, two characters that had to be featured, and therefore couldn't figure out WHY Michael would risk capture by going after Laurie again? Why he would even care about Laurie. So after a 6 pack of Budweiser, and possibly with the ending of Empire Strikes Back resonating (that movie was HUGE in 1980) juggling 2 other films (Fog and Escape from New York) he came up with the Mike and Laurie are siblings.

Halloween (2018) was not going to be done with Carpenter on board if the sister angle remained, so Michael was back as a random killer.

Anyone who claims that familicide was the motivation from the beginning doesn't know Halloween. They don't know how, and why that little movie was made in the first place and a sequel only became a reality was because Yablans wanted more milk from his newly born cash cow.

You are more than welcome to believe what you want, but it doesn't make Halloween II any more a 2nd part to a story John wanted to tell. To John Halloween II is an abomination made only to make money and cash in on the slasher boom.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (Yesterday), eiknarf (Yesterday), Jay Mammoth (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM   #5686
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Sorry you get tired of hearing facts.. He was under threat of a lawsuit if he didnít write Halloween II, glad he was able to retcon the sister/brother connection.


I didn't say I get tired of hearing facts. I'm simply tired of hearing people trot it out every time they try to defend their hatred for Halloween II. The fact is many people who enjoy the Halloween series do indeed enjoy Halloween II. For many, that was an early one they grew up with every year on TV. So its frustrating to see it all retconned now. Halloween II was a pretty decent sequel imo. It's the closest to matching the feel of the original imo, other than maybe IV.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Darth Maher (Yesterday), mredman (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #5687
trans8010 trans8010 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2009
North Carolina USA
702
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post


I didn't say I get tired of hearing facts. I'm simply tired of hearing people trot it out every time they try to defend their hatred for Halloween II. The fact is many people who enjoy the Halloween series do indeed enjoy Halloween II. For many, that was an early one they grew up with every year on TV. So its frustrating to see it all retconned now. Halloween II was a pretty decent sequel imo. It's the closest to matching the feel of the original imo, other than maybe IV.
They have legitimate reasons for disliking Halloween II.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #5688
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Yeah, wasn't it
[Show spoiler]New Loomis that delivered her to Laurie's fortress of solitude
?
Absolutely, yes. New Loomis thought Laurie was the key to unlocking all the stuff he had been studying about Myers. The Shape is returning to Hadonfield, not to Laurie. The film makes that clear. Laurie makes the confrontation happen by putting herself in the firing line. She is desperate to bate him so he will eventually end up at Laurie’s stronghold.

Last edited by Steedeel; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #5689
Jay Mammoth Jay Mammoth is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay Mammoth's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Buffalo NY
5
993
57
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post


I didn't say I get tired of hearing facts. I'm simply tired of hearing people trot it out every time they try to defend their hatred for Halloween II. The fact is many people who enjoy the Halloween series do indeed enjoy Halloween II. For many, that was an early one they grew up with every year on TV. So its frustrating to see it all retconned now. Halloween II was a pretty decent sequel imo. It's the closest to matching the feel of the original imo, other than maybe IV.

Never said I hated Halloween II, itís one of my favorite sequels behind 4 and 2018. I grew up with it as well, but I can see and appreciate why they retconned the sibling angle though.
I can still enjoy watching 1,2 and 4, or now Halloween and the new one.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #5690
johnpaul2 johnpaul2 is offline
Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
They don't know how, and why that little movie was made in the first place and a sequel only became a reality was because Yablans wanted more milk from his newly born cash cow.

You are more than welcome to believe what you want, but it doesn't make Halloween II any more a 2nd part to a story John wanted to tell. To John Halloween II is an abomination made only to make money and cash in on the slasher boom.
It's all the more fascinating since it's hard to see this 2018 movie as anything else that an awful money-grab that has pretty much nothing to add or even just offer, except trying to be a smarter take of the 78 movie but without using anything new it tries (and claim) to offer.

Yet, Carpenter and Curtis are all over the extras, giddily passing kind words to Blum as if they were suddenly making a smart masterpiece.

Having seen Halloween II (81) and this one almost back-to-back, it's unfortunately not the case, and this 2018 isn't a much better iteration than the 81 one.

Though if I had to choose, I'd probably take the 81 one, because the 2018 tries way too much to seem smater than it is, throwing around pointless characters (but spending way too much time on them) and new ideas (what if Laurie is prepared for Michael's return) without doing anything with it (in the end, she doesn't feel much more prepared than 40 years ago, and her booby traps aren't offering much either).

Even without taking into account the whole artificial sibling things, Halloween 2018 is just a dumb sluggish horror movie with no added value whatsoever.

The photo and the OST are nice, though.

EDIT : I'd also had that this humpteenth sequel is quite symptomatic of studios' over-complicated takes on some simple ideas and movies, as if they were totally incapable of not piling up layers and layers of useless contextual and additional elements. In the end, all they do is proving that "more" in movies rarely equates "better".
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #5691
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post
I'm trying to remember how he got to Laurie's house at the end. Wasn't he actively seeking her out? I dunno, I must have been too busy being disappointed in it.
See above, sorry didn’t mean to miss you out of conversation.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #5692
trans8010 trans8010 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2009
North Carolina USA
702
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul2 View Post
It's all the more fascinating since it's hard to see this 2018 movie as anything else that an awful money-grab that has pretty much nothing to add or even just offer, except trying to be a smarter take of the 78 movie but without using anything new it tries (and claim) to offer.

Yet, Carpenter and Curtis are all over the extras, giddily passing kind words to Blum as if they were suddenly making a smart masterpiece.

Having seen Halloween II (81) and this one almost back-to-back, it's unfortunately not the case, and this 2018 isn't a much better iteration than the 81 one.

Though if I had to choose, I'd probably take the 81 one, because the 2018 tries way too much to seem smater than it is, throwing around pointless characters (but spending way too much time on them) and new ideas (what if Laurie is prepared for Michael's return) without doing anything with it (in the end, she doesn't feel much more prepared than 40 years ago, and her booby traps aren't offering much either).

Even without taking into account the whole artificial sibling things, Halloween 2018 is just a dumb sluggish horror movie with no added value whatsoever.

The photo and the OST are nice, though.

EDIT : I'd also had that this humpteenth sequel is quite symptomatic of studios' over-complicated takes on some simple ideas and movies, as if they were totally incapable of not piling up layers and layers of useless contextual and additional elements. In the end, all they do is proving that "more" in movies rarely equates "better".
Anyone here will agree with what you said. However, I disagree with the "Laurie isn't any better prepared than she was 40 years ago." I believe that was the point. Laurie may have developed and honed her skills over the past half decade and definitely fortified the house as a paranoiac measure to rid herself of Michael should he return, and even though she prepared herself, Laurie found herself still at the mercy of that homicidal maniac. Laurie still underestimated the Shape.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #5693
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
Anyone here will agree with what you said. However, I disagree with the "Laurie isn't any better prepared than she was 40 years ago." I believe that was the point. Laurie may have developed and honed her skills over the past half decade and definitely fortified the house as a paranoiac measure to rid herself of Michael should he return, and even though she prepared herself, Laurie found herself still at the mercy of that homicidal maniac. Laurie still underestimated the Shape.
Anyone here wonít agree. I much preferred the 2018 version to H2.

Also, Lauriesís plan worked. Have you seen the film?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (Yesterday), trans8010 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #5694
Ruemorgue10 Ruemorgue10 is online now
Special Member
 
Ruemorgue10's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
1789
103
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
You are more than welcome to believe what you want, but it doesn't make Halloween II any more a 2nd part to a story John wanted to tell. To John Halloween II is an abomination made only to make money and cash in on the slasher boom.
For all it's flaws, Halloween II remains a favorite of mine. Carpenter may despise the film, but he was at least smart enough to regroup the same cast and crew to make a film that is stylistically in sync with the first film; getting Donald Pleasance back and having Dean Cundey behind the camera once again redeems the film's shortcomings.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
trans8010 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #5695
johnpaul2 johnpaul2 is offline
Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
Anyone here will agree with what you said. However, I disagree with the "Laurie isn't any better prepared than she was 40 years ago." I believe that was the point. Laurie may have developed and honed her skills over the past half decade and definitely fortified the house as a paranoiac measure to rid herself of Michael should he return, and even though she prepared herself, Laurie found herself still at the mercy of that homicidal maniac. Laurie still underestimated the Shape.
I understand your point, but I'm not convinced.

In the end, the movie spends a lot of time on building a different context, but in the end, when you take the last act in Laurie's house, it's basically the exact same thing than in 78.
So either it's on purpose but poorly done, or they really wanted to create a more complex context but never used it practically speaking.
Either case, it's not very positive.

Last edited by johnpaul2; Yesterday at 08:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 AM   #5696
trans8010 trans8010 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2009
North Carolina USA
702
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Anyone here wonít agree. I much preferred the 2018 version to H2.

Also, Lauriesís plan worked. Have you seen the film?
We've had detailed discussions on here about the film. I was the first poster to go in depth of Laurie's fractured psyche as the film's emotional drive.

Laurie's plan worked eventually, but it's clear she still underestimated Michael, I doubt she planned on being stabbed and thrown off the balcony of her own house, or that some mad doctor would bring him there in the first place. Her plan fell apart, and she was left to improvise, until things finally came back in her favor.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:47 AM   #5697
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
298
15
37
83
Default

I just bought the steenbok.

...watching tonight for the first time.

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by Ray Jackson; Today at 03:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (Today), trans8010 (Today)
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #5698
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
298
15
37
83
Default

Well I just finished watching this.

I know that what i am about to say will undoubtedly irritate, annoy and possibly anger some of you fine people and that is not my intention.

This is merely my honest opinion distilled into its purest form.

This film fell completely flat for me.

I really don’t get what all the hype was about.

Half of it was spent copying or paying homage to scenes and/or shots from the original and falling short by comparison and the other half felt like almost any other generic horror movie made in the last 20 years—filled with mostly bland, forgettable characters who say a bunch of dumb things and make a series of impossibly stupid decisions.

Worst of all, I just thought it was boring. I never felt any sense of dread or anything resembling fear. All the attempts at creating suspense went off like a dud firecracker. And the opening pre-credit scene was...dumb.

A lot of people hated the Rob Zombie films because of the backstory angle, but you take that part out of the equation and I thought both RZ sequels were more entertaining than this one. The story felt rushed and abridged to me.

And the “twist” with
[Show spoiler]the psychiatrist
...are you kidding me?

I haven’t audibly groaned like that during a movie in quite some time.

Again...I am sorry.

Last edited by Ray Jackson; Today at 08:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mredman (Today)
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #5699
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
We've had detailed discussions on here about the film. I was the first poster to go in depth of Laurie's fractured psyche as the film's emotional drive.

Laurie's plan worked eventually, but it's clear she still underestimated Michael, I doubt she planned on being stabbed and thrown off the balcony of her own house, or that some mad doctor would bring him there in the first place. Her plan fell apart, and she was left to improvise, until things finally came back in her favor.
It’s a film. Of course it isn’t going to go completely smooth. Laurie’s trap worked. That’s how she planned it and that’s what happened eventually.

I think at times, people get so caught up on this stuff and forget to enjoy the film. I have seen the original Halloween hundreds of times and it stands alone but this was a good, entertaining film. It seems to me in these modern times, everyone wants to pick apart films. Even the classics have faults.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #5700
ROTTENLUNGZ206 ROTTENLUNGZ206 is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2010
206
285
Default

Bought the steelbook and just watched it. I liked it. But I feel like they shoulda shot him in the head with a shotgun instead of setting him on fire. But then a sequel couldnt be made lol.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.