Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 day ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.99
8 hrs ago
Dune 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.30

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.27
17 hrs ago
In the Heart of the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.01

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Maze 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.29
1 day ago
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.49

IMAX: Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.40
18 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.10

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #1

Mar 2011
Texas
Universal Studios Immortals 3D Blu-ray (2011) [Region Locked / Free]

Immortals was released on 3D Blu-ray worldwide. The UK version is quite clumsily censored so should be avoided, and the same is true of the Italian version. The US, Australian, Japanese and Scandinavian versions are uncut. Just be careful of region locking, as while it was released region free in Japan and Australia, it was region locked in the US and Scandinavia).

Immortals 3D Blu-ray

Immortals 3D Blu-ray Review

Original post:

OK, maybe it's a bit early to discuss the 3DBD release since it's still at the theaters, but here's hoping I haven't actually seen it yet, anyone else? The reviews make it sound beautiful but shallow on storyline. I can live with that Like 300, I'm sure I'll have to go watch it by myself because it's not going to interest my wife or kids. 300 was the first movie I've seen alone in probably 20 years, LOL!

Last edited by the13thman; 03-31-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added censorship info
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

I am interested as well. I would like to know if this is a 3D live-action post-conversion (what a mouthful) that looks almost native. I tend to stray away from conversions except animated ones. From the theatrical review it seems we may have a worthy conversion on our hands.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Yes it is a bit early, threads for individual releases are supposed to be created when a release date of the blu is available
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Mar 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
I am interested as well. I would like to know if this is a 3D live-action post-conversion (what a mouthful) that looks almost native. I tend to stray away from conversions except animated ones. From the theatrical review it seems we may have a worthy conversion on our hands.
Apparently it was a post-production conversion, but like you said, based on the reviews it sounds like it was well-done. I always find it humorous when movies like this get horrible critical reviews while also getting really good "average Joe" reviews!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

Mar 2008

Its from Sony, so I expect a 3D Blu-ray Day and Date with the regular release. Looking forward to this one, looks like a stunner.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWright View Post
OK, maybe it's a bit early to discuss the 3DBD release since it's still at the theaters, but here's hoping I haven't actually seen it yet, anyone else? The reviews make it sound beautiful but shallow on storyline. I can live with that Like 300, I'm sure I'll have to go watch it by myself because it's not going to interest my wife or kids. 300 was the first movie I've seen alone in probably 20 years, LOL!
I saw Immortals 3D and it was great in both action and 3D throughout. Stephen Dorff's character was a bit out of place with his American accent set in ancient times, but other than that, it was a fun movie to watch, and the hero did a great job, along with the villain Rourke, who also seemed to have an American accent instead of trying to have an accent appropriate to that time. Overall entertaining. John Hurt was in it too.
Story of Theseus finding the bow and stopping the tyrant army. Action packed ending battle that lasted at least 30 minutes it seemed.

Most important here, the 3D was great.
3D Depth: 8/10
3D Pop: 8/10
Overall 3D: 8/10 with some 3D shots earning a 9/10.

Definitely on my 3D list of titles on Blu Ray 3D.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

And I found this to be one of, if not THE, most error-filled, sloppy conversions ever. So... YMMV, I guess?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

What were some of the errors you noticed for the 3D?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Cardboard cutouts everywhere, obvious and distracting depth errors (in
one scene Theseus' protruding chin is at the same depth as his neck even though the rest of him is converted), fairly often I could even see HALOS around items or people they've rotoscoped for the conversion. Not to mention how sometimes they try to add depth to 2D drawings or paintings, and it doesn't work out so they just give up in certain scenes. The worst and most egregious have to be the gods up on Olympus - all of them are like flat pop-ups in a (rather impressive) 3D space, complete with dark halos. Another one that particularly stands out is the chandeliers in the monastery they're so fond of showing in close-up; they're cone-shaped, and yet the top and bottom levels were put at the same depth as we look on from above.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Cardboard cutouts everywhere, obvious and distracting depth errors (in
one scene Theseus' protruding chin is at the same depth as his neck even though the rest of him is converted), fairly often I could even see HALOS around items or people they've rotoscoped for the conversion. Not to mention how sometimes they try to add depth to 2D drawings or paintings, and it doesn't work out so they just give up in certain scenes. The worst and most egregious have to be the gods up on Olympus - all of them are like flat pop-ups in a (rather impressive) 3D space, complete with dark halos. Another one that particularly stands out is the chandeliers in the monastery they're so fond of showing in close-up; they're cone-shaped, and yet the top and bottom levels were put at the same depth as we look on from above.
Lol, so Greek mythology and bad conversions go hand in hand, ey?
I am looking forward to seeing Immortals. I will pick up the Blu (can't seem to find time for cinema these days), maybe more work will be done between now and then? Probably no, so I'll set my expectations low and just enjoy it for what it's worth.
I love Clash. 3D's alright on Blu, but can't wait for Wrath and hope it will be native 3D and include some action sequences that blow the Krakan out of the water (pun intended)!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Lol, so Greek mythology and bad conversions go hand in hand, ey?
I am looking forward to seeing Immortals. I will pick up the Blu (can't seem to find time for cinema these days), maybe more work will be done between now and then? Probably no, so I'll set my expectations low and just enjoy it for what it's worth.
I love Clash. 3D's alright on Blu, but can't wait for Wrath and hope it will be native 3D and include some action sequences that blow the Krakan out of the water (pun intended)!!!
Wrath of the Titans is going to be converted. Studios just don't understand
Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #12

Aug 2008
Canada

Quote:
so Greek mythology and bad conversions go hand in hand, ey?
As a Canadian: go hand in hand, eh?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

My brother went and seen this and said the 3D wasn't all that great. I'll probably give in and pick this up when it comes out on BR but not all that thrilled for it. I'm more interested in Puss In Boots.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Wrath of the Titans is going to be converted. Studios just don't understand
I know camera rigs can be a *****, but wouldn't it be harder to convert a flat 2D image than work with a native 3D shot? Or is it remarkably more expensive to film the two images? Drive Angry didn't look like it had the budget I would expect Wrath to have...

Lol, gekke! Brisbanites are the Canadians of our continent. We also have a problem with starting a sentence with "Yeah, nah..."
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
I know camera rigs can be a *****, but wouldn't it be harder to convert a flat 2D image than work with a native 3D shot? Or is it remarkably more expensive to film the two images? Drive Angry didn't look like it had the budget I would expect Wrath to have...

Lol, gekke! Brisbanites are the Canadians of our continent. We also have a problem with starting a sentence with "Yeah, nah..."
Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a 3D documentary, was partially shot with two prosumer cameras mounted next to each other.
It certainly isn't Avatar level 3D, but it looked better than any conversion I've ever seen(well maybe except for Piranha). That was filmed by an old German man and four other crew members in a dark cave.

I really don't see why filmmakers decide to shoot in 2D first when they KNOW it most likely won't look as good as what's natively shot. They hired a new director for Wrath, and he even admitted that he chose to shoot in 2D because he likes the look of film grain. That only showed to me that either:
A. He's never used a RED camera
B. He doesn't know you can make movies look grainier digitally in post production
C. Grain may look nice, but it ruins the effect of 3D
D. All of the above.

ugh... Well there's still a bunch of natively shot 3D films releasing in the near future, like the new Spider-Man and The Hobbit
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

We also have Halloween 3D coming next year shot by the guy who did Drive Angry which looks incredible in 3D.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

UFAlien,

I hear what you're saying about the errors. When I go to see a 3D movie, first I try to enjoy the story and action, but if the movie stinks, then I'll look for errors more often if they're not immediately obvious. I thought the action was great in Immortals, being a big action fan.

Off Topic:
Even so, I still think the 3D looked really good for a probably rush job. Would you agree that Alice in Wonderland was mostly cardboard cut out 3D? Even so, I thought it popped really well in 3D.

I rather have something that pops out like flat cardboard cutouts, than have conservative 3D, kind of what Tron Legacy was (they were probably concerned about ghosting of all of the glows against the black backgrounds), and the very conservative 3D of Star Wars Episode I's trailer.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

I found the 3D in Tron and the Star Wars trailer very pleasing - it looked natural and refined. I'd rather something be subtle and well done than crappy and shoved in your face.

As for Immortals, it was decent. I didn't go looking for these flaws, they were quite obvious even as I was watching. Could it have looked worse? Of course, some of it was even impressive. But saying it looks good "for a rush job" seems silly to me. It shouldn't have BEEN a rush job. They should have done it right and done it well.

Last edited by UFAlien; 12-06-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
I found the 3D in Tron and the Star Wars trailer very pleasing - it looked natural and refined. I'd rather something be subtle and well done than crappy and shoved in your face.

As for Immortals, it was decent. I didn't go looking for these flaws, they were quite obvious even as I was watching. Could it have looked worse? Of course, some of it was even impressive. But saying it looks good "for a rush job" seems silly to me. It shouldn't have BEEN a rush job. They should have done it right and done it well.
Interesting points. I think the studio jumps on the 3D bandwagon and in an effort to meet a release date deadline, has the 3D conversion team "rush" the post 3D just to meet the deadline, so if there's a few errors, at least the film got out to theaters they probably figure.

Much like when Bethesda or any game studio releases a game, and it's full of bugs on release day. They got it out on time, but overlooked the glitches, because time is money.

-------
Post 3D from a 2D source is done to save time on the set, since few really know enough about making 3D films with 3D cameras. Paying actors costs a lot more to be patient for the 3D cameras to be set just right, than for a team to do it post production.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #20

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

looks like the UK is getting our first 3D steelbook

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00527QYZG/

Last edited by BigNickUK; 12-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies