Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$29.49
12 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

After War Gundam X: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
14 hrs ago
Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.83
11 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2012
South Italy
Default Do subs need power protection?

If you have a surge protector, should you make every effort to ensure the sub is also connected to it?

It'll save me some hassle if I don't need to...
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
If you have a surge protector, should you make every effort to ensure the sub is also connected to it?

It'll save me some hassle if I don't need to...

Almost all modern electronics have built in "surge" protection these days. If anyone is seriously about home protection have a "whole house" surge protector installed at the main fuse box. These are surprisingly affordable too.

Also, some "surge" protectors/power conditioners can actually shorten the life span of electronics if they limit the available current. This is particularly true with power amplifiers(sub amps too).

Going straight to the wall AC output is fine 99.9% of the time.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
Almost all modern electronics have built in "surge" protection these days.

Also, some "surge" protectors/power conditioners can actually shorten the life span of electronics if they limit the available current. This is particularly true with power amplifiers(sub amps too).

Going straight to the wall AC output is fine 99.9% of the time.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Didn't know that.
Thanks Tom, as I was about to pickup some surge protectors.

However, if there are thunderstorms in the weather forecast, I have a habit of unplugging
all my electronic gear from the wall AC outlets.

Is that a good idea or totally unnecessary?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
Didn't know that.

However, if there are thunderstorms in the weather forecast, I have a habit of unplugging

I've heard it both ways, but I like surge protection. Especially if your sub amp rests in "standby" mode a lot.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that stops lightning from frying your amp.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I've heard it both ways, but I like surge protection. Especially if your sub amp rests in "standby" mode a lot.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that stops lightning from frying your amp.
Just remember if the home takes a direct lightning strike you're going to have ridiculously large amounts of energy there. Something like 100,000 amperes and a million to a billion volts arcing all over your home looking for the paths of least resitance. All the Sat/Cable box stuff is doomed and anything connected to them. Phone lines, Lan lines, Co-ax, etc. I guess having a surge protector in line can't hurt...I'm just not sure if we can really do much to counter a direct hit.

IMO, the "whole home" application (mounted directly into the main fuse box with HUGE grounds applied just a few feet away into the yard outside) is the way to go. I had one installed maybe 10(?) years ago and it was only a couple hundred IIRC.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Surge protection, or no serge protection can prevent an act of God.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #7

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
Didn't know that.

I've been in homes hit by lightning a couple times. If something catastrophic like this happens, your surge protection is going to be worthless imo. Unplugging can't hurt but remember all of the phone, lan, and sat/cable co-ax will also kill anything connected.

Also, if the power ever goes off, try to turn everything off/disconnect the AC. The in-rush when the power comes back on can cause problems too.

That isn't to say a VERY close strike couldn't introduce a surge into your AC though. A Basic "sacrificial" surge unit is fine. Just stay away from the "conditioners" or ANYTHING that could limit the current to device.

IMO, the cheaper surge protectors are fine the $10-$20 Belkins for example.

Paying $200-$300(and more) for those big "conditioners" is a waste of money and can actually do more harm than good.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom V.; 08-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴ ©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post

Also, if the power ever goes off, try to turn everything off/disconnect the AC. The in-rush when the power comes back on can cause problems too.
Iíve had a pair of F112 Fathoms for over a decade, and theyíve just both been killed for the second time since Iíve had them. Iím pretty sure we didnít have a lightning storm and I suspect it was the power coming back on after a power outage, like you mentioned. I was asleep so couldnít unplug them.

They were both connected to a fairly new Belkin surge protector and were, yet again, the only product in our entire household that suffered...including a BK sub in the bedroom.

The capacitors were replaced with decent ones last time they were fried six years ago, as apparently JL Audio used cheapo capacitors in the first iteration of the Fathoms, but Iím not sure what the problem is this time.

Itís just really bloody annoying as now Iíve got to somehow find boxes for them and move them both down two flights of stairs, at over 52kg each(!), and get them shipped to the UK repair centre, then try and get them back up the stairs again afterwards. I donít just dread the cost of it all, I dread my back being permanently buggered in the process!!

Itís seriously made me question buying heavy, expensive subs ever again as even surge protection isnít a guarantee that they will survive.

Gutted.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #9

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post
Iíve had a pair of F112 Fathoms for over a decade, and theyíve just both been killed for the second time since Iíve had them. Iím pretty sure we didnít have a lightning storm and I suspect it was the power coming back on after a power outage, like you mentioned. I was asleep so couldnít unplug them.

They were both connected to a fairly new Belkin surge protector and were, yet again, the only product in our entire household that suffered...including a BK sub in the bedroom.

The capacitors were replaced with decent ones last time they were fried six years ago, as apparently JL Audio used cheapo capacitors in the first iteration of the Fathoms, but Iím not sure what the problem is this time.

Itís just really bloody annoying as now Iíve got to somehow find boxes for them and move them both down two flights of stairs, at over 52kg each(!), and get them shipped to the UK repair centre, then try and get them back up the stairs again afterwards. I donít just dread the cost of it all, I dread my back being permanently buggered in the process!!

Itís seriously made me question buying heavy, expensive subs ever again as even surge protection isnít a guarantee that they will survive.

Gutted.
That sucks to hear about your Fathoms. Personally, I unplug my subs when not in use, as that is the best way to prevent spikes and such. I also donít want to limit any current going to them and a lot of surge protectors will do exactly that. Never downgrade your subs unless absolutely necessary, as you will miss the effect if you do settle.
Thanks given by:
THE_FORCE (10-29-2019)
Old 08-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #10

Aug 2014
Waterville, Ohio

From my understanding surge protection comes in 2 flavors, sacrificial elements (generic Walmart) or non sacrificial elements (Furman etc.). I've been told the sacrificial element protectors only last about 5-7 years depending on the region you live in, before they are no better than an extension cord. I lost an amp on a cheap surge protector but have never had any issues with my Furman's. I'm not sure if it's luck or if they really make a difference.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I add surge protection to the main equipment, though the sub is hived off on it's own power elsewhere by necessity and I don't bother. In my experience, the way a sub works faulty SPDIF cables are more likely to blow something in the sub. The loud bang the subs make when the connection is faulty is worrying. It didn't break mine when it happened but I'm surprised it didn't do damage.

My fuse box is a new one as well due to a lot of renovations in the house which gives me added peace of mind. The individual switches are designed to be softly self-sacrificial, they'll blow first but find the issue and switch it back on.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers