Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
15 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
17 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
19 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
13 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
Ultraman Orb (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Tell me boys,because i really don't know.What this means to you with my reciever

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...-configuration
First of all, the review is about Yamaha 2700. Your receiver is 3800. Does the power drop when you set the impedance to 6 ohm? I don't know as I have no experience with Yamha's new AV receivers. It is best to call Yamaha and ask them.

Setting your receiver to 8 ohm when you are using 4 ohm or 6 ohm speakers may not be such a great idea. Even the article in the link mentions that you need to allow for a lot of ventilation. Let us assume that the article is correct and the power drops when you set the impedance to 6 ohms. You have to play it extremely loud for it to start clipping. Unfortunately, I can't get any detailed information from Yamaha's web site.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-28-2008 at 12:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
ozzman ozzman is offline
Power Member
 
ozzman's Avatar
 
May 2008
St. Catharines ONT
37
Default

Thanks BigDaddy I actually found it on a 3800 forum and someone put that thread up .

The forum is on the Yamaha 1800 and 3800 .
Every time someone talks about useing 6ohm speakers or 4 ohms speaker members always go back to this review on the 2700

It's the model previously before the 3800 came out .The 2700 specs are close to the 3800 with the 3800 having more features.
The review was done in 2007.8 months later the 3800 came out

I posted it because iam someone that likes to ask questions and get all the facts that i can about my equipment.


Knowledge is power and i think iam lacking in both

Your still the man in my book Brother.
I have it set still at 6ohms until i can find solid proof from Yamaha about the 3800 .

Remember this gentleman said to leave it at 8ohms even when you are using 4omhs speakers ?
That leaves a bad taste in my mouth !

If you find anything (Facts) about the 3800 and ohms that you think i should know or would help me please get back to me ,i would appreciate it .
But for now it stays where it is.

Your friend Ozzman

Last edited by ozzman; 11-29-2008 at 12:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #23
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Thanks BigDaddy I actually found it on a 3800 forum and someone put that thread up .
The forum is on the Yamaha 1800 and 3800 .
Every time someone talks about useing 6ohm speakers or 4 ohms speaker members always go back to this review on the 2700
It's the model previously before the 3800 came out .The 2700 specs are close to the 3800 with the 3800 having more features.
The review was done in 2007.8 months later the 3800 came out
I posted it because iam someone that likes to ask questions and get all the facts that i can about my equipment.
Knowledge is power and i think iam lacking in both
Your still the man in my book Brother.
I have it set still at 6ohms until i can find solid proof from Yamaha about the 3800 .
Remember this gentleman said to leave it at 8ohms even when you are using 4omhs speakers ?
That leaves a bad taste in my mouth !
If you find anything (Facts) about the 3800 and ohms that you think i should know or would help me please get back to me ,i would appreciate it .
But for now it stays where it is.
Your friend Ozzman
I don't really care what Audioholic says. I go by what the manufacturer recommends. In case, something goes wrong, Yamaha is responsible. If you don't follow their instructions, they will blame you if something goes wrong.

FAQ page of Yamaha Web site.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/faq/faqdet...2&CTID=5009135
Can I use 4 ohm speakers on my Yamaha AV receiver?
Yes, many Yamaha AV receivers are stable down to, but not below 4 ohms. We recommend that you use only speakers with a minimum of 4 ohms. Also, please make sure that the impedance selector switch is set to the correct position as recommended by the owner's manual.

Page 15, Manual:
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Receive...800_Manual.pdf
If you are to use 6-ohm speakers, be sure to set “SPEAKER IMP.” to “6ΩMIN” before using this unit (see
page 33). You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers (see page 122).

Page 33 of the Manual has detailed instructions on how to change the impedance:
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Receive...800_Manual.pdf
Caution
If you are to use 6-ohm speakers, set “SPEAKER IMP.” to “6ΩMIN” as follows BEFORE using this unit. You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers.

Page 122, Manual:
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Receive...800_Manual.pdf
Speaker impedance SPEAKER IMP.
Use this feature to set the speaker impedance of this unit so that it matches that of your speakers.
Choices: 8ΩMIN, 6ΩMIN
• Select “8ΩMIN” to set the speaker impedance to 8 Ω.
• Select “6ΩMIN” to set the speaker impedance to 6 Ω.

8Ω Setting
Front
The impedance of each speaker must be 8 Ω or higher.
Center, Surround, Surround Back
The impedance of each speaker must be 8 Ω or higher.

6Ω Setting
Front
The impedance of each speaker must be 4 Ω or higher.
Center, Surround, Surround Back
The impedance of each speaker must be 6 Ω or higher.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
ozzman ozzman is offline
Power Member
 
ozzman's Avatar
 
May 2008
St. Catharines ONT
37
Default

That is a valid point.The manual is always the bible (and i know that).

Misinformation goes around a lot on the net.
I can't see why Yamaha would give bad information on there units.It just doesn't make sense?

Like i said i never noticed any lack of power ,sound,anything.It still sounds the same to me at 6ohms setting?

Thanks for all your effords and down the road i belive my receiver will thank you as well
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #25
ozzman ozzman is offline
Power Member
 
ozzman's Avatar
 
May 2008
St. Catharines ONT
37
Default

I have another question maybe someone can enlighten me.This is a really stupid question or a smart one (iam think stupid) but here it goes

My front mirage speakers are
6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum

Here's my question are every 8ohm nominal speaker,6 ohm minimun .
Or does it not work that way?
I hope this isn't a silly question

(you have to admit Bigdaddy iam really working your sticky)

Last edited by ozzman; 11-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #26
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
I have another question maybe someone can enlighten me.This is a really stupid question or a smart one (iam think stupid) but here it goes

My front mirage speakers are
6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum

Here's my question are every 8ohm nominal speaker,6 ohm minimun .
Or does it not work that way?
I hope this isn't a silly question
No, every speaker is different. In fact, two identical speakers from the same manufacturer may have slightly different results.

Quote:
(you have to admit Bigdaddy iam really working your sticky)
If I received 5 cents for ever question you asked, I would be a rich man. Maybe, I'll be able to afford a pair of PSB Synchrony speakers for my bedroom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #27
richteer richteer is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
richteer's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
1
Send a message via AIM to richteer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
If I received 5 cents for ever question you asked, I would be a rich man. Maybe, I'll be able to afford a pair of PSB Synchrony speakers for my bedroom.
I tried the Synchrony 2s, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Even compared to the Reference 3a Veena, they sounded awful. They got a good review in TAS a year or two ago, but if the pair I borrowed was representative, I have no idea why!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #28
ozzman ozzman is offline
Power Member
 
ozzman's Avatar
 
May 2008
St. Catharines ONT
37
Default

Checks in the mail LOL,But you might have to wait till iam finished with my system,How old are you

Last edited by ozzman; 11-29-2008 at 11:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #29
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
I tried the Synchrony 2s, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Even compared to the Reference 3a Veena, they sounded awful. They got a good review in TAS a year or two ago, but if the pair I borrowed was representative, I have no idea why!
Actually, I really want the PSB Platinum T8. The list price is $7,000 and this Southern California dealer is selling them for $3,799.
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #30
demazi demazi is offline
Member
 
demazi's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Melbourne, Australia
6
Default

OK people i just got my Rb-1080 and my Dali concept 10's on the way do i set my receiver as 6 ohm(rx-v663)? or do i leave as 8 ohm i will be adding concept center and concept 6(this are both 8 ohm) shortly after my 10's?

thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #31
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demazi View Post
OK people i just got my Rb-1080 and my Dali concept 10's on the way do i set my receiver as 6 ohm(rx-v663)? or do i leave as 8 ohm i will be adding concept center and concept 6(this are both 8 ohm) shortly after my 10's?

thanks in advance
If the Dali speakers are rated 4 Ohms, then set the receiver to 6 Ohm. However, I encourage you to consult the manual of the receiver. Each receiver is different and there are no general rules.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #32
noisuf noisuf is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2009
Default

Hi Big Daddy,

I have the same receiver as Ozzman.

I changed the speaker impedance setting to 6 ohms from 8 ohms as my fronts and center are rated at 6 ohms and my surrounds are rated at 8 ohms.

I did a comparison in volume before and after using a SPL meter and notice that there is no difference. Is this what you would expect? I would have thought that there would be a slight change due to speaker impedance setting change?

Cheers.

Last edited by noisuf; 01-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #33
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisuf View Post
Hi Big Daddy,

I have the same receiver as Ozzman.

I changed the speaker impedance setting to 6 ohms from 8 ohms as my fronts and center are rated at 6 ohms and my surrounds are rated at 8 ohms.

I did a comparison in volume before and after using a SPL meter and notice that there is no difference. Is this what you would expect? I would have thought that there would be a slight change due to speaker impedance setting change?

Cheers.
Yes, it is not surprising that the SPL did not change. By setting the receiver to 6 ohm, you are protecting the receiver from possible damage from over-heating. You are not increasing the volume.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #34
noisuf noisuf is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2009
Default

Thanks Big Daddy, I was dreading having to re-calibrate again. No need to now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #35
GoodToGo GoodToGo is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2008
415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Yes, it is not surprising that the SPL did not change. By setting the receiver to 6 ohm, you are protecting the receiver from possible damage from over-heating. You are not increasing the volume.
Shouldn't the receiver automatically change the current it sends out if you change the impedance?

BTW very informative article If you could explain distortion factor, that would be awesome
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #36
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToGo View Post
Shouldn't the receiver automatically change the current it sends out if you change the impedance?

BTW very informative article If you could explain distortion factor, that would be awesome
If you just change the impedance setting on the receiver from 8 ohms to 6 ohms without changing speakers, I believe the receiver only controls its own behavior so that to protect itself. I am sure each receiver is different and it all depends on the manufacturing company.

As soon as I get some time, I will deal with distortion factor. I need to eat, sleep, and have fun every once in a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #37
gamer2600 gamer2600 is offline
Active Member
 
gamer2600's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
101
7
Default

I first wanted to say that all this information is great stuff. I just had a quick question about my setup and headroom/volume.

I have the Denon 2309CI receiver and it has a rating of 6 Ohms - 16 Ohms recommended...I believe. I have a Aperion Audio 5.1 setup. I find myself having to "crank", or so it seems, (around -15 to -20 db) to get decent volume. Is that more a product of the speaker sensitivity or the ohm setting? The front channels are 6 ohm speakers, center is 6 ohms and the surrounds are 8 ohms and they all have a sensitivity rating of 84 dB except for the center speaker it has 86 dB.

I have all speakers crossover at 80 Hz even the sub and they are set to small. I was just wondering were is the headroom? Like I said it normally depends on the source but I am normally in that -15 to -20 dB range.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #38
gamer2600 gamer2600 is offline
Active Member
 
gamer2600's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
101
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer2600 View Post
I first wanted to say that all this information is great stuff. I just had a quick question about my setup and headroom/volume.

I have the Denon 2309CI receiver and it has a rating of 6 Ohms - 16 Ohms recommended...I believe. I have a Aperion Audio 5.1 setup. I find myself having to "crank", or so it seems, (around -15 to -20 db) to get decent volume. Is that more a product of the speaker sensitivity or the ohm setting? The front channels are 6 ohm speakers, center is 6 ohms and the surrounds are 8 ohms and they all have a sensitivity rating of 84 dB except for the center speaker it has 86 dB.

I have all speakers crossover at 80 Hz even the sub and they are set to small. I was just wondering were is the headroom? Like I said it normally depends on the source but I am normally in that -15 to -20 dB range.

Thanks
Just a quick addition...would it matter if all the speakers were the same Ohms...volume/headroom wise?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #39
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer2600 View Post
I first wanted to say that all this information is great stuff. I just had a quick question about my setup and headroom/volume.

I have the Denon 2309CI receiver and it has a rating of 6 Ohms - 16 Ohms recommended...I believe. I have a Aperion Audio 5.1 setup. I find myself having to "crank", or so it seems, (around -15 to -20 db) to get decent volume. Is that more a product of the speaker sensitivity or the ohm setting? The front channels are 6 ohm speakers, center is 6 ohms and the surrounds are 8 ohms and they all have a sensitivity rating of 84 dB except for the center speaker it has 86 dB.

I have all speakers crossover at 80 Hz even the sub and they are set to small. I was just wondering were is the headroom? Like I said it normally depends on the source but I am normally in that -15 to -20 dB range.

Thanks
I don't see any problems. Your speakers have low sensitivity. That has more to do with volume. Just turn the volume up to a level that is comfortable without blowing your ears or your speakers.

If some of the speakers are 6 ohm and your receiver has an option to change impedance, make sure to set the receiver's option to 6 ohm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #40
Jmobie Jmobie is offline
Active Member
 
Jmobie's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Chicago, IL
213
Default

Wow. This is a great and informative thread. I just purchased the Yamaha RX-V663, and already have two fronts with 6 ohms and the three other channels are 8 ohms. It looks like my min impedance setting would need to be 6 ohms.

Thanks for all the great posts.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Speaker sensitivity Speakers browndk26 12 09-28-2009 03:50 AM
Will Bi-Wiring lower the impedance of my speaker? Speakers I Bleed Blu 3 01-29-2009 01:17 AM
Speaker Impedance with Reciever Receivers Snpbond 5 11-24-2008 12:48 PM
Speaker Impedance... Speakers KayaM 7 08-05-2008 03:20 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.