Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Frontier(s) (Blu-ray)
£29.99
4 hrs ago
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 4K (Blu-ray)
£6.60
1 day ago
May (Blu-ray)
£29.99
3 hrs ago
The Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
£16.99
14 hrs ago
Satan's Little Helper (Blu-ray)
£18.99
4 hrs ago
Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest 4K (Blu-ray)
£119.99
 
Blood Money: Four Classic Westerns Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
£44.99
 
Better Call Saul: Season Six (Blu-ray)
£19.99
 
The Boys: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
£16.99
 
Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
£8.49
 
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Blu-ray)
£9.99
 
Enter the Video Store: Empire of Screams (Blu-ray)
£54.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #441
calico calico is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
Still not convinced that all 10000 sold before they were pulled.
And if they did it makes even less sense not to press anymore. The release was clearly labelled as LE packaging so a standard version seems to be a no brainer.
If the US version included Dr Who Times I'd get that to replace the UK one I sold for 200 but it doesn't.
I did run off a copy of Dr Who Times and the one hour Tom interview and the 2 replacement discs include all of the rest of what I wanted which is The Tom Baker Years and the 2 new documentaries but should it be reissued I'd still pick it up for 39.99 again
Do you have any evidence supporting that anything was pulled? It simply sold out. It sold 6,000 within two days, putting it in 4th place in UK blu-ray sales. And then it and overtook two more titles (one of which was reported to sell 16,000) to land in second place by day 7.

They're probably trying to use this 'snooze you lose' situation to boost season 19 preorders. The idea being that you either get it now, or have to deal with horrible prices on ebay.

Last edited by calico; 09-28-2018 at 10:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #442
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
Do you have any evidence supporting that anything was pulled? It simply sold out. It sold 6,000 within two days, putting it in 4th place in UK blu-ray sales. And then it and overtook two more titles (one of which was reported to sell 16,000) to land in second place by day 7.

They're probably trying to use this 'snooze you lose' situation to boost season 19 preorders. The idea being that you either get it now, or have to deal with horrible prices on ebay.
No evidence other than the idea that a 40 - 50 boxset sold 10000 copies in 2 weeks seems unlikely specially when the bulk of it was standard def material readily available on dvd.
10000 punters that keen on bonus features with 40 to shell out? Not impossible of course.
The other titles were mainstream Hollywood blockbusters IIRC in standard packages.
And basically as soon as the errors were big news the set became unavailable almost immediately.
But we shall see. The BBC don't seem to work like a normal commercial company which would do the obvious and reissue but IIRC The Key To Time set took ages to get reissued
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #443
hariseldon hariseldon is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-
178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
No evidence other than the idea that a 40 - 50 boxset sold 10000 copies in 2 weeks seems unlikely specially when the bulk of it was standard def material readily available on dvd.
10000 punters that keen on bonus features with 40 to shell out? Not
Well -- it was on sale closer to 4 months and once the US showed they were only going to release the basic packaging, a lot of orders came into the UK. I'm going to assume that most of those 6000 1st 2 day sets were actually preorders

I still not terribly convinced it OOP forever though the type packaging could well change to be more like the US set. I think the next 2-4 weeks are critical now that the corrected discs are done
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #444
2099net 2099net is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2007
2021
5
Default

Well, I feel they're sort of shooting themselves in the foot. People unable to get the series 12 set, don't feel the need to get any others. And I totally understand "the all or nothing" mentality - especially as these are aimed, primarily, at collectors.

Look, I can understand the need for something to drive pre-orders and I totally understand that being the "Limited Edition Packaging". Sadly, its just a fact of life for niche titles - present an incentive to get the production costs (or most of the production costs) paid for ASAP.

However, not to re-release in standard packaging 3-6 months later seems, at best misguided and at worst incomprehensible.

I mean its still gonna take years to get all these out. Every year is (sadly) another year of physical releases slowly falling into obscurity in the eyes of the general public.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #445
derek_1999 derek_1999 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
derek_1999's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
UK
1
786
Default

Still no replacement discs for me... anyone else in the UK still waiting?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jimdigriz. (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #446
Simon Lewis Simon Lewis is online now
Active Member
 
Simon Lewis's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_1999 View Post
Still no replacement discs for me... anyone else in the UK still waiting?
Yes, I am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #447
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Let's give the BBC the benefit of the doubt and believe they are needing to send out 10000 sets of replacement discs. Or 6000 at least. That's a hefty postbag.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #448
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2015
Isle of Albion
924
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
Let's give the BBC the benefit of the doubt and believe they are needing to send out 10000 sets of replacement discs. Or 6000 at least. That's a hefty postbag.
Maybe they could use some of the 3,000,000,000+ a year they make from those daft enough to pay the TV licence tax and hire in some no doubt non-white non-male disabled lesbian agency workers to speed up sending out the replacements?

EDIT: Note to mods: The above is a reference to the BBC's own Inclusivity and Representation Charter 2016-2020, not me being a pig.

Last edited by Fnord Prefect; 10-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #449
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord Prefect View Post
Maybe they could use some of the 3,000,000,000+ a year they make from those daft enough to pay the TV licence tax and hire in some no doubt non-white non-male disabled lesbian agency workers to speed up sending out the replacements?

EDIT: Note to mods: The above is a reference to the BBC's own Inclusivity and Representation Charter 2016-2020, not me being a pig.
To be fair the company that releases things like this are a profit driven company totally separate from the company that gets the licence fee.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #450
derek_1999 derek_1999 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
derek_1999's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
UK
1
786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lewis View Post
Yes, I am.
Mmm - think I'll give it a few more days...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #451
rwsales rwsales is online now
Member
 
Dec 2010
7
Default

I am still waiting in the UK too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #452
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2015
Isle of Albion
924
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
To be fair the company that releases things like this are a profit driven company totally separate from the company that gets the licence fee.
As opposed to the profit driven company who get the TV licence tax (it is a tax, not a fee)...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #453
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord Prefect View Post
As opposed to the profit driven company who get the TV licence tax (it is a tax, not a fee)...
The BBC are not profit driven in the slightest. They're not allowed to be which is why commercial operations are run separately. Compared to the amount of money paid to Sky for their service the BBC is a bargain
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Majikat (10-28-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #454
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2015
Isle of Albion
924
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
The BBC are not profit driven in the slightest. They're not allowed to be which is why commercial operations are run separately. Compared to the amount of money paid to Sky for their service the BBC is a bargain
False equivalency: People don't find themselves up in front of the local magistrates/sheriff facing criminal prosecution for not buying a cable/satellite TV subscription even if they don't use said providers services.

If the BBC is such good value and widely loved then let it go encrypted subscription.

Last edited by Fnord Prefect; 10-02-2018 at 11:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RossyG (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #455
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord Prefect View Post

If the BBC is such good value and widely loved then let it go encrypted subscription.
That would be ridiculous. The BBC is a public service that caters for everyone. If it was market driven you'd have clones of Sky 1 and ITV3. No thanks.
The whole point is that the BBC will show crap like Eastenders that millions watch (and I suspect few would pay for ) but they also broadcast Radio 3 and other minority offerings that would not sustain themselves if they relied on subscription.

Privatising the BBC would be a huge mistake and no Government would be stupid enough to let it happen despite the wishes of The Daily Fail and its readers.
The existence of the BBC makes sure the entire broadcasting spectrum doesn't go down the pan like the US. You only have to look at what happened to ITV almost 20 years ago when they tried to fight Sky rather than embrace multi channel tv which they did several years and one bankrupt ITV Digital later.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
m213 (10-08-2018), Majikat (10-28-2018), Martoto (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #456
RossyG RossyG is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RossyG's Avatar
 
Sep 2016
Default

We have a situation where people can go to jail for not subsidising the BBC. Those of us who refuse to give them money get threatening letters and even unannounced visits from inspectors demanding proof that we don’t have a television that can pick up BBC transmissions.

The sooner this ludicrous state of affairs ends the better.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
drush9999 (10-03-2018), Fnord Prefect (10-03-2018), thecooldud (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #457
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossyG View Post
We have a situation where people can go to jail for not subsidising the BBC. Those of us who refuse to give them money get threatening letters and even unannounced visits from inspectors demanding proof that we don’t have a television that can pick up BBC transmissions.

The sooner this ludicrous state of affairs ends the better.
It won't. Not in your lifetime anyway.
Even if you view via Sky you still need a tv licence.

A tv landscape driven by subscriptions and ratings. What a horrible thought
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Majikat (10-28-2018), Martoto (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #458
RossyG RossyG is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RossyG's Avatar
 
Sep 2016
Default

Broadcast television is dying. Top rated shows get a fraction of the viewers hit shows got in the Seventies. My nephews, aged 21 and 19 never watch it and I’m sure that’s the norm with their age group.

If people still want to watch telly, bully for them, but it’s wrong to expect other people to pay for it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #459
Witchfinger Generous Witchfinger Generous is offline
Senior Member
 
Witchfinger Generous's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
UK
Default

If the BBC can't fund itself, it doesn't deserve to exist.
It gets no money from me. Not now, not ever.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (10-03-2018), RossyG (10-04-2018), thecooldud (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #460
HotRats HotRats is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HotRats's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Default

The simplest and best solution is to abolish the licence and pay for the BBC from general taxation. This would save 85 million a year and knock a nice hole in Crapita's profits. Encrypting BBC services would not work as what would happen to radio stations? Making the BBC a publicly owned commercial entity would simply duplicate Channel 4. The BBC is in dire need of massive reform in exchange for financial security. It is making fewer programmes and buying in more content but the numbers of managers is growing, even though they create nothing and the BBC's news is vastly inferior to Channel 4, packed with Tories like Robinson, anodyne incompetents like Kuenssberg and prehistoric old bigots like Humphrys to ensure the government is not upset. The BBC will have to change as people are more interested in content, not where it comes from.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (10-03-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 PM.