Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74

The Awful Truth (Blu-ray)
$18.96
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Default Blu-ray 3D movies, Depth, Oppo UDP 203 & the LG EG9600 UHD

My Initial reaction to player and display combination is ecstatic disbelief.
The 203 Blu-ray 3D Depth out-of-the-box @ default, is as strong as my optimized calibration settings had to be in the past, with LG and Oppo 103, for the same real-world experience!

First connected initially, I was going to watch Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D in its entirety, but after only viewing the "top menu" and then a portion of the first scene, I was in total disbelief what was happening and had to check if somehow the LG 3D Modes were left in optimized positions and not @ default, (found 3D Depth @ 10 & Viewpoint @ 0 which are the default settings) and then for reference I had to compare an early 3D CGI production - Toy Story 3D, to gauge effects!

All I have to say is unless I find a title now that does not give me as strong of a reaction as my first experience, there will be no further point ever changing from manufactures default settings for the best native-3D.

The big question I now have for the 3D purists and tech experts is HOW IS THIS STRONGER 3D EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE when up to now, the same experience was only possible via optimization?
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Could you explain what you mean by optimisation?
Display: Panasonic 65vt60 with a darbee darblet, Benq w7000.
Audio: Benchmark Dac1 ->DNA Sonett -> Sennheiser HD800 (balanced).
Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Could you explain what you mean by optimisation?
When playing Blu-ray 3D's on an Oppo 103, it took calibration of the "3D Modes" on the LG EG9600 to get get the best visual detail possible for resolving 3D visually at its strongest potential. For reference see the LG's “3D Depth” Setting thread.

Now with the Oppo 203, "3D Mode" settings on the LG can be left at their default positions for the same equivalent "optimized" 3D experience. The 3D now looks visually calibrated, 3D detail being optimized by the player via the players out-of-the-box factory default settings.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-27-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
-
-

New toys, better 3D? Congratulations!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Power Member

Jul 2013

I've never owned an Opp, but superior disc playback is thier thing.

My guess is Oppo's 'default' is heavily optimized internally to begin with.

So basically that's what you're buying for $550 is convenience (less tweak time).

I'm going to have to checkout some YouTube reviews of this player...

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 12-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

So what does it actually change. It can't add depth which just leaves convergence which I don't think one should be changing. What else can you change about the 3D.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
So what does it actually change. It can't add depth which just leaves convergence which I don't think one should be changing. What else can you change about the 3D.
Convergence is needed for accurate alignment of visual intersection points calibrating stereoscopic positioning and alignment patterns.
3D eye-focus then remains within physical comfort levels and clarity-of-depth is retained, while pop-out illusional distance remains constant.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Convergence is needed for accurate alignment of visual intersection points calibrating stereoscopic positioning and alignment patterns.
3D eye-focus then remains within physical comfort levels and clarity-of-depth is retained, while pop-out illusional distance remains constant.
I don't need to be explained what it does. I asked what this so called calibration does in terms of how it changes the image. Not a marketing line please.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
My Initial reaction to player and display combination is ecstatic disbelief.
The 203 Blu-ray 3D Depth out-of-the-box @ default, is as strong as my optimized calibration settings had to be in the past, with LG and Oppo 103, for the same real-world experience!

First connected initially, I was going to watch Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D in its entirety, but after only viewing the "top menu" and then a portion of the first scene, I was in total disbelief what was happening and had to check if somehow the LG 3D Modes were left in optimized positions and not @ default, (found 3D Depth @ 10 & Viewpoint @ 0 which are the default settings) and then for reference I had to compare an early 3D CGI production - Toy Story 3D, to gauge effects!

All I have to say is unless I find a title now that does not give me as strong of a reaction as my first experience, there will be no further point ever changing from manufactures default settings for the best native-3D.

The big question I now have for the 3D purists and tech experts is HOW IS THIS STRONGER 3D EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE when up to now, the same experience was only possible via optimization?
Would be nice if someone could test same player/movie on a different display, i.e Sony Z9D to see if comes out as strong as he is saying with the LG one.
Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, 2 B&W 683S2, 4 B&W 684S2, B&W HTM61S2, 1 B&W ASW610, (Atmos Speakers TBD), Marantz TT-15S1, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
So what does it actually change. It can't add depth.
I don't know. It's understood that it would be impossible to add depth unless it is somehow already present when originally captured visually from two image points of view, but this video processing feature increases and decreases the depth perception on the display uniformly throughout the 3D picture, acting like a volume control that digitally controls sound.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (12-27-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
I don't need to be explained what it does. I asked what this so called calibration does in terms of how it changes the image. Not a marketing line please.
Quote:
I don't know. It's understood that it would be impossible to add depth unless it is somehow already present when originally captured visually from two image points of view, but this video processing feature increases and decreases the depth perception on the display uniformly throughout the 3D picture, acting like a volume control that digitally controls sound.
Suntory_Times,
You really need to see the "optimized" Oppo UDP 203's 3D processing for yourself.
It is like the captured 3D digital images are set at a fixed maximum level where before they were purposely variably minimized digitally.
Now, the Z-plane is finely-tuned, the same way resolution is increased.
The NASA logo in the IMAX Under the Sea beginning credits, has several small stars in the small logo. Now each one has distinct depth placement, like never before.
The famous Cod scene where he pops out of the screen, now keeps coming literally right-at-you where you feel you have to start putting up a defense reaction emotionally, that evokes a tremendous YES! reaction.
And this 3D-Depth finely-tuned increase is noticed in every Blu-ray 3D title I have put in the player.

Don't know how else I can describe the increase in the Z-plane processing.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-28-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #12
Power Member

Nov 2009

Very interesting and I am waiting for my 203 and will be trying 3d ASAP, thanks for the information.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-29-2016), revgen (12-29-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Processors today have the processing powers to resolve Z-Plane 3D.

What I am discovering about 3D movie releases on Blu-ray 3D with this Oppo 203/LG UHD EG9600 combination is that there now seems to be only strong 3D. A distinction between conservative or medium strength 3D levels is no longer necessay

Every 3D movie I am playing resolves as STRONG native 3D, as a real-world 3D expereince.

This is possibly pointing to consumer / theatrical 'displays, projectors and/or player setups', having processors that do not resolve 3D Z-plane graphics @ 100% levels? Or if it is resolving @ 100% levels, the weakest link is not displaying the captured Z-plane distances accurately.

FYI: My latest Blu-ray 3D experience turns "The Peanuts Movie" 3D, into a substantial native-3D experience. Last time I viewed this was disappointing, as an unremarkable almost-flat 3D experience, using my Oppo 103.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-31-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

^^^^^^^

Paul, do you attribute the "stronger" 3-D experience to the Oppo or the LG?

Have you attempted to connect the Oppo to your previous 3-D display to gauge the difference?

Happy New Year!

BenQ HT1085ST 1080p 2D/3D DLP projector (135-inch 16:9 Silver Ticket screen)
EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses x 6
DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet HDMI Video Processor
Sony BDP-S5200 Region Free 2D/3D Blu-Ray Player
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Receiver
Polk TL250 five-speaker set (1 center / 4 surrounds) + 2x Polk TL2 / Sony SA-W2500 100W powered subwoofer
4x ButtKicker Advance + 4x Buttkicker BKA300 amps installed in 4 recliners. Blufans VIP.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
Paul, do you attribute the "stronger" 3-D experience to the Oppo or the LG
nycomet, the 3D is experienced via Oppo UDP-203 > The supplied HDMI Premium Certified Cable > LG EG9600 4K/UHD OLED.

There are still many Blu-ray 3D discs I have yet to compare before I risk polluting visual memory using my 3D plasma as a display source, but I strongly suspect additional 3D processing power is a requirement in the setup combination, which other features of 4K/UHD also require.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-31-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (01-01-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
nycomet, the 3D is experienced via Oppo UDP-203 > The supplied HDMI Premium Certified Cable > LG EG9600 4K/UHD OLED.

There are still many Blu-ray 3D discs I have yet to compare before I risk polluting visual memory using my 3D plasma as a display source, but I strongly suspect additional 3D processing power is a requirement in the setup combination, which other features of 4K/UHD also require.
The LG Oleds have the best 3D of any tv.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
The LG Oleds have the best 3D of any tv.
Haven't experienced every other 3D TV, but LG UHD has the best 3D rendering/resolving I've experienced out-of-the-box compared to Panasonic 1080P plasma or my 720P OLED headset.

Now after saying that, I would like to share some tweeks with friends. that really impress and adds to my 3D pleasures, using the LG EG9600 > premium HDMI > Oppo-UDP 203.

Already have posted elseware that customizing Picture Mode settings while in 3D mode, using (Expert 1) is a choice favorite.

*(Remember that the 2016 models have brighter HDR capability and this also affects all brightness levels, so this needs to be adjusted accordingly.)

Additional settings I change for the best 3D I can get for the setup combination, affecting 3D clarity and my vision-continuity of image-fusion, are found in "Expert Control" (NOTE: These changes are only for 3D mode, as additional 3D brightness & polarized glasses will eliminate any noticeable artifacts that can appear in 2D mode.)
"Expert Control":
Change->
1.) "Super Resolution" from OFF to HIGH.
2.) "Edge Enhancer" ON.
3.) "Color Gamut" from Standard to Wide.

What I find about changing "Color Gamut" to wide is that the additional hues increase the ability to notice 3D layer placement and distance perception. Also with the brighter images triggered in 3D mode (remember this is still in SDR specs and not HDR UHD), it will maintain natural coloring via higher brightness and polarization, where in 2D mode it can look out of place.

Last edited by Paul H; 01-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Thanks given by:
Darcy1 (01-10-2017), infiniteCR (01-03-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Exclamation Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak

Oppo 203 & LG 3D OLED 3D Parameter Calibration Adjustments for “Reference-Quality 3D” Experiences

The potential is there for consistent “reference-quality 3D” when both Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED expand 3D parameter-plane-level values.
Native-3D will produce “natural proportional-depth” in both the negative and positive plane realms.

These adjustments will also make Disney•Pixar movies like ”UP” look @ or close to reference-3D levels, instead of conservative.

Before calibration, It is important to start the process while having a 3D-Blu-ray movie in play.
The display needs to automatically switch itself to “native-3D mode” which avoids “3D-conversion-mode” that can be set in-error, and not relevant to native-3D setup.

Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED.

*Customizing the Oppo 203 for 3D output levels:

"The Oppo 203 needs to consistently send out all 3D-video MVC information as a complete unaltered signal.

Assuring this, use the following Oppo custom settings:

Settings -> Video Output setup -> 3D Settings

(Setup Menu> 3D Setting: 3D Output > (Forced) and 2D->3D Depth > (16).
(“Forced” influences native-3D output levels).

Oppo 203 setup menu:
Oppo 203 3D settings.jpg

3D TV size should be set to your display screen size.

Exit Oppo Setup.

*Customizing the LG 3D OLED in the “native-3D” mode setup menu:

(LG OLED “3D mode”: “Manual” produces visual customization controls)

Manual” 3D parameter level settings:
3D Depth” should be set to (+20) and “3D Viewpoint” should be set to (-5)
Both settings provide precise plane-intersection alignment coordinates.
See picture below:
LG native-3D manual sets.jpg

Auto-mode" needs to be set before exiting.
See picture below.
LG Auto set 800.jpg

(Auto is visually superior for controlling parameter level increases that optimize 3D layering, blending the planes seamlessly and smoothing them out for consistent visual levels-in-space.)

After exiting the setup, get ready for a quality 3D experience!
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (12-20-2017), eselv73 (12-25-2017), EVERRET (12-29-2017), Franchot (12-23-2017), infiniteCR (04-06-2018), Lionet (12-26-2017), rarhead (02-15-2018), Retired Flyer (12-21-2017), revgen (12-25-2017), tezster (08-17-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Default Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak

FYI:
Please read this in the "3D Technology, News and General Discussion thread"
Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak

Thanks
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (12-25-2017), nospam (12-24-2017), robtadrian (12-23-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Yes Paul without a doubt. With both region free oppo203 and lg oled 77 and 65 g6ps, there is no doubt it is hard to find a 3d documentary, live or animated movie that is not literally perfect. I went through War/Planet Apes and The Great Wall looking for problems and they were both outstanding. It is so seamless and easy too. Just use the setup you gave me for the oppo and oleds and then just pop in blu ray.

Thank you too for letting everyone know about this combination. There is a good chance I would not have bought these systems if it weren't for you. I can't believe how great this system is. Everytime I watch a dream I've had for 45 years has been realized.

ps: And good snag on the region free oppo 203! Don't think you can go wrong with refurbished oppo.

pss if you get a chance maybe repeat the numbers you gave me so others with our system might try them on the oppo and oled. i call them little o and big o.

Merry Christmas to everyone and especially you Paul!!!
Source
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players