Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Dutchess County New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdManJr View Post
Well dreamworks also does movies.

i liked madagascar and part 2 looks good...My son always runs around the house saying (i like to move it move it) lol i always get a kick out of that,
We also like to watch Antz alot.

kung fu panda....shrek 1 and 2...not 3...
shark tale was ok.
I did like bee movie somewhat too.

But cars, finding nemo and incredibles blow all that away.

Movies my son has in rotation

cars
ice age 2
antz
madagascar

Pretty much those 4 over and over until i hide them and he has to pick something different.
Ice Age is NOT Dreamworks...it's Blue Sky Studios, which I affectionately call the East Coast Pixar (New Rochelle, NY). They are owned by Fox and though they are not in the same league as Pixar, they are a close second.They have a decent animation staff and the story lines on some of their productions (Ice Age mostly) have been somewhat compelling.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #22

Dec 2007

When it comes to watching CGI animation in our home, Pixar rules. My wife and kids just love the Pixar films. My kids can't really stand any Dreamworks animation. If i would give my kids a choice (which i have before) between Shark Tales and Finding Nemo they choose Nemo every time. My wife and i like shrek 1 and 2 but it just seems like Dreamworks misses the mark for us. Their work is just not up to par with Pixar IMO.

The Incredibles is the best. I just love that movie. Come to blu soon
Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #23

Sep 2008

My guess is that Pixar holds itself to a high standard and there are execs that refuse to release/approve crap. Disney is even guilty of releasing garbage that ruins their name by releasing B-cartoon releases that try to earn a buck based off of the original. They want your kid to see the original movie, but when walking into the store, try to grab your kids attention with familiar titles... Cindarella 2, Little Mermaid sequels, etc.

Some of these other animation companies have some pretty good titles. The first two Shreks were really good movies as was the first Ice Age. I'm sure there are others. I think they are just willing to approve movies that aren't great --- kinda like most live action movies out there Fortunately the standard for all animation is still higher than major live movies.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I bet it's just that they work harder.

Dreamworks and others just want to get in on the cash flow they see with Pixar's movies.

(I usually get all those types of movies anyway Pixar, Dreamworks, Blue Sky, and others, because they are direct digital transfers and are just amazing looking in a Home Theater.)

-Brian
Old 09-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Yes, the tag line of "Story First" is the main reason Pixar is so successful, but also because they don't flaunt celebrities. Think about it, I just watched Madagascar on Blu-ray (my gf loves that movie) and about every 15 minutes you see a blatant reference to the celebrity that voices the character. When Alex (voiced by Ben Stiller) is getting his photo taken by the crowd, the first shot references Zoolander. Its a punch in the stomach to viewers to remind them that "yes, that's Ben Stiller, and isn't he funny?"

I rather like Pixar's approach of not highlighting the celebrity, just finding the voice that fits the character, not the other way around.

Of course, there are some breaks in that rule (Jeremy Piven as Lightning McQueen's manager referencing Entourage), but they are few and far between.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #26
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
Two words describe Pixar:

Story first.
You mean Steve Jobs.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #27
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Toronto, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
You mean Steve Jobs.
No...I don't mean Steve Jobs. He's nothing but a money-man in this equation. John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton, the late Joe Ranft...these guys (and more) are the real brains behind this company. Jobs just had the wallet.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies