Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
7 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.32

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

The Big Lebowski 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.33

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.29

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #81
Expert Member

Apr 2016
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
BDP7501 :: great player

i'm expecting the same of the BDP7502

i might even check it out myself
Ended up getting it. With The Last Jedi coming out next week I want to see it in DV. Hopefully it will make me like it better this time...
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #82
Expert Member

Feb 2007

nice :: i look forward to your comments after having it awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
Ended up getting it. With The Last Jedi coming out next week I want to see it in DV. Hopefully it will make me like it better this time...
Old 03-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #83
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia
Default out for delivery!

so the tracking shows! I should have this tonight. i'll set it up in the bedroom DV 5.1.2 system tomorrow and give it a go over the weekend. I'm so happy my TCL supports DV out of the box. also that this Philips UHD player now supports DV too; win-win!

i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #84
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia
Default it's here and i'm happy!

so, despite the fact that I have a cold (haven't had one like this since 2013 ) I did finally get around to connecting this up to my bedroom system and giving it a go.

I'd like to give you guys my initial thoughts.

it's nicely packaged, even though it's larger than it's non DV model, the BDP7501, it almost feels like it weighs less!

the build quality is what you would expect for it's price from a non top tier player maker. that's not a knock at it either but, I didn't expect to get an Oppo 203 build from this Philips.

it has no display on the face of it. the only light is the power light on the top right end. interestingly enough, it doesn't bother me that there is no display on the face of it, one less thing lit in the room to distract my eyes possibly while watching the movie.

before I get too far along, i'll let you know what gear is used in the chain as well as the movies used for testing.

Philips BDP 7502 UHD 4K Player - DV/HDR10 ATMOS/DTS:X
TCL 55P605 4K TV DV/HDR10
Marantz NR1607 A/V receiver 4K/DV pass-through ATMOS/DTS:X 5.1.2 cfg
Blue Jeans Cable & Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables
Cat6 Gigabit wired network to everything that has Ethernet capability

first thing after getting it in place and connected, was to update the firmware to get the DV update and that was very fast on the downloading and installing part. then, I made sure to take care of the DV issue by setting the HDR option to AUTO and not to DV. this allows DV not to be forced onto HDR10 only discs allowing them to play in their native HDR10.

I also want to say I have this setup utilizing the dual HDMI configuration, one directly to an HDMI port in the 4K tv for video only and one to an HDMI port in the receiver for audio only. I wanted nothing between the players video output to the tv other than an HDMI cable.

I did not test Netflix, but, I did test youtube and it does support HDR youtube, but, I must say, the playback on some things was choppy and somethings it just stopped playing. mind you, most things played just fine.

I did try the DLNA networking feature and found my NAS on the network and I played some video clips @ 1080p 5.1 DTS-HD-MA they all played fine over the network. I also streamed audio from MP3 to high resolution audio up to 192/24 FLAC & WAV and they all played without incident and sounded great. load times were incredibly fast too.

I tested UHD DV/HDR10 disc as well as some standard HD blu-ray disc. some with ATMOS/DTS:X here is a list of the discs I sampled.

Valerian & the city of a thousand planets - UHD/DV/ATMOS
Pitch Perfect 3 - UHD/HDR10/DTS:X
Thor Ragnarok - UHD/HDR10/ATMOS
Serenity - UHD/HDR10/DTS:X
Justice League - UHD/DV/ATMOS
Jumanji: welcome to the jungle - UHD/DV/ATMOS
Everest - ATMOS
The last witch hunter - DTS:X

start up time from push of power button to home screen was about 7 seconds.

start up for disc menu screen from tray loading was also about 7 seconds on average, very fast.

DV disc once loaded went straight to DV and stayed there even at the menu page. same was true with HDR10 discs.

IMG_5875.jpg

it was like magic for me to see that info on the screen from the player!

until I got this player I had only seen 4K content one of two ways, either with the non DV version of this player or via apps from the tv and they all looked amazing.
however, every UHD DV/HDR10 looked absolutely draw dropping. the sheer power and raw beauty of uncompressed video full streaming of the UHD disc reminds me that physical media, for the foreseeable future has nothing to worry about!

I mean, I was absolutely floored by the beauty of the images I was seeing especially with the DV UHD's. don't get me wrong, the HDR10 videos were very, very nice too, but, I have to give the pop outta the cake stuff to DV.

the audio was nothing short of it's usual amazing be it ATMOS or DTS:X

I tried everything with all the disc to see if I could crack the machine, I paused it then pressed play again, fast fwd then play, jumped to another scene and nothing failed to work correctly once play was pressed again. the audio was perfect, no sync issues.

for me, playback of everything was flawless on both video & audio fronts. that doesn't mean that I didn't have any issue. I must tell you, that, at least with mine, it is noisy. I don't mean freight train noisy, but, you know that disc is spinning. once you have some volume on your movie, you won't notice it until you get really quiet scenes, they you will depending on how close the player is to you. also, the fan is running too. despite the fact that my player is in a vertical a/v rack, open on all 4 sides with almost 6 inches of space to the top of the shelf above it.

if you are expecting dead silence, this is not going to work out for you. perhaps I got a bum one with the noise, but, I've read other people say it's got some noise to it so, perhaps mine is on par for the course. the model it replaced, the 7501 also had some noise to it at times depending on what it was playing. but, it had no fan. since this is for my bedroom, I can tolerate the noise, it's not so loud that I can't enjoy the movie. even if this was in my HT I might be able to tolerate it there since I'm farther away from the player and I listen to movies a bit louder in my HT than in the bedroom because it's a larger room.

also, all of my other a/v gear in my bedroom rack or in my HT rack all have power cords that are on the back left as you face the front of them. the good thing about those is that you can cable all your power cords on one side of the rack and all the video/audio cables down the other side of the rack. having said that, this player has the power cord on the back right as you face the front of it and it's not detachable, so, you have to live with it.

oh and yes, those are my only two complaints about the unit, a bit noisy and the power cords on the wrong side.

those are things I can live with. the other things I can live with is that it worked out of the box, within a few minutes of connectivity, I had DV capability and every single UHD disc I put in it played without exception.

I will tell anyone looking for a low cost, quality DV capable player that starts up and loads incredibly fast, plays discs like nothing, plays audio from MP3 up to 192/24 FLAC/WAV as well as video streaming from a NAS (or pc) and your looking to spend $199.99, then, this is your player.

so far, up to this point, it's Uncle Solarrdadd Approved!
Thanks given by:
afr52 (03-25-2018), Heapashifter (04-08-2018), redxrebellion (03-25-2018), Scarriere (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #85
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

one thing I forgot to mention, the upscaling of the 1080p input out to 4K/24hz is quite amazing, the picture displayed for The Last Witch Hunter & Everest, both HD 1080p Blu-ray disc looked absolutely stunning. I didn't have a DVD handy to check that out, but, perhaps later today I will find a couple and test them out.

well, I've taken some Nyquil about 30 minutes ago and it's kicking in big time. so time to give this old body some rest so it can battle this cold!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #86
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

I just got this player yesterday. So far I’ve watched The Dark Crystal 4K and Iron Man on Blu-ray. Both looked amazing. As solarrdadd mentioned above the load times are really fast and the quality of 4K and upscaling to 4K are gorgeous.

I have this running via 2 Hdmi ports, one to my new Vizio P65-E1 4K Tv for video and the other to my Onkyo receiver. So far I very pleased with this player. Mine runs pretty quiet, no noise that I noticed. I’m really looking forward to firing up The Last Jedi with this on Tuesday. I might go pick up Pacific Rim today and watch that tonight with my son, it’s one of our favorite films.

I haven’t tried Netflix or YouTube yet. I did upgrade my Netflix account to UHD though and plan on watching season 2 of Jessica Jones this week.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #87
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

did find one other issue. the infrared sensor/receiver is on the far right of the unit and it's not on the face. the front has an odd design and it's bottom front is angled at about 45 degrees and that is where the sensor is located. that makes it a bit harder to get the remote to hit the target.

philips UHD player.jpg

the sensor is that tiny little square next to the USB input. aside from it's placement, it's a tiny, tiny sensor window. most are larger than that.

I'm gonna resolve that with a $10 infrared extender from amazon. I got one for my tv in my 2 channel setup because something was blocking the sensor and it worked like magic.

i'll keep you guys posted. it's minor, but, if your off axis then you have to constantly move your aim of the remote to get it to pick up a command. not sure why they chose to do it like this, but, fortunately, there is a workaround.

i'll have the cable by Tuesday and i'll hook it up. oh yeah, it does need USB power so, you can either use the front USB port or if you have a spare on your receiver or one built into your plug strip or an external one that's perfect as the cable does not come with power.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #88
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

I have tested more discs today and every single one of them passed with flying colors! (pun intended )

The Cabin in the woods - UHD/DV/ATMOS
Power Rangers - UHD/DV/ATMOS
War for the planet of the apes - UHD/HDR/ATMOS
King Kong Ultimate edition - UHD/HDR/DTS:X
Jumanji welcome to the jungle - UHD/DV/ATMOS
Van Helsing - UHD/HDR/DTS:X
Transformer Prime Beast hunters predacons rising - HD Blu-ray/DTS-HD-MA 5.1
Transformer Prime Beast hunters predacons rising - DVD/DD 5.1
Star Trek TOS - HD Blu-ray/ DTS-HD-MA 7.1

once again, everything played perfectly with no exception. I will say that the DVD upconverting to 4k was kinda nice. I'd like to check out something other than animated before I say it was really good.

standard HD Blu-ray's look amazing upconverted to 4K Star Trek TOS, remastered, looked incredible in 4K man, the Enterprise looked amazing orbiting planets and the planets looked amazing too!

I do want to mention a standout, only because I've never seen it before today, War for the Planet of the Apes, the first 30 minutes, looked and sounded simply amazing, perfect, I mean what a job they did with this movie. almost looked like a documentary what a splendid job they did with the woods and the audio was super creepy at times which made it amazing. LFE rattled my junk!

one other thing I did take note of, the player was all but silent when playing dvd's and Blu-ray's. the level of noise picked up only when playing UHD discs. so, that I find interesting. no matter, this thing is a keeper.

time for a Turkey Pot Pie!
Thanks given by:
afr52 (05-04-2018), mojojojo (03-26-2018), ribbonking (03-26-2018), Scarriere (03-26-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 AM   #89
Expert Member

Apr 2016
MD

So I finally hooked it up tonight to my 2016 OLED and I'm having all kinds of issues maybe someone can help. To even see the players menu I have to turn HDMI Ultra deep color off in the TV settings.

once a Dolby Vision disc starts the TV recognizes the DV and tells me I need to turn deep color back on which causes the TV to have to be turned off and on again.

My only options for HDMI out from the player are Dolby Vision, SDR, and Auto. If I choose Auto or SDR I have to turn the Deep color back on in the TV settings to watch 4K discs in HDR.

Frankly the Dolby Vision picture settings on my OLED need to be adjusted but so far I don't think the picture looks better than hdr at all. I actually like the way it looked on the previous 7501 player better with just HDR.

About to return it unless I can get this fixed. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #90
Expert Member

Apr 2016
MD

Quote:
So I finally hooked it up tonight to my 2016 OLED and I'm having all kinds of issues maybe someone can help. To even see the players menu I have to turn HDMI Ultra deep color off in the TV settings.

once a Dolby Vision disc starts the TV recognizes the DV and tells me I need to turn deep color back on which causes the TV to have to be turned off and on again.

My only options for HDMI out from the player are Dolby Vision, SDR, and Auto. If I choose Auto or SDR I have to turn the Deep color back on in the TV settings to watch 4K discs in HDR.

Frankly the Dolby Vision picture settings on my OLED need to be adjusted but so far I don't think the picture looks better than hdr at all. I actually like the way it looked on the previous 7501 player better with just HDR.

About to return it unless I can get this fixed. Any help is appreciated.
Rookie mistake!! Changed out the HDMI cable with the one that came with the player and everything works. Now just need to get some good DV settings.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #91
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Rookie mistake!! Changed out the HDMI cable with the one that came with the player and everything works. Now just need to get some good DV settings.
There shouldn't be any Dolby Vision settings! Just do your basic audio, video setup, and that's all you need to do. If the Screen Saver is not preset to the "On" position direct from the manufacturer, switch it on.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #92
Power Member

Feb 2007
Union County NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
There shouldn't be any Dolby Vision settings! Just do your basic audio, video setup, and that's all you need to do. If the Screen Saver is not preset to the "On" position direct from the manufacturer, switch it on.
Most TV default settings are absolute garbage. I've never kept the default, including for DV
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #93
Expert Member

Apr 2016
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I mean for my C6 OLED. When it receives a DV signal it flips over to all new settings. I have it set for all other inputs to professional but those are overridden by DV.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #94

Mar 2018

I purchased the Sam's Club version from their recent sale, BDP7302. Set up was easy as was the update for Dolby Vision. Have only watched a couple of 4k movies, The Revenant and DeadPool. Both looked great to me. Also played a couple of regular blu-ray movies and they were upscaled nicely. My TV has Roku built in so I only checked the You Tube and Netflix apps on the Philips to be certain they worked.

Seems like a good, solid device. No issues at all for me.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #95
Special Member

Jul 2008

Decided to import this and put it side by side against my Samsung UBD-K8500.

I need to replace my region A player and so this has become my region A replacement and will be my default playback player for Dolby Vision disks.

When Samsung end firmware updates for it I will end up replace my UBD-K8500 but for now I am happy to keep it since it still plays my UHD/3D/Blu-ray disks with no issues so far.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #96

Nov 2012

For some reason Philips hasn't seen fit to actually release this player yet around these parts (Belgium), so I've been looking into buying it off of Amazon.com. Unfortunately, there also don't seem to be any pictures/videos online that I've been able to find that show the back of the player.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of power connector it has and if it's capable of running on 230 V.

Could anyone who actually owns one of these please shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #97

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps-gunkie View Post
I'm interested in knowing what kind of power connector it has and if it's capable of running on 230 V.
The back of the machine says AC120V/60Hz. Hope that helps!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #98
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps-gunkie View Post
For some reason Philips hasn't seen fit to actually release this player yet around these parts (Belgium), so I've been looking into buying it off of Amazon.com. Unfortunately, there also don't seem to be any pictures/videos online that I've been able to find that show the back of the player.

Could anyone who actually owns one of these please shed some light on this?

Thanks!
As Christophe_v said its AC120V/60Hz and also 19 watts under load. I had to find that in a manual and would of been better if they put the Load on the site as well as the standby. Having found the load I know the adapter I got that is more then enough for it since I needed to know the watts as well.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #99
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

This is a great player. I’ve had mine for over a months and not a single issue
Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #100
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxrebellion View Post
This is a great player. Iíve had mine for over a months and not a single issue
That's great to hear. I not seen many complains against this player.

I was looking at the UP970 as a Dolby Vision player upgrade and well first hand experience was crap so when I heard of this player it was my next choice for a Dolby Vision player.

It just reached customs today so I should have it some point this week and then start watching films in Dolby Vision this week.

Just now need LG to issue for their 2016 TVs the fix for the Elevated blacks with their Dolby Vision over HDMI.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology