Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Real Genius 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.84
11 hrs ago
The Films of Doris Wishman: The Twilight Years (Blu-ray)
$32.66
9 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99
1 day ago
Belle 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
11 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K Giftset (Blu-ray)
$149.96
 
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.76
 
Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
23 hrs ago
After Yang (Blu-ray)
$13.00
18 hrs ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Everything Everywhere All At Once (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Paths of Glory 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Flatliners 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-02-2022, 12:50 AM   #1
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default Is my DVD player starting to fail?

I bought my Sony DVP-NS77H DVD player in Nov 2007, so that would make this DVD player 14 years old, which I am amazed it has lasted me this long. It's been a great DVD player all these years, but lately, I've noticed the DVD player tends to get stuck or become very slow when loading. Like when I'm skipping chapters or loading a movie from the main menu, it takes extra longer now to load. I've never had this problem in the 14 years I've owned until recently and it's happening on ALL the DVDs I've played in it, so it's not a disc problem. So I'm wondering if the laser is starting to go or maybe it's just dirty and I need to buy one of the laser cleaning discs.

Anyone have similar issues with their DVD players before and know what is causing this sudden issue on my DVD player?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:00 AM   #2
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

My Toshiba HD DVD player was very slow to load, but it was like that when I bought it, but not a DVD player. I would keep using it until it goes completely out. If you're going to replace it, it's best to get a Blu-ray player instead of a DVD player, then you can play DVDs, Blu-rays and other media.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-15-2022 at 09:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:26 AM   #3
ps3bd_owner ps3bd_owner is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
ps3bd_owner's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Default

I had about 2-3 DVD Players fail probably due to the laser since everything else worked perfectly. It was a shame, but it was bound to happen.

You could buy a PS3 or PS4 as they're cheap nowadays and they play BD/DVDs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:31 AM   #4
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
My Toshiba HD DVD player was very slow to load, but it was like when I bought it, but not a DVD player. I would keep using it until it goes completely out. If you're going to replace it, it's best to get a Blu-ray player instead of a DVD player, then you can play DVDs, Blu-rays and other media.
Actually, I have a dvd recorder and bd player, so plenty of backups if I need it. So really not a big deal, but was just curious if my DVD player is on its death bed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:35 AM   #5
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Yeah I think my player is on its death bed. I was watching some DVDs today and not only does it have trouble loading some discs now and then, but it started choking up in the middle of the movie as if the disc was damaged. But I inspected the disc and it was fine. So I turned the DVD player off and then back on. And replayed that same part of the disc again and it played fine.

So maybe a laser problem….
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:16 AM   #6
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Yeah I think my player is on its death bed. I was watching some DVDs today and not only does it have trouble loading some discs now and then, but it started choking up in the middle of the movie as if the disc was damaged. But I inspected the disc and it was fine. So I turned the DVD player off and then back on. And replayed that same part of the disc again and it played fine.

So maybe a laser problem….
It's a possibility that the lens is dirty. You can get a lens cleaner and see if it'll help. You've stated that your DVD recorder is 14 years old, and it's been well used. If the lens cleaner doesn't work, then most definitely your player is about to go kaput. Due to the age of the player, it wouldn't be worth getting it repaired because, it's going to cost more to repair it then to buy a new one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:09 AM   #7
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It's a possibility that the lens is dirty. You can get a lens cleaner and see if it'll help. You've stated that your DVD recorder is 14 years old, and it's been well used. If the lens cleaner doesn't work, then most definitely your player is about to go kaput. Due to the age of the player, it wouldn't be worth getting it repaired because, it's going to cost more to repair it then to buy a new one.
I'll have to see if I can find a dvd lens cleaner disc. I checked Best Buy this morning and didn't see any at the store.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:29 AM   #8
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'll have to see if I can find a dvd lens cleaner disc. I checked Best Buy this morning and didn't see any at the store.
Amazon have them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #9
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Amazon have them.
Ok but I will have to wait until I have enough items to reach the $25 requirement for free shipping. Might take a while…
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #10
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Barry_NJ's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
2
12
138
4
Default

Open it up, clean and lubricate the tray mechanism and laser transport, and clean the lens with a q-tip...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:01 AM   #11
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
Open it up, clean and lubricate the tray mechanism and laser transport, and clean the lens with a q-tip...
I'm considering it. I went to Best Buy today and they charge $14.99 for a DVD laser cleaning disc. That's crazy to pay the kind of money to clean my DVD player when there's even no guarantee that the laser is even dirty to begin with. I'm investing money on a crap shoot. Considering DVD players are so cheap and the fact that I don't need a DVD player (since my DVD recorder and BD player can both do the job), I'll just either try to clean myself or just ditch it if it becomes really problematic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #12
RFK RFK is offline
Active Member
 
RFK's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Actually, I have a dvd recorder and bd player, so plenty of backups if I need it. So really not a big deal, but was just curious if my DVD player is on its death bed.
Do you still use your dvd recorder because those are no longer being made and used models are pretty costly. Might be a better idea to buy a cheap dvd or bluray player to save wearing out your dvd recorder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
Do you still use your dvd recorder because those are no longer being made and used models are pretty costly. Might be a better idea to buy a cheap dvd or bluray player to save wearing out your dvd recorder.
I really don't need a dvd recorder anymore. I have nothing to record on DVD anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #14
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
Open it up, clean and lubricate the tray mechanism and laser transport, and clean the lens with a q-tip...
I just tried that and couldn't clean it. The laser is covered up, kinda like this...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:55 AM   #15
Barry_NJ Barry_NJ is offline
Member
 
Barry_NJ's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
2
12
138
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I just tried that and couldn't clean it. The laser is covered up, kinda like this...
Bummer, that is pretty closed up. Go deeper on the teardown if you feel comfortable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #16
GreatGreg GreatGreg is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
GreatGreg's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Canada
-
21
Default

You can open it up and clean the laser or lens. No risk in making it worse anymore. I have used a swab and isopropyl alcohol.

This should fix it up for a few more plays, but ultimately, you will need to replace the laser, which really means getting another player.

Your player has had plenty of use, so it doesn't owe you anything anymore at this point. New players are so cheap.

$300 for a region free 4K/3D player now. I just ordered one on New Year's Day and I think it was $250, and it was delivered to Canada in three days.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #17
orangerunner orangerunner is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_NJ View Post
Open it up, clean and lubricate the tray mechanism and laser transport, and clean the lens with a q-tip...
I agree sometimes it's not the laser itself but the laser guiding track is sticking and causing the malfunction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #18
SeeMoreDigital SeeMoreDigital is online now
Senior Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I just tried that and couldn't clean it. The laser is covered up, kinda like this...

Power up the player and press the eject button!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #19
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
151
1
Default

Just to follow up on this thread, my DVD player never died. After I opened it to discover the laser is covered up and couldn't be cleaned, I closed up the DVD player and never had any issues with the player again. I guess opening it without actually doing anything must've somehow cleaned up the laser.

Last edited by MrHT; 06-18-2022 at 03:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #20
KubrickKurasawa KubrickKurasawa is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KubrickKurasawa's Avatar
 
Feb 2014
Midwest
45
557
117
65
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm considering it. I went to Best Buy today and they charge $14.99 for a DVD laser cleaning disc. That's crazy to pay the kind of money to clean my DVD player when there's even no guarantee that the laser is even dirty to begin with. I'm investing money on a crap shoot. Considering DVD players are so cheap and the fact that I don't need a DVD player (since my DVD recorder and BD player can both do the job), I'll just either try to clean myself or just ditch it if it becomes really problematic.
DVD drives are optical like an optical cable per say. The drive head has a lens that tends to slowly pick up dust. The cleaner disk you will try/buy has some little bumps with tiny bristles that do the job of clearing off the dirt. It's about the only thing that you can do to clean the head short of disassembling the drive and rubbing the head with an alcohol drenched q-tip.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 PM.