Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Real Genius 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.84
11 hrs ago
The Films of Doris Wishman: The Twilight Years (Blu-ray)
$32.66
10 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99
1 day ago
Belle 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
12 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K Giftset (Blu-ray)
$149.96

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.76

Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
After Yang (Blu-ray)
$13.00
19 hrs ago
Everything Everywhere All At Once (Blu-ray)
$14.96

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Paths of Glory 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Flatliners 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-
Default Walmart promotes a cheap 70" display from China

You may have noticed recently that Walmart has been trying their very best to promote a Black Friday deal on this 70" UHD display made by a "company" called onn. What you need to know is that onn. is actually just a label that Walmart uses. What Walmart does is they get cheap stuff from China and put their onn. label on the cheap Chinese stuff. And even though it is a UHD display with HDR, the only disc player this "company" sells is this cheap DVD player. Who buys a brand new DVD player in a world with Ultra HD Blu-ray? Just so you know, Best Buy also has the labels Dynex and Insignia that they put on cheap Chinese stuff, but at least they do a great job promoting deals on actual name-brand products.

Also, Walmart does not price-match anything. When a (UHD) Blu-ray Disc you want drops in price on Amazon, you can literally just go to Best Buy, show them the Amazon page and get it at the Amazon price. You cannot do the same thing at Walmart.

Last edited by BijouMan; 11-25-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

ONN TVs are manufactured for Walmart by Durabrand, a Chinese TV manufacturer.
Thanks given by:
BijouMan (11-25-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Pretty aggressive price for such a large display. Solid price if you can get some extended warranty on it through credit cards, etc. If I still lived in a place where I had the room for a second setup I'd probably look into something like this.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

China makes some high-end and high-quality electronics that is top of the line. China also makes some medium to lower end electronics at super prices. Its good for the consumer to have choices with several models to choose from. A 70 inch TV under $400 is a lower end model that might under ideal conditions last 5 to 10 years instead of 20 years. Under $400 for a 70 inch 4K display is a good deal. However some consumers would rather buy a 55 inch OLED display for $999.99 to $1,300 that might under ideal conditions last 10 to 20 years with a good quality UPS or surge protector connected. Or a 77 inch OLED for $2,500.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-26-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
China makes some high-end and high-quality electronics that is top of the line. China also makes some medium to lower end electronics at super prices. Its good for the consumer to have choices with several models to choose from. A 70 inch TV under $400 is a lower end model that might under ideal conditions last 5 to 10 years instead of 20 years. Under $400 for a 70 inch 4K display is a good deal. However some consumers would rather buy a 55 inch OLED display for $999.99 to $1,300 that might under ideal conditions last 10 to 20 years with a good quality UPS or surge protector connected. Or a 77 inch OLED for $2,500.
But this onn. is the kind of thing one could just buy a whole bunch of from Alibaba, put their own brand name on them, and then make money selling them as their own, which might just be what Walmart does.

I have not come across a single person online with an onn. display and an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.

Last edited by BijouMan; 11-27-2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouMan;19608166I have not come across a single person online with an onn. display [I
and[/I] an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
My son has an ONN 43" HDTV bought at Walmart. Also an ONN soundbar. Now you know someone online that has ONN equipment.

I don't think ONN sells a UHD-BD player. Do you have the model number available?
Old 11-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #7
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
My son has an ONN 43" HDTV bought at Walmart. Also an ONN soundbar. Now you know someone online that has ONN equipment.

I don't think ONN sells a UHD-BD player. Do you have the model number available?
There is no onn. UHD Blu-ray player. These can only come from legit manufacturers. Searching "UHD Blu-ray player" on Alibaba only returns devices designed to play files illegally ripped from (UHD) Blu-ray Discs. I meant that I have not come across a single person online with an onn. display and an Ultra HD Blu-ray player from any manufacturer.

Last edited by BijouMan; 11-28-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouMan View Post
There is no onn. UHD Blu-ray player. These can only come from legit manufacturers. Searching “UHD Blu-ray player” on Alibaba only returns devices designed to play files illegally ripped from (UHD) Blu-ray Discs. I meant that I have not come across a single person online with an onn. display and an Ultra HD Blu-ray player from any manufacturer.
So you think that of the millions of people online - no one has an ONN 4KTV and a UHD-BD player? Really?
Old 11-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
So you think that of the millions of people online - no one has an ONN 4KTV and a UHD-BD player? Really?
I have not come across a forum member or a YouTube user testing an onn. display using a UHD Blu-ray disc. Nobody I have seen with an onn. display seems to even know there is even such a thing as UHD Blu-ray.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouMan View Post
I have not come across a forum member or a YouTube user testing an onn. display using a UHD Blu-ray disc. Nobody I have seen with an onn. display seems to even know there is even such a thing as UHD Blu-ray.
Wait - your search consists of the BD Forum and YouTube?
Old 11-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
Wait - your search consists of the BD Forum and YouTube?
All the videos of people with them never have them using a UHD Blu-ray disc as a source, and if anybody online does such a thing, it would be someone on this forum or one like it. Just go searching online for "onn. display review" and tell me if you find someone and give a link to them. Not even the people at RTINGS.com (read aloud as "ratings dot com") have tested an onn. display, and I don't even know if they use a UHD Blu-ray disc as a source in their tests.

Last edited by BijouMan; 11-28-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:31 AM   #12

Nov 2009

China actually makes products with compatible features and proper workmenship. For instance, they create class-sized televisions and budget audio systems. All the 'expensive tech gear' that people own are fabricated in China. Things which have propietary and stand alone components are ones which are made in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

China has very high-end automated robotic factories that output some of the world’s best electronics. There is a lot of high-end top of the line consumer products made in China that can last 20 to 30 years. China also makes medium to low end consumer products at low prices.

I am a big fan of made in China products since sometimes they have the absolute best of the best at decent prices. However, some other countries around the world can sometimes make just as good as products as China but usually at higher prices. While most of the time automated robotic machines make things coming off the China assemble line, the Chinese culture in general is nice and friendly with very knowledgably engineers. While a lot of products in the past were engineered in the USA and made in China. China now has their own companies and is able to do 100% engineering with manufacturing in China with no longer needing the help of United States engineers in key industries. Perhaps one day in decades to come China might send people to the moon, build a moon base, and send people to Mars one day. The Chinese people in general are very smart people. Hopefully China, Russia, Europe, USA, and the rest of the world can have a long-lasting peace that will last several generations.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
China has very high-end automated robotic factories that output some of the world’s best electronics. There is a lot of high-end top of the line consumer products made in China that can last 20 to 30 years. China also makes medium to low end consumer products at low prices.

I am a big fan of made in China products since sometimes they have the absolute best of the best at decent prices. However, some other countries around the world can sometimes make just as good as products as China but usually at higher prices. While most of the time automated robotic machines make things coming off the China assemble line, the Chinese culture in general is nice and friendly with very knowledgably engineers. While a lot of products in the past were engineered in the USA and made in China. China now has their own companies and is able to do 100% engineering with manufacturing in China with no longer needing the help of United States engineers in key industries. Perhaps one day in decades to come China might send people to the moon, build a moon base, and send people to Mars one day. The Chinese people in general are very smart people. Hopefully China, Russia, Europe, USA, and the rest of the world can have a long-lasting peace that will last several generations.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion