Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
23 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
1 day ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.98

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #421
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I love that AV Controller. Very slick!
Just another reason why I love Aventage and Yamaha in general. That app just freakin' works, AND the wife can use it without a hitch lol. The other brand I tried since network control became a thing just weren't as good. Maybe the other brands have caught up now, but I don't care. I'm a Yamaha fanboy for life lol.
Thanks given by:
Reggie Hammond (02-27-2021), Scarriere (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #422
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Just another reason why I love Aventage and Yamaha in general. That app just freakin' works, AND the wife can use it without a hitch lol. The other brand I tried since network control became a thing just weren't as good. Maybe the other brands have caught up now, but I don't care. I'm a Yamaha fanboy for life lol.
I like that.

I had been thinking of straying from Yamaha and going to one of the new Anthem AVR's. But I read the whole thread over at AVS and will definitely not be getting that.

If I do upgrade, I'm not in a hurry, I'll go with RX-V6A or wait to see what Aventage model I'd like, when they come out.
Thanks given by:
beefytwinkie (03-01-2021), red_5ive (02-26-2021), Reggie Hammond (02-27-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #423
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
I like that.

I had been thinking of straying from Yamaha and going to one of the new Anthem AVR's. But I read the whole thread over at AVS and will definitely not be getting that.

If I do upgrade, I'm not in a hurry, I'll go with RX-V6A or wait to see what Aventage model I'd like, when they come out.
Anthem is definitely a brand I'd go with if not for the technical issues. But their amps absolutely rock. But even then so, there are specific features in the Yamaha line that I just love for HT, and Yamaha has come such a long way in the HT and music dept sound-wise. I would say give other brands a try, but it's hard for me to recommend spending the $$ to venture out as this can be a very expensive hobby. So these days I say, if you love it, love it!
Thanks given by:
beefytwinkie (03-01-2021), Reggie Hammond (02-27-2021), Scarriere (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:03 AM   #424
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Hi everyone so quick update on my AV controller app issues with the A2. Per my chat with Yamaha support this afternoon. All newer receiver are only compatible with the MusicCast app. We can not use the AV Controller app . I guess I’ll have to get use to using this app. I did love the AV controller app when I had my RX-V679.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-27-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #425
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Anthem is definitely a brand I'd go with if not for the technical issues. But their amps absolutely rock. But even then so, there are specific features in the Yamaha line that I just love for HT, and Yamaha has come such a long way in the HT and music dept sound-wise. I would say give other brands a try, but it's hard for me to recommend spending the $$ to venture out as this can be a very expensive hobby. So these days I say, if you love it, love it!
I was pretty close to getting a Denon when my Yamaha search went nowhere. So I google and I found a bunch of forums where people all had different opinions like "Yamaha is more reliable but Denon sounds better" or something.

Since I have been with Yamaha the better part of ten years, I decided to just stick with Yamaha. Waiting for the release of the new Aventage line. The new face panel kind of reminds me of a cyclops...

So not to go too far off-topic here but in just a few sentences, any chance you guys can humor me and tell me what is wrong with the Anthem receivers? I took a look at their site and it is waaaaay out of my price range. But that sounds like a problem that is in my favor. I would hate to pay that much and have reliability issues.

Last edited by beefytwinkie; 03-01-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #426
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
I was pretty close to getting a Denon when my Yamaha search went nowhere. So I google and I found a bunch of forums where people all had different opinions like "Yamaha is more reliable but Denon sounds better" or something.
Up until the early days of YPAO and pre-Aventage, Yamaha AVRs tended to be on the bright side. While great for HT, music tended to be sharp and a bit on the thin side, and even my ears thought so. I think that stigma still stands today and people either just don't want to give Yamaha a try because of it, or they just continue to go with the flow. But I argue that those days are gone, and YPAO itself has come a long way. Aventage got me to get rid of my 2-channel music setup. The Denon AVRs and the Marantz processor I tried did not. But there is definitely also something to be said about Yamaha being rock solid.

Quote:
Since I have been with Yamaha the better part of ten years, I decided to just stick with Yamaha. Waiting for the release of the new Aventage line. The new face panel kind of reminds me of a cyclops...

So not to go too far off-topic here but in just a few sentences, any chance you guys can humor me and tell me what is wrong with the Anthem receivers? I took a look at their site and it is waaaaay out of my price range. But that sounds like a problem that is in my favor. I would hate to pay that much and have reliability issues.
It has been a while since I read on the subject, but when I was shopping Anthem processors/AVRs, the general consensus was buggy software and features. Things like audio cutting out, network connectivity issues, ARC not working, etc. Those are at least the highlights from what I remember, although that's several-years-old information as I don't know much about the current models.But there's a stigma there, too, with separates companies in that they make great amps, but their processors are often full of bugs. I'll take my 5200 over any $10,000+ processor any day of the week.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #427
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Yamaha has a great reputation for reliability. You'll see people comment that on various forums.
I've had around 6 of their AVR's and never had a problem.

I've also heard that they sound bright. I've seen people not recommend them if your speakers are Klipsh.
Bright works for me. My speakers are Paradigm and sound warm, so it's a nice balance.
I don't know if they still have that "bright" reputation.

Anthem's new AVR's are a mess. They were released before they should've been. All the folks that were waiting for them and purchased them are now beta testers. Customer service has been lacking as well.
I was seriously thinking about the 540 or even the 740, but after reading the whole thread at AVS, no fn way.

I'd like to see the new Aventage line before I upgrade my living room AVR. I'm not in a hurry and Yamaha are worth waiting for.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:10 AM   #428

Dec 2009
Lithonia, GA

Quote:
Yamaha has a great reputation for reliability. You'll see people comment that on various forums.
I've had around 6 of their AVR's and never had a problem.

I've also heard that they sound bright. I've seen people not recommend them if your speakers are Klipsh.
Bright works for me. My speakers are Paradigm and sound warm, so it's a nice balance.
I don't know if they still have that "bright" reputation.

Anthem's new AVR's are a mess. They were released before they should've been. All the folks that were waiting for them and purchased them are now beta testers. Customer service has been lacking as well.
I was seriously thinking about the 540 or even the 740, but after reading the whole thread at AVS, no fn way.

I'd like to see the new Aventage line before I upgrade my living room AVR. I'm not in a hurry and Yamaha are worth waiting for.
I got Klipsch with yamaha and with polk they dont sound too bright I love em
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Today)
Old 03-03-2021, 03:15 AM   #429
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneed123 View Post
I got Klipsch with yamaha and with polk they dont sound too bright I love em
I never used to like the sound of horns, but the stuff I heard from Klipsch the last so many years are more tame than I remember. I actually ended up getting a Klipsch soundbar for the upstairs TV and also a set of bookshelves which are hooked up to an ol' RX-A130. They sounded the best in the $200 category, and have great mid-range which really surprised me.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers