Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96

Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
5 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Default Academy Ratio?

I'm very confused, so I figured this place was the best to ask, I know this may not be the right subforum to talk about this but I couldn't find the one on the technical details of movies, so here may be my best bet (plus it kind of has to do with Blurays). I'm aware that mostly every movie from 1932-1950 was shot in Academy Ratio (1.37:1), but when there blurays come out the aspecet ratio of them is 1.33:1. However I did not know that the original negative is 1.33:1 but is matted down to Academy after the soundtrack is added. So is the absolute technical ratio 1.33:1, and academy ratio is just a mat? Also when the bluray comes out is it cropped to 1.33:1 or 1.37:1? I'm just very confused
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Power Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that the difference between 1:33 and 1:37 is negligible. It's literally a few pixels. You'd have to compare shots side by side to tell, and it would be difficult even then.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

just as note OP there were small number of movies in the very early 1930s that were shot in widescreen formats such as the big trail which was shot in Fox Graundure 70 among others.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

Feb 2012
-

According to the Wikipedia article on "Academy Ratio", when sound on film was introduced, there was a transitional period lasting a few years.

The first phase was that there was no matting. This resulted in a narrower picture with a ratio of around 1.19:1.

However, as people were used to 1.33:1, it was decided to use a standard proposed by the Society of Motion Picture Engineers' (SMPE) of using 0.800 in by 0.600 in (20.3 mm by 15.2 mm) per frame. Basically, this kept the sound but reverted back to the 1.33:1 ratio.

However, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) wanted a further change. Of the various dimensions proposed, it was decided to use 0.825 in by 0.600 in (21.0 mm by 15.2 mm) per frame. This resulted in the 1.375:1 aspect ratio, which was then dubbed the "Academy Ratio".

The relevant section in the article then ends by saying: "All studio films shot in 35mm from 1932 to 1952 were shot in the Academy ratio."

Don't know whether that answers the question that started this thread.

[Interestingly, the article "35mm film" in Wikipedia mentions dimensions of 0.866 in by 0.630 in (22 mm by 16 mm) for Academy, which is different from the above mentioned Academy.]
Old 11-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

Where is Deciazulado? That guy knows everything about film.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Misawa, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS Channel 13:Amity View Post
just as note OP there were small number of movies in the very early 1930s that were shot in widescreen formats such as the big trail which was shot in Fox Graundure 70 among others.
I believe The Robe was the filmed in widescreen in 1953...I could be wrong here
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

Jun 2012

.825" x .602" is the Academy Standard for projection. However, the ANSI standard for cameras is a minimum aperture of .864" x 630". The maximum aperture possible is .980" x .735". The image is cropped when a married print with soundtrack is made. Cinematographers are generally most concerned with the image that will be on screen, not the image recorded on film. This is still true, as almost all films shot in 1.85 actually expose the whole 1.37 frame (studios require it).

As Charleyray1 pointed, the difference between 1.33 & 1.37 is minor. Until very recently, cinematographers never really expected their exact image to be seen intact. Between theater masking and TV overscan, there was always additional cropping expected.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

This may be a bit off topic but...
I believe when a film is transfered to 3D some of the aspect ratio is lost, so I wonder how much, of the OAR will be lost when Warner turns The Wizard Of Oz into 3D?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
I'm very confused, so I figured this place was the best to ask, I know this may not be the right subforum to talk about this but I couldn't find the one on the technical details of movies, so here may be my best bet (plus it kind of has to do with Blurays). I'm aware that mostly every movie from 1932-1950 was shot in Academy Ratio (1.37:1), but when there blurays come out the aspecet ratio of them is 1.33:1. However I did not know that the original negative is 1.33:1 but is matted down to Academy after the soundtrack is added. So is the absolute technical ratio 1.33:1, and academy ratio is just a mat? Also when the bluray comes out is it cropped to 1.33:1 or 1.37:1? I'm just very confused
It actually depends on the individual title. Some are still 1.37:1 on BD like The Maltese Falcon for example.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
Considering that Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, and most pre-1953 films are in fact 1.37:1 on blu-ray (not 1.33:1 as you state), then 1.37:1 is the proper ratio after the soundtrack is added.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Banned

Jun 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Mid-west Florida USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweezie View Post
I believe The Robe was the filmed in widescreen in 1953...I could be wrong here
You are correct. "The Robe" was the second feature filmed by Fox in the CinemaScope 2:55-1 aspect ratio (I believe I'm correct with the numbers here), but it was the first to be released. "How To Marry a Millionaire," featuring Marilyn Monroe in widescreen, was filmed first but released second.
Thus proving that Religion tops Sex in cinematic circles......at least in 1953!!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post
You are correct. "The Robe" was the second feature filmed by Fox in the CinemaScope 2:55-1 aspect ratio (I believe I'm correct with the numbers here), but it was the first to be released. "How To Marry a Millionaire," featuring Marilyn Monroe in widescreen, was filmed first but released second.
Thus proving that Religion tops Sex in cinematic circles......at least in 1953!!
Actually, not quite. The previous poster is correct in that there were a few widescreen films shot in the 1930s using Fox's 70mm "Grandeuer" process, well ahead of Cinerama/Panavision/ToddAO. One was the John Wayne western "The Big Trail" (which incedentally gets a blu-ray release this month).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/70_mm_Grandeur_film

But because the new format would require retrofitting existing theaters at some expense, and because there was a Great Depression on, the system was soon dropped.

Interestingly, when shooting "The Big Trail", they wanted to acommodate as many theaters as possible, so they shot in 35mm simultaneously, and occasionally reshot certain scenes. So there are two versions of the film, each with different angles/composition.

A similar approach was taken decades later with Pixar's "A Bug's Life", albeit post-release. When preparing the home video version, Pixar took advantage of the digital medium and re-rendered the film to allow for difference scene composition for the 4:3 release.

Last edited by thebard; 11-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post
"The Robe" was actually 2.66:1 because they used the full camera aperture, 1.33:1 (silent aperture, aka Super-35) in combination with a 2x hypergonar (anamorphic) lens. The sound was on a separate 35mm magnetic film synched with the projector:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcs1.htm
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2009

How do the home video companies know which area of the academy frame to crop? On the "Citizen Kane" blu-ray, during the "March of Time" sequence, there is a newspaper with the sub-heading "End comes for editor at his Xanadu estate of illness of month." The UK dvd shows more on the right side, and the last word of that heading is "months." Now I know it is one letter, but it slightly changes the meaning of the headline. There is a bit cropped from the right side, but the blu shows more on the left...possibly too much as you can see where the black background for the newspaper to lay on ends and you see past it. So, which is correct? Does WB center the image? Can we trust that they cropped it correctly and that the newspaper heading was cropped as much or even more in 1941?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America