Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
21 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
23 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
18 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
58 min ago
Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah
Default Clash Of The Titans, Harry Potter Deathly Hallows in 3D now

Link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43789

I don't know, I'm really mixed on this. While I did enjoy Avatar in 3D I get the feeling they are now gonna overdue it and make everything 3D.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Nuuk, Greenland

Agree man, it's like The Matrix all over again.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

Also forgot to add that I don't think they shot these in 3D like Avatar did, but rather are adding it after which I don't know how that will affect the quality of it's use.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

And what's interesting about doing it this way is that apparently it ONLY adds an extra cool 5 million to the films budget!

from marketsaw:

Quote:
Tuesday, January 26, 2010

EXCLUSIVE CONFIRMED! Warner Bros Will Announce Three 3D Movies That Are Currently 2D - Two Are Major Tentpoles!

**SAME DAY UPDATE: Count this one as CONFIRMED! THR's Heat Vision Blog has confirmed that not only will CLASH OF THE TITANS be in S3D, but so will BOTH HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOW movies!

Accordingly, TITANS has been pushed back one week to April 2. The conversion is now only costing a mere $5 million to achieve per movie. That is nothing compared to the upside.

Jim here. I have to say I love this rumor and you heard it here first guys! Warner Bros is apparently going to announce before the END OF THIS WEEK that three of their current roster of 2D movies will become 3D movies!

This comes from a new source for us with whom I have dealt only once before. Here's hoping! Anyway, we will know soon if I can trust this guy :-)

I am assuming that one of them will be CLASH OF THE TITANS as you heard here on January 16. The stereo testing for TITANS went amazingly well.

Man oh man I hope the other is INCEPTION should this come to pass. :-) What do you think?

Last edited by Duffy12; 01-28-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #5

Feb 2009

maybe it's because every time I saw a 3D movie as a kid I got traumatized, or maybe it's because it can be so gimmicky and distracting, but I really hate this 3D trend we've hit. I haven't seen Avatar in 3D yet, but that's really the only movie I've encountered in years I'd be willing to see in 3D. Harry Potter especially does not need it. I won't even bother seeing Clash of the Titans because it looks like shit, and I love the original too much to tarnish my image of it with Letterier's bloated effects laden sacrilege.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star

Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #7

Jan 2008
Columbia, Maryland

To be honest tho, what else can the movie theaters offer to lure people in with the popularity of Blu-Ray, the lowering cost of getting a decent HD TV and 7.1 system in the home, and the sky rocketing price of just going to a movie period these days.

They have to do something to make it compete with home theater enthusiasts. As it is now, we dont all have high quality 3D systems, so that is the route they are choosing at the moment.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedNinjaGuy View Post
To be honest tho, what else can the movie theaters offer to lure people in with the popularity of Blu-Ray, the lowering cost of getting a decent HD TV and 7.1 system in the home, and the sky rocketing price of just going to a movie period these days.

They have to do something to make it compete with home theater enthusiasts. As it is now, we dont all have high quality 3D systems, so that is the route they are choosing at the moment.
I just hope they offer a 2d presentation on the bluray. High prices are exactly why I don't go to the theater in the first place. 3d makes those prices even higher.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #9

Jan 2010

I hope they do not package the 2D and 3D versions of the last two Potter movies together. When they release the last two movies they should do what is being done with Avatar release the 2D version by it self or I will not buy them.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSCREAM View Post

I don't know, I'm really mixed on this. While I did enjoy Avatar in 3D I get the feeling they are now gonna overdue it and make everything 3D.
Agree. All that the studios see are the $$$$ signs. Sorry to tell them that 3D is STILL a gimmick that works well for a very select amount of movies. I personally do not believe that the 3D trend will last.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southeastern NC

Quote:

I suspect you are overestimating the number of home theatre enthusiasts. Blu-ray.com is definitely not representative of the general population.

Harry Potter fans will watch the movies however they are presented. All 3-D will do, is allow Warner's to jack up the price by $3 a ticket. For $5 million to convert the film to 3-D (plus another $5 million they are providing the theatres to buy 3-D glasses), l they expect to generate another $100 million or so.

To me, Harry Potter was conceived and filmed as a 2D feature, and should be shown that way.

I thought that the 3-D effect in "Up" and "Monsters vs Aliens" was very well done. For Avatar, the 3-D effects greatly overshadowed the movie. Now it appears that Hollywood is now jumping on 3-D as a gimmick, which may spell the end of the latest 3-D craze (which is a shame).
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallendo View Post
To me, Harry Potter was conceived and filmed as a 2D feature, and should be shown that way.

I thought that the 3-D effect in "Up" and "Monsters vs Aliens" was very well done. For Avatar, the 3-D effects greatly overshadowed the movie. Now it appears that Hollywood is now jumping on 3-D as a gimmick, which may spell the end of the latest 3-D craze (which is a shame).

I agree I would hate to see the half blood prince in 3D, films should be watched how it was intended to be seen. If you want to have a 3D film it should be shot in 3D or be the directors intention to convert it (alice in wonderland).
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I'll remind myself to go to the 35mm showing for the Deathly Hallows instead of the 3d showings. I liked The Half Blood prince, much more focused and linear than previous The Order of the Phoenix.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Hollywood is so predictable. This remind's me of ten years ago after The Matrix came out and suddendly all action/fight scenes were done in ultra super duper slow motion and camera movements cause "it was so popular in The Matrix, people love it!" I kept expecting to see stuff like that in a Woody Allen movie at one point he's probably the only director who did not do it.

Now it's all going to be 3D "look at the numbers, people love 3D!" until the next douzen movies turn into 3D fail at the box office in a terrible way. Let's move on to the next thing everyone.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Special Member

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I agree I would hate to see the half blood prince in 3D, films should be watched how it was intended to be seen. If you want to have a 3D film it should be shot in 3D or be the directors intention to convert it (alice in wonderland).
The released of a version of the half blood prince with the first 15 mins in 3D at IMAX theaters. I saw it, the 3D was just as good as anything in Avatar.

I don't know why people whine and complain about 3D it's not like they don't release 2D versions of these films in theaters as well. They do the 3D because IMAX tickets go for $15+ a ticket and they never do matinee pricing so that is where the money is at. Avatar wouldn't have topped $500 million if it wasn't for the IMAX 3D version.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:

Isn't that what avatar was trying to do, change the way we see films!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

And it begins...

Quote:
Also forgot to add that I don't think they shot these in 3D like Avatar did, but rather are adding it after which I don't know how that will affect the quality of it's use.
Yep, they'll be converted into 3D should it definitely happen.

As long as my theater gets the 2D versions of movies I want to see that get converted into 3D I'll be fine.

But they only got the 3D Avatar and not 2D, so it kind of worries me
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:

Tight avatar man! Got Em!!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Freaking Avatar. That sit did not feel good on my eyes at all, and I am so not looking forward to a whole slew of movies trying to cash in on the trend (these two, in particular, weren't even shot in 3D to begin with, so they'll have to be converted). Hopefully there will be some 2D versions available, or I'll have to wait for Blu-ray and hope they have both versions on the disc.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-28-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweda View Post
The released of a version of the half blood prince with the first 15 mins in 3D at IMAX theaters. I saw it, the 3D was just as good as anything in Avatar.

I don't know why people whine and complain about 3D it's not like they don't release 2D versions of these films in theaters as well. They do the 3D because IMAX tickets go for $15+ a ticket and they never do matinee pricing so that is where the money is at. Avatar wouldn't have topped $500 million if it wasn't for the IMAX 3D version.
All 2d to 3d converted footage I have seen looks like cardboard cutouts (I did see those 15 minutes of HP6 in 3d, and thought they where very sub par compared to something actually filmed in 3d). The adds I have seen of alice in wonderland look like the same cardboard cut out problem I have with material converted from 2d to 3d. I'm sure many wont notice or will not care, but I can't imagine how someone who apreciates the quaity of blu over dvd wouldn't at the very least notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
Freaking Avatar. That sit did not feel good on my eyes at all, and I am so not looking forward to a whole slew of movies trying to cash in on the trend (these two, in particular, weren't even shot in 3D to begin with, so they'll have to be converted). Hopefully there will be some 2D versions available, or I'll have to wait for Blu-ray and hope they have both versions on the disc.
Don't worry 2d versions will be available and thats how I intend to see them. I should add i'm a big supporter of 3d, but only when it was intended (which in these cases it was not).

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 01-29-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies