Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Awful Truth (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate ‘A Simple Favor’!
1 Star 0 0%
2 Stars 0 0%
3 Stars 6 20.69%
4 Stars 19 65.52%
5 Stars 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #141
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
I think it's the fact that half votes aren't an option. Many 3.5 and 4.5 films get rounded up or down to become a 4.
This is why I always use the five-star rating system, or else the Entertainment Weekly "grade" system (A to F). There's a big difference between a movie getting three stars or four, and the half-grade is very useful for those.
"First, ye rubs somethin' furry t'builds up a charge...then ye picks yer target...!"
Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #142
Power Member

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I think it's the fact that half votes aren't an option. Many 3.5 and 4.5 films get rounded up or down to become a 4.
Well that was certainly the case for me. 3.5 rounded up to 4 because I thought it deserved better than just a 3.
Thanks given by:
jacobsever (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #143
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
"Only one of those is a twist"

Proceeds to list two separate things.

It's one thing.
[Show spoiler]Her being alive and having a twin are connected. She is alive because her twin is dead. That's the reveal/twist.

People on this board think anything that is surprising is a twist these days.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #144
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
When you return, be sure to come back and give it 4 stars
Done. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #145
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxFX View Post
It's one thing.
[Show spoiler]Her being alive and having a twin are connected. She is alive because her twin is dead. That's the reveal/twist.

People on this board think anything that is surprising is a twist these days.
I mean, yeah.

A twist is when something surprising that the audience doesn't already know about.

I don't know what definition of "twist" you're using is.
Resident Horror Snob
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #146
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

To be fair, a twist is anything that alters the trajectory of the narrative, there’s nothing really need about it being surprising, it’s just the case the best ones are.
"Film lovers are sick people." - François Truffaut
[FADE TO BLACK]
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #147
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

If I had a problem with the movie, it's that Blake Lively is SO GOOD (and hilarious), the movie suffers whenever she's not in it.

So much fun. I had a great time.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #148

Oct 2017

I thought it was this generation's Wild Things, but I thought Wild Things worked better as a pure drama instead of Simple Favor's comedy/drama. Also the last few minutes was a hot mess.

Anna Kendrick did an amazing job with her character although I couldn't disagree with anyone who thought Blake Lively stole the show. Great performances by both. After two movies, I'm ready to say Henry Golding is a boring actor.

3.5/5 rounding up to 4
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #149
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicreplicant View Post
I thought it was this generation's Wild Things, but I thought Wild Things worked better as a pure drama instead of Simple Favor's comedy/drama. Also the last few minutes was a hot mess.

Anna Kendrick did an amazing job with her character although I couldn't disagree with anyone who thought Blake Lively stole the show. Great performances by both. After two movies, I'm ready to say Henry Golding is a boring actor.

3.5/5 rounding up to 4
I was too busy with hearts in my eyes looking at him to rate his acting skills. Put him in 20 more movies and I'll decide.
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #150

Oct 2011
Quincy, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
… The film is very funny in spots, and anchored by a pair of terrific performances from Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick (the human chipmunk)..., .
OMG! Thank you for finally putting into words for me the quality about Kendrick that has always annoyed me and prevents me from completely liking her! I mean, if we were stranded on a desert island, I would't kick her out of my hut for eatin' coconuts, but I'd hate myself later.

I saw this at a surprisingly well-attended (considering it wasn't $5 Tuesday) afternoon show yesterday. Too much Kendrick, not enough Lively for me, but overall better than I was expecting from the previews. Funnier than I was expecting, but not straight out comedy. Really enjoyed the source music--rare praise from me, I'm more of an original score guy. Kudos to the filmmakers for putting some genuine effort into the Main Title/end credits sequences--reminded me of something from the 1960s. If I ever purchased this, it would have to be a Black Friday/bargain bin type discount (unless there's some sort of 3D lenticular cover featuring Blake Lively ).

Overall score 3.5, which I am rounding DOWN to 3 for the poll, because I just can't justify giving this 4 stars. It's good, but it's not THAT good.
--Reality is for people who can't handle STAR TREK.
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #151
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoFan View Post
OMG! Thank you for finally putting into words for me the quality about Kendrick that has always annoyed me and prevents me from completely liking her! I mean, if we were stranded on a desert island, I would't kick her out of my hut for eatin' coconuts, but I'd hate myself later.
This is why I love Kendrick...she's positively adorable, like a cute l'il chipmunk. Plus, she has those big teeth.
"First, ye rubs somethin' furry t'builds up a charge...then ye picks yer target...!"
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #152

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
This is why I love Kendrick...she's positively adorable, like a cute l'il chipmunk. Plus, she has those big teeth.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies