Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Shin Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$10.39

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$71.54

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.24

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$7.97

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #41

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by israels View Post
Sorry Ken81, this is the dub on the disc: https://streamable.com/c4c1h
Thanks for checking. What a bummer that is, I was hoping at least they used the original English dub to justify my purchase of it in addition to the movies having Norwegian subs. But now I really have to reconsider. Something tells me that it is Fortune Star that has played a trick on them on this one. Either they said the original Canto tracks are not available or they charge an insane price for those tracks. Since they sell the boxset for only about US$ 20, it might also be that they dont want to pay for the original tracks, as they won't make a profit on the cheap seling price. Or another theory, they are just plain ignorant distributor
Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #42
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken81 View Post
Or another theory, they are just plain ignorant distributor
My money is on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Monkey View Post
The Fortune Star copyright screens at the end of the movies state "2010, 2017", except Battle Creek Brawl has only "2010", Armour of God has "2010, 2015", and Police Story 2 has "2010, 2018". (I haven't checked AOG2 yet)
And Armour of God 2 is "2010, 2018", so it is very new restoration! Can't wait Eureka releasing AOG box.
Thanks given by:
utopia (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #43

Jan 2013

Quote:
And Armour of God 2 is "2010, 2018", so it is very new restoration! Can't wait Eureka releasing AOG box.
So Armour of God 2 is the full uncut HK version in true HD? Better video quality than the old HK Kam&Ronson bluray? Some people claimed the old HK bluray is true HD, but I was never convinced. Do you know which English dub is used on AOG2? I have never heard any other newer English dub for the uncut HK version than the one that Golden Harvest originally produced..
Old 10-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #44
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Yes it is, true HD, better than the K&R. Although, it's slightly cropped compared to the K&R upscale, like the new AOG1 is too.

I have no idea about dubs, never have cared about those and I can't tell which is new or old or what. But, I posted this couple of days ago:

Quote:
On another forum somebody posted that the AOG2 is the longer HK cut with new horrible dubbing, not the original with Jackie Chan himself dubbing.
I have a horrible headache now, I have to postpone taking screencaps and comparing PQ for the rest of the 4 titles. PS1+2 and AOG1+2 screencaps come later.
Thanks given by:
israels (10-09-2018), Ken81 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #45
Expert Member

Jan 2013

For some reason both PS movies are slightly windowboxed. Comparing to Eureka release, Less grain, worse encoding.

Police Story:

Police Story 2:

Thanks given by:
hiraeth (06-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #46
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Armour of God

This time screencaps with comparison to UK Mediumrare release (site didn't work if I tried to add both comparisons to same page):

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122155
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122156

UK Mediumrare is in wrong 1.78:1 aspect ratio, Nordic release is in original 1.85:1 and thus top and bottom is cropped but more picture in the sides. Mediumrare is slightly brighter.
Thanks given by:
hiraeth (06-11-2019), israels (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #47
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Armour of God 2

Comparisons to HK Kam & Ronson upscale:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122157
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122158
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122159

Different framing, stretching(? OAR?), better colors in the new master.
Thanks given by:
israels (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #48

Jan 2013

Quote:
Armour of God 2

Comparisons to HK Kam & Ronson upscale:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122157
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122158
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122159

Different framing, stretching(? OAR?), better colors in the new master.
Nice screenshots, thanks. The new remaster doesn't look bad at all. Maybe worth picking this boxset up after all
Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #49
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Dunno about that, there's so much wrong & errors with this release, maybe if one is hellbent on getting the subtitles, correction, dubtitles. I'm selling mine right away. I have Eureka PS and upcoming P:A, waiting better releases for AOG, Wheels on Meals and Battle Creek Brawl.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #50

Jan 2013

So I ended up buying the boxset anyway With a special membership discount at my local retail store and an additional 30% discount on top of that, I ended up at about US$16 for the boxset. So 2 bucks for each bluray..well that's quite a bargain for me

Since Magic Monkey has provided screenshots already for most of the movies, which is awesome btw, I thought I'd contribute by telling about the audio tracks.

As I expected, Operation Condor has the original English export dub, that was also used on the UK Mediumrare bluray a couple of years ago. Luckily there are no added sound effects, so you get the full glory of the old classic dub with all the HK fighting sounds and music..yeaahhh Even though the newer Dimension English dub has JC dubbing his voice, the music and fight sounds were altered on that version, so I would prefer this old English dub in the absence of the original Cantonese track.

Also, Project A part 1 has the original English dub as well. But this is the same remix that was used on the old HKL platinum dvd. In other words, muffled sound and music, and also some music out of synch during the final fight.
If some people got a little annoyed by the darkish picture that affected Eureka's Police Story 1, beware, both Project A movies also look similar.. I assume that Eureka will be using the same 2k print, and I doubt if better encoding can change the darkish picture, unless Eureka actually corrects the colour and brightness of the print..

As israels checked, Wheels on Meals has the new dreadful English dub with the inferior soundtrack of the HK version, crap in other words. But really nice remastered print on this one. Looking forward to seeing the Eureka treatment of this piece.

The rest of the movies on the boxset have the terrible new English dubs, besides Battle Creek Brawl of course. But that one got some awfully added sound effects during the intro credits, so I believe the rest of the movie also has those crappy added FS sound effects.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #51
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Since Magic Monkey has provided screenshots already for most of the movies
I did all 8 of them, did you miss some?

Quote:
As I expected, Operation Condor has the original English export dub, that was also used on the UK Mediumrare bluray a couple of years ago. Luckily there are no added sound effects, so you get the full glory of the old classic dub with all the HK fighting sounds and music..yeaahhh Even though the newer Dimension English dub has JC dubbing his voice, the music and fight sounds were altered on that version, so I would prefer this old English dub in the absence of the original Cantonese track.
Now I got confused. Like I posted earlier, in some other forum somebody said that AOG2 has the new horrible dub, and that the older/original one has JC dubbing.

Quote:
If some people got a little annoyed by the darkish picture that affected Eureka's Police Story 1, beware, both Project A movies also look similar.. I assume that Eureka will be using the same 2k print, and I doubt if better encoding can change the darkish picture, unless Eureka actually corrects the colour and brightness of the print..
Like with Police Story, probably not going to happen, FS doesn't seem to allow modifications, at least not for 4K masters.

Are there something wrong with the colors in the P:A movies? One has to remember that Police Story movies were 4K restorations by Ritrovata, rest of the restorations are 2K and most probably done by somebody else. There's distinct piss-yellow problem in the 4K PS, typical for Ritrovata, but I didn't see the same problem with P:A or City Hunter, or rest of the 2K restorations.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #52

Jan 2013
Talking

Quote:
I did all 8 of them, did you miss some?

Now I got confused. Like I posted earlier, in some other forum somebody said that AOG2 has the new horrible dub, and that the older/original one has JC dubbing.

Like with Police Story, probably not going to happen, FS doesn't seem to allow modifications, at least not for 4K masters.

Are there something wrong with the colors in the P:A movies? One has to remember that Police Story movies were 4K restorations by Ritrovata, rest of the restorations are 2K and most probably done by somebody else. There's distinct piss-yellow problem in the 4K PS, typical for Ritrovata, but I didn't see the same problem with P:A or City Hunter, or rest of the 2K restorations.
Ah sure you did all 8 of them, my bad

As far as I know there are two English dubs of AOG2. One is the old dub from the 90s made by Golden Harvest, which was for the full uncut HK version. Then later in late 90s, Dimension bought the rights to the movie, shortened it down and re-scored the soundtrack, got rid of the classoc HK fight sounds and got Jackie Chan to dub that version. This boxset has the old English dub, and in my opinion it is not bad at all. It's got its charms in many scenes, for instance the 'condom and good sleep' dialogues if people are familiar with that scene hehe

I didn't notice any yellow tint on Project A movies either, only the darker picture that was quite similar to what people complained about on PS1. But overall, they are not bad at all.
Thanks given by:
israels (10-11-2018), Magic Monkey (10-10-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Well... guess I should finally jump in here, lol.

I'm pleasantly surprised about the new 2K restoration of AOG2, as there was no evidence of it anywhere else (no "restored trailer" on YouTube, no posters promoting it at film marts, etc), and it definitely looks leaps and bounds over the upscale. Of course, it'll be interesting to see how the encoding looks when a company that knows how to handle it gets ahold of the master **slowly looks over at Eureka**

As for Battle Creek Brawl... ehhh... at least it's not an upscale? Definitely seems mastered when they were first trying to create true 2K masters and when they seemed to lean heavier on DNR (see Story of Ricky and Armour of God as well), although BCB has rarely been a good looking film to begin with. And of course, if the screencaps of Police Story are anything to go by, it may also be exacerbated by encoding. Even in the first 2K/4K restoration reel Fortune Star put out last year, BCB seemed a bit soft... I initially chalked it up to YouTube encoding, but it may be inherent with the master. Eh, let's be honest, BCB isn't exactly a Chan film people will be crying much about if blu-rays aren't perfect... of course, mono over 5.1/7.1 please, lol.

As for the others, Wheels on Meals looks rather good, so hopefully someone will snag that as well **slowly looks, even less subtly, over at Eureka** And the Project A films show damn good promise for the eventual UK release.

As for Armour of God, gotta respect the minor "tweak" to 1.85. Not just a straight "matte and call it a day", but a smidge of extra info on the left and right sides as well. While Eureka may take their time with an updated release of AOG thanks to the hard to find Medium Rare "release", perhaps bundling it in a two pack with the new restoration of AOG2 would be a good move.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #54

May 2015

Plase more Armour of God

screenshots
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #55

Jan 2013

Noticed one thing regarding the Armour of God 2 (Operation Condor) in this boxset. The scene in the hotel where Dodo Cheng's character is showering, in this one we get the close shot of her back. In the HK and Mediumrare blu-rays (also the old IVL DVD), we get an alternate shot of her entire naked body (body double?) from behind. Hm, wonder why they reverted back to this version when doing the 2k remaster. I remember this was an issue during the early dvd releases of the movie, then IVL released the "uncut" version on DVD. And now..back to square zero on this scene. The body double got a nice back body, so wouldn't mind really to see a true HD shot of it, but ah well.

EDIT: On the US bluray, the Dimension version does have the uncut back body shot of Dodo, so at least there is a HD source of the scene out there.

Last edited by Ken81; 10-12-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #56

Jun 2011
Denmark

Bought this box yesterday and so far I've watched the two AoG movies. My PS4 tells me both discs are MPEG 2, and the first movie looks okay, and could easily be a MPEG 2 codec. AoG 2 looks very good and is also MPEG 2. But isn't this supposed to be a 2K remaster? Seems a bit strange to encode it in MPEG 2 then. But the movie looks very good, so maybe my PS4 reads the codec wrong?

EDIT: Saw the post further back that all the movies are MPEG 2. Just a strange codec to still be using today I think.

Last edited by LSK; 11-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Thanks given by:
FlixLov3r (11-21-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #57
Expert Member

Jan 2013

What does 2K remaster matter in what encoder is used? AFAIK, mpeg2 encode doesn't matter if the bitrate is high enough. Though this release isn't that high bitrate. I agree that it's rare to see mpeg2 today. There's so much wrong with this release though that I'm not surprised that they used mpeg2, they even botched up the DAR on this.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #58
Power Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Here are some screen caps from Wheels On Meals.

BD Info

Code:
Disc Title: Wheels on Meals
Disc Size: 22,410,376,540 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: No
Playlist: 00000.MPLS
Size: 22,111,598,592 bytes
Length: 1:48:56.083
Total Bitrate: 27.06 Mbps
Video: MPEG-2 Video / 22992 kbps / 1080p / 24 fps
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1873 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Subtitle: Danish / 18.206 kbps
Subtitle: Norwegian / 18.822 kbps
Subtitle: Swedish / 18.517 kbps
Subtitle: Finnish / 20.349 kbps
Screen caps

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by newgen2005; 11-13-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
OldPangYau (11-17-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #59
Power Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Additional Armour Of God 2 screen caps.

BD Info
Code:
Disc Title: Armour of God 2
Disc Size: 23,506,339,004 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: No
Playlist: 00005.MPLS
Size: 22,980,642,816 bytes
Length: 1:47:04.000
Total Bitrate: 28.62 Mbps
Video: MPEG-2 Video / 24989 kbps / 1080p / 24 fps
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1826 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 224 kbps
Subtitle: Danish / 17.026 kbps
Subtitle: Norwegian / 16.142 kbps
Subtitle: Swedish / 16.412 kbps
Subtitle: Finnish / 17.491 kbps
Screen caps
[Show spoiler]

Last edited by newgen2005; 11-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
OldPangYau (11-17-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Is this edit of AOG2 the same as the Japanese theatrical extended version or just a censored version of the HK cut?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia