Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
15 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74
13 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #41
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

they even tell you to Buy Other Sound Equipment
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #42
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

i find this funny, i just noticed in one of my source books that bose claims the freq response of the 201v bookshelf speakers is 10hz - 120khz seems a bit odd they can do that and all the other sound guys have to use high end subs and high end tweeters to get that if they even do get that
Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #43
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Ive always been leery of any company that relies on infomercials to sell its products. But thats just me.

...and goshdarnit a Subwoofer should never be referred to as a "bass module".

Last edited by crackinhedz; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
...and goshdarnit a Subwoofer should never be referred to as a "bass module".

Well calling it a subwoofer would be false advertising

There's a Bose store in the ritzy mall here in Tampa. Every once in awhile I venture in just for the hell of it. Back before I started doing any sort of research for my audio setup, I was digging the Bose systems. Now when I listen to them I can't help but laugh to myself. When I was working at Best Buy I couldn't tell you how many people thought Bose was the be-all and end-all of home theater.

Last edited by BStecke; 03-18-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #45
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

you should see the all in one guitar amp they have, they say you don't have to carry alot of pa equipment, for bass all you need is a bass module add on and if you have a band all you need is one for each member lol i call that alot of pa gear
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #46

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
Well calling it a subwoofer would be false advertising

There's a Bose store in the ritzy mall here in Tampa. Every once in awhile I venture in just for the hell of it. Back before I started doing any sort of research for my audio setup, I was digging the Bose systems. Now when I listen to them I can't help but laugh to myself. When I was working at Best Buy I couldn't tell you how many people thought Bose was the be-all and end-all of home theater.
Me too! I hated it when people came in and just wanted to hear BOSE. Someone made an excellent observation about Bose in-store displays. They all always have one setup that is all alone away from any other sound equipment. They pay BB and other stores big money for this(at least that's what my BB store manager told me, but what would he know about it ). What's funny is that most people who own Bose defend it to the death. They say things like, "Well I care more about PQ, anyway." Then why are you paying huge money for Bose? Seriously, you can spend half as much and get a better, full range system. I think the best advice is just let the Bose-lovers be and be happy in the fact that you didn't waste your money on a second-rate audio setup.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #47
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos3 View Post
I think the best advice is just let the Bose-lovers be and be happy in the fact that you didn't waste your money on a second-rate audio setup.
reminds me of the monster cable vs monoprice argument lol
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Isn't that just disgusting?
It wouldn't be if they didn't ask 1300$ for it; but since they are, yes, it's disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixS2000 View Post
At +/- 10.5 dB you can basically say they are ignoring the entire audible range!
True
Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #49
Expert Member

Sep 2007
London, UK

i was going to buy bose cubes but then i compared them to the kefs and wow what a difference (for half the price!!!) unfortunataley for people who have bought bose this wont make any difference, its a brand they think its great. simple as!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Richmond, VA PSNetwork: MacDaddyOJack Trophy Level: 12(4%)

I never liked the sound of Bose, even when I was 16. I remember being mad at my mom for spending $500 on a wave radio back then because I thought it sounded like crap. Turns out that the numbers support my feelings on the wave radio! I don't have super high-end stuff, but I know that what I have is far better than anything Bose offers at any price.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #51
Expert Member

Apr 2007
UK

Quote:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Good reading. These guys, they sure know how to make money.
It bewilders me how they sell so well that people feel the need to write pages such as that. All anyone has to do is listen to a Bose setup, and they will know how terrible it is.

I once listened to a Bose demo at a consumer electronics exhibition. It was a dedicated Bose home cinema setup, everything set up exactly how they wanted it in an isolated demo room. It sounded terrible, beyond terrible, even. I don't know how anyone could walk out of there with any thought other than to never, ever, even think about buying anything made by Bose.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #52

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

I've said it before, and I feel like it keeps falling on deaf ears, but if whatever speakers you get, bose, etc. sound good to you, GREAT. If you tell me "hey, my bose speakers sound great" I'm not gonna tell you "no they don't, they sound terrible" I may ask what other speakers you have listened to in comparison, but I'm not going to call you tone-deaf when I don't even know you.

dshelt just takes it to the extreme, and partially it's understandable, because he's taking a lot of heat from a lot of people here, but he also seems uncapable of discussing bose subjectively in a comparative manner...... Just say what other speakers/setups you've listened to, and what you liked, and disliked about those systems, and you'd be amazed at the credibility you'll gain.

Bose are very non-obtrusive, so that's a plus. They're also good for those who know little about audio, since the wiring etc. is pretty much laid out for you, and they integrate the CD player into the unit etc, and their "bass module" is passive..... it's really a decent alternative to many people. I've listened to quite a few different "accoustimas" or whatever series they had, and I do think they have a great marketing campaign...... they have these pole things (that remind me of a bow-flex) that have satellites surrounding you while you're looking at the display, and hitting the "test" buttons..... People are "wowed" mostly because that's it does give the affect of objects circling you etc....... many people never owning a 5.1 system, etc. for instance, my parents are in their 70's and they think the T.V. sound is just fine, and they have a "stereo" in a closet set up for old Records, and the occassional CD, and it's 2 channel. Obviously other floor-standing speakers etc. can't have displays set up like that in big box stores, and home-theater specialty stores don't devote the space to setting up the Cambridge soundworks, or B&W M-1's because they can use the same room to showcase speakers selling for $15,000 a piece.....

I wouldn't say "steer clear of *****" I would recommend steering clear of ANY PURCHASE without researching, and comparing to similar products on the market, whether it be speakers, receivers (yes, you should audition those, not just take the advise or people here or read amazon reviews) Televisions etc.

At the end of the day, it's your money, and if you choose to purchase something without any knowledge of your options, more power to you...... I may think it's fun to blind-buy a movie hear and there...... but $2k-$3k for speakers or a receiver would be fun to get as a blind-buy, but I can't afford to take those kind of chances.........

Last edited by Beta Man; 03-18-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

I have no problems at all telling people to steer clear of Bose.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Default I was all sold on Bose

I was all sold on Bose willing to fork out over 2 grand for there new Lifestyle or whatever they call it with Hdmi...I posted a thread about it on here and Wicky Woo post that same link, I read that article quiet a few times and then I decided to give there cutomer service a call, let just say the the guy on the phone was nice but when he was ask question's about all the new audio codecs and if there new system can handle it I got the hold please....and hold please.

The name is what sell's even up to now my wife would love to get the Bose system but I told her I can get better for cheaper.

AnD YOU CAN
Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #55
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
It wouldn't be if they didn't ask 1300$ for it; but since they are, yes, it's disgusting
exactly it would be a good system for maybe $200
Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #56
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
I was all sold on Bose willing to fork out over 2 grand for there new Lifestyle or whatever they call it with Hdmi...I posted a thread about it on here and Wicky Woo post that same link, I read that article quiet a few times and then I decided to give there cutomer service a call, let just say the the guy on the phone was nice but when he was ask question's about all the new audio codecs and if there new system can handle it I got the hold please....and hold please.

The name is what sell's even up to now my wife would love to get the Bose system but I told her I can get better for cheaper.

AnD YOU CAN
Hell's yes, you can.
The $350 5.1 JBL speakers from Best Buy will give a much more accurate representation of whatever you're putting into the speakers sevenfold over the $1,300 BOSE crap.

JBL - $370 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172882131588

30Hz - 20 kHz +/- 6dB

100w/ch, 8 Ohms.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #57
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Philly

Quote:
Hell's yes, you can.
The $350 5.1 JBL speakers from Best Buy will give a much more accurate representation of whatever you're putting into the speakers sevenfold over the $1,300 BOSE crap.

JBL - $370 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172882131588

30Hz - 20 kHz +/- 6dB

100w/ch, 8 Ohms.

Hi guys.

Nice read and I didt know that much about Bose..

and to be honest with you, I dont understand a word that you guys mentioned, such as ignoring the 80MHz? etc etc?? They are like codes and not english.

Anyway, I downloaded that "recommended" list from that article and I think I may be doign some research to find those sets.

I have little knowledge in speakers at this point and I am not exactly a speaker/audio fan right now, and I cannot afford to anyway.

I am about to buy the Bose V20 system (its like lifestyle but no DVD, just a receiver).

So, basically, I have a budget of $2K to do ALL OF THESE. And ofcourse, if I can get something that is pretty good in performance at less than $1K, I will go for it too..

I have no receiver or anything. So, if I were to getthat JBL set or any other sets, I would have to purchase a separate speaker, right?

I am basically starting from ground up. (No TV, no Blu Ray, nothing right now).

I have just bought a 52 XBR4 for $2800 and I have abou $2500 left for a PS3 and speakers.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #58
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Philly

By the way,

I am also looking at this set.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Denon...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Denon...oductDetail.do
Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #59
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
I have just bought a 52 XBR4 for $2800 and I have abou $2500 left for a PS3 and speakers.
Just to confirm, you have a budget of $2,500 and you need PS3, speakers, cabling and a receiver right?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #60
Special Member

Jan 2008

We should change the name of this site from bluray.com to ihatebose.com.I mean I think I get it but people seem to feel the need to keep justifying why its no good and keep reitterating it.Again,mine sounds good,but im sure there is alot better out there
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers