Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
22 hrs ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
12 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
3 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
3 hrs ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
21 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
18 hrs ago
High School of the Dead: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$38.99
29 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
brooklyn
Default Outdoor Projector

Hey gang,

I recently moved to a place with a backyard, and i'm looking to set up a projector for warm weather night viewings.

having never owned a projector before, what specific features should I be on the lookout for in an outdoor projector?

are there particular models that handle ambient light well, and can connect to speakers? i've watched movies outside at other folks' backyards but have always found the picture sort of washed out looking.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, this has been a long-held dream of mine

if there is a dedicated thread for this that someone could direct me to, that would also work just as well

Last edited by painiac; 01-21-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by painiac View Post
Hey gang,

I recently moved to a place with a backyard, and i'm looking to set up a projector for warm weather night viewings.

having never owned a projector before, what specific features should I be on the lookout for in an outdoor projector?

are there particular models that handle ambient light well, and can connect to speakers? i've watched movies outside at other folks' backyards but have always found the picture sort of washed out looking.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, this has been a long-held dream of mine

if there is a dedicated thread for this that someone could direct me to, that would also work just as well
Projectors and ambient light don't mix, find the projector with the most lumens that your budget will allow. What screen size are you going for and what's your budget. The bigger you go the further away your projector will be and the more washed out it will get if there is any light around. To combat that you could look into ultra short throw projectors as possible candidates.

If your budget is small, like less than a couple of grand this isn't a big conversation, find the cheapest projector you can get with the most lumens, look at used ones to get better quality to stay in budget as long as they've got a new lamp in it as the lamps age the become less bright.
Thanks given by:
painiac (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Projectors and ambient light don't mix, find the projector with the most lumens that your budget will allow. What screen size are you going for and what's your budget. The bigger you go the further away your projector will be and the more washed out it will get if there is any light around. To combat that you could look into ultra short throw projectors as possible candidates.

If your budget is small, like less than a couple of grand this isn't a big conversation, find the cheapest projector you can get with the most lumens, look at used ones to get better quality to stay in budget as long as they've got a new lamp in it as the lamps age the become less bright.
awesome, thanks for the insight! definitely not going to spend a ton - this isn't going to be my main mode of watching movies (and post-pandemic just having folks over to watch flicks out back)

i appreciate your help here
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors