Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
10 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97
10 hrs ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
The Unnamable (Blu-ray)
$18.89

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$87.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #62841
Special Member

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
I think that was for technical reasons or at least thats what they were saying here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/r...good.50022173/
There is no definitive proof of given for why, just some hearsay really. I'm going to guess it gets chalked back to some joker at Skywalker Sound screwing with the mix, like when Leia fired that .45 in the Death Star. As far as I can tell the only true experts on SW don't work for LucasArts or Disney, they are the obsessed fans who've watched it 100x and who can pick out which sound or line is wrong instantly or who was under what mask when. Most of everyone getting paid to do these things just does as they are told as professionally as possible. I bet a lot of those little audio changes just crept in and George just goes "sounds good to me." Heck, half the audio commentaries for my favorite movies the director starts off by saying "well this should be good, I haven't watched this in 10 years..." which boggles my mind
Thanks given by:
AaronY (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #62842
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
Definitely a worthwhile purchase if you ask me. I was totally psyched that they restored the correct take of 'Man Against Beast'. When they remixed Jaws for the DVD release there was tape damage to that track so a different take was used. The Intrada release restores the take from the original mono!
It was Day One purchase...I love Intrada, my only gripe is limiting the runs. Sure, it creates buyer urgency, a common sales technique, but at the same time, stops people from having legit access to great work. I only have a few Intrada releases...The Black Cauldron, Temple of Doom, A.I., Those Calloways (Max Steiner), The Rescuers Down Under, Hook, Empire of the Sun.
Thanks given by:
crissrudd4554 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #62843
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

This is the biggest pain in the ass thread to read on the entire forum. Even when I skip to the last page I still can't be bothered to wade through it all.
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (04-21-2017), jvonl (04-20-2017), Panama Jack (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #62844
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
This is the biggest pain in the ass thread to read on the entire forum. Even when I skip to the last page I still can't be bothered to wade through it all.
The Prequels suck, George Lucas didn't rape your childhood, the BDs look and sound like crap and we are never getting the UOT. Now you are all caught up.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #62845
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
Heck, half the audio commentaries for my favorite movies the director starts off by saying "well this should be good, I haven't watched this in 10 years..." which boggles my mind
Shouldn't be surprising, you move on to what you're doing on your next job, take care of family, etc.
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (04-21-2017), Geoff D (04-20-2017), StingingVelvet (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #62846
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Heck, half the audio commentaries for my favorite movies the director starts off by saying "well this should be good, I haven't watched this in 10 years..." which boggles my mind
Why dost it boggle thine noggin, good sir? The one overriding thing that seems common to most artists IMO is that they don't like revisiting past work, and movies in particular take a LOT out of people, potentially years of one's life if investing into a franchise or whatever. Directors and editors will have seen the movie hundreds of times over during post-production, and in modern times with all that CG it means having to QC hundreds or even thousands of shots, sending them back multiple times with revisions and changes and whatever. Regardless of whether they feel the end product is a misfire or a masterpiece, they're usually in no hurry to watch it again, and if you're in the middle of a blockbuster franchise then the work on the next one starts just as soon as the previous is one is completed, e.g. James Gunn said he started writing Guardians Vol.2 the day that Vol.1 premiered!
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #62847
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Artists are often their own worst critics, whether its actors, composers, directors, etc. Many have said they need a lot of time to separate themselves emotionally from the actual experience of making their film, so they can better enjoy it as a viewer. We see the final result, but they have a ton of memories most of us will never experience.
"I (may) disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Evelyn Beatrice Hall~

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." ~Dennis Prager~

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (04-21-2017), Geoff D (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #62848
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
The Prequels suck, George Lucas didn't rape your childhood, the BDs look and sound like crap and we are never getting the UOT. Now you are all caught up.
You forgot about more posters complaining about wading through those comments that don't agree with it all!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #62849
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
One day there will be an ultimate archive edition which will have every version available in a mix and match and you can choose your own version to watch.
From article.

I wonder if it already exists.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #62850
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisForever View Post
From article.

I wonder if it already exists.
Meanwhile, at Disney/Lucasfilm:

IMG_0689.JPG
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (04-21-2017), fontcow (04-21-2017), HD Goofnut (04-20-2017), Jakdonark (04-23-2017), Michael24 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #62851
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
Artists are often their own worst critics, whether its actors, composers, directors, etc. Many have said they need a lot of time to separate themselves emotionally from the actual experience of making their film, so they can better enjoy it as a viewer. We see the final result, but they have a ton of memories most of us will never experience.
Yeah. And (following on from my comment up there ^) the ones that DO want to revisit their work are the ones who incessantly tinker (your Manns, your Lucases) and cause the fans no end of consternation because they simply can't say to themselves "Indiana...let it go".
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #62852
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
Meanwhile, at Disney/Lucasfilm:

Attachment 167667
I was being sarcastic.

But yes there is more in hiding.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #62853
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yeah. And (following on from my comment up there ^) the ones that DO want to revisit their work are the ones who incessantly tinker (your Manns, your Lucases) and cause the fans no end of consternation because they simply can't say to themselves "Indiana...let it go".
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #62854
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyscott View Post
I don't know who specifically had input in the recent installments, but from what's been posted on this forum it seems like creative decisions are being based on satisfying the largest variety of demographic both domestically and worldwide (the four quadrant approach etc.,) whereas there was a distinctly different source of creative traction in the original trilogy.
Yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nobody was ever out to NOT take advantage of SW being a money-machine, that's what Hollywood is. That being said, they were trying to tell stories, about the rise and fall of a human being, the rise of an evil tyrant who runs a fascist empire. These new movies have...uhh....well, there's nostalgia, and it's like the OT. So...congrats? I guess?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #62855
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

I was a lowly grunt for Sony Imageworks, and I've only seen the completed films I worked on once or twice. You move on to your next job, that's your priority, you really don't have time to look back. Plus, you were there, you already saw the shots a billion times. Sun comes up, wife needs coffee, you have things to do...hey...here is something important. I post a lot of glib nonsense, because that's me, I'm a goofball...but here is something important...

Who you are is not your job. You are not your job. Your life is not your job. Directing a movie, acting in a movie, writing a movie (or game or what have you) -- that's not your life. It's something you do while living your life. Never, ever get that backwards, because that is a gruesome horrible path to walk, and there's no light at the end of that tunnel. I've witnessed so many people get into the arts for the wrong reasons (insecurity and need for validation and applause, etc.), and when they achieve some fame, they wake up the next day, the only thing that's changed is that they're temporarily known, but their life hasn't changed. They still have the same issues. They made it to the end of the rainbow, but it didn't miracle away anything, they wake up to just another day. People are surprised by, say, celebrity deaths from drug abuse...fame is an empty drug, and eventually, you can't even buy the empty drug. What they thought was going to fill the hole turns out to only dig the hole deeper. You have to be grounded. Working in the entertainment industry is a job. It is not your life. No job should be your life. Family, friends, community, faith. That's your life.
Thanks given by:
Alan_Grant (04-21-2017), bobbyh64 (04-21-2017), captveg (04-20-2017), Jakdonark (04-23-2017), Optimus-Prime-Rox (04-20-2017), rickah88 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #62856
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

You are Dominic Toretto and I claim my five pounds.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #62857

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisForever

The point was that Lucas always fiddled with the movies in one way or another, and when he got more money, he did more changes.
You are right. He has got 4 billion dollars on his bank account now. And for every single dollar his “final vision of the day“ got worse.

I guess guess that's the benefit of massive amounts of money: For showing the world the middle finger somebody will always step up to glorify the turd.

Last edited by Amano; 04-21-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Thanks given by:
svenge (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #62858
Banned

Jan 2017
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
The Prequels rock, George Lucas didn't rape your childhood, the BDs look and sound like crap and we are never getting the UOT. Now you are all caught up.
slightly edit
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #62859
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano View Post
You are right. He has got 4 billion dollars on his bank account now. And for every single dollar his “final vision of the day“ got worse.
I thought he donated that money to educational charity.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 AM   #62860
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefan101 View Post
The Blu Rays look fine on my TV. (Though I wish I had the money to get my TV calibrated). If only I had a soundbar, and a subwoofer to go with it. However, my family and I are moving to an apartment soon, so having a sound system would be unwise.
I live in a relatively small two bedroom apartment and I have a sound system. The front left and right are my floor-standing hi-fi speakers that I always had. The center channel sits under the TV. The left and right surrounds are bookshelf speakers on stands and sit on either side of the couch. And I have a subwoofer that sits hidden in a corner, although I only turn it on when watching a popcorn movie before 10pm.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America