Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Fatal Attraction 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Voyage Into Space (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
1883: A Yellowstone Origin Story (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.76

The Bob's Burgers Movie (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project, No. 4 (Blu-ray)
$98.99
2 hrs ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Addams Family 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Everything Everywhere All At Once (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Real Genius 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99

Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 05-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Default Legendary Japanese Hi-Fi Brand Onkyo Files For Bankruptcy

"However, the Onkyo name should live on. In September, it sold its core home AV business to Sharp and the US-based Voxx International, and its earphones and headphones business to an investment fund. The Onkyo brand is expected to live on in a joint venture between Sharp and Voxx."

https://www.twice.com/product/audio/...for-bankruptcy
Old 05-17-2022, 04:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

Too bad. I hope they don't stop making receivers.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Yeah, the handwriting was pretty much on the wall a couple of years ago when they tried to sell their business to Sound United and the deal fell through. Consumer audio has evolved into products that utilize more and more computer / video technology and Onkyo was evidently behind in the game in this aspect more so than other brands. Since Sharp has been a player for years in the HD video business, it seems logical for them to expand their market presence into the home audio market as well.
Thanks given by:
OA-5599 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Hopefully they'll still be around in one form or another. They made some good stuff. I still haven't forgotten the behemoth that was the 805 AVR from way back when blu-ray was in its prime. I had one briefly but eventually picked up an 886 preamp/processor that I had for a few years.

I remember back then how active the audio/HT forum section was here. Sad to see it dwindle, and the market in general. But I'm not sad of all the upgrades visiting this forum caused back in the day lol.
Thanks given by:
SlaughterX (05-28-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2007
Central Wisconsin

Too bad. Its what happens when companies stop putting out new products. I've ONLY owned Onkyo receivers and I'm sad to see them go. The entire A/V market is collapsing. Electronic companies have stopped making disc players, receivers, projectors, etc. and I'm worried that home theater will disappear too. Too many consumers are content with watching TV and movies on phones so streaming is dominating.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 01:18 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrute Farms View Post
Too bad. Its what happens when companies stop putting out new products. I've ONLY owned Onkyo receivers and I'm sad to see them go. The entire A/V market is collapsing. Electronic companies have stopped making disc players, receivers, projectors, etc. and I'm worried that home theater will disappear too. Too many consumers are content with watching TV and movies on phones so streaming is dominating.
My favorite A/V receivers were always Pioneer Elite, now there is only a few choices to choose from. Gone are the days of over 12 models of Elite receivers to choose from. The year 2019 Pioneer Elite receiver called the SC-LX904 for $2,999.99 might end up being Pioneers best Elite A/V receiver. Now I will have to consider a high-end Yamaha or Denon with up to 13.2 channels with Auro 3D and HDMI 8K switching.

I wish Pioneer would start making high-end receivers again. In the ideal world Pioneer should at the very minimum have 3 models to choose from. A flagship high-end $5,000 model, a $2,500 model, and a under $1.000 entry level model. But that might not happen.

There is less and less choices when it comes to Home theater equipment. Especially Blu-ray players and A/V receivers. Also there needs to be more choices of projectors and flat panel screens.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
My favorite A/V receivers were always Pioneer Elite, now there is only a few choices to choose from. Gone are the days of over 12 models of Elite receivers to choose from. The year 2019 Pioneer Elite receiver called the SC-LX904 for $2,999.99 might end up being Pioneers best Elite A/V receiver. Now I will have to consider a high-end Yamaha or Denon with up to 13.2 channels with Auro 3D and HDMI 8K switching.

I wish Pioneer would start making high-end receivers again. In the ideal world Pioneer should at the very minimum have 3 models to choose from. A flagship high-end $5,000 model, a $2,500 model, and a under $1.000 entry level model. But that might not happen.

There is less and less choices when it comes to Home theater equipment. Especially Blu-ray players and A/V receivers. Also there needs to be more choices of projectors and flat panel screens.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but, the facts are the facts. Choice is great but, it doesn't make sense to have all these choices if nobody wants to buy them. Your ideal world isn't going to happen because it just doesn't make sense financially.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

People want flat panels, evidence is there are more choices in that category, but less choices in the last few years. People want projectors and Blu-ray players but there are less choices there. People want home theater setups with A/V receivers ranging in price between $400-$10,000+. However in the last few years too many people have been using 2.0 stereo setups with either soundbars or flat panel speakers built in. There is still demand for under $1,000 bedroom 7.1 surround setups and higher end $2,000 to $20,000+ home theater setups.

Companies are still making A/V receivers, but its hard to get the chips with supply shortages and inflation. So overall all home electronics suffer with inflation and chip shortages.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

I think Sony has gotten out of the receiver business too. Been quite a while since their last model.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
People want flat panels, evidence is there are more choices in that category, but less choices in the last few years. People want projectors and Blu-ray players but there are less choices there. People want home theater setups with A/V receivers ranging in price between $400-$10,000+. However in the last few years too many people have been using 2.0 stereo setups with either soundbars or flat panel speakers built in. There is still demand for under $1,000 bedroom 7.1 surround setups and higher end $2,000 to $20,000+ home theater setups.

Companies are still making A/V receivers, but its hard to get the chips with supply shortages and inflation. So overall all home electronics suffer with inflation and chip shortages.
Your post doesn't make a lot of sense. You say too many people are using 2.0 setups. Then you say there's demand for bigger setups. Those statements contradict each other.

You also said manufacturers aren't providing enough choice. Now you say it's because of supply shortage. Well, once the supply shortage is taken care of there will be more options but, that's not what you originally said.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

There is both inflation and chip shortages that is causing all electronics to have lower supplies. Certain in demand new model electronic items will be affected the most with less choices for consumers. A/V receivers are a luxury item and a high percentage of consumers that buy flat panel screens, choose to not buy A/V receivers with surround sound setups. So if we are talking about A/V receivers and not electronics in general, then there is at least three issues that are causing less A/V receivers to be on the market. First reason is less demand for A/V receivers, the second reason is chip shortages which causes no new models from some companies, then the third reason is inflation. Those 3 reasons are causing a disaster for A/V receiver manufactories. Also the less demand for a product, also means components are no longer purchased in large QTY, which causes even higher prices. Used A/V receivers are sometimes selling for the full list price of a new receiver and sometimes higher then the list price on EBAY (depends on the model and popularity of certain models). Good luck trying to find a new or used A/V receiver.

Crutchfield is out of stock on the 13.2 channel Denon AVR-X8500HA that sells for $4,599.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-70ATSK...R-X8500HA.html

It looks like Amazon still has 3 left in stock for anyone that wants to create a 13.2 channel surround sound setup.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:08 AM   #12

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
I think Sony has gotten out of the receiver business too. Been quite a while since their last model.
Crutchfield shows two models in stock for AVRs and one stereo. Not introducing new models during a chip shortage is way different than getting out of the business.

Actually, AVR supplies are increasing it seems.

Last year when I bought my 3700 I remember Crutchfield having 9 or 11 in stock.

Now they have 25.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers