Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
16 hrs ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66
1 day ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.98
1 day ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.82
1 day ago
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Peacemaker: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.98
19 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$119.99
19 hrs ago
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.27
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #761
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzle1 View Post
I dont think you understand how downloading works, you can download high picture quality movies with the high end audio tracks. These downloads are often around the actual size of the bluray almost a 1:1 copy, but yeah you can download a remaster of a film which has audio that sounds like its been ran through a potato
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #762
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Would we have companies going out of there way to give us the best PQ or will be stuck with anything the download gives to us and no one accountable for a crap transfer because no one gives a dam about PQ?
My point is that supporting Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray (high-end physical media) will continue to urge companies like Apple to increase the quality of their iTunes copies or Vudu to invest in including more restored versions of movies and increasing bitrates over time. Streaming will be forced to keep up with physical media until they're ultimately equal in theory. At that point studios could go digital-only. Will that ever happen? Who knows. But it's not going the opposite direction.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #763

Feb 2016

Quote:
Rocket Richard has already stated he is not interested in PQ and many who seen the demise of PDP for LCD said exactly the same, so that choice was eventually removed from us.
Why do you keep mentioning I am not interested in PQ?? I’m assuming you are talking about Picture Quality, then of course I am.

And any demise of product is simply due to better technology improving it and leaving it in the dust.

Are you perhaps also on the VHSForum complaining that the VCR was also removed from you??
Thanks given by:
V40LLY (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #764
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
My point is that supporting Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray (high-end physical media) will continue to urge companies like Apple to increase the quality of their iTunes copies or Vudu to invest in including more restored versions of movies and increasing bitrates over time. Streaming will be forced to keep up with physical media until they're ultimately equal in theory. At that point studios could go digital-only. Will that ever happen? Who knows. But it's not going the opposite direction.
Once the competion is removed and we are left with a majority of viewers like Rocket Richard what then?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #765
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Why do you keep mentioning I am not interested in PQ?? Iím assuming you are talking about Picture Quality, then of course I am.

And any demise of product is simply due to better technology improving it and leaving it in the dust.

Are you perhaps also on the VHSForum complaining that the VCR was also removed from you??
You stated you were not?

Streaming is not a step up.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #766

Feb 2016

Yeah, I also stated grade 6 took me 12 years to complete, but I assumed you knew I was joking.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #767
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Once the competion is removed and we are left with a majority of viewers like Rocket Richard what then?
We're already at a point where people get to choose the quality of their digital copy. Some might choose the lower quality version, but they won't eliminate high quality versions, especially if they know there are still people out there who once collected Blu-rays. They want to make money, not piss off collectors. And then there could still be companies out there making display-worthy packaging for movies that people can line their shelves with, only there won't be movies inside them. Just booklets, cards, etc.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #768
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
We're already at a point where people get to choose the quality of their digital copy. Some might choose the lower quality version, but they won't eliminate high quality versions, especially if they know there are still people out there who once collected Blu-rays. They want to make money, not piss off collectors. And then there could still be companies out there making display-worthy packaging for movies that people can line their shelves with, only there won't be movies inside them. Just booklets, cards, etc.
The experts and the businesses that rely on mastering etc?

I am not on about the quality of the download but the quality of the film to be downloaded who will be accountable? Will we be given a transfer with auto clean up, grain removed etc. A cut version because companies will not do the leg work to find the best elements. We will be at the mercy of what these companies want to give us.

Disney are already making an appalling mess of their classic animated transfers and will not listen to anyone regarding this situation.

Last edited by Mr Kite; 05-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #769
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:

How common is it for people to buy physical media just for the packaging and just so that it looks good on their shelf? Only reason I still buy blu-ray is because of the quality, not the packaging or that I want something to look good on my shelf. In fact I get rid of most of the cases and store all my blu-rays in binders which sit on my shelf. The only time I care about the kind of packaging is that I prefer not to have blu-rays packaged in cardboard sleeves and would look for version with different packaging, which is why I bought the steelbook version of the Back to the Future Trilogy 30th anniversary over the digibook version.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #770
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
How common is it for people to buy physical media just for the packaging and just so that it looks good on their shelf? Only reason I still buy blu-ray is because of the quality, not the packaging or that I want something to look good on my shelf. In fact I get rid of most of the cases and store all my blu-rays in binders which sit on my shelf. The only time I care about the kind of packaging is that I prefer not to have blu-rays packaged in cardboard sleeves and would look for version with different packaging, which is why I bought the steelbook version of the Back to the Future Trilogy 30th anniversary over the digibook version.
It's more common than you think, most steelbook collectors don't open them. I have the T-800 Terminator head, The Hogwart Castle Harry Potter collection, the Owl ship Watchmen, The t-Rex JP and many many more cool boxset and to be honest I didn't bought any of those for the movie, in fact I can't name one that I didn't already had the movie beside JP and JW.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #771
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
What about that 'pay by screen size' element? Don't you see that as a troublesome development?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #772
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Of course there will have to be trends carried over to digital from the physical media world. Remastered versions could pop up that require double dips. Special features are added to several movies on iTunes, so that can still exist.

So remastered movies with bonus features don't have to be a thing of the past. I truly hope that never happens. Films must be preserved in their highest possible quality, and digital doesn't have to take that away.

And special features help boost sales, whether people watch them or not. That's why they slap stickers on the cover of a DVD/Blu-ray boasting its extras, and why iTunes tells you about the iTunes Extras on the movies they sell. It gets people to buy instead of just rent.

And just as tiger_qc said, it's pretty common that people buy movies sometimes just for the packaging. That's why studios re-re-release movies in every type of packaging imaginable with various cover art even. Retailer-exclusives are sometimes (mostly) about just packaging.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #773

Feb 2016

Quote:
The experts and the businesses that rely on mastering etc?

Disney are already making an appalling mess of their classic animated transfers and will not listen to anyone regarding this situation.
Then that is what you will get on Blu-ray, and they will not listen to anyone.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #774
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
In which way
Grain reproduction, color and contrast range, chroma resolution etc. pp.
Quote:
it comes very close if done correctly and in some cases will look better than it ever has.
Who defines "close"? And why is Blu-ray "close" and, say, a Netflix UHD stream isn't?
Quote:
Where and not for PQ they aint.
Sure they are. For example Sony's UHD downloads.
Quote:
I will try one more time, if we go down the download root what then happens to the restoration and remaster of film material as it is like taking a high end remasterd audio track and being made to listening to it on a telephone.
Film restoration didn't start with Blu-ray and it won't end with Blu-ray.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:33 AM   #775

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
What about that 'pay by screen size' element? Don't you see that as a troublesome development?
Yes. In your world SteepHeels!
Thanks given by:
V40LLY (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM   #776

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight17 View Post
Just a note for the digital enthusiasts - Let us say that a blu ray takes up about 40gb (for a 50gb dual layer disc) for the movie (including audio and video), you do realise that this will be compressed to around 3-5 gb for streaming or downloading, right?
You can already watch stuff on Netflix and other sites in 4K. Are you telling me that same show is going to look better on a Blu-ray disc ?

The future is already here, and digital steaming/downloading PQ will only get better, right?
Thanks given by:
V40LLY (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #777
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

Quote:
You can already watch stuff on Netflix and other sites in 4K. Are you telling me that same show is going to look better on a Blu-ray disc ?

The future is already here, and digital steaming/downloading PQ will only get better, right?
On Blu-ray you OWN the show, shows on Netflix aren't there forever, I watched Nip/Tuck on Netflix about a year ago it's not there anymore.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:17 AM   #778
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Tonight I'm catching up on NCIS New Orleans and the last episode was buffering every 2 or 3 minutes. The tv is hooked with Ethernet and the internet was fine. Something was up with that episode on CBS All Access. Gee you have to love constant buffering. Luckily the next episode is running better.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 AM   #779
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
You stated you were not?

Streaming is not a step up.
You guys don't think it's a Step Up, but we HD Digitals think it's the Next Step!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:13 AM   #780
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight17:
Just a note for the digital enthusiasts - Let us say that a blu ray takes up about 40gb (for a 50gb dual layer disc) for the movie (including audio and video), you do realise that this will be compressed to around 3-5 gb for streaming or downloading, right?

That has to do with BitRate, and to get Blu-ray quality HD Digital you need more Bandwidth. Vudu HDX is closing this gap, and the BitRate increases according to your Bandwidth. That's why I say with a Fiber Infrastructure it's possible to have the same BitRate as any Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray Disc.

Last edited by alchav21; 05-11-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology