Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
11 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74
8 hrs ago
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
22 hrs ago
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Charley Varrick (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 02-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Apr 2018
Default Rumbly bass caused by room vibrations

I'm getting a rumbly/bloated bass on certain low bass notes that really jump out.
I've realized that about 75/80% of it is caused by a wood panel door that is virtually right next to my seating position to my right.
It's a bit hard to explain but,
The sofa is on the same wall as the door and I can just reach out my right arm and open it. Then there is about a 6/7 foot alcove to my right then a chimney breast. I'm basically sat side on to the fireplace

I made a discovery. I put my ear to the door and the bass is sort of resonating/reverberating with the door.When I open the door (open it away from me.) the rumbly bass is lessened a great deal. I can't have it open all the time though in winter as it's freezing.It leads to a hallway and kitchen and unless I have the wood burner on in the kitchen, its too cold.

My question is, would replacing the door with a solid door do the trick as this door that's on is a plain wood panel with woodchip interior, like an office door (horrible looking door btw) or is it something to do with the alcove? When I move forward so as I am level with the chimney breast there's no bloated bass at all.
Thanks given by:
THUNDERSTRUCK (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimllfaxit View Post
I'm getting a rumbly/bloated bass on certain low bass notes that really jump out.
I've realized that about 75/80% of it is caused by a wood panel door that is virtually right next to my seating position to my right.
It's a bit hard to explain but,
The sofa is on the same wall as the door and I can just reach out my right arm and open it. Then there is about a 6/7 foot alcove to my right then a chimney breast. I'm basically sat side on to the fireplace

I made a discovery. I put my ear to the door and the bass is sort of resonating/reverberating with the door.When I open the door (open it away from me.) the rumbly bass is lessened a great deal. I can't have it open all the time though in winter as it's freezing.It leads to a hallway and kitchen and unless I have the wood burner on in the kitchen, its too cold.

My question is, would replacing the door with a solid door do the trick as this door that's on is a plain wood panel with woodchip interior, like an office door (horrible looking door btw) or is it something to do with the alcove? When I move forward so as I am level with the chimney breast there's no bloated bass at all.
I had a problem with a door awhile ago, as I was experiencing something pretty similar. I thought about changing out to a heavier door, but tried some cheaper options first. I had to go through 3 handles before finding one that different vibrate. Then I read about using thin weather proofing tape on the edge of the door, so gave it a shot. It basically stopped the door from vibrating in its frame as the seal between it and the frame was very tight, which finally made my door silent. An easy test would be to place your hand on the door while it is vibrating to see if enough pressure will make it stop. If it does, then the weather stripping might help.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

Apr 2018

Thanks gotmule. I'll give it a try
Thanks given by:
gotmule (02-04-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers