Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K (Blu-ray)
$97.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$125.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
1 day ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Raging Bull 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Elvis 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Everything Everywhere All At Once 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Okja 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Double Indemnity 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Silver Salt do some fine work. So glad StudioCanal went back to them for this instead of going with Hiventy and their Pisstavision™️ process.
Yes, Silver Salt have impressed me with this restoration.

Given how fond I am of these films, I'd have been vitriolic had Hiventy been allowed to give this their special "care"!

I was worried enough to hang onto the old LE Blu-ray set. I still will until we can be sure Studiocanal haven't screwed up something on the disc for the 2nd film.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Silver Salt do some fine work. So glad StudioCanal went back to them for this instead of going with Hiventy and their Pisstavision™️ process.
Not that I know anything about Studiocanal's internal workflow, but I assume all their UK libraries are handled by their UK branch, who in turn use the services of UK-based labs. All the "purely British" releases (e.g. The Servant, Ladykillers) have turned out fantastic, whereas the Hiventy shit (e.g. Serpico, Cat's Eye) comes from the French subsidiary.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #63
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
Not that I know anything about Studiocanal's internal workflow, but I assume all their UK libraries are handled by their UK branch, who in turn use the services of UK-based labs. All the "purely British" releases (e.g. The Servant, Ladykillers) have turned out fantastic, whereas the Hiventy shit (e.g. Serpico, Cat's Eye) comes from the French subsidiary.
They often get David M to do the encodes for their “British” stuff too. What a bonus that’d be!
Thanks given by:
Hammerlover (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #64
Expert Member

Jul 2020
Hammer House

I still can't believe Amicus beat Hammer to 4K. But that's okay; this is a charming and colorful film which I'll happily add to my collection. And the packaging looks incredible!
Thanks given by:
TwinCitiesBluFan (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerlover View Post
I still can't believe Amicus beat Hammer to 4K.
Hammer should have made some Dalek films then!
Old 06-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #66
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Meteor View Post
Peter Cushing as Davros?
Old 06-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #67
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
I was brought up on Hammer films, and as much as I love them, I don't think that the hands of Jimmy Carreras would have been right for it.

[Show spoiler]HAMMER dalek.jpg
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
I was brought up on Hammer films, and as much as I love them, I don't think that the hands of Jimmy Carreras would have been right for it.

[Show spoiler]Attachment 277786
I dunno, Hammer did put a lot into titles like SHE and ONE MILLION YEARS BC, so they wern't always pennypinching...

...BUT they were often reliant on US co-producers. Wheras Amicus seems to have been able to fund the Dalek films from UK sources alone. Which is just as well, as the films didn't go far in the states...did the second film even get a US release?
Old 06-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #69
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2017

Quote:
I dunno, Hammer did put a lot into titles like SHE and ONE MILLION YEARS BC, so they wern't always pennypinching...

...BUT they were often reliant on US co-producers. Wheras Amicus seems to have been able to fund the Dalek films from UK sources alone. Which is just as well, as the films didn't go far in the states...did the second film even get a US release?
America didn't even air the show until the 70s, with no interest in the B&W episodes, starting with Pertwee's ones. In the 60s, would have been pretty hard to drum up American support for an movie based on a black n' white TV show not even playing there. As for the second film and the States, I think bypassed cinemas and went to TV, where it played as "Daleks Invade Earth 2150 A.D."

Roy Ward Baker always said that Hammer didn't like to spend money when undertaking ambitious projects like science fiction, which left him flailing when he tried to make one for them. In fact, I still have the image of Bernard Bresslaw floating around on wires from Moon Zero Two when Hammer and Sci-Fi are mentioned in the same sentence...

Last edited by CompleteCount; 06-23-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:
America didn't even air the show until the 70s, with no interest in the B&W episodes, starting with Pertwee's ones. In the 60s, would have been pretty hard to drum up American support for an movie based on a black n' white TV show not even playing there. As for the second film and the States, I think bypassed cinemas and went to TV, where it played as "Daleks Invade Earth 2150 A.D."

Roy Ward Baker always said that Hammer didn't like to spend money when undertaking ambitious projects like science fiction, which left him flailing when he tried to make one for them. In fact, I still have the image of Bernard Bresslaw floating around on wires from Moon Zero Two when Hammer and Sci-Fi are mentioned in the same sentence...
I always love that American children first saw Doctor Who under these circumstances...

Thanks given by:
Tchotchke (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #71
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Cinema heaven...

Thanks given by:
Marlew (06-23-2022), Tchotchke (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #72
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Early US coverage of the series from FAMOUS MONSTERS - https://archive.org/details/Famous_M...e/n51/mode/2up
Old 06-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #73
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:

Hammer's pennypinching is highlighted way back in CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, where they keep mentioning "the villagers", whom we never see. Same for Dracula living just up the road from the Holmwoods.
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:
I always love that American children first saw Doctor Who under these circumstances...

And a testimony from a miserable soul who survived that terrifying ordeal! - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mons....html#p1444699
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2017

Quote:
Hammer's pennypinching is highlighted way back in CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, where they keep mentioning "the villagers", whom we never see. Same for Dracula living just up the road from the Holmwoods.
"Damn you Frankenstein! In your attempts to create life, you have turned the entire town invisible. All three thousand of them have gathered outside, and they are absolutely furious with you!!"
Thanks given by:
Killer Meteor (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:27 PM   #76
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

Quote:
"Damn you Frankenstein! In your attempts to create life, you have turned the entire town invisible. All three thousand of them have gathered outside, and they are absolutely furious with you!!"
Of course, when Universal did the cheapskate THE MUMMY'S TOMB, they used stock shots from FRANKENSTEIN to create the mob. And the "mob" in HOUSE OF DRACULA is half a dozen people who walk into the castle only to run away from stock footage from THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN.

And your post reminds me...when will someone do a blu-ray of ORLOFF AND THE INVISIBLE MAN?
Old 06-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #77
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Gah. I've crumbled and ordered the tat edition, albeit with a fiver off at zavvi.
Thanks given by:
cybersoga (06-23-2022), Killer Meteor (06-23-2022), professorwho (06-24-2022), reanimator (06-23-2022), TwinCitiesBluFan (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 02:56 PM   #78

Mar 2020

Old 06-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #79
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
-
-

The disclaimer about potential offense at the beginning is odd. I wonder if Studio Canal just sticks that on every old family film they release?
Old 06-24-2022, 12:27 AM   #80
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

I preordered both versions from Amazon UK originally while I decided which to go with. When I decided to go with Diabolik for the steelbook, I forgot to cancel my Amazon UK pre-orders. So those just shipped. I hate when I do that.

Meanwhile, the Diabolik steelbook hasn't shipped yet. I can still cancel it and get store credit. I didn't have the option for some reason for the priority international shipping from Amazon UK so it will take a while for them to get to the US. So I'm not sure what to do. I went with Diabolik because I figured they pack better so the steelbook had a much better chance of arriving safely. I didn't want both versions. Now I've got both versions on it's way from Amazon and another steelbook ordered from Diiabolik. I guess it makes sense to cancel Diabolik's but then what if Amazon's steelbook arrives dented in? And now that I've seen the deluxe edition I do like it, though it's too expensive. I guess I can always set up an Amazon return for whatever I don't want once they arrive.

I need to be more careful when I pre-order from multiple shops.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies